The RPS Bargain Bucket: Post-Turkey Saturday

By Cassandra Khaw on November 30th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

The Moderately Great S’peedy, cousin to much greater Great A’tuin, may lack the toned physique necessary for carrying worlds but he does come bearing Bargain Bucket discounts. It’s the day after Black Friday and — look, level with me here. Why are you still eyeballing discounts? Black Friday just happened. The world just went into a veritable orgy of slashed prices. Why are you still buying more things? Where are you getting all that money? And is there any way I can convince you to donate some of that cash to the “feed a hungry games journalist today” fund? Jokes aside, here’s this week’s conglomeration of rock-bottom deals. It’s a little sparse but the Moderately Great S’peedy and I hope you find what you were looking for.

Gunpoint
$3.39/£2.07/€ 2.50

Oh, Buddha. Yes. Gunpoint is a thing you must play.  The 2D, sidescrolling stealth game that is funnier than the average cartoon bear is currently available for a low, low price of $3.39. Though shorter than I would have liked it to be, it’s a sweet little masterpiece filled with eloquent minimalism, punching and electronic sabotage. Bonus reason: it’s strangely hilarious to pitch the protagonist off buildings. He doesn’t seem to mind at all.

Borderlands 2 & Borderlands Game of the Year Edition
$11.99/£7.32/€ 8.83

We journalistic types seldom seem to have anything pleasant to say about first-person shooters but that shouldn’t dissuade you from picking up both Borderlands games. Which you should already own because they’re such a celebration of goofy, cel-shaded violence. Though a sweet deal for anyone completely new to the franchise, this two-in-one from Amazon is sadly lacking in the latest DLCs, something you should keep in mind as you reach for your digital dollars.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
$5.99/£3.66/€ 4.41

This week’s just a mess of “games you probably already should be playing what is wrong with you, man?!”, isn’t it? Dark Souls is a game that requires little introduction. Brutal, bewildering and so very committed to the task of demonstrating that you’re but an insignificant speck unworthy of accessing the end game, Dark Souls is a special, razor-edged snowflake indeed. In spite of its savagery, though, Dark Souls doesn’t try to unnecessarily gimp you. It merely demands exceptional amounts of skill. But you know all that already, don’t you? Now, go spend that Frappucino money on it.

The $1 games on Shinyloot
$1.00/£0.61/€ 0.74 for a ridiculous number of games. Sheesh.

What is this I don’t even– the $1 special on Shinyloot is just madness, I tell you. Madness. To be fair, not all of the games on sale right now are what you’d call sleeper hits. Some just need to put to sleep. Permanently. Nonetheless, motes of brilliance exist under the dross. Cthulhu Saves the World, Trauma, Oknytt(!!), The Cat Lady and They Breathe are just some of the games you should consider adopting into your personal library. The Gobliins Trilogy too but that recommendation is fueled by childhood nostalgia.

Game Music Bundle 6
$1.00/£0.61/€ 0.74 for 5 albums, $10/£6.11/€ 7.36 for 24 albums

And here’s the obligatory bundle recommendation of the week. Game Music Bundle 6 looks absolutely fetching, ladies and gentlemen. For $1.00, you’ll be able to pick up the music of Dust: An Elysian Tail, Braid, Rogue Legacy, Electronic Super Joy and Famaze. Not enough ear candy? Cobble another nine American bucks together and you’ll have 24 albums for your listening pleasure. The pedigrees of these albums are absolutely exquisite. Guacamelee? Kentucky Route Zero? The Stanley Parable? In the immortal words of Mister Burns, “Excellent.”

