Such WoW, So Movie: World Of Wacraft Film Delayed

By Graham Smith on November 29th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

It's about these guys, both played by Colin Farrell.

The Warcraft movie has been rattling around Hollywood for years. First we were afraid, we were petrified, but rumours that Uwe Boll was going to make the movie turned out not to be true. Then Evil Dead/Spider-Man director Sam Raimi was attached to direct, but had to drop out due to other commitments, and we kept thinking we could never live without him by our side. Then Duncan Jones, the director of Moon and Source Code and a PC gamer, took over the project, and we knew we would not crumble.

It’s taken all the strength we’ve had not to fall apart, though now the movie has been delayed further into March 2016, to make way for Star Wars’ December 2015 release.

That makes sense. JJ Abrahms’ Star Wars is likely to be huge regardless of whether it’s good or bad, and a movie like Warcraft, even with the recognisable name, is going to struggle alongside.

Much like its director, the film has gone through its fair share of writers in its time. Charles Leavitt currently fills the role, having previously written the script for the likes of Blood Diamond and K-PAX. Leavitt’s seems like the hardest task, because he’s got to pull the disparate threads of Warcraft lore together in a way that makes sense in a two-hour movie.

Not much is known about the plot so far, except that it’s about the war between Orcs and Humans and that it shows both sides of the story. When Jones last spoke about the movie at Blizzcon earlier in November, he cited Avatar, Game of Thrones, Batman and Gladiator as points of reference as far as the film’s tone. Does his use of the word “gritty” mean the film won’t have gnomes flying helicopters? A real shame.

But we will survive.

• Totally heterosexual says:

Woof

• JFS says:

oppan doge style

wow

• DatonKallandor says:

You know there was a Warhammer 40k Movie right? It was 100% CGI, had a fantastic writer (who for the first time in his live wrote crap), great actors (who for the first time in their lives performed terribly) and a great studio to do the CGI (who produced shit).

I get that it’s better to pretend it doesn’t exist – but it does.

• Bull0 says:

It’s awful. It might as well not exist. Like the Star Wars holiday special.

• 00000 says:

What happened? Did EA interfere?

• Awesumo says:

It suffered in the same way every Warhammer story suffers… too much angry killing, and *nothing else of note*.

• CptPlanet says:

This is not how it works man. Respectable effort though.

2. MuscleHorse says:

I wonder how much it took for Duncan Jones to sell his soul for this trash?

3. Hodge says:

Wait, Duncan Jones is directing? Man, I should pay more attention to this.

4. frightlever says:

Blizzard should have just made this themselves. They already produce a mini-movie of cut-scenes with each game release. Leaving the creative decisions is going to be another “I, Robot”, “I Am Legend” or “Django Unchained” – movies that only share a name with the original franchise.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I liked I, Robot and I am Legend (but the earlier 1971 version, The Omega Man, was better) and think Django Unchained looks like a very good movie. I agree, though, that they don’t resemble their inspirations/sources as much as some would have liked. I think the Warcraft movie will be good or so good it’s bad, but not worth the price of a movie ticket.

• frightlever says:

I agree about the Will Smith movies, though I think “Django Unchained” was pretty disappointing, with some brilliant individual scenes and performances but it owed nothing to the 1966 original, so why bother? The movie-going audience is a far bigger pool than Matheson/Asimov/Franco Nero/Sergio Corbucci fans, so it’s not like you’re buying much public recognition along with the name.

Honest to God, just go check Youtube for the start of the original Django…

But maybe a WoW film will get some lore love and it’ll be true to the original source material the way… the way… uh, help me out here… oh, Scott Pilgrim, say, or the Hunger Games for the most part. Harry Potter? Twilight? No idea. Hmm. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe they’ll honour the source material.

• Soleyu says:

Well considering that there were many, many movies who shared the name django but had a tenuous relationship at best with the original, including Sukuyaki Western Django, a Japanese movie where everyone speaks broke english, and Tarantino has a cameo speaking English and Japanese, that movie is completely fucking bonkers, but in an awesome way… maybe…I think? It’s just that kind of movie.

With that said, I would say that Django Unchained is not that removed from the Django tradition.

If you are curious, here is the trailer for Sukiyaki Western Django

ANd here is the part where Tarantino appears (This is actually the first five minutes of the film, so you are not spoiling anything)

• hypercrisis says:

none of the titles you named were franchises though

5. Maxheadroom says:

Cant help but feel they’ve missed the boat on this now. Should really have come out back when they were riding the crest of 12million+ subscribers.

