Galactic Princess Is As Pretty As A Thing

By Craig Pearson on December 4th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

If you won't tell George Lucas then neither will we
You know, if you’d told me that my freelance career would coincide with the biggest resurgence in space gaming, I probably wouldn’t left my job. I don’t have time for this. Something’s going to have to give if I want to have time to play all these damn games and pay the bills. Galactic Princess is another game of space exploration and expansion, this time rendered in the sort of high-definition pixel art that makes everything look retro and futuristic at the same time. It’s a “spaceship survival sandbox”, one where you’re the captain of a ship and doing what you can to survive. The bad thing you do rhymes with “bravery”.

While the trailer below doesn’t tell us much, the site suggests you’ll be joined on the ship with a diverse crew, defining their roles as the ship limps along through space, and using them as cannon fodder when boarding parties. When they’re not being mashed under the Mantis storm troopers (who also might become allies) they’ll be repairing upgrading the ship, fitting the weapons systems, engines, and everything else that you’ve traded for along the way.

It also has this gif. Check out the cat top left. That’s the sort of ship I’d crew, even if it does sometimes truck in the nasty business of slavery. Watch the trailer, but also check the site out. It’s poorly translated English, but it’s also rather lovely.

With a wave to Indie Statik

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Bedeage says:

Hot stuff. I’m very glad that there are all these limited-scope SP games coming out, having become a worker drone I no longer have much time for games – definitely not for the epic meanderings of things like STALKER or the points-fest of Battlefield.

2. Tuhalu says:

If someone had told me at any point in my life up to now that I’d be interested in game called Galactic Princess I’d be a little bit surprised. Looks like it could be fun though.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

An FTL knock-off already? Crimmeny.

At least it’s a very accomplished looking knock-off.

• Phasma Felis says:

Do something for the first time, you’re a genius; for the 100th time, you’re iterating on a time-honored tradition; but do it the *second* time, and you’re a damn filthy ripoff bastard. Funny how it works, innit?

Anyway, yeah, I’d been hoping for some more games in FTL’s particular sub-genre. There’s fertile fields to mine there, if you’ll excuse the awful metaphor; the only one I’m aware of, Star Command, was annoyingly linear and fiddly.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Ah, don’t put words in my mouth, sir! I didn’t say that it was filthy, just that it was standing on the shoulders of giants.

I have nothing against knock-offs, as long as they’re good.

• mistwolf says:

Knock-off as a phrase has definite pejorative tones. Clone a bit less so. ‘inspired by’ or ‘in the subgenre of’ seem more what you intended. In the vein of, maybe? But yeah. knock-off means ‘cheap copy of’. Noone put words in your mouth, you just chose the wrong ones yourself. :)

This looks interesting, would definitely play. I loved FTL and am glad to see things in that style, perhaps with somewhat less of a brutal and immediate ending.

• TheGameSquid says:

You said “At least”, indicating that your previous sentence (“An FTL knock-off already? Crimmeny.”) was meant to be interpreted as something negative. That’s why we are probably confused.

• SillyWizard says:

Indeed, there’s much room to explore, here. Wow. So spaceship. Such crew.

• SgtStens says:

Yeah, I was really let down by Star Command. It had great art and some wonderful little bits of personality, but ultimately felt like half a game.

• phuzz says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love FTL, so another similar game will probably tickle my fun buttons as well, but you have to admit that this paragraph sounds a lot like a description of FTL:

• RzTen1 says:

Sure, it sounds like FTL but it LOOKS a lot more like Captain Forever (or Captain Successor). At least to me anyway. :)

4. Stardreamer says:

You’re Doing It Right, Games Industry. Finally.

5. Skabooga says:

The bad thing you do rhymes with “bravery”.

Hmm, the last thing I want to do is be involved with knavery.

• Nim says:

Agree, that would be unsavory.

• SillyWizard says:

And would likely result in some serious karate.

• Gap Gen says:

Yes, you’d better behavery.

• The Random One says:

This is getting too complicated. Better to watch a nice classic cartoon. I recommend one directed by Tex Avery.

• frightlever says:

This went right over my head. What IS the bad thing you do that rhymes with ‘bravery’?

• SnoozeFest says:

Was trying to think of a clever word that rhymed with it that would help you out, but realised that they would be as useful as the previous ones to tell you the actual answer…. which I assume is haivery.