Dishonored
$4.99/£3.05/€ 3.67

I’m a little bit embarrassed to admit to this but I suppose I’ll come out and say it. I’ve never played Dishonored. I’ve heard friends in the industry wax long and poetic about its blood-stained merits but I never got around to actually getting my hands on this. I’m correcting that today. And if you’re in the same sterile boat, you should too. Dishonored appears to be a stealth-based murder sandbox of epic proportions. Kill people however you choose. Drown them in rats. Knock them off ledges. Possess unsuspecting victims and walk them into the ocean for semi-voluntary drowning. The possibilities are endless. At least, that’s what all my worryingly giggly, Dishonored-loving colleagues tell me. Some people you just don’t argue with.

Also of note:

GamersGate Thanksgiving Sale - At least 50% off on a heck of a lot of titles
I like Bastion, Darksiders II, Torchlight II, the Basement Collection — I’m not even going to try listing it all out. Nope.

GOG Black Friday Sales – 70% on a ton of  great stuff
Personal favorites include Master of Magic, anything Creatures related and Simon the Sorcerer 2.

Winter Wolves Thanksgiving Sale – 30% to 50% on all major products
Visual novels are a bit hit or miss with me but if you’re a fan of the genre, you might want to check out this indie extravaganza.

, .

1. Mimir says:

Dishonored is very, very similar to Gunpoint, actually. Both are playable as murder/punching simulators, but the real fun comes from making the murder unnecessary by being a clever invisible sneaky person using all the tricks at your disposal. It’s the same not-genre all good stealth games tread along.

• BadBannana says:

But one has Tom Francis in it.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Let’s all just agree that both are awesome. o_o

• LionsPhil says:

Anyone know how he’s getting on with the remake-ish in a different version of Game Maker? I keep waiting for the level editor to be less, well, broken, but his blog’s gone quiet.

Gap Gen says:

Right, and when I downloaded Dishonored it was covered in andouilette.

• Viscera says:

While they are similarities between the games, they are also very different. I would compare Gunpoint to Yahtzee’s game (I wish he kept making games instead of pseudo-funny reviews. Although he seems to do one at the moment.) “Art of the Theft”. But Gunpoint is better.

• LionsPhil says:

His most recent one is amusing, if only for the conclusion.

• valz says:

Gunpoint has better mechanics and a better game engine. Art of Theft has better gameplay. I actually had to make an effort in it. Gunpoint is so easy that it’s boring, even when forcing myself to play stealthily (which was the only way I played it.)

Gap Gen says:

Pleased I managed to get the Goatee edition for £2.40 last night when they accidentally discounted it by 92%.

• Urthman says:

Gunpoint is a defenestration and gratuitous punching simulator with a few other amusing mechanics thrown in for variety.

• Kubrick Stare Nun says:

Actually all the fun comes from murdering everything like a maniac, the pacifist run is just there for completionists.

lurkalisk says:

I’ve found that, for such games, the fun comes from trying everything. In games like Dishonored, I’ll go through with an attempt at stealth, but if violence prevails in some hasty cost/benefit analysis, I’ll go that route. And if I’m spotted, I just make the best of a bad situation, no quick loading.
      Next I try a perfect stealth playthrough, self explanatory and loading before a fail state becomes a concern.
      Finally I start a third time not bearing a thought for anything but blood and mindlessness (yes, a thought for mindlessness).

To me, it’s not that one is better than the other, but that experiencing each enhances every moment, be it past, present or future.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

“Why are you still buying more things? Where are you getting all that money?”

Only things I wanted to buy were games and computer components. Unfortunately the components I wanted to buy were not discounted (GTX780ti for cheaps please) so I still have lots of money to buy lovely lovely games. I also have a packet of crisps I am willing to donate to the starving journalist fund :)

• The Random One says:

I sat down yesterday to buy LOTS OF THINGS that I would later REGRET SPENDING SO MUCH MONEY ON and ended up buying NOTHING. So I’ve still got a lot of regret money to waste.

3. TehK says:

There’s also the Dishonored Goatee Edition (which includes the 4 DLCs) over on amazon.com for 13,60 of those US dollars. I also have not played it yet – erm… and that’s why I grabbed that :)

4. Mehall says:

Much though I miss Lewie, anyone who gives me a little cousin of a’tuin and then also rock up with a joke about “funnier than the average cartoon bear” means Cassandra has won over my heart as writer of all things bucket.

