Get In Lane: Warhammer 40K Storm Of Vengeance Revealed

By John Walker on December 2nd, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Some concept art.

I can’t keep up with you young people and your slogans. While you’re all hipping on your slideboards, downing an alcoholic milkshake, and playing TV games on your Playboys, I’m sat here wondering what the bloody hell a “lane strategy game” is. For that is how Eutechnyx describes their freshly announced Warhammer game, Storm Of Vengeance.

Oh, they mean MOBA. Why didn’t they just say MOBA? People don’t like “MOBA”? Okay, I’ll come up with a better name for the genre. They’re called Fast Action Real Time Strategy. My pleasure.

While I’m criticising names, did Storm Of Vengeance come from rolling some naming dice? Alternatives may have been [rolls] Heroes Of Victory, or [rolls] Destiny Of Valour. One more? [rolls] Storm Of Vengeance. Oh gosh, look, see? You can see a PDF of the original 1997 40K details for SoV here.

However, the point here is that there’s to be a 40K MOBA. It takes place during the conflict on Piscina IV, because VIDEOGAMES! Grand Master Belial and Ork Warloard Ghazghkull Thraka are the two mains stars because TABLETOP GAMES! I have now typed as many of these words as my brain is willing to, so now I paste:

“Storm of Vengeance offers the player the chance to command the tenacious defence of the planet with only 100 Dark Angel Space Marines, or attempt it’s annihilation using the cunning of the Ork Waaagh! and their telly-porta technology.”

It’s looking like this is primarily a mobile game, with a PC port thrown in for good measure, and that only makes sense considering the dominance of the PC in the genre. It’s due out early next year, and that’s pretty much all the details we have right now.

And no, I’m not letting “Eutechnyx” go either. They’ve had that ridiculous name since 1996. They were Zeppelin games before, which wasn’t exactly a brilliant choice either. But at least you could say it. Then they were Merit Studios Europe, which is obviously very boring. And then Eutechnyx. I can’t even tell if I’m typing that correctly. Did they have a meeting where they all sat around a table bashing out the least memorable and most difficult to spell company name imaginable? “What about ‘Brutichickslop’?” said one member, absolutely certain he’d nailed it. “No,” said another, “Too pronounceable.”

In other news, when announcing your game, do think to include pictures or video, or people have to think of other things to fill the space.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. drewski says:

DOTA with Guns
    DOTA in Space
    Whatever You Do, Don’t Say DOTA…Oops

• Grey Poupon says:

Better just say DotA or Dota. Depending on which game you’re referencing.

• solidsquid says:

DOTA with Starcraft characters?

• Redrik says:

That;s just plain insulting. Starcraft sucks and warhammer 40k was been around many years before lamecraft came out.

2. Shockeh says:

It’s actually comedic how badly GW lumber around trying to deal with the Internet. They’re like a gigantic, lawyer wielding toddler whenever anything IP comes onto their radar that isn’t ‘Intellectual Property’. I mean, you can practically see the pitch in their head.

“Your IP is good, right? This game is selling by the truckload, right? That must mean any game we make using your IP like this game must be good, RIGHT?!?”

The question is whether the developers that have hooked up with them over the years know what they’re doing to them or not, and either answer could make you laugh or cry. Relic aside, I don’t think there’s really been a genuinely ‘great’ GW game at all.

• Snidesworth says:

Chaos Gate and Final Liberation were both fondly regarded, but they’re ancient now. The Dawn of War series was cracking and Space Marine was good (though your enjoyment hinged on how much you liked 40k), but there hasn’t been anything else good in years. Now it seems they’re handing the IP to unproven indie devs, most likely trying to make some quick cash while paying out very little.

At least Total Warhammer is still on the way.

• bills6693 says:

When was the last Total Warhammer news?

Also, I do love the fantasy licence, more so than 40k… but I have gone off CA’s stuff gradually. I feel that Empire (in its patched state) was the pinnacle of the TW games. Napoleon was good too. Then it went into magical battle abilities and more abstracted/simplified elements and just went downhill in my eyes.

