We Like Short Shorts: Saxxy 2013 Winners Announced

By Graham Smith on November 28th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

These guys.

The Saxxy Awards are Valve’s annual celebration of the Source Filmmaker community and their efforts to make short films using the Source engine and Valve’s game assets. The community has been producing better and better stuff since the tool was released three years ago, and this year’s winners, nominees and honourable mentions are all worth ruining your productivity over.

Here’s the deserving Overall Winner for this year.

It’s interesting that with all the game assets now available to use in the game, Team Fortress 2 is still the overwhelming favourite for the community. Is that something technical – better facial rigging on TF2 characters – or is that the nature of those characters lending themselves better to different narratives than Left 4 Dead or Portal? I don’t know, I’m genuinely asking you.

If you would like to know more about the process of how Source Filmmaker shorts get made, check out interview from last week with James McVinnie, the director of previous Saxxy nominee Practical Problems and the upcoming End of the Line.

Alternatively, continue to enjoy the fruits of other people’s labor by watching the winner in this year’s Comedy category. If I don’t get the dwell times up on this post, Adam will beat me again.

This year added a Short category, for entries less than a minute in length. The winner is grand, but I like the compact escalation of Zach Scott’s Survival of the Fittest.

Is… is that enough? Have you had this page open for long enough yet?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Rig says:

The reason TF2 is most-used is because the Saxxy Awards are a TF2-focused event, with an in-game item as the prize. The name itself is derived from Saxton Hale, a TF2 character.

TF2 also has a wealth of props, maps, and personality-infused characters to work with. DOTA 2 has the best models and rigs, in my opinion, but there’s just not a lot of…stuff. I think it would be great if Valve renamed the event to something like the Source Filmmaker Awards and offered prizes for all their games. It’d be great to see what the DOTA community comes up with!

2. Soapeh says:

Lil Guardian Pyro was such a well produced short and it deserved to win. If there was a musical category, this great video would surely have won: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyNP_pK-eek

3. The Sombrero Kid says:

I could just about stomach the american spelling Labour as Labor, but a fellow Scot!

4. Monkeh says:

Absolutely delightful video to watch and I can see how this won! :)

5. P.Funk says:

I felt like the fist 36 seconds of Disruption was incredible and frankly it would have been my favourite if the video had been entirely about that Bladerunner-soaked in medias res moment of tragic finality. Instead they punted.

Oh well. Those were a great 36 seconds.

• Coming Second says:

I meanwhile would have gladly watched two and a half minutes of Heavy dancing with a bucket on his head. Different strokes.

• TheDR says:

I have to agree with you, but from the looks of it the creator set out to make something serious and then got bored and ran out of ideas. The 36 seconds really shows you how easy it is to create such a powerful film using a simple set up. It’s probably the music that really creates the tension.

• Jetamo says:

I feel like you’re severely missing the point. However, there is a video that he made that is probably along the lines of what you want.

6. SuicideKing says:

Absolutely brilliant stuff!

7. Stevostin says:

Just watched all the nominee and most is amazing stuff. Few are flawless but several demonstrate jaw dropping creativity and energy. Recommended watch, not just the 3 above. “Run” in the drama is especially strong but all is worth watching IMHO.

Comment on this story