Keen Thinking: MURI

By Alec Meer on November 28th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Ah, life was easier back in the days of DOS. No, that’s bollocks: you had to dick around with command lines, XMS/EMS, monitors the size of bears and games which required 17 floppy disks. Also the only Nandos in the UK was in London. Rubbish. However, I am taken straight back to a childhood of acne and EGA in a vaguely pleasant nostalgo-haze when gazing upon this footage of DOS-style jumpy-shooter MURI.

Whole lotta early Commander Keen Duke Nukem in there, plus several games I don’t currently consciously recall but whose names will make me go OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH if someone writers them below.

This is a solo project from Daniel Remar of Swedish dev Ludosity, who you may know from the likes of Hyper Princess Pitch and Hero Core. He promises “an authentic 80s experience”, but apparently that entails 16-colour graphics, a cheesy sci-fi story and switching between run-and-gun and more tactical shootybanging, rather than Margaret Thatcher snatching your milk to an Ultravox soundtrack.

An “optional mode” will apparently smooth out the framerate, scrolling and whatnot for anyone who thinks Muri is too old-fashioned. WIMPS.

The game’s due out “this holiday”, which presumably means any time in the next four weeks. Unless he somehow means my next holiday, which isn’t until July. I’m going to Barbados for my partner’s brother’s wedding! Anyone know how well they cater to vegetarians there?

, , , .

Lexx87 says:

Did this get reposted at 9 or did I go into some kind of Alec only future.

• Ollie32 says:

Im making over $7k a mℴnth working part time. I kept hearing ℴther peℴple tell me hℴw much mℴney they can make ℴnline sℴ I decided tℴ lℴℴk intℴ it. Well, it was all true and has tℴtally changed my life. This is what I dℴ……….

2. GallonOfAlan says:

Yes definitely Keen and the 2D Duke Nukems, Bio Menace too.

3. ChainsawCharlie says:

Wouldn’t mind throwing few monies at this. I know his previous games are free.

4. Kaeoschassis says:

A new Remar game? Well, there goes my week…

5. JFS says:

We’re going back and back and back… I wonder when the first indie videogame dev will start selling boardgames, because videogames aren’t yet invented.

• NailBombed says:

Still better than the current trend of Shoot Of Man: Unrealistically Realistic Manshoot 2 Electric Boogaloo.

6. Spacewalk says:

Games like Bio-menace, Dangerous Dave In the Haunted Mansion and Alien Carnage.

• NailBombed says:

… were all great. Also Hocus Pocus, Monster Bash, the Keen series etc. The DOS years were a veritable goldmine for ace platformers.

7. jumblesale says:

Secret Agent

• NailBombed says:

I see your Secret Agent, and raise you a Crystal Caves.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Oof. Right in the childhood.

Throwing Space Chase out there as well, since very people seem to remember it. But it might as well have just been Duke Nukem again anyway…

Hodge says:

Oh man, I’m pretty sure I had that exact Compaq monitor.

9. Dugular says:

Love the shadow effects in the dark rooms. Reminds me a lot of Commander Keen!

Leaving our beloved PC territory for this next comment, but… you think at the end of the game the feminine looking main character will take off the armour and reveal she’s really a he?

10. Ergates_Antius says:

I’ve never eaten at a Nandos – what’s it like?

11. DrManhatten says:

Looks shit! When I want to play a game from the 80s I play an original game from the 80s on an emulator. When will people stop using this lame RETRO-excuse for having zero art skills. This is 2013 not 1987.

• Kaeoschassis says:

A quick hint for survival on the internet and indeed on this planet – it is not a crime for people to like things you do not like, or to want to play things you do not want to play. The operative part of your statement is not “Looks shit!” but “When I want to play”.

“When I”

“I”

Get my point?

As an aside, I think it looks lovely. Not lovely because it’s retro, but lovely because it’s lovely.

• DrManhatten says:

Art is for Art sake but this is not Art this is just being lazy. I have seen ASCII art games that looks better than that pile of rubbish

• MadTinkerer says:

T-t-t-troll! T-t-t-t-t-t… T-t-t-t-troll! Trollol-lololollll… T-t-t-taaa-rollllllll! Lalalala-lolllllll! Ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-troll! Troll-la-lollin’! T-t-t-t-trolll-oh-ollllll!

The actual tune was lost in translation, but there’s my little musical tribute to your outstanding contribution to internet culture. Truly you are the kind of user they had in mind when ARPANET was invented. I bow to your superior Netiquette. Never ever stop to think before gracing us with your unimpeachable opinion.