Realesing it now (or 2 years from now) would be kinda like making an A.L.F. film

• LionsPhil says:

ALF is probably old enough to be due a dreadful reboot comeback or something.

WoW is just stale.

• frightlever says:

ALF was basically a vehicle to explore issues of race without offending the sponsors, so it might actually work today since the world is getting mighty polarised. So long as he still loves eating pussy.

• The Random One says:

You just know they’d have the Family Guy guy write the script!

• Bull0 says:

I guess crucially it’s not a WoW movie at all, but a Warcraft movie. At least that’s what they’ve been saying. It’s not specifically a tie-in with the MMO. I think they’re aiming higher than that.

• ahac says:

Former subscribers are just as likely to see the movie than current subscribers. The total number of everyone who ever played WoW is much, much higher than 12 million.

But the Warcraft movie isn’t aiming only at them, just as LotR wasn’t aiming only for people who read the books and Batman wasn’t made just for “comic book nerds”.

• Themadcow says:

I doubt it. Just because you used to play it back in the day doesn’t mean you’ll have the same enthusiasm towards the brand now. I’m pretty sure all the people who loved Doom back in the 90′s didn’t rush to see the 2005 film.

Games turned into films are soooo rarely any good anyway. When the ‘best of the best’ is either Resident Evil or Silent Hill you know it’s an uphill battle. Beyond that you’re into Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia and Mortal Kombat territory.

• Bull0 says:

Doom 3 came out in 2004, not long before the movie. So, quite well-timed. Didn’t make much difference.

Really this whole “The success of this film that’s vaguely related to an MMO is proportional to the current subscriber level of that MMO” thing is pretty flaky. Where’s your evidence? Besides, Warcraft’s been a popular gaming brand for a couple of decades and is still extremely popular. You’re saying if they release Warcraft 4 people won’t care because WoW’s had its’ day? Should’ve released it in 2008?

• Maxheadroom says:

It’s proportional to the current public interest level (which is proportional to the current subscriber level). Thats why McDonnalds do Happy Meals featuring whatever tosh Pixar happen to have in the cinema at that moment, rather than something that was in the cinema years ago.

5 years back I may have gone to see this with all my guild mates if only to laugh at how bad it was. Now I couldn’t care less for the franchise as a whole. But thats just me

• Bull0 says:

Interestingly, WoW subscribers past and present are still in the minority in terms of overall society and the moviegoing public.

• ahac says:

I mentioned Batman before: it’s a comic book movie, right? The Dark knight trilogy was a huge success because it was good and everyone wanted to see it…not just people who read comic books. Doom was a bad movie and even gamers didn’t go see it.
          And unlike Doom which only gamers know, Warcraft is a name that many nongamers have heard about. It doesn’t matter if they play, have player or never played… they just need to be interested enough to check if the movie is any good and if it is then they’ll go see it.

• DestroyYourEgo says:

“Warcraft is a name that many nongamers have heard about. It doesn’t matter if they play, have player or never played… they just need to be interested enough”

If “nongamers” heard of Warcraft, but never had any interest in actually trying the game out, the chances of them going to spring money on he movie is even smaller than them logging on to make a “free to 50″ account. I honestly think the only people that will see this movie is people that are interested in WoW, for one reason or another. I also think that if you’ve lost interest in playing WoW, you probably don’t have much interest in the movie (I’d say 5% of the people that have stopped playing might actually be interest in the movie).

Also- Batman: Dark Knight was successful among “comic book nerds”, children, and women that liked Christian Bale and Heath Ledger- before the publicity stint- or, I shudder, Morgan Freeman’s “wormhole” (see what I did there?)

• Bull0 says:

Way more people go and see films than play games. The barrier to entry for installing a game to play on your PC versus walking into a cinema to watch a film with orcs and swords is incomparable. People will see the trailer and say “ooh, that’s one of those films I watch all the time, and ooh, “Warcraft”, I’ve heard of that.”

Do you think only die hard Max Payne fans went to see the horrific Mark Wahlberg abortion? Because it made a TON of money.

• iainl says:

I get why they picked the original date. Not only did Jones need that long to put a good film together anyway, but it will be the first December since 2011 when there wasn’t a Hobbit movie – grabbing all those Middle Earth fans in search of something new to see would be a great plan, if Abrams hadn’t decided that he needed to own the month. Greedy git’s got Mission: Impossible Five landing a few weeks after, too.