However they still sell by the truckload so I assume that I am not in the majority :P

• Volcanu says:

I enjoyed the WFB setting but always found it somewhat more derivative than 40k. Nice to see some a game using it though, I enjoyed Dark Omen all those year’s ago (the talking heads wee a particular treat).

Re CA’s effort, I hold out some hope that the fantasy setting of WFB could be a welcome shot of novelty in the TW series’ arm. There’s also the prospect of having races that are genuinely very different to play as, and against, when you’re freed from the confines of having to make a relatively plausible ‘historical’ game.

That said, the fumbling of Rome TW II isn’t particularly encouraging.

• Casimir Effect says:

Don’t forget Dark Omen, which was pretty fantastic. I must have finished that game 5 times and had to use the infinite gold cheat everytime. And it was still tough as nails at times.

• Squirly says:

Yus! Dark Omen was great. IS great. Still have it, actually, and played it a few months ago. I would love an update to that. Using the TW engine or something.

It’s also one reason why I enjoyed DoW 2, because it actually followed the same formula, sort of. It was a bit more vanilla and dumb, but I enjoyed customizing my squads and distributing “magic” items accordingly.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

You know there is already a completed total conversion for Medieval 2 called ‘Call of Warhammer’.

It’s actually one of the best total conversions (along with ‘The Third Age’) for any TW game ever.

It’s over on MODDB and the TWcenter sites, and the dev team is planning a new patch that adds in Skaven and Wood Elves (maybe more?), and then I think all the major races will be represented.

It’s truly superb, and much better than the complete wank that CA is pushing these days. They will ruin any Warhammer game, just look at the farce that is Rome 2.

• Merijeek says:

Can anyone explain to me GW’s schizophrenic lawyer-usage?

I remember back in the days when GW sued everyone in sight and seemed to be either successful, or at least able to bulldoze any smaller gaming company that they sued.

Now, however, they don’t seem to bother much with their crazy lawyering. Spend a couple minutes looking through http://www.tabletopgamignnews.com and you’ll see loads of stuff that is just as derivative as (say) Shock Force was.

But I haven’t seen any sort of lawsuit talk apart from them dicking over some Blood Bowl guy a couple years ago.

Did they have a change of heart? Obviously not. So what did change?

• Malibu Stacey says:

I think it’s some sort of PTSD from them doing literally nothing when Blizzard ripped off all their races & made super successful games for years which they can’t legally challenge now.

• Merijeek says:

But AFAICT they aren’t even going after the little guys anymore. Maybe someone in charge saw what they were spending on lawyers and decided it wasn’t worth it.

From what I’ve been seeing (not just PC/Console gaming) whomever is running GW seems to be in the process of strip mining the place over the last couple years.

• wolfinexile says:

As a matter of fact, Games Workshop DID send some threatening legal love-letters to Blizzard, but they settled it out of court. Blizzard’s Starcraft went a different direction, and Games Workshop got a new race based off the Protoss (blue, noseless aliens with digitigrade feet, advanced tech base that makes heavy use of autonomous drones) called the Tau.

• Jackablade says:

So was Warcraft: Orcs and Humans originally pitched as a Warhammer game that GW rejected? That was always the story back in the day, but I’ve never been sure whether it was just an old Internet wife’s tale.

• Davie says:

I do know they’ve stopped going after fan film projects, which is good for at least one part of the creative community, and in my mind a hilariously passive admission of how bad the Ultramarines movie was.

• Palindrome says:

Gw has traditionally been very keen on on lawyer attack dogs and would happy send out C&Ds to any website or manufacturer that they deemed to have infringed upon their IP (and GW’s standard here was very, very broad) at least until recently.

