Rodina’s Release Date Revealed And I Am Relieved

By Craig Pearson on December 4th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Now that X Rebirthhas been exposed as a massive black hole of fun, and following a state mandated period of mourning, I’m back on the hunt for the next good space game. Let’s see… there’s Elite: Dangerous: the first closed beta combat tests that should start this month, which is exciting, but it’s only available to the people who pledged £200 in the Kickstarter/pre-order push. Star Citizen is looking as pretty as ever, though access to the dog-fighting alpha is now looking unlikely to occur this year. Enemy Starfighter will definitely get a big hug from me when I play it, though that’s unlikely to be for months. Ditto for Limit Theory. Rogue System looks like systemic, hardcore space joy, but it also won’t be out for months. Ooh, Rodina! A space exploration and combat game influenced by the likes of Star Fox and The Elder Scrolls. That’s next. And it’s out next week! You’ve saved Christmas!

I’ve kept an eye on Rodina, party because it’s one of the games that tries to do complex things very simply: it will will have a solar system that you can fly around, enabling seamless travel and combat from space down to the planet’s surface. You can design your ship and walk around inside it, seeing how those corridors you clicked into place have shaped this space where you’ll live. It even resembles Notch’s lost game, 0x10c, with a hackable ship’s computer allowing for some heavy customisation.

That important release date: it’s out on December 13th, and while it should ship with plenty of content, developer Brendan Anthony states that this is just the first step.

Is Rodina finished? No- in two senses. First, I haven’t accomplished everything I want to accomplish with it yet. There’s a solid base- a huge solar system with massive procedural planets, complete seamless freedom, fun ship combat and a developed background story. But there’s lots more work to be done before Rodina can deliver an RPG-like experience with interesting characters and emergent gameplay.

Second, Rodina may never be “finished”. My hope is to keep developing it over time, adding features and fulfilling requests. I look to the fans to help its on its journey, whether by buying the game, providing valuable feedback about where you would like to see it go, or by creating mods that extend the game with your own creative vision.

Make it good and I’ll support all of this, sir.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

amateurviking says:

I am still angry with myself for taking an ill-considered leap of faith with X-Rebirth. But ‘ve been looking forward to this for ages. Hopefully it will ease the pain.

2. Inglourious Badger says:

mmm procedural planets and seamless space to atmosphere flight. Excited. The combat in that video does look a bit basic though. I’ll put it in the wait-for-the-WIT category of pre-release hype baskets

• President Weasel says:

I’m with you, mr The Kid.

• DatonKallandor says:

The Combat looks dreadful. And combat happens to be one of those things that these kinds of games have to get right from the start – and this doesn’t look it does.

• Stardreamer says:

It looks…simplistic….but I’m prepared for it to have complexities we’ve not seen yet. I did appreciate the long trails and ships falling under gravity, though. That looked awesome.

My beef with the above video is the sounds. Those laser sounds sting my nerves like angry nerve-stinging mosquitos. Gah!

• Caiman says:

It’s not how it looks that will matter, it’s how it feels. It’s hard to judge from that video, I’ll need to get my hands on it, but if the handling is right and there’s some tactical depth, that will swing it. I’m a little concerned that the ship targeting looks overly sensitive, overshooting the target and back again, which isn’t encouraging, but I’m sure that can be adjusted. Anyway, Craig isn’t afraid to call a spade a spade, or an X-Rebirth a turd, so let’s wait for his thoughts.

3. The Random One says:

I don’t care about space games, but the mention of Star Fox makes me perk up my ears.

• MichaelGC says:

Perform a cask bun!

(My memories of Star Fox are a little hazy…)

4. Stompopolos says:

Rodina is sat comfortably in the wait-and-see basket. Hopefully it’ll be a nice Summer game.

5. Shuck says:

“Now that X Rebirth has been exposed as a massive black hole of fun”
    So it’s such an enormous mass of fun that it has collapsed into an infinitely dense fun singularity from which you can’t (i.e. don’t wish to) escape? I’m really not clear what sentiment that sentence is supposed to be conveying. That sounds like the best game ever, and I thought the game was supposed to be somewhat disappointing. I think the RPS penchant for puns is not working in favor of clarity here.

MajorManiac says:

The sentiment of that sentence is obvious in the context of this – http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/21/wot-i-think-x-rebirth/

But I guess it would have been more clear to put something about flying to close to a black hole and having all the fun sucked out of it.

• Stardreamer says:

The sentiment is only muddied if you mistakenly allow yourself to think of a black hole as something benign and/or optional. View it in the sense of what it is: a supremely destructive force that will crush out of existence anything that falls into it. Even fun.

Describes X-Rebirth very well, going by comments.

MajorManiac says:

I had allot of fun with Star Made – http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/StarMade/

But stopped playing as the scale seems a bit off. ie. copies of ships from other games/fiction must be replicated at about 1:4 scale to be manoeuvrable. It also doesn’t take too long to make a ship capable of easily destroying the pirates without a challenge.

Its still work in progress though, so can’t wait to see where it goes.

7. Sotto Voce says:

Well, Space Engine is not exactly a game, but the guy behind it has been struggling to raise 15.000$ on his site for six weeks now. It is not getting any coverage, anywhere, which is a shame…

FriendlyFire says:

I know it’s not a game and I keep tooting my own horn on this, but why is there so little love for this?

9. hery8us says:

Abby. although Denise`s story is flabbergasting… on wednesday I got themselves a Land Rover Defender from bringing in $9333 this last month an would you believe ten-grand this past month. it’s by-far the most-comfortable job I’ve ever had. I started this 9-months ago and pretty much straight away startad earning over $87… p/h. try here http://goo.gl/f6e95V

10. Heavenfall says:

The game needs a better trailer, just about the only thing that looked ok was the transition from space to surface. And even that looked glitchy, having to fly close to snap the graphics in place. For the rest? Looks like if I had played it for two minutes I would have seen the entire game. Ironically less time than the trailer. A good trailer should hint at depth or story and content, not show the same sequence of events twenty times over.

11. Stardreamer says:

Visually, Rodina reminds me very much of Novagen’s ancient classic, Mercenary III (and Damocles, Mercenary II). Both games were waaay ahead of their time, offering you a complete solar system of planets to fly to, land on and explore. Rodina’s simple colours are very evocative of these classics, which is no bad thing.

• Richard Burton says:

Yes!! Brilliant games sir, I still have my boxed copies and manuals for the Amiga. So.. whatever happened to Paul Woakes?

Chaz says:

Looks like it’d suit a nice retro aesthetic, like a 1950’s Frank Hampson Dan Dare style look. Spaceship away!

13. Phaserlight says:

Don’t forget about Vendetta Online. Vendetta Online is a rare gem.

14. geocrasher says:

I was bummed when 0x10c got shelved but this has potential. I bought it and have played some, and its quite good! I love the seamless transition to planets and asteroids. I made a forum for it, perhaps you’ll check it out. http://rodinaforums.net