Motocross My Heart: MXGP

By Adam Smith on November 29th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

I spent a frankly ludicrous amount of time playing Motocross Madness 2. Along with 1nsane (was there ever a sequel called In2ane?), it was one of two semi-open world driving games that I found much more enjoyable than track-based offerings. The joy of driving up the biggest hill in sight, spinning through the air with all the grace of an airborne emu and crumpling into the mud, a broken ragdoll of a man. Sometimes I’d just aim for the horizon and ride, or chase other motorbikes, pretending that I was a predator and they were my prey. That’s about as much as I know about Motocross so I’m somewhat disappointed that the new physics trailer for officially licensed game MXGP doesn’t contain any crashes or hunting at all.

Due in March, the game uses the official license and recreates tracks 1:1 scale. The video shows the Maggiora track, which I presume is named after an opera. The full game will include 60 bikes, 60 riders and 12 tracks, and the website says ‘REALISM’ quite a lot. A full career mode is promised, with contract signings and the like, and that’s the sort of mode that usually convinces me to invest time in a sports game, if done well.

« »

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

That video is horribly jerky.

Edit: Or it was on the first playing.

I’ll shut up now.

• Ross Angus says:

YouTube’s encoding really hates that mud.

• Ich Will says:

Making a guess from experience, what happened was they captured in Sony’s implementation of AVCHD, converted it to a compressed pro res format for easier editing then realised that they couldn’t use that to upload to youtube, so converted it again into another AVCHD or MP4. It certainly demonstrates that some people don’t bother to check the video after upload though.

Borodin says:

Yeah. Yeah that’ll be it. Amazing what you can infer from a load of mud. If only I can have “experience” like yours one day.

• Gap Gen says:

There is something a little stilted about the camera/animation.

2. SomeDuder says:

Guy rides bike – the videogame.

Looks… bland? Trials definately has more juice. Then again, different subgenres I suppose.

3. Henke says:

Looks like quite pleasant bike- and mud-physics judging from the video. I too wish there were more open world dirtbike games (like MM2) though. MX vs ATV Reflex does have some (not that large) areas, as well as pretty good physics, and of course there are some quite large usermade maps for GTA 4 that you can race around in with the Sanchez, but that’s about it for open world dirtbiking on the PC, afaik. :|

4. Henke says:

Also, yes, there exists an 1nsane sequel. It’s on Steam and it looks pretty good. I keep hoping it’ll go on sale but it never does.

• bad guy says:

Don’t bother. Sadly In2ane got the xtreme nitro arcade treatment. 1nsane is where it’s at.

The Random One says:

Of course it’s actually called In2ane.

Suggestions for the next ones:
        Insan3
        Ins4ne
        In5ane
        Insane 6: 6one Mad
        Insani7y
        8arely sane
        Insane 9: Still Goin9 Mad
        1nsane (reboot)
        G0ing Insane (reboot prequel)

• Ross Angus says:

Hey! In2ane is in this bundle for £2.23!:

link to bundlestars.com

• Ross Angus says:

(sorry: never noticed the duplicate comment. mzlapq said it first)

• MrJohann says:

Apparently In2ane isn’t much like 1nsane though and is more of a straight forward arcade game. I don’t think the reviews slathered it in praise either but then Mediocre doesn’t necessarily mean “not worth playing”.

Edit: Gazumpped!

• mzlapq says:

It’s on sale right now:
      link to bundlestars.com

5. Gap Gen says:

Is Monster Energy renewable, or will we eventually reach Peak Monster?

6. draigdrwg says:

The best part of Motocross madness (demo) was finding the boundaries of the level and managing to drive up them. You would then be fired across the map. It was fantastic.

link to youtube.com

I’m just going to go wallow in nostalgia if it’s alright.

7. corec says:

I don’t know, that looks quite a lot like Milestone’s WRC3 as in a bit dull.
    Oh how I miss you “Edgar Torronteras’ Extreme biker”.. I even have the original cd but the thing wont run on modern machines anymore.

8. cokker says:

Looked nice, then I realized the riders bum never left the seat, that’s not in the slightest bit realistic…

9. hideinlight says:

Insane 2 does in fact exist:
    link to metacritic.com

As you can see it has 3 mainstream reviews and 2 user ones.
    I know I was also shocked when I found out…

It had basically zero media coverage, like many other games so it fell off the radar, hard, really hard.

10. neolith says:

After having played MX vs ATV Reflex last week every other motocross game now looks incredibly boring to me in terms of controls. That game ruined me, I don’t think I’ll every want to play another bike game where you cannot control the bike and the rider seperately.

• Th3m4ni4c says:

I would suggest MX Simulator You need a controller and the learning curve is pretty steep but as someone who rides motocross competitively in real life I find this to be the most realistic. Just remember to turn off arcade mode

11. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Is the rider’s bottom tied/taped/glued to his bike or something? It looks so static, no interaction between man and bike at all.

Riding a bike is all about controlling your centre of mass, it goes a bit further then “stick foot out to turn”.