A couple of years ago they tried their usual tactics against a company called Chapter House Studios,a small US based company that made 3rd party accessories for GW’s miniatures. The problem for GW is that CHS got some very heavy weight lawyers on a pro bono basis and GW got absolutely fucked in the ensuing trial which GW rather stupidly insisted upon (and the appeal that is ongoing is likely to make them get fucked even more).

Basically GW used to attack anything and everything that looked like it was using GW’s ‘IP’ even if it was something as generic as a double headed eagle. Nowadays they are a bit more circumspect but the recent ‘Spots the space marine’ debacle still shows them to be IP bullies who really don’t understand how IP law works.

GW’s IP does contain some genuinely interesting and unique settings that could be used to make excellent games (Rogue Traders, Necromunda Gangs, Radical Inquisitors….) yet GW is happy to squander all this in the name of F2P mobile games that will undoubtably be utter shite just so they can make their annual reports looks look even slightly healthy.

• aunshi says:

I’d heard it was a big law fight with Mantic games over Dread ball, which is essentially a future based version of Blood Bowl, by the same designer as Blood Bowl. GW came in and threatened law suits, which usually works on small companies, but Mantic actually took it to court and the judge ruled that “Toy soldiers cannot be copyrighted, and GW miniatures comes un der the ‘toy solider’ classification.” Which frees up anyone and everyone to make what ever they like. Mantic then used a bunch of old mold casting machines they bought from (believe it or not) GW to release there own range of gaming miniatures which undercut GW. That being said, GW still have better quality than Mantic, and I recommend everybody moves over to wither Privateer Press, or Wyrd Miniatures.

• Merijeek says:

I agree – there is very little I see of any appeal in Mantic’s stuff. I almost didn’t get involved with “All Quiet on the Martian Front” simply because of my distaste over the involvement of a number of old GW hands.

Anyways, thanks all for the updates. I knew I was out of date on some info and searching for some info can be a real bitch.

Looks like they lived and died by the lawyer – which I guess is the way the world is supposed to work.

• Palindrome says:

This is the first that I have heard of this and to be honest I doubt that it is true. Toy soldiers are classified as art under (most, if not all) IP laws so anyone can make, for example, Space Marine miniatures provided that they aren’t direct copies of GW’s Space Marines (i.e. recasting).

As for Mantic well some of their lines are decent (their Undead), most are passable and some are dreadful (the stuff that came out of their Kings of War Kickstarter). If nothing else at least they resurrected Squats :)

if you want some really nice miniatures have a look at the stuff that Prodos games are making (Warzone Resurrection and their AvP kickstarter)

• aunshi says:

Also, I absolutely agree that GW could use its deep background and selection of games to provide some truly impressive computer games…. Necromunda, Mordhiem, Battlefleet Gothic and Inquisitor would all make great computer games if they were actually handled right (i.e. given over to a competent games developer who had the talent, resources and enthusiasm to do it right)

• Fiyenyaa says:

AH! A Necromunda game would be the best thing ever. The greatest best thing ever! XCOM meets a deeper RPG in a cool hive-world setting.
            AH! I want that now.

• Baines says:

Very broad? GW even went after online stores that were legally selling GW products but had used product photos that were not supplied and/or approved by GW.

• Werthead says:

Their last flourish of threatened legalese was last year when they tried to get a novel called SPOTS THE SPACE MARINE taken off Amazon, claiming that they owned the term ‘Space Marine’ (despite it being invented in 1936 for a short story in an SF magazine, and used very frequently since). After some wrangling, Amazon decided that GW’s claim was moronic and reinstated the novel. The SFWA president then announced the creation of a Space Marine anthology about Space Marines called SPACE MARINE and invited GW to bite him if they had a problem with it, which they have not done so far (and everyone is waiting for them to try, because the SFWA would bury them).

• Poppis says:

Where is the witcher/skyrim of 40k/warhammer fantasy? My arm is ready to throw money at it.

• Hillbert says:

Gotrek and Felix in a Gods of War style game would be a treat.

