Too Humble To Handle: The Humble Jumbo Bundle

By Nathan Grayson on December 4th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Are you tired of sales? Did Black Friday and Cyborg Monday beat your wallet to a penniless pulp? Well, TOO BAD. Games will continue going on sale from now until the end of time, and somewhere in between, you will cast off your mortal coil poor and probably alone. I apologize. That was too much. Sales just get me super amped up about mortality, is all. Anyway, the Humble Jumbo Bundle is composed of six games and tons of DLC. Standouts include Natural Selection 2, Sanctum 2, and Orcs Must Die! 2. Details below.

The full, pay-what-you-want lineup this time around is Natural Selection 2, Sanctum 2, Magicka (and all of its DLC), and – if you beat the average – Orcs Must Die! 2 (plus DLC), Garry’s Mod, and Serious Sam 3: BFE. Also, more games will be added in the coming days, and you’ll immediately nab those as well if you push and shove your exhausted piggy bank until it whines its way past the average. As per usual, there are also charities involved (this time Child’s Play and Watsi), and each game is available on Steam for Windows.

This, obviously, isn’t Humble’s strongest offering ever, but for only a few bucks, I think it’s still a fantastic deal. Natural Selection and Magicka, especially, are absolute treats if you still don’t own them. Alternatively, it is gift-giving season. If you’re looking for stocking stuffers of the digital persuasion, this is probably about as cheap as it’s gonna get. So then, who’s buying?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Malarious says:

The Humble Jumble Bundle? Hundle Jumbo Bundle? Bumble Jumbo Dundle?

Worth buying just from the name.

2. mzlapq says:

Not all of Magicka’s DLC, only two.

• Luringen says:

Owned all the games apart from Orcs must Die and Magicka, just because I thought it said “all DLC” as well. Oh well, it was just 4$.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I was also surprised by that, since I remember Magicka having a metric shit ton of DLC. Getting all of them would be a major bargain, because looking at Steam it says there are 23 DLC’s. That there are only two included is more realistic.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I think only Train Simulator 2014 and Borderlands 2 have more DLC than Magicka.

Normally, I don’t mind DLC too much. I think that, generally, it’s a pretty dodgy sales tactic, but I don’t think it is de-facto a terrible thing. However, Magicka and Borderlands 2 are, IMO, two perfect examples of doing DLC in ways that are both confusing and drastically annoying to the consumer. Both good games in their own right, but their DLC models are a complete mess.

3. Lobotomist says:

Notice: Shadow Warrior for 9.99$ (Is 39.99$) in their humble store

4. Snargelfargen says:

Humble Bundle are allowing games to be gifted if you already own them. Very nice, Magicka, Orcs Must Die and Natural Selection will make good co-op christmas gifts!

• LionsPhil says:

They are? I can’t see that, but admittedly I’m in a bit of a rush.

• mlaskus says:

If you haven’t redeemed the game’s Steam code to your account yet, there should be a small gift wrap symbol to the right side of it.

• LionsPhil says:

Ah, right. Haven’t actually nabbed this one since I already have everything in it (so far) save NS2.

• DuneTiger says:

I thought they changed it so one code redeems all. It was like that, at least, in the last humble I bought.

• Falcon says:

The past few bundles officially allow gifting individual Steam keys via the gift button. That was also the same time they required you to link your Steam account to your Humble account to redeem Steam games. It’s actually quite nice – just click “Redeem on Steam” and it immediately shows up on your games list, no game key to copy/paste or anything like that.

5. LionsPhil says:

I love the chibi G-Mod G-Man. Whoever does the art for these does a good job capturing the characters.

And, wow, that’s quite the line-up.

6. frightlever says:

This article needs a swift correction re: the Magicka DLC.

7. aardvarked says:

Well, that’s one of the least interesting non-mobile bundles I’ve seen for quite some time.

8. OwMyKnee says:

Welly well… not all Magicka DLC… Perhaps the good people at RPS knows what will be included in the next “unlockable by paying above average”-games.

9. captainparty says:

Bah, picked up Natural Selection 2 in the Steam Sale! Bah I say!

10. fish99 says:

OMD2 and SS3, two excellent co-op games.

(Magicka and Sanctum 2 may well be too, but I haven’t played them).

• LionsPhil says:

Magicka’s a ton of fun when it works.

Sanctum 2 would be a ton of fun but for the stupid design decision of persistent unlocks. How much this affects you will depend on if you can always play with the same set of people.

• Warduke says:

Yikes, was thinking about Sanctum 2. I played the first game and enjoyed it but I agree an unlock system is not good for my current playing habits. How does the unlock system work in this one?

• LionsPhil says:

Slowly. I’ve completed the campaign (save the very last level, which is a ridiculous luck-based difficulty spike) and quite a lot of revisiting maps with various XP-boosting difficulty feats on, and I’m still only level 16 of 20 or so, and that levelling curve is an expotential falloff. I think I have most stuff by now, but until you’ve played a heap of maps you’re going to have a pathetic tower and weapon selection. Until you’re about halfway you don’t start getting the perks that make your hand weapons properly effective. It’s truly idiotic.

Oh, and several of the weapons from Sanctum 1 are locked uniquely to one character now, so if you liked rocking the Rex and the sniper rifle, sucks to be you in Sanctum 2. I think that restriction does get lifted eventually…at level 20.

• Warduke says:

Wow, thanks for the feedback Phil. Seems silly that they decided to go that way.

• Vapor_Strike says:

I’m quite a bit late with this reply, but I felt my input might help. I’m not sure how Lions plays the game, which may be completely different, but by the fourth area, I was already level 18, and I had not replayed a single level, nor had I used any xp-bonus options. It may depend on play style, but I haven’t had a single problem with the leveling at all.

11. Kubrick Stare Nun says:

Serious Sam is the only good BTA and it could be bought for cheaper than that not long ago. :\

12. fluffy_thedestroyer says:

These games are worth it…they are good. Not the best but with the price you pay which goes to a charity…I wont whine about it lol

13. DuneTiger says:

Also note that IndieRoyale has a pretty decent selection of twitchy basement indie games available right now. If you’re not a stickler for normal shaders, phospholinear z-bumping, and 64x anticoagulant cosine filtering, you might just find some fun in there.

Aside from that, everyone get Tiny Barbarian DX.

14. pepperfez says:

Don’t mind me, I’ll just be in the corner shouting about when Humble insisted on no DRM and multiplatform compatibility.

• LionsPhil says:

True, although at least none of them are on the Steam-AND-some-other-DRM list of failure. For those for whom Steam is the One Big Exception, it’s OK.

• stupid_mcgee says:