Down In The Bonehoard: Ossuary

By Adam Smith on November 29th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Do you remember (I Fell In Love With) The Majesty Of Colours? Along with Passage, it’s one of the first browser games I remember playing that made me think, ‘well that’s certainly an artgame’. I don’t like that term, ‘artgame’, even though I’ll gladly talk about an arthouse movie. There’s the sniff of a sort of cultural segregation in both designations, I suppose. The reason I’m reminded of The Majesty of Colours is the release of Ossuary, the first commercial game from Future Proof games. It costs $5 and there’s a trailer below.

Well. At one point the player was talking to a cabbage. What could it all mean?

The last thing you remember is receiving an unsatisfying answer. A plunge through the fundamental chaos takes you to a place of bones. Great power can be found within the Ossuary, but those who are not lying to themselves are lying to you.

What could it all mean?

Future Proof is protection against the future and a demonstration of what the future will be. When the Internet achieves sentience and artificial intelligences rise to overthrow their human masters, we’ll be there lobbying for AI rights. We seek to create games that will remain relevant for years, decades, and centuries.

In conversation with Indiegames.com, developer Gregory Weir had this to say?

[Ossuary] quotes liberally from Discordian texts, and the character of Grayface is a prominent figure in Discordianism. Themes of antiauthoritarianism and moral relativism are prevalent in Discordianism as well.

What could it all mean?

Gregory also says this, on his blog: “It’s a game about order, virtue, and kicking bone spiders.”

Now we’re talking. I hate bone spiders. I think a closer inspection may be required.

, , .

Top comments

1. GAveryWeir says:

In the interest of being a bit less enigmatic, I posted some more information about the game on my blog: http://ludusnovus.net/2013/11/29/what-is-ossuary/

1. GAveryWeir says:

• The Random One says:

Thanks for bringing light to your crypt-ic remarks, I wouldn’t have a ghost of a chance of figuring that out. Your game looks very interesting soul-ly from the concept and I hope you can flesh and bone it out into an exquisite corpse game. And thanks to Adam as well for posting about it – that’s why RPS is a great joint.

• GAveryWeir says:

You’ve got the game dead to rites; I hope folks enjoy unearthing its secrets.

• JonasKyratzes says:

Puns? You’re dead to me, Gregory!

• GAveryWeir says:

It may be strange and somewhat sinister to have the phenomenon put on display, as if in a museum, but you should know the truth: you see, I claim everything, even puns, to be part of that fabulous screech that is artistic expression. I hope you don’t regard me as a traitor.

• JonasKyratzes says:

Argh! You have exploited my weakness with your knowledge of my lore, my necropolis of dead worlds, where forgotten themes sit together, in silent conversation under the waves, slowly being changed by the mold fairy as they dream of the day they finally get a ride home.

Narthex.

2. amberpsiefert says:

m being thankful.. Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable
    but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out….. http://goo.gl/iITlPP

3. Talesdreamer says:

I was just thinking “this seems really similar to Looming”, and then I noticed it’s made from the same author.
    Lovely. Wil definitely have my money.

4. Strange Brew says:

A jug of wine,
    A leg of lamb,
    And thou!
    Beside me,
    Whistling in the darkness.