• iucounu says:

I would like a procedurally-generated Inquisitor-based Fallout-style RPG/XCOM hybrid thing, please.

3. TillEulenspiegel says:

“Lane strategy game” does sound suspiciously like oh god not another MOBA, but the quoted bit of the press release makes it sound more tower defence-y. Also the fact that it’s being released for iOS.

4. TychoCelchuuu says:

The proper name is “Lords Management” game, or LOMA.

5. Jams O'Donnell says:

I think they meant a “LOMA.”

I’m so glad there are so many worthwhile Warhammer-licensed games at the moment.

6. pepperfez says:

Dammit Games Workshop.

Please
    just
    stop.

7. Volcanu says:

Sigh. Looks sure to be yet ANOTHER mediocre use (prostitution?) of the license – this time an effort to jump on the passing MOBA bandwagon.

Seems anyonewho can rustle up the £42.37 needed for a GW license is getting one. This being the case expect to see my 40K-skinned Farmville clone on RPS next week – It’ll be called 40K – Corn of Vengeance and it will be utterly awful.

• Shockeh says:

I want to play Corn of Vengeance, if only to make more farming/40k crossover puns. :(

Corn of Vengeance: Soul (Combine) Harvester.

• Soulstrider says:

You mean Khorne of Vengeance I assume. Otherwise how would you get those delicious khorne flakes

• RedWurm says:

Cud for the cud god!

• bills6693 says:

I think ‘Khorn of VEGence’ would be more fitting still…

Careful guys, they could be reading this. It could be the next big twitfacerbook+ game.

• Volcanu says:

The first item of DLC will be the (reasonably priced at £4.99) Baneblade Baler. So you can intone in a masculine voice “Ready to unleash eleven bales of hell” whilst pootling about some interminable agri-world.

Umm…yes, I may be scraping the bottom of the pun barrel already here..

• Merijeek says:

You can have different kinds of fields. And there will be Bolters to make Bolts of Textiles.

• The Random One says:

In the grim darkness of the far future you will be able to collect from these fields. Or pay 500 Grim Cash to collect now!

8. Rao Dao Zao says:

The proper name is SAUSAGES. I can’t remember what the acronym expanded to, but it was 100% legit.

9. Cam says:

Oprah: “And YOU get a Moba, and YOU get a Moba; everyone gets a Moba!”

I wonder if these recent mobas have more to do with artistic and gameplay vision, or if they’re being spawned from a fierce desire to cash in on the micro-transaction craze…

• DrGonzo says:

Thematically it’s one of the best fits for Warhammer 40k, there is only war! I just hope they change it up a bit, make it a 1st person shooter mixed with moba or something. I don’t understand the hate for new mobas coming out. No one screams when someone announces yet another [insert random genre].

• darkChozo says:

There’s been a couple of games recently that have called themselves MOBAs even when they only superficially resemble DOTA/LoL/whatever-is-your-favorite-game-i-won’t-judge, Magicka Wizard Wars being the one that jumps out in my mind. This could be a marketer labeling the game as populargenre when it’s really its own thing.

• Baines says:

MOBA was always a terrible name. It never really described the types of games that it supposedly described. “Multiplayer Online Battle Arena” is as much a description of the average online FPS as it is the average “MOBA”.

And thus anything that showed even a passing resemblance to a “MOBA” was called, generally in a derogatory fashion, a (bandwagon-jumping) MOBA itself.

Worse, even the definition of a MOBA arguably doesn’t well describe a particular genre. Games with similar design, which would probably be closer to accepted MOBA games than other genres, are excluded. If people want to keep MOBA as a description, then they either need to accept some larger category which MOBA are only a sub-category of, or they need to expand the definition of MOBA to itself become that larger category. (Preferably not the latter, because again “MOBA” is a lousy name.) “Lane strategy game” is pretty good, as was “lane pusher”.

