Lego Car Wars: Build A Rolling, Disastrous Gunwall In Scraps

By Nathan Grayson on November 27th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Optimus Prime, as depicted by someone with more Michael-Bay-like sensibilities than Michael Bay.

They told me I was crazy. They told me my head wasn’t screwed on right – that it was all nuts and bolts rattling around inside. They claimed my ideas were “laughably lethal” and “wait no I’m not laughing anymore because a prototype of one of your ideas is currently running me over and shooting me at the same time.” But Scraps – a build-your-own wheeled guncar monstrosity game that’s now on Kickstarter – will let me show them all. Oh yes. My colleagues at the Lego Racers and Kerbal Space Program University of Engineering, an Ivy League institution, won’t even know what hit ‘em. Well, at least once I make my car do the thing where its wheels stay on the ground and not, um, anywhere else. I took some video of my attempts for your amusement and – ahem – educational enrichment. You can view that below.

Scraps’ Kickstarter is asking for $23,000 NZD, and assuming it goes careening past the finish line – injuring hundreds in the process – it’ll add more parts, more customization options, and evolve into this thing:

“Scraps is a little bit like Kerbal Space Program except the spaceships are vehicles and they fight. Scraps will be a primarily multiplayer game. Single-player will be the same modes as multiplayer, but with AI players. A career mode where you earn money to upgrade your vehicles and progress would be nice, but is simply outside the scope of a one-man dev team.”

“Initially standard Deathmatch (all-against-all melee) and Team Deathmatch modes will be available. Think Twisted Metal. Later I’d like to add race modes and so on, but these will depend on the game doing well enough to sustain development. Here’s hoping it does because I really want to keep working on this. There will also be a sandbox mode where you can simply construct and test vehicles with unlimited available funds.”

I am intrigued. The current demo is pretty barebones and the building interface needs some work, but there’s definitely potential. If all goes according to plan, an alpha will launch toward the middle of 2014, with a 1.0 release following When It’s Done. Who fancies giving this one a push?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Lev Astov says:

Umm, the casing seems to be still attached to that projectile after being fired…

That won’t stop me from backing this, however.

• Harlander says:

It shoots the whole bullet! That’s 20% more bullet per bullet!

2. Captain Joyless says:

So Gimbal, then?

• KDR_11k says:

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts with a combat focus?

• Zankmam says:

Does Gimbal still have players?

• Phasma Felis says:

It’s exactly like Gimbal. Except with cars instead of spaceships. And on the ground instead of space. And third-person 3D instead of overhead 2D. So, um, not very much like Gimbal at all.

3. DatonKallandor says:

Yeah that’s less Kerbal Space Program and more Car-based Gimbal.

• phuzz says:

See, now you’ve got me wondering how I could build a GUNCAR in KSP…

4. Qazinsky says:

Nathan, although I like you as a writer, I feel like you missed your true calling as a rogue mechanic, sneaking into peoples garages at night and fixing their cars like some kind of vehicular-themed gnome!

5. kwyjibo says:

This car building mechanic (lololol) reminds me of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, only without the charm.

6. draigdrwg says:

Oh, now you’ve made me recall the days when I was a child, when lego games weren’t just the same game with a different licensed franchise. (Not that those games are bad, just that there used to be a lot more variety)

7. Skiv says:

Sorry, can’t hear you over the sound of my rolling gunship on wheels with 15 cannons on one side

8. Keymonk says:

Nathan, next time you’re recording a video over a game, could you turn down the game sound? It’s super loud and I can’t hear what you’re saying half the time. :(

• oyog says:

Seconded. This seems to be a pretty consistent problem with your videos. You could maybe do a test video to see what the volume levels of the game should be before you record your actual video.

• SillyWizard says:

Is your mic picking up the sound from your speakers? Using a headset might help you get the sound levels right.

• SuicideKing says:

Thirded.

9. Alisa3546 says:

I simply got paid $9000 operating off my laptop computer this month. And if you’re thinking that it is cool, and you also want to earn money then you are on the right way just go to this site for amazing details……….> W­W­W.B­L­U­E­4­8.C­O­M

10. Baines says:

I’ll say the same things that gets said every time RPS makes a “Let’s Play” style video… Please turn down the game audio if you are going to speak. (Either turn it down when recording, or mix it differently if you are recording on separate channels.)

While your voice can be heard over the background music, the engine sound drowns out your voice while playing.

11. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

I think I’d be interested if the car construction went a bit beyond ‘drop in an engine’, ‘bolt on guns’. It seems a bit basic, like mucking around in GMod – if there were some basic powertrain/suspension options I’d be sold, however.

• LukeZaz says:

It does have suspension sliders for the front & back, if that’s what you’re looking for. In addition to that, weaponry DOES need power, which is made via Generators and stored via Capacitors (and a little bit is also stored by generators themselves). Go see the trailer if you haven’t already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLy2CmLT7w

12. Trenna says:

Generators, man! That’s why your guns can’t fire on the last vehicle. Those capacitors just let you store more power. You need generators to have enough power coming in to fire the guns. See the power meter at the bottom right.

13. SuicideKing says:

This, Mr Grayson, is how it’s done:

(sorry youtube account set ups seem sort of complicated).

14. Ross Angus says:

Car Wot Goes Futt.

15. Rumpel says:

god damnit nathan. it has been MONTHS since your daikatana video, how can you still not have figured out how to adjust sound levels on your videos?

16. Metr13 says:

DEAR GOD YOU RUMBLE A LOT!

Seriously, what is it with you people? You make a video entitled “here I show this stuff”, and then you go on and on AND ON in it telling “this, is stuff. I am going to be showing this stuff. Did I already mention that this is stuff? Stuff. Oh, sorry, I accidentally actually done something, my fault. Oh well, no point to go back to main menu now, we can talk about stuff here.”

Seriously, wasting two minutes of 9-minute video to just rumble is infuriating.