Sorry, for some reason ’500 miles’ song popped into my head at the last minute when I was typing (And if I haver, hey, I know I’m gonna be, I’m gonna be the man who’s havering to you)… the actual answer is slavery.

• frightlever says:

Ah. Thanks. Obvious when you say it. In my defence I’m only one coffee into the morning.

• Optimaximal says:

Depravery.

6. bit_crusherrr says:

Lets see:
    2D
    “8-bit” inspired graphics
    Indie
    Side scrolling
    References to pop culture

Yep this checks out it’s a 100% bona fide textbook indie game.

• MrUnimport says:

Yeah, what’s with the slouchy pixel people?

• Gap Gen says:

Programmers stand a chance of not screwing up pixel art.

• Synesthesia says:

Wow, people really think making pixel art is easy dont they?
          This has a superbrothers look to it. Is it him? It looks fantastic.

• bit_crusherrr says:

I’m not tired of pixel art because I think it’s lazy. It’s just far too common these days. Most of it is far too “retro” as well if you get what I mean. I wish someone would make an indie game with the quality of a Metal Slug game. That has some fucking awesome sprites.

• Phasma Felis says:

“I’m not tired of pixel art because I think it’s lazy. It’s just far too common these days.”

As opposed to 3D, which nobody ever uses anymore? o_O

• Gap Gen says:

I didn’t say it was easy, BTW.

• jrodman says:

My unasked for opinion is that pixelated art styles aren’t exhausted at all. However I think there are two common subsets that leave me a bit weary. The first subset is pixelated art that looks very similar to other popular stylistic pixelated art games — unless you’re trying to mine some genre space (which has its own risks) then you probably should find some sort of unique taste in your art direction. The second subset is pixelated art with *no* art direction.

• Niko says:

Mercenary Kings is a game with graphics (by Paul Robertson) on par with Metal Slug.

• GameCat says:

You forgot about “platformer”.
      Also there’s nothing wrong with neat pixelart.

BTW, “references to popculture in indie games” is pissing me off slightly these days.

• bit_crusherrr says:

A lot of games are relying on references far too much for humour these days (A great example of this being Redshit, sorry Redshirt). They need to realise just because you reference something funny doesn’t make it funny.

• RobF says:

I don’t think that’s especially unique to indie games but anyway, I agree in the main. Or if you are going to lumber your game with pop culture references at least do it with some soul.

• bit_crusherrr says:

It kind of depends, like to use Redshirt as an example. You expect Star Trek references because it is loosely based on it. But when all the humour that isn’t referenced to Star Trek is popular songs and other pop culture references it’s boring as fuck as either these “jokes” have run their course or were never funny in the first place.

• jrodman says:

IMO, it’s totally possible to create a bunch of reference-oriented humor with charm and wit.

That said, there’s a lot of humorless references in modern games with no charm and no wit.

• Phasma Felis says:

How awful! God help us, it might even be (shudder) fun.

• Caiman says:

It’s a crapload better than:
      3D squad-based FPS
      Lead by the nose gameplay
      NPCs that open doors for you
      Dubstep trailer
      Microtransactions
      Day one DLC
      Two-layer DRM
      Epic tale of a man, in a world, gone to hell, and other shit writing

ie. the usual traits of AAA games.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Hey, what did dubstep trailers ever do to you, huh?

I’d argue they’re actually the highest point of many games.

• Dave Tosser says:

They’re all as dull as each other, I’d say. Indies are not free from playing it safe, trite and twee just because they’re a different sort of safe, trite and twee to the freedom eagle manshoot going on topside.

• Totally heterosexual says:

You include being “indie” as a part of the list of what makes it a textbook indie game.

I hope you realize that you are a moron.

7. yhancik says:

So, Sword&Sworcery in space?

(I kid I kid) (well only partly)

• Harlander says:

Adding “in space” to the end of things to make a new thing improves many things, though less so if the original thing was already in space.

• jrodman says:

Testing:
        Apollo 13, In Space

Deep Space 9, In Space

Lost in Space, In Space.

I think it works.

8. hery8us says:

Abby. although Denise`s story is flabbergasting… on wednesday I got themselves a Land Rover Defender from bringing in $9333 this last month an would you believe ten-grand this past month. it’s by-far the most-comfortable job I’ve ever had. I started this 9-months ago and pretty much straight away startad earning over $87… p/h. try here http://goo.gl/f6e95V

9. Bull0 says:

That artwork is so unbelievably ripped off I don’t even

• Phasma Felis says:

“Good artists borrow; great artists steal.”