• darkChozo says:

Eh, not really. Developers and publishers love to call their games MOBAs, almost certainly because they want some of that sweet, sweet LoL money. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone call a game a MOBA derisively, at least outside of “MOBA is a dumb name for a genre and let me tell you why” arguments. That would be a rather weird and obtuse way to make a point.

EDIT: your last paragraph didn’t exist when I wrote that. Curse you, internet, for your malleability!

10. aldo_14 says:

Isn’t Truck Simulator a “lane strategy game”?

• Zunt says:

The only game I can think of that could be so called is the one where you play Superman’s girlfriend and must plot ways of bedding ol’ Supes without getting torn to shreds like a jelly that an angry toddler has just thrust his arm into.

• Sinkytown says:

Wii Bowling is my favourite Lane Strategy game. That or Sonic R.

• Junkie says:

Is Plants vs. Zombies a lane strategy game?

11. Rincewind says:

I pray that the MOBA phase passes soon, so that my League-of-Legend-playing friends will stop badgering me and trying to get me to play it.

I have enough games to get through as it is! And I haven’t even BOUGHT Europa Universalis IV yet. That’ll be a solid 100 hours of gaming. At least.

12. kael13 says:

“Let one rip” – The latest term for getting a kill streak in said Fast Action Real Time Strategy game.

13. 12inchPlasticToy says:

This is the first Scottish orc I have ever seen.

14. Bluerps says:

Man, now I want an alcoholic milkshake. :(

15. Steven Hutton says:

I remain cautiously optimistic about this. Eutechnyx are a local studio to me and I always want to see them do well and certainly they have their share of talented developers. There’s no fundamental reason that a game like this can’t or couldn’t be a success as long as the design focuses on delivering good, interesting gameplay above incentivising micro-transations and the like.

Gamesworkshop are rumoured to be very pleased with the success of Warhammer Quest on iOS so it’s not at all surprising to see them expanding further into the marketplace. Warhammer Quest is reportedly quite good and doesn’t do too much in the way of letting it’s business model interfere with gameplay. Or at least, so I’m told.

I’m always ready for a good new Warhammer game so I’ll be happy to at least keep an eye on this.

• SkittleDiddler says:

GW need to release something like Warhammer Quest for the PC. With the recent resurgence in turn-based games, it could do phenomenally well if done by the right developer.

I want my treasured Advanced Heroquest ruleset on PC, dammit. I’ve been pining for a detailed video game translation of that IP for years. They can call it whatever they want, just as long as I get it before I’m too old to manage a mouse and keyboard properly.

16. DuneTiger says:

Let’s play with snowclones!

Warhammer 40K: Lollipop of Grumpiness

17. Maxheadroom says:

You had me at 40k

Then lost me at MOBA

18. RedViv says:

Should have gone with Hordes of Slaughtered.
    Or Warp of the Storm.

19. treeroy says:

I’m really glad Eutechnyx are the ones developing the new Warhammer game. Ever since Ride to Hell: Retribution, they’ve been my favourite development house.

20. John Walker says:

Why is everyone saying “MOBA”? They’ve got a new name now!

• Warduke says:

What is the new name?

• Zunt says:

Avenue Rumpus Strategy Evaluator.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Is the impending arrival of our venerable and most holy Endless Bear making you grumpier than usual or what?

• tormos says:

Nothing can make John grumpier. We have reached peak John grumpiness.

• Volcanu says:

I’m enjoying the picture I have to say. Did you draw that yourself John?

I’m particularly fond of the sheepish look on that ork’s face along with the “ooh sorry” exclamation- which I imagine is being said in the voice of Graham Norton’s priest in Father Ted.

21. thebluemonkey81 says:

I can’t read “Lane strategy game” with out hearing “glammed up tower defense game”… which to me is a lot like when they make toddlers “sexy” for beauty pageants.

I really liked dawn of war 1, what’s wrong with more of that?

22. Lemming says:

GW Really don’t give a shit who they hawk their license for video games out to any more, do they?