5. Viscera says:

Bought a bunch of games on Steam and GOG already. I have to say, if it weren’t for the sale, I would have never gotten the Catacombs Pack. They are fun, but very flawed and the feeling, that they are just cheap copies of Wolfenstein 3D, never vanishes (well, they are cheap copies of Wolf 3D, but stil).

I also got King’s Bounty: Crossworlds on Gamersgate, because I heard that Armored Princess is already included. Turns out, this is only the case with the Steam version. So, now I can buy AP extra, making me lose more money than I would have, if I bought the GOTY version (which does include AP). I see it as my punishment for actually listening to what people on Steam say (not that they were completely wrong).

• Similar says:

huh. That is puzzling. My Crossworlds has the option to play the original AP, but then, that is the Steam version. Just seems odd they would have changed that in non-Steam versions, since the main thing about Crossworlds is that it expands AP.

Jackablade says:

Wasn’t Wolfenstien 3d built on a significantly upgraded version of the Catacombs engine, which was also developed by id? Am I confused?

• KDR_11k says:

AFAIK Apogee wanted to use the Wolfenstein engine for something else too so they used an early version of it to create Catacombs.

Jackablade says:

Alright, this requires some research…

…There we go
          “The game introduced the concept of showing the player’s hand in the three-dimensional viewport, and an enhanced version of its technology was later used for the more successful and well-known Wolfenstein 3D”

• lomaxgnome says:

All of the game content of Armored Princess is contained in Crossworlds, Crossworlds is essentially just an upgrade. There’s no point in playing both. But if you’re just looking for another game in the Steam list, it’s very frequently bundled and could probably be found on trading sites for vitually nothing.

6. sith1144 says:

Matrix has a sale going on as well

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Tim will be pleased

• cptgone says:

how incompetent can a publisher be? i had to search their forums, to find out which games are on sale, and what price reduction is offered (‘”as much as 35% off” the regular extortionate prices).
      here’s the list i found: http://www.slitherinebravo.net/pr/HolidaySale2013/MG_MG_SALES_HolidaySale2013_CatalogMG_01.pdf

how did these guys attain their quasi-monopoly?

• Kuuppa says:

By being virtually only (digital) distributor selling turn based wargames for more than a decade. Nowadays nobody else even tries to sell them (well there are few developers/publishers with their own stores but that’s it). That of course is bad for the genre, but apparently developers have fortified their positions and now strongly believe that no-one outside their current customer base would ever be willing to try their games. Therefore they are happy with current situation where Matrix Games’ business practises and de facto monopoly are slowly killing the whole genre by preventing new gamers from entering the existing customer base.

• belgand says:

Ah, but by creating an impregnable fortress of wargames they have merely created a deep desire within their customers to solve this problem with cunning and skill.

heretic says:

Bioshock infinite is quite cheap (~6 quid), worth picking up? It will probably be similar price further down the line so I’m not sure it’s worth it (just bought gunpoint and… surgeon simulator anyway :P)

More excited to get the last Metro 2033 on sale which I missed out on.

• Zekiel says:

If you enjoyed Bioshock – and if you enjoy non-military shooters in general – I would recommend it. I got it for £17-ish earlier this year and felt I’d got my money’s worth at that price. There’s lots of people who have enumerated flaws, but at the end of the day its a well-put-together story-driven action rollercoaster ride with some well-written characters and interesting themes. It gets my thumbs up.

• kupocake says:

Though I disliked it, I paid double what you’re thinking of paying and I still say I got a worthwhile deal. Imperfect games sometimes make the biggest impression in the long run.

8. kupocake says:

Isn’t Dark Souls only this cheap because they’re going to be switching it off? Or have they announced that they’ll be patching GFWL out for something else?

