Tinker, Trailer, Master Spy: Play This Platformer Demo

By Graham Smith on December 2nd, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Why didn't I spend my life becoming a spy.

You can keep your self-driving cars, Amazon delivery drones and cryptographic currencies. The future I’m excited about is the one in which I get to play Master Spy. The 2D evasion platformer is about sneaking past guards, cameras and dogs using a an invisibility cloak to a soundtrack of ’80s synth. It has unaccountable floating platforms, unaccountably beautiful pixel art, and it understands the power of the GIF.

It’s up on Steam Greenlight now, and there’s a teaser trailer below that sells its wiley charms.

So it’s like Gunpoint without the crosslink crossed with Snatcher crossed with, I don’t know, a platform game about jumping. There’s a video and GIFs on this very page. Work it out.

I first encountered Master Spy a few months ago via the #screenshotsaturday hashtag on Twitter, and I made a note of it in part because it was using animated GIFs instead of static screenshots. They instantly capture the appeal of the game. Kris Truitt posted another at the weekend, from a mission that is maybe called “Feldstrom Electro’s Mansion in the Rhine”.

The only disadvantage to these depicted moments of platforming prowess is that they make the game look difficult. It is, but fret not. I’ve played the early free demo, and you’ll find yourself using the instant restarts to quickly create your own swift runs through each level’s geometry of detection.

There’s now a new demo playable in your browser to entice you to vote for it on the Master Spy Steam Greenlight page.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. katheb says:

Does not look like it plays like a stealth game, just a platformer.

• Solidstate89 says:

Yeah, if that GIF is truly indicative of what kind of gameplay we can expect, it looks like the “stealth” will just be used a very weak game mechanic.

When I read 2D and Stealth, I was expecting something along the lines of Mark of the Ninja.

• Zulthar says:

Actually, he’s wearing an invincibility cloak in the GIF

2. Kein says:

Gunpoint was unforgivable short to me. Even though this game seems to be more concentrated on platforming elements rather than being puzzle platformer ™ (GP did contain elements you can call “puzzle”) it sure looks interesting.

3. thekelvingreen says:

It looks like Impossible Mission to me.

4. SominiTheCommenter says:

HTML5 and not the Unity plugin. Very impressive.

5. TURBOGUN says:

Kris with TurboGun here, thanks for sharing Graham! I do get a little carried away with gifs, don’t I…

Thanks to everyone for checking it out!

6. fish99 says:

Waiting for the Amazon drone killed my dog stories.

• Baines says:

Waiting for the injury reports and other accidents caused by the blades either hitting people/animals, or the device getting caught in something like a clothesline. And what about when a kid runs up to a landing (or taking off) drone?

And for people to steal them. Sure, they will be in urban areas, so it might be less likely to see them shot down, but someone will eventually take potshots at them. Or otherwise try to take them out and/or steal their cargo.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

And then come the countermeasures: cameras and other ‘safety devices’ protecting Amazon’s profits.

7. Njordin says:

Feldstrom Futures? Dang! such a spoiler. i thought it was Rosenberg Industries all the time.