In fact, December 2015 looks like this: Alvin & The Chipmunks 4, Da Vinci Code 3, Star Wars 7, Kung Fu Panda 3, Mission Impossible 5. Plus James Bond 24 and Hunger Games 4 probably still kicking around from November. While Warcraft may be a big fat licence, I can see why you’d want to leg it away from megabudget sequel overload.

• DestroyYourEgo says:

“but it will be the first December since 2011 when there wasn’t a Hobbit movie – grabbing all those Middle Earth fans in search of something new to see”

This is what makes me think it will be just another movie based on a video game. I think the WoW movie will be very “betwixt and between and bore, bore, bore”. And I think they know this- that’s why they’re pushing it back to a time when they won’t have to go against movies that are based on books or more “popular/conventional” titles. Star Wars and Hobbit have A LOT of people from many different areas that love it. WoW does, too, but it’s more or less just a gamer thing, whereas Star Wars is your grand-dads favorite and your great-great-grandad has a signed copy of the Hobbit from Tolkien himself. The only people who care about Warcraft lore are Warcraft players- a small niche of gamers, really, considering everything else out.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

Really smart of Blizzard to do change the date, but really stupid to set the initial release on the same day as a certain other movie with a strong, nerdy fanbase. December 18 2015 is Star Wars day and it’d take a Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter movie to challenge its supremacy. All others would be Force choked. Sure, the prequels hurt the Star Wars brand, to an extent, but I think at least the first movie will draw a lot of people. It’s more than two years away, but I like what little I’ve heard about the seventh movie. Game-to-movie adaptations? Enjoyable at best, mostly in the so-bad-it’s-good way.

• iainl says:

Warcraft selected the date long before Star Wars did – that only moved to December fairly recently, because Disney committed to 2015 with their shareholders before they had a script, and there’s no way they’re going to make the original, traditional, May idea now. Quite apart from the fact that a May release would put them right up against Avengers 2, and that could be a bit embarrassing if it went wrong.

• DestroyYourEgo says:

So, basically, don’t go to the movies on Dec 18, 2015 unless I want to see grown men dressed as Ewoks and Orcs battling over whose movie is better? With Disney running Star Wars now, I really wouldn’t be surprised to see WoW stomp it out- but that’s just me daydreaming here.

One thing I know- no matter how crap both movies are, they are going to make a BUTTLOAD of money just because of the name in their title.

“Disney committed to 2015 with their shareholders before they had a script”. This REALLY should worry people. The fact the shareholders had their shit nailed down before the writers did… that’s no me gusta. Freaking Mickey Mouse is a ball-breaker when it comes to making deals.

7. Loyal_Viggo says:

Bury it deep, deep underground. Never let it see light… the horror… the horror…

• DestroyYourEgo says:

I can’t help but feel if they’re gonna be successful with this movie, they need to sell it on their MMO. Actually, that’d be cool if they played around with technology and had YOUR avatar the main character… but that’d be too much.

Also, I’m sensing “Resident Evil: Degeneration” all over this Warcraft movie stuff.

8. Pandaman says:

What’s up with all the Gloria Gaynor references anyways?

Edit: Welp, I saw the tag afterwards. Not that it gives it more sense though.

9. Turkey says:

Oh well. At least the Lego movie’s coming out next year. I guess that will tide me over.

10. Rii says:

Why would you bother reporting on this and not on the departure of Greg ‘Ghostcrawler’ Street from Blizzard? Bizarre priorities…

P.S. It’s the ‘Warcraft’ movie, not the ‘World of Warcraft’ movie.

• Bull0 says:

Also not the “World of Wacraft” movie. ;)

• DestroyYourEgo says:

Meh, big diff between “Warcraft” and “World of Warcraft”. That’s like saying there’s a huge difference between “Fallout 3″ and “Fallout: New Vegas”. Same universe- ultimately same lore. I’m sure they will find a way to make many a reference in the film about “future” events in WoW. Again, only appealing to Warcraft/WoW players.

• Bull0 says:

No, no, no.

• Zelos says:

This is an interesting example, because FO3 contradicts all other sources of FO lore. Tactics isn’t even canon but it was more fitting than FO3.

11. Spoon Of Doom says:

Oh no, the doge! It’s everywhere! It’s stalking me!