• Eddy9000 says:

Dark Souls always worked offline for single player. Worst comes to worst multiplayer elements will be disabled, which is a shame (no sun bro’s!) but not that important for the experience.

strangeloup says:

Sadly, due to GFWL’s ‘security’ being hilariously easy to circumvent, the PC version’s multiplayer is plagued by hackers; getting invaded is enough of a pain anyway without the invader being goddamn invincible. We can hope if it’s replaced by something else that it’ll correct this problem, though.

• stupid_mcgee says:

It’s highly likely that they will patch out GFWL. People have been asking the same thing about a lot of Capcom games, and it basically comes down to this: either they patch out GFWL or they will have to stop selling the game.

Why? Because, if GFWL isn’t patched out, Dark Souls and many other GFWL titles simply will not work. Why? Because the SSA servers are needed to verify your serial key and assign it to a profile. If the GFWL service is gone, then that won’t be able to happen. Hence, you won’t be able to ever verify your game, which means you’ll never get to play it.. If you can’t fully install and play the game, then they’re not going to be able to sell Dark Souls ever again.

Reportedly, even Fable III has been having some updates on its Steam registry, hinting that there might be a future update to remove GFWL. So, really, the choice for developers is that they either remove GFWL or they’ll be faced with having to pull the game from digital and stop delivering new physical copies to retail.

Honestly, it’s a very crappy position that MS has put a lot of these devs and pubs in.

• malkav11 says:

According to Microsoft, if you use an offline profile you should never be asked to connect to the servers that are going bye-bye. I have no idea how individually true that is, though, since they also helpfully equipped GFWL with DRM features that they assure consumers are entirely up to the companies making GFWL games as to whether they use them or not but then provide no specifics.

9. Bull0 says:

Seems as good a place as any to go off on a barely-related rant about how the Americans can keep their psychopathic shopping riot day, thanks, and if at all possible can we also return teach your children to pester their neighbours day too? Cheers.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

.. .are we talking about Christmas or Halloween here?

• Bull0 says:

As far as I know, the US of A didn’t invent Christmas. I was talking about Halloween.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

We invented Halloween? Cool, because here I was thinking it was an ancient holiday.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Its a christian festival. Its probably not in the bible, and I’m pretty sure Jesus didn’t make his disciples to go around forcing the inhabitants of Galilee to hand over sugary food products or suffer a smiting, but yeah. Christian. Who’da thunk.

@ Bull0 – Americawneranians are lovely. Stop being grumpy.

• Bull0 says:

“Ancient” is a relative term, when you’ve only got a couple of hundred years’ history to play with, last week is significantly antiquated. The “Trick or treat” thing at the heart of it appears to be an american invention, yeah. We didn’t have it here until about ten years ago. We do it now because it’s in your TV shows.

@Cookpass tell me where I said anything about americans not being lovely folk? I love americans! I just don’t want black friday or halloween, that’s all. There’s a guy below that implied all americans are stupid, why don’t you go after him instead?

• Koozer says:

@CookPassBabtridge:

Obligatory “but it comes from a pagan festival” remark here.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

@bull0 Good good splendid news. As long as everyone’s happy :)
            Except people from Basildon.

@Koozer ah yes so it does.

• stupid_mcgee says:

@ The Godzilla Hunter: Pay no mind to the xenophobic fuckwit behind the curtain…

@ Bull0: BTW, thanks for all of the blatant banking corruption and scandals. I guess Brits are just inherently corrupt people, yeah?

Anyways, it’s a good thing none of this madness happens in such a so-much-more civilized country, like England.

-edit- NVM, Bull0. Read your second post, and I find myself somewhat agreeing, especially about Black Friday and Thanksgiving, but halloween is not really a purely American invention.

Let me give some perspective:

Halloween’s traditions are firmly affixed to Celtic traditions. Pranks, mummering, and keeping evil spirits at bay goes back to the the end-of-summer festival known as Samhain.

