Battlestart: The Mandate Hits Crowdfunding Goal

By Nathan Grayson on November 28th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Based on what I’ve seen and read of The Mandate so far, it sounds like an Admiral Adama simulator – only Tsar-ier. Given that I still plan on growing up to be Battlestar Galactica’s equal parts lovable and loathsome (also wise beyond his wrinkles) leader type, I am very OK with this. RPS’ own Admiral Adam interviewed developer Perihelion recently, and new details only left me more eager to bring up a hotheaded crew as if they were my own space-laser-equipped gosling flock. Even so, there was still cause for worry. Mandate’s development mandates $500,000, and for a while it didn’t look like it was going to make it. But now it’s crossed safely into sector 500K of the Kickstarter Nebula, ensuring that it’ll enter full development before too much longer.

Perihelion is, understandably, quite pleased:

“We have passed our funding goal of 500.000 and we are very happy!!! Thank you to all backers who believed in us, Brian Fargo, Kevin Saunders, Angry Joe, Scott Manley and everybody else who supported the campaign! Thanks too to everyone who supports us from this point on.”

There are, however, still four days left on the clock, and Mandate is already within reach of its $550,000 stretch goal, which would give $100 and above backers better rewards. That’s not particularly exciting for, you know, everyone else, but away missions on planets ($600,000), starbase boarding ($700,000), and mod tools ($800,000) sound a bit more worthy of valiant piggy bank sacrifice.

Honestly though, I’m not the biggest fan of stretch goals in general, and I’m plenty pleased that Mandate has enough fuel to get off the launch pad as is. An alpha should begin around December 2014, with the “final” game following in 2015. Who’s gone all tsarry-eyed for this one?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tyrmot says:

Very glad this made it. For a while looked a bit touch and go. Hope it lives up to the potential! I think this has to be my last kickstarter for a while now till some of my previous ones start coming in..

2. fiendling says:

I was tsarry-eyed from day one, I just couldn’t resist.

The Mandate looks like it has the potential to scratch almost all of my gaming itches.

3. onsamyj says:

Can I humbly suggest “Imagine Nations” for checking out? Maybe people tired of “Minecraft-clones”, but I’m, for one, in constant search for next step, and this (and “EQN Landmark”, maybe) seriously looks like it. And they need help with their KS, like, really.

4. Ollie32 says:

Im making over $7k a mℴnth working part time. I kept hearing ℴther peℴple tell me hℴw much mℴney they can make ℴnline sℴ I decided tℴ lℴℴk intℴ it. Well, it was all true and has tℴtally changed my life. This is what I dℴ……….

5. Teovald says:

Very glad they are going to make it; I am not quite sure what happened, but the campaign suddenly snowballed a couple of days ago.
    Since so many games lores are extremely USA-centric, another country and culture entirely is enough to give this game a breath of fresh air. On top of that, space battles that can be resolved in bording phases sounds properly awesome.

• LVX156 says:

There were a few YouTubers who pledged and made videos about The Mandate. Scott Manley has done a few videos, and AngryJoe pledged about a week ago, and I think that helped a lot.

Except for in the middle of summer, this is probably the worst time to start a Kickstarter – two new consoles being launched, a multitude of new titles being launched, and the holidays are just around the corner.I’m really glad they made it, and I hope we can get some stretch goals in there, and even though $800,000 seems like a lot right now I’m still hoping, because modding makes everything better.

• Cinek says:

Not really. Plenty of really successful KS campaigns were run around that time (September-November). And I don’t see how consoles affect campaigns on kickstarter – if someone is interested in blockbuster titles – he doesn’t go on kickstarter. If someone is not – he doesn’t go for consoles. These are two very different markets.

• InternetBatman says:

Their press blitz included a trailer with VO from an actor on game of thrones and the announcement that he would be voice acting in the game proper.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

I didn’t back it but I am glad it succeeded. I have my fingers in too many pies as it were already.

6. Maxheadroom says:

In concept it seems a lot like the obscure Amiga game Rules of Engagement which I’ve been waiting 20 years for someone to remake (tactical 3d space biffs with Laser Squad style boarding operations)

I’ll be beyond gutted if this turns out to be another x-rebirth-level dissapointment

7. bills6693 says:

I’m looking forward to this immensley. The only downside to me is the far away delivery date. 2015! I’ll be joining the real Navy before then!

However on the plus side at least it looks realistic. Not one of these games where the devs think they’ll have it done in 9 months and 18 months later they’re still unreleased/alpha/beta. Hopefully 2015 IS a delivery date they make :)

8. Bluerps says:

I’m a bit worried that the half million they asked for won’t be enough, because it’s such an ambitious game. But I decided to risk it, and gave them some money anyway.

• Cinek says:

Yea, me too. Part of the reason why I didn’t back it – seemingly unrealistic financial target.
      I will gladly buy it after the release though. IF it ever gets released.

• bills6693 says:

I think they’ve got the budgeting fairly well pinned down. There’s a chart of their people requirements, and that is their only real cost. Unlike something like Double Fine, they’re not paying for an office, they’re not paying for all these extra things. Its a team of individuals around the world working from home, the only cost is salaries, and they are only paying indie-level salaries. Based on this, it looks pretty feasible for a budget…

9. coffeetable says:

The development budget linked off that page lists 200 dev-months to finish the game. On $500k. That works out to about £18,000 per dev-year. Even before overheads, that’s ridiculously low – the Double Fine Adventure and Project Eternity figures are all up at £60,000-£100,000 per dev-year.

Have they just lowballed it to stop from scaring anyone off, or is their entire dev team fresh out of (not a very good) university?

10. kud13 says:

I’m very happy this made it. They’ve pitched an ambitious project, and they’ve shown enough nuts and bolts to make me think they can pull it off. I wasn’t sold on the first trailer, but having watched the pitch video, I was. while i’m not overly familiar with their inspiration TV material, I’ve loved the games that seem to be influencing the systems they are implementing, and this kind of genre-mashing is precisely the kind of things I want to give Kickstarter projects money for.

11. Moraven says:

I look forward to this but have KS fatigue along with a lot of KS I backuped over expanding their scope and becoming bloated. Once we see more games released and not just early access my faith may be restored.

12. dahools says:

Decided to plunge on this instead of getting an Aurora LX last week I think spreading my money about should be better than going all in on one game it looks good so far and some of the design decisions they are taking I am liking so hopefully it will come to fruition a year or two down the line.

13. DrManhatten says:

Maybe they could have a tie-in with S.T.A.L.I.N vs Martians 3. Probably the most ridiculous kickstarter project right now (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/895349342/stalin-vs-martians-3)

14. OscarWilde1854 says:

“December 2014″.. Does anyone else feel like a year from now things will be so much bigger and better? I realize it takes time to make a game.. but somehow it just seems like the full game coming it “2015″ is a bit to far away for this game to remain relevant. Meh, who knows.

15. MrEvilGuy says:

I was hoping actual ghosts would show up and start causing internal problems to the admiral, such as scaring new recruits in the john.

Also, the voice of Admiral Adama for narration should be an extended goal.

Comment on this story