SteamPipe Jerks: Just Cause 2 MP Mod Coming To Steam

By Graham Smith on December 2nd, 2013 at 10:01 am.

They've added game modes, but it's worth it just for the freeform chaos.

Just Cause 2 never gets its due. The third-person, open world shooter was hamstrung by mediocre missions, but it was also vast, beautiful and joyfully silly. It’s a game where you could do things like tether a plane to a hot air balloon and then surf atop the unguided plane as it loops around and around. It’s a game where you could fly using a parachute and a grappling hook, and where mods made that grappling hook infinitely strong, infinitely re-usable, and near-infinite in length.

The Just Cause 2 MP mod has been working on bringing the lonely madness beyond the realms of those missions. I’ve played it, it’s great, and now it’s coming to Steam.

In a post on the mod’s site announcing that the final beta test will run from December 7th till the 14th, the mod team let loose the news that they’d been working on Steam integration for months.

That doesn’t mean that the JC2 MP is going to be a paid for release via the Steam store. It’s still free. Instead, like DayZ before it, this means the mod will use the Steam infrastructure to deliver its files. You’ll be able to install it by pressing the Install button rather than having to extract files or run a separate executable, and the Steam server browser will allow you to connect with your friends as per any other Steam game.

Maybe it’ll have Steam achievements also, but I’m rooting for SteamPipe integration so I can justify the title of this post. “Try to transfer your game now, you SteamPipe jerks.”

, , , , .

1. Mr. Mister says:

Racing is the best, but I’m also excited to test the Planetside gamemode.

2. Tei says:

How impresive is this? From a singleplayer only game , to a massive multiplayer one with gamemodes like race, factions.. And is only alfa, maybe this will evolve to a tiny community has creative a Garrys Mod.

3. LionsPhil says:

hamstrung by mediocre missions

I dunno; I think JC2 got it right where a lot of “open world”-ers are apparently now getting it wrong. Most of its missions I can remember (which are mostly the side ones) kept things open. Want to chase down that fleeing victim in a jet, rather than the sports-car provided? Knock yourself out. Tank? Well, sure, if you can keep u—oh, you shot it? Yeah, that’s cool too.

Virtually none of it was in a cutscene, or in a shackled press-only-the-right-buttons “in-game” almost-cutscene. The very ending is the only bit I remember that was quite on rails, and frankly I’ll let it off given what it was doing.

• Viroso says:

Exactly. The missions were repetitive? Yes, but they kept your freedom. I much prefer to do awesome things on my own then have the game do them for me. Also, despite having repetitive missions, the way they were strung together was great. You could keep the game going non stop, you never had to move too much before finding the next mission.

I think to this day one of the best open world games like that I played was Mercenaries, missions weren’t necessarily repetitive and they were incredibly open.

• dE says:

It probably didn’t help that the missions were basically “best-of 90s action movies”. There’s a reason those died out and it’s the same reason people roll their eyes and sneer at the game’s missions. It’s a direction that gets often dubbed as childish, immature and stupid.

• LionsPhil says:

Speak for yourself. I found them great because they were the best bits of ’80s/’90s action movies, and it let you play them, not just press X to watch them.

I’ll take Arnie chewing out one-liners over the modern “gritty” dreck any day.

• dE says:

What the hell is your problem with me anyway? Even when I agree with you, you go off like a bloody landmine.

-cut out the rest of the reply -

/Edit:
          On a second thought, back on the blocklist with you, since your first reaction to my posts is always “pile on the hate” and your second reaction “better second draft that for even more hate”.

• Bull0 says:

You’re saying action movies died out?

• SillyWizard says:

Have you seen Expendables 2?

They’re still makin’ ‘em, but I (and I expect many others) have finally stopped watchin’ ‘em.

• LionsPhil says:

Well, what’s the modern Eraser, or True Lies, or Total Recall, or Demolition Man, or Predator, or Universal Soldier?

Because Expendables was an “action” film where most of the action was hidden behind truly godawfully bad cinematography and CGI postprocessing. Most of the rest of it has burnt itself out of my memory in disgust.

• Tei says:

Action movies where a 80′s thing. The 90′s killed it with self-conscious shame.
            We can’t have a 2013 movie where Rambo return to that small town in Afganistan, to meet his old-friends the Taliban/now enemies. Also we live in a world with much less freedoom, … the moviemakers would not touch a meaningful theme these days, even inside the context of a cartoonic violence flick.