The “All Saint’s Day” in which many (IMO, erroneously) believe modern Halloween to be derived from, in fact goes back to 9th century.

As for the commercialization of Thanksgiving and Black Friday, there is a significant pushback among a lot of people in America to scale these things down. There’s a term, holiday creep, that many are using to describe this.

One of the more recent encroachments is sales on actual Thanksgiving Day. We all understand that doctors, EMTs, firefighters, police officers, etc. are needed on these days. But the notion that Wal-Mart needs to have blowout sales on Thanksgiving Day is preposterous and horrendously cruel to their workers.

Than again, I fully admit that many of us Americans have some pretty fucked up views regarding holidays. A great example is Labor Day. A day that celebrates blue collar labor. Funny thing is, most businesses that employ the lowest tiers of blue-collar workers (service industry) are often open on Labor Day.

Anyways, I apologize for being gruff. It really ticks me off when people act like their shit doesn’t stink, which is what I thought you were doing. However, I certainly do agree that Americans need to take a long and hard look at themselves and their habits, and question whether those are in line with the traditionalist values they claim to be representing.

• Brigand says:

I think someone’s a little bitter they didn’t get a day of free sweets every year.

• fish99 says:

He/she is right though, it’s annoying to see American customs entering British culture. The only reason it happens is because we get so much US TV over here. And why do we get so much US TV? Because it’s good? No, because we get tons of crap US TV and not just the good stuff. it’s because it’s cheap. It’s cheaper for our commercial channels to just buy something in from the US than to make a show themselves. For your networks it’s just bonus money if they happen to sell some show to a British channel, so they sell them for next to nothing.

And so we have prom nights, halloween, black friday etc here now. It’s just a matter of time before we’re setting off fireworks on July 4th….

Gap Gen says:

I got a bag of sweets when no-one showed up to take them.

Also yes Death to America etc.

• Brigand says:

Yeah except he/she is not right though. Mainly due to the whole, it’s not really an American thing at all. Having enjoyed it all my Irish childhood in IRELAND, ’cause you know it’s great for children in about every way. I can’t see why anyone would hate on something that brings so much community spirit and fun. Especially since sharing these sort of customs has been going on since forever. Just seems a bit grumpy to me in a supremely pointless kind of way.

• fish99 says:

When I was growing up, we had penny for the guy, which has now been replaced with the whole halloween outfits and sweets thing, which is a direct import from the US. It’s not being grumpy to say that I think it’s a bad thing that a local tradition has been lost.

• Convolvulus says:

But you’ll keep football hooliganism? Honestly, I’ve been in America for a while and have yet to see a psychopathic shopping riot, though every few years the news will report that some discount-seeker died in a store somehow. (That’s the national news, by the way, which means such cases are incredibly rare.)

“Black Friday” is a fabricated event in which brick-and-mortar stores attempt to compete with e-commerce by offering comparable deals on a handful of items for a limited time. It’s a joke, and I don’t know a single person who bothers with it. All the decent in-store deals happen in the lull a few months after Christmas when shelves need to be cleared for the next wave of stuff people browse before ordering online.

• Bull0 says:

We’ll keep football hooliganism, post-colonial guilt, we’re sorry about the boer war, etc, etc. Not relevant, since they aren’t cross-pollinating in the way that this is. In the UK we’ve had a bunch of high-profile retailers trying to get in on the “Black Friday” thing, and I could do without it. Somebody got their wrist broken at a supermarket fighting for a cheap TV. Madness. You can play it down all you want but it’s a thing, and it didn’t exist in the UK before.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

To be fair though, in the UK we did also have another incident involving smashing things and acquiring TV’s not so long ago, and that was most certainly a local invention. Maybe we can export it?

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, we also prosecuted all involved, which was the right thing to do.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Hehe yeah. Because half of them published their ‘acquisitions’ on Twitter :) Master Thieves in action …

Gap Gen says:

Agreed, British people never fight for like zero reason, unless it’s 11pm on a weekend.