I don’t even know what that word is or how it is pronounced. Doggy? Dodge? Dow-gee?
    many pronounciation
    such confusion
    very non-native english speaker
    wow

12. Werthead says:

The smart thing is that it’s NOT a ‘WORLD OF WARCAFT movie’. It’s actually based on the plot of WARCRAFT I (well, the retconned plot from later games, not at the actual plot from the time which was pretty thin) and is based solely on humans vs. orcs. No pandas, demon legions or even night elves (as far as has been revealed). They’re clearly aiming for a multi-film franchise. Whether they get there or not is another question.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Hmm. Strange, since the first picture I’ve seen from movie-based material was a picture of Teldrassil (http://wowpedia.org/File:Teldrassilmovie.jpg). Also, how long has it been since they even began working on it anyway? -edit- Apparently they announced their plans in 2006. I guess only Blizzard knows how much progress (if any) has been made).

• Werthead says:

That concept art was from the Sam Raimi version which was, indeed, directly based on WoW’s storylines (well, some of them). The current storyline features orc forces led by Durotan and Alliance forces led by Anduin Lothar clashing in battle, with the story intercutting between both factions and apparently based on elements of WC1 and 2′s storylines (though I suspect the bulk of WC2 would be the basis for a sequel movie). There may be cameos by other races, but it seems at the moment that the focus is purely on the ‘Orcs vs. Humans’ angle of the first two games.

13. roguewombat says:

Anyone else silly enough to see Dungeon Siege in the theater?

• Moraven says:

Hell I have not even touched that yet on Netflix. And I only would because of Jason Statham. But it is an Uwe Boll movie.

• DestroyYourEgo says:

No, but… I did see BloodRayne in theaters. First night of release. And then, I stupidly went and saw it again the next night. What? I love Meatloaf.

14. lordfrikk says:

I hope the movie turns out good but all these delays leave me doubtful.

15. HisDivineOrder says:

They should have subtitled it:

World of Warcraft: Working as Intended: QQ MOAR: Revenge of Roguecraft

They could start with a narrator speaking in a weary, gravelly voice.

“In a world far and distant, there is a kingdom overrun by magic users. Magic has become synonymous with quality of life. Do you want to live high on the hog? Mages, Paladins, Priests, Death Knights, warlocks, and shaman all thrive, fat on the ley of the land, pillaging the innocents of their often hard-earned goods. Always, these magic users wants more.

“Unbeknownst to these pig-like magic users, however, there is rising a new group of insurgents who now challenge the social order. They are led by a puckish rogue human named B4CK$T4883R. Once, long ago in the times of plenty, B4CK as he comes to be more commonly known, would war with his nemesis, the persistent and pesky blood elf huntress called, LeggoLass, but as times became dire, the two put aside their petty grievances over a common desire for the same rings and recognize the true threat to their awesome: magic users.

“Banding together with a likeminded group of warriors, rogues, and hunters, B4CK and LeggoLass have struck back against the magic users, destroying their most important of all resources, the Auction House. Now the Magic Users are gearing up to bring the war to the heathens and wipe out all who might challenge the supremecy of magic users over the plebes without such contrivances.

“So begins the War…

“Also, there is a Horde and an Alliance, but they don’t matter really…”

• Koozer says:

LFM AV premade. Need healers!

• DestroyYourEgo says:

Lol- freaking hilarious. I love how only one person has commented on you spiel. The Ttitle- QQ MOAR- excellent. God, Blizzard should pay YOU to write their movie. At least when you laugh in theaters, it would be the point, instead of laughing when it’s supposed to be a serious “Warcraft” film.

16. Moraven says:

This is one panel I wish I had got to at BlizzCon. Now to check if the Virtual Ticket vods are still live.

17. OLouv56 says:

Im being thankful.. Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://Buzz95.com

18. amberpsiefert says:

but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out….. http://goo.gl/iITlPP

19. socrate says:

The problem with such movie is that i often lose interest more into the game they are obviously link and are always boring and bad movie to tell the truth,in the long term it doesnt mean i wont buy certain game but i will remember these bad movie and actually hesitate or not buy them at all in some instance

edit:its how i think some franchise got really hit hard which were already going downhill to begin with,which add to the destruction of the franchise and hurts it even more.

and it also doesn’t just affect game movie but also comic or franchise movie like star wars which i think got totally destroyed by all the little children advertising thing in the new movie which i felt i was watching a bad disney movie…quite ironic at this point..then idiana john got hit with the same bad story and dumb actor choice and other such nonsense…i just can’t watch the old one even at this point…its really sad to take something so beautiful and then try to get more $$$ out of it only to destroy any good memory i had of it.