• dE says:

No. I’m not. I’m saying action movies in the style of that era died out. There are plenty of action movies now, but they have little thought in them. It’s just cgi-explosions after explosions, characters have lost their importance in these glorified boomfests. The so called main characters are posterboys without an edge, without any flaws. Perfectly tanned sparkly teenage emo boys trying to look tough.

• The Random One says:

By and large the missions were cool. The problem is that to access more open world missions you had to play the stronghold missions, and those weren’t repetitive, they were EXACTLY THE SAME. Escort the technician! Open the gate! Move forward! Kill tuff enemy! Move forward! Kill tuffer enemy! Hold the ground! OH NO A GUNSHIP fin

• onodera says:

The missions were not the problem. Lack of them was the problem. You have a gazillion bazillion locations in the game, and the only thing you can do in most of them is destroy everything and steal every powerup while being chased by endlessly respawning enemies. I’m not wishing you could talk to monsters, but the world is simply too big for the content. Far Cry 3 was the right size, in my opinion. And you could actually run out of enemies in a mission there.

• j3w3l says:

exactly! It made the missions far more enjoyable that you could complete them in many different ways. I remember flying to a kill mission and just thinking why not crash this plane into them…yep, mission complete.

phuzz says:

From my Steam profile:

Just Cause 2
    222 hrs on record

I had to uninstall it in the end.

5. noodlecake says:

I got bored of this incredibly quickly. I had the same problem with this that I have with Saints Row. There’s lots to do but none of the stuff to do is particularly fun. I’d rather have a few very well designed and well balanced mechanics than tons of mediocre ones.

• Zekiel says:

^^ This.

I can understand why some people think its amazing (it does have wonderful freedom) but it wasn’t the game for me. Shame.

• Lagwolf says:

Yes, I found SR3 dull as well. Never played Just Cause 2. Tried the demo & found the controls a bit annoying on keyboard/mouse.

6. Frantics says:

nice! I prefer single player games but that mod is actually funner than I thought which says something I thought it would be well sick. Really really great stuff.

Game itself one of best ever, good in so many different ways. First time I loaded the demo and saw that mountain I knew I needed it, didn’t take long to buy full price no preorder despite desperately running around the demo trying to convince myself not to buy it to save money pointing out flaws. Any so called flaws are irrelevant tbh. Can be peacefully running around looking at some of the most beautiful sights in gaming, have fun with some unique paragliding then find some cool hidden secret then get diverted into some crazy chase with scenes cooler than any action movie. The way the physics and sound/weapons work is so cool. The first seems better in some ways tho, which is fine by me, makes both worth playing.

Can’t agree about the missions I like the simplicity and relative open structure of the side ones and the main ones are some of coolest easily I’ve seen in an open world or any game! All of the main missions are rediculoous! Mediocre? naaah! Can’t say more without spoilers but they really went big with the main ones. A rarely satisfying ending too.

also has a nice rebellious thing going on and likes to take the piss. they got all their weapons from America!! and in the game!!

Crazy damned pedestrians!

7. TechnicalBen says:

But Steam is closed and not for indies and bad and DRM and stuff… grumble grumble.

/sarcasm.

(Sorry, it’s poor form from me there. :/ )

• Leb says:

I won’t play this until all occurrences of female cleavage is removed! Sexism grumble grumble

• PFlute says:

Except “But Steam is closed and not for indies and bad and DRM” is a thing people actually say and “I won’t play this until all occurrences of female cleavage is removed!” is an exaggeration/frightfully common strawman.

8. derbefrier says:

Sweet this is an excellent mod. I didn’t even care for JC2 that much but the sheer insanity of this mod is well worth the few bucks jc2 costs during a sale.

9. Loque says:

Now available for $4 on nuuvem.com.br, get it before it expires (it’s $7 on Steam).

• The Random One says:

Or wait for the Christmas sales, when I assure you it will be sold for under $2 on a variety of sellers.

• Leb says:

it was 3$ on steam in a flash sale the other day

10. JoshuaMadoc says:

WELP

Time to prepare my anus for some serious multiplayersplosions. And a lot of fucking lag. My ISP’s great.

11. Pich says:

Protip: don’t go to the airport.

12. Deadly Sinner says:

Wait, what’s the developers place in all of this? Valve hasn’t officially supported mods to other peoples’ games before to my knowledge.

• Zelius says:

Sure they have. As the article says, DayZ is one example. And the Steam Workshop is another.

13. Spakkenkhrist says:

When I played the multiplayer mod there was a huge group of players calling themselves “the niggers”, kind of ruined the fun for me.

14. aiusepsi says:

SteamPipe is Steam’s infrastructure for delivering files, so yes, you could indeed say it has SteamPipe integration. Along with every other game on Steam.