Martel says:

Trust me, there is a significantly large portion of the country that isn’t capable of shopping efficiently, and they still hit Black Friday very hard. The ones that get me (some in my family) are those that go out Black Friday shopping all day and buy nearly nothing. A terrible experience and no savings, what a deal!

I’m always amazed at the fact that people buy the crap stores peddle as their door busters. I assume it’s either because they’re incapable of resisting X% off (Steam gets me there), they don’t care about the quality of products they buy, or just aren’t bright enough to know the difference. Since it’s the US I’m going with the latter.

• malkav11 says:

Oh, it’s a huge shopping event, it’s just that there’s no reason to go outside for it because there are plenty of amazing deals online. Retail stores -may- have a few better deals, but they’re typically extremely limited quantity loss leaders that you have minimal chance of actually getting unless you’re a crazy person and camp out for the moment the store opens (granted, some of the online deals – Amazon! – are like this too but at least all you have to do is be in front of your computer with the website open at the right time). They’re just a faint hope to get you in the door.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Actually Black Friday is this:

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving (a feast where we’re supposed to be thankful for the things that we have) where there are huge discounts by retailers. This is done to help fuel sales figures for holiday shopping.

It existed well before e-commerce sites and it is called “black” Friday because, as the old story goes, this is the time when retailers go from the red, to the the black. Meaning that they go from being under in sales and revenue, to being in the surplus. Traditionally speaking, the winter months tend to be very bad for retail, as the cold usually keeps most people from wanting to go out as much. So Black Friday and the holiday shopping season are a big way to make for them to ensure adequate revenue.

• Volcanu says:

Actually, the ‘going from the red to the black’ thing was just made up by retailers who wnated to remove the negative connotations of the term “Black Friday” with something more positive.

The origin of the term seems somewhat disputed- I believed it referred to stock market crashes that tended to occur post thanksgiving in the C19th, but after doing a quick wikipedia check it appears there are mutliple possible origins…

10. Pich says:

When i was Jack Keane near Oknytt i just started screaming.

11. DanMan says:

You know, all these alternative games that don’t focus on killing people have made me appreciate those that do much less. I have zero interest in Dishonored and I’m arguing back and forth with myself about getting Bioshock: Infinite.

Am i getting old? They’re just 8 bucks, damnit!

• LionsPhil says:

It may or may not modify your opinion of Dishonored to know that it supports nonlethal playthroughs.

• DanMan says:

I’ve just read a few reviews, and so I’ve only now realized that, yes. All the trailers I’ve seen show nothing but bloody murder. Makes you wonder. So yes, this is now back on my radar. Damn, all these options!

lowprices says:

In fact, I’d say Dishonoured (that’s right) is a much better game when trying for a stealthy, nonlethal run. You have to plan your approach much more carefully and be more methodical when acting.

• LionsPhil says:

And yet one of its strengths is that if that all goes wrong, you can improvise lethally if needed, rather than reach for quickload.

Unless you’re going for cheevos, of course.

• DanMan says:

That’s another pet-peeve of mine though. If you go for the stealthy route in games where you have the choice, it’s usually the more difficult, if not tedious way. I don’t like that either.

• Zenicetus says:

Right, this is the type of game I enjoy, where you can switch to combat when you screw up stealth, because I’m not that great at doing pure ghost runs. I managed to get the “good” ending in Dishonored by keeping deaths low, but there were some bodies left along the way.

The blink (teleport) ability makes the game awfully easy if you abuse it, but I still enjoyed it. I’m working through the two DLC’s now, which is even better than the main game.

Bioshock Infinite, on the other hand… you’d better enjoy shooting people in the face as the only way to interact with the world, and advance the story. And the story isn’t as smart as it thinks it is. At this price, it’s worth it for the environment design and pretty colors, if you can handle the constant combat. Especially if you’re tired of the drab grey-brown environments of most shooters.