• Bull0 says:

They’re trying the “let everyone shit at the wall and see what sticks” approach, it would seem

23. Ergates_Antius says:

And no, I’m not letting “Eutechnyx” go either
    sounds a bit like eugenics

24. Sarkhan Lol says:

Dawn of War 2 had a 3v3 laned desert map. Play that and you’ve already played a 40k moba.

• Steven Hutton says:

That’s actually probably better than a lot of mobas.

25. MrUnimport says:

Sweet Dreams Are Made of Creeps – Eutechnyx

26. Chillz says:

I think all of you managed to miss the fact that John drew that, clearly he’s in the wrong line of work.

• Ich Will says:

There is no way that artwork is anything other than official concept work. No way.

• Bull0 says:

Not NEARLY enough skulls to be official. Stand them both on a pile of skulls, change the dark angel’s mace to some kind of skull on a stick, and you’re getting close

27. Bull0 says:

Urgh, speaking as a committed 40k fan, do not want

28. SillyWizard says:

Why is the space marine holding an Xbox Kinect in his left hand?

• darkChozo says:

Well, the Imperium is a paranoid dystopia. John probably felt that the Kinect fits right in.

29. kdz says:

I think the image at the top shouldn’t be as funny as I find it.

30. strangeloup says:

I have gone through all the comments and am in some strange position between disappointment and relief that I am apparently the only person who genuinely thought this was being described as a “lame strategy game”.

31. Gap Gen says:

Drizzle of Grudges.

32. pottering says:

“I’m not letting “Eutechnyx” go either.”
    Eutechnyx sounds like the tech version of eugenics, or rather, eugenyx.

edit: oops, sorry for repeating the joke, but I’ll leave it here as a sign that the other guy is not utterly insane

33. Brothabear says:

Another Poorly Written Article by RPS….journalist must work for yahoo i swear.

34. abyss513 says:

Fast Action Real Time Strategy = Farts
    masterful
    and fits moba perfectly

35. Dave L. says:

Sega and Relic and GW need to announce that they’ve sorted out letting Relic continue the Dawn of War and/or Space Marine series soon. The shitty games are only going to weaken the perception of 40k.

36. Geen says:

They should really let the E.Y.E folks do a Rogue Trader game or something.
    Or make a game about orks. Really, anything. FPS, RTS, RPG, Racing Game, Flight Sim…

37. TehK says:

Wonder what Eutechnyx did previously… let’s have a look at good old wikipedia.

2013 Ride to Hell: Retribution (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)

Oh dear…

38. frymaster says:

I know it was in the original and so not an RPS fault, so I’m not blaming Mr Walker, but…

“or attempt it’s annihilation ”

“or attempt it is annihilation” really gets on my nerves :(

Thus ends my small pointless rant of the hour

39. vahnn says:

I think it’s supposed to sound similar to the name of that band, Eurhythmics from the 80′s.

40. aldrenean says:

To be fair, “MOBA” is a pretty atrocious acronym: “multiplayer” and “online” are redundant, as are “battle” and “arena”, and the whole acronym could be used to accurately describe pretty much any competitive multiplayer game. “ARTS” isn’t much better, but at least the “RTS” part is descriptive. I’ve never heard “LOMA” before this comments thread, it’s definitely the best of the three, though its sheer ungoogleability is a strong mark against it.

41. Tommo says:

Well… i dont even know what MOBA stands for! I know that DOTA is a”MOBA”, i see people play it ALL THE TIME on Steam.
    I’m now oldish and I’ve somehow managed to avoid all MOBAisms.
    Thank god!… i think

42. Benjamin Sherwood says:

“lane strategy game” does *not* mean MOBA, or anything of the sort. If you look at the last game for mobile devices that Eutechnyx did, it was Ninja Cats vs Samurai Dogs (quite an enjoyable low-strategy way to pass the time). I can only imagine that SoV will be a similar type of game, but with Warhammer 40k theme.