You can’t “rip off” an art style. You can only do it better or worse.

• Gap Gen says:

I think they mean this: http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/82011/swcportal.jpg

Which, I guess, is fair enough if it’s a parody rather than a straight copy.

• Bull0 says:

No, I meant this one. Which is even more definitely the same

Yeah, if it’s parody that’s a different matter. I wasn’t getting that, though.

• darkChozo says:

I’m preeeetty sure it’s a reference, what with that being one of the most iconic movie posters ever and this apparently being some sort of riff on/homage to sci-fi movies.

• Phasma Felis says:

Oh my God, really? I thought you were you were just grumping that their overall art style is very Superbrothers-y. You’re telling me you didn’t realize that faux-poster was a parody? You thought somebody looked at the iconic poster for the most popular movie in history and went “mwahaha, I will claim this as my own and no one will ever know!”

I mean, wow. Did you find Spaceballs to be a shameless theft of intellectual property? Do you think Weird Al should be in prison for passing off forgeries?

• Bull0 says:

Yeah if you could stop being so rude about it, that’d be great. I already said if it’s intended as parody it’s not a problem. Look at me, I’m not giving the benefit of the doubt to some random devs I’ve never heard of, what a bastard I am.

• gwathdring says:

I don’t think it’s a parody. Just a reference. Which is fine.

• Bull0 says:

Whatever you want to call it, but I was never taught to just project huge amounts of cultural awareness and artistic intent onto people on the basis that they’d done one picture that borrowed heavily from another picture without offering up any clear commentary or some sort of slant. It’s a bit of a leap of faith at best! I’ll wait for them to prove their intent and until then I’m cocking an eyebrow.

• Optimaximal says:

As DarkChozo says, the word you’re looking for is ‘homage’.

You know, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Harvest_(Family_Guy)

• jrodman says:

It doesn’t strike me as parody, but it’s definitely a knowing reference. Perhaps an homage.

Err, what Optimaximal said — I spent a while lazily splitting my attention while this thread updated in the background.

• Bull0 says:

None of these are new concepts to me, I’m saying I don’t believe that’s what the intent is here. It might just be that it’s a weak/inelegant effort, and because it doesn’t work for me I’m not sold that it was done for the right reasons. The comparisons to well-known works of parody like spaceballs or blue harvest don’t hold up. Those were much clearer and better-executed efforts, it was clear what the intention was. They were also a completely different medium. A better example would probably be to try to call family guy a “simpsons homage” rather than a ripoff. Which is harder to argue ;)

• BluePariah says:

They wont get them on that, they’ll get on the use of the word “droid”. Lucas Arts (Disney) actually owns the copyright on it. Hence, at the bottom of Verizon commercials for their Droid line, you see a disclaimer talking about Lucas Arts — they had to get PERMISSION to use that name. With Disney at the helm things may change (hahahahahahaha) but they are VERY aggressive about it. I once knew a guy in college who started a record label, just some shitty little punk label that had like one release. It was called Dead Droid Records. Somehow, the all-seeing eye found him and he got a C+D from Lucas Arts.

Also remember, Family Guy is put out by Fox who, until recently, had the distribution rights for Star Wars stuff. Plus, the Family Guy stuff was endorsed and approved by Georgie himself. Thus it was NOT a parody, per se, but part of the massive Star Wars marketing plan.

TL:DR: They’ll be making some changes…

• Bull0 says:

I wasn’t referring to the style!

10. Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I’m jonesing for that cat, too.

• Geebs says:

When in space, never ever refer to your cat as “jones”

• Gap Gen says:

Except cats can hear you scream because they have excellent high frequency hearing.

• Geebs says:

“In space, cats can hear you scream. But they won’t care.”

11. Dozer says:

Star Wars – But In Space!

Looks ace.

12. gwathdring says:

Ooooooh. I’m excited. It’s very pretty. Also the music on the site is lovely minimalism.

13. Chaz says:

Around about the 25 second mark they could have done with playing the Buck Rogers end credits music.

14. geldonyetich says:

This stuff looks so early-in-concept that I’m holding my excitement in check until they release something more than a tease.