• Jason Moyer says:

Playing lethally, while probably easier, also makes the game slightly harder since there are more rat swarms and weepers in the levels. Also, the non-lethal storyline is significantly different and much better, imho. And the final level is significantly different depending on your playstyle.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Of course, if you use sleep darts, you may as well be playing lethally, but you conveniently get none of the negative effects of murdering. I always thought really the stunned guys should at least wake up after a bit. TBH they just lay there and may as well be dead.

• LionsPhil says:

That is why I insist on cuddling all my opponents to sleep.

Corvo lurks in the shadows, armed with the otherwordly power of hugs.

Malibu Stacey says:

In what world does that even make sense? You’re “arguing back & forth” about buying a game which is basically “shoot people and try not to be too racist about it” yet “have zero interest” in a game which can be completed without intentionally killing a single NPC?

12. trjp says:

Humble still have a sale on in their new store with some notable deals which are WAY better than Steam’s.

Fallen Enchantress: LH for $4.99 against £14.99 on Steam (it was £7.99 in a Flash Sale but that still almost twice Humble’s price)

Anomaly 2 for $4.99 is much better than the £5.99 Steam are asking AND with Humble you get the Android version (APK through the Humble App) as well as the PC/Linux/Mac ones!!

Other deals here

p.s. note currencies – I’m in the UK so I quote £ for Steam but everyone pays $ at Humble.

Martel says:

Must be conversion deals then as in the US the Humble Store’s prices are almost all the same or more than through Steam.

• trjp says:

Unless Steam is really ripping-people-off and we can check this here…

FE:LH is $19.99 in the US – would have been $9.99 in the Flash and it’s $4.99 on Humble!!!

Anomaly 2 is closer – $7.49 in the US but just $4.99 on Humble (which comes with the Android version too) – if Steam did a Flash on it, it could-well be cheaper tho

Martel says:

Fallen Enchantress is $4.99 in Steam today, I didn’t realize that FE: Legendary Heroes was a different game, so my fault.

I do have to say that having your prices stay the same through the whole sale, rather than dealing with 8 hour flash deals and whatnot, is certainly more appealing. The flash sales have been cheaper than other stores depending on the game, but all that means is there are tons of places for good prices.

FriendlyFire says:

Legendary Heroes in $9.99 on the Humble Store. Still half the price of the Steam price (though who knows if LH will get a flash/daily), but nowhere near the steal you make it up to be.

• trjp says:

When I typed my first post here the Humble Store was open on the other screen and it was DEFINATELY marked at $4.99 – I own it so I didn’t click to buy so perhaps it wasn’t what I’d have been charged if I’d tried to buy it?

FE being on Steam earlier – Flash Sales are sometimes ‘franchise wide’ and the image sometimes rotates between different games in the franchise? No way to tell as that flash has ended now tho…

Stardock’s own 50% off sale only makes is $19.99 tho – even at $9.99 it’s quite cheap (tho it’s cheaper again on the hatconomy which is where my copy came from)

• dE says:

trjp is right. It definitely WAS around 5$ at one point in the humble store. Curiously enough it also was on sale for 3,75€ on gamersgate – but they too raised the price about an hour after it first appeared. Perhaps they had some sort of Miscommunication going on. Odd thing to happen in two stores at the same time.

Cardinal says:

Dominions 3 is £3.75 on Gamersgate, reportedly registers to Steam (but don’t quote me).

lowprices says:

An adorable Discworld reference? Welcome aboard, Ms Khaw (he said, despite being aware you’ve been here for a while now)!

15. freddydeady says:

I’ve always been curious about Twin Sector and at that price, worth a punt. Anyone played it?

Bugamn says:

I haven’t played, but you may want to hear wot RPS thinks.

• MartinWisse says:

Got it in a previous sale, but it turned out to be firmly a meh sort of game. Fun concept badly handled which got boring quickly.

