Synapse Judgment: Frozen Endzone Trailer Touches Down

By Nathan Grayson on December 3rd, 2013 at 8:00 am.

The sequel, Frozen Friendzone, will be much whinier and full of spiteful oversimplifications of human relationship dynamics. Also, it will be 75 percent more blue.

Are you ready for some hard-hitting, neon-sweat-slick (but not like in those silly Gatorade commercials) eSports? I mean that literally, too: Frozen Synapse developer Mode 7 has devised its very own electronic sport. Balls are thrown, touchdowns are scored, lives are at stake. OK, maybe not so much that last one, but that’s not to say that Frozen Endzone is a total departure from Frozen Synapse’s simultaneous turn-based battle of wits and weaponry. For one, it reprises the latter’s brand of two-steps-ahead-or-else-you’re-dead strategy, and also an inordinate number of things are blue. Something for everyone! Watch it in action and learn about the right-around-the-corner beta below.

Mode 7 is planning to let the games begin on December 5th with a pre-order beta. Buying one copy will snag an extra copy for a friend, too, so spend (ir)responsibly. Testing will last until some point in 2014, at which point all systems will be go.

It already looks rather nice – with randomly generated levels and XCOM-like zoom-in moments making for especially nice touches – but I’ll be interested to see how it evolves. The basic competitive mode is all well and good, but I could see that huffing and puffing and panting and collapsing and shouting its own name and exploding before too long without some extra juice to keep it chugging along. Fortunately, Mode 7 has promised additional multiplayer modes and some form of single-player. Here’s hoping that they’re suitably substantial.

As someone who adored Frozen Synapse, I’ll definitely be checking this one out, despite my normal aversion to anything that even vaguely resembles a sports game. How about you?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MajorManiac says:

Looks great. Not sure about the randomized pitch obstacles though.

I’d be happy to have a we-go Bloodbowl.

• Wedge says:

Yeah the randomly generated part seems a bit odd. I mean it’s fine for having some variation, but some fixed designs seem like they’d have a place a well. The whole thing just looks as if it might be lacking some depth compared to Frozen Synapse, though it will also certainly be a lot easier to pick up and play. Either way, I’ll be happy to get more music from Mr. Taylor.

• SillyWizard says:

Judging from all the modes available in FS, I expect FE will give you a lot of options for fiddling with the obstacles.

• rachiel789 says:

before I saw the receipt for $4805, I be certain …that…my neighbours mother woz truley taking home money parttime on their computer.. there sisters roommate has been doing this for under sixteen months and a short time ago paid the dept on there apartment and got a brand new Aston Martin DB5. Read More Here….www.bay91.com

2. jezcentral says:

Here’s hoping they fix the multi-player results. Losing a multiplayer game? Refuse to take your turn, and let the other person stew in frustration while you preserve your win-loss ratio.

It was close to being my perfect game, but I couldn’t stand being left in the lurch by my opponents. I can understand why you wouldn’t want to go back to a game you were losing, but Mode 7 really should have sorted this out. They kept promising to, but never did.

3. Phinor says:

Just waiting on the pricing now. Will be interesting to see how a sports-ish game like this works turn based.

4. Viroso says:

I`d love for a demo on this. I really enjoyed Frozen Synapse but after changing my machine it stopped working. Something to do with AMD CPU and GPU, one of these or both. Tried everything to fix the game, nothing really worked. Don`t want to get the game only to find out the same problem still exists.

5. Juke says:

Considering I love football, turn-based games, and far-future fictional sports that exist only *in* games, this is essentially a targeted missile strike against my intrigue sensors. That said, I have an incredibly specific nitpick: I hope the throwing animations get improved. I suppose a robot would have various hydraulic assistance and might be able to fling a metal ball from the wrist like these guys, but us humans have to generate power from the shoulder!

This is clearly an annoyance derived from entirely too many years watching televised sports, but something about these robot titans’ pitchin’ & catchin’ feels, well, a tad… implausible.

6. dannyblackeyes says:

I think we can all agree that the abbreviation of this game title should be “FrEndzone”.

Comment on this story