16. DonJefe says:

I was just about to buy Dishonored on Steam in their Autumn Sale when I read this post. Saved almost €4 by buying it on Amazon. Thanks to the Bargain Bucket!

• Apocalypse says:

You made me here a sad man for about 10 seconds, than I noticed that its not the goty at amazon.

• malkav11 says:

The GOTY is also on sale on Amazon but it’s the same price as on Steam.

• Jalan says:

GOTY was cheaper (including discount code) a few days past on Gamefly (not a great deal cheaper but cheaper all the same).

17. SkittleDiddler says:

I have a $200 Steam Wallet card coming to me in the mail, but it’s not going to get here until long after the sale is over. Damn it. Now I’m gonna have to wait until the Christmas sale, and by some accounts they aren’t going to be repeating the best deals from the Thanksgiving sale.

• Jalan says:

Strange, the leaked email that gave the dates of the autumn and winter sales specifically mentioned that they intended to maintain the same discounts across both sales.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Not only that, but my personal experience with last year’s sale was that prices during the Autumn sale were the same as during the Winter sale.

18. KDR_11k says:

indieroyale has a good pack currently, lots of new indies.

Aerothorn says:

Dark Scavengers is a game everyone should buy for $1 at the Shiny Loot sale.

wonderingmonster says:

I second the Dark Scavengers recommendation, it’s awesome and hilarious.

20. Gabe McGrath says:

If you’d like to have a big cheesy multicultural smile on your face, grab ‘Bollywood Wannabe’ for $1.

I’ve been playing the 2 level demo for ages with my kids and they love it.
    Getting the full version for a buck is a no-brainer.

It’s like a cross between Dance Dance Revolution and a scrolling brawler (without the fighting).
    Fantastic super-cheerful Bollywood music, cute characters, smart level design…
    and the thing that makes it better than DDR is that you decide which dance moves to make
    - it’s just the timing you have to follow.

eg I have a habit of ending my levels with an epic moonwalk.

Oh, and if you play really well you end up with a giant flashmob all dancing with you.

It’s the kind of indie game that really deserves some nice gaming ‘name’ (with far more Twitter followers than me) to give it a good rave and some exposure.

21. fish99 says:

Hoping to see Metro LL, Shadow Warrior or Remember Me dip below £10 before the sale is out. They haven’t been in dailies yet.

• malkav11 says:

Shadow Warrior has, actually, for about 10 minutes. And then it was mysteriously replaced by the execrable Infestation Stories (the renamed The War Z).

22. jaronimoe says:

I’m considering getting one or all of the Tex Murphy games in the gog sale – any advice?

- nevermind, I bought all of them now ;)

23. mda says:

I comment because Terry Pratchett <3

I buy Dark Souls and Gunpoint now. Thank u.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I recommended the Small Gods audiobook to a friend just the other day. It’s sad what’s happening to Terry. Thankfully, he’s already left a wonderfully rich legacy.

24. Wedge says:

Well that header image makes this my favouritest bargain bucket ever now. Even if I don’t need anymore games.

25. MattM says:

The Humble Weekly sale is fantastic. S.P.A.Z., Defense Grid, and Jamestown are all fantastic. I’ve only played a little of Shatter but it seems pretty fun. and its soundtrack is worth listening to on its own. I haven’t played Dungeon Defenders and Closure but they both received positive critical response. All six come with DRM free dls, steam keys, and soundtracks with a minimum of $6 USD for all of them.

Jamestown is a great vertical scrolling shump. At its lowest difficulty it is pretty accessible and it supports 4 player-coop. It also has a great soundtrack. S.P.A.Z. is a 2d spaceship game with a focus combat and upgrading your ships. I found the combat to be a lot of fun (once you get a few levels under your belt) and have played through the game 4 times. Defense Grid is probably the best tower defense game around. My favorite aspect is the semi open maps where clever placement of towers can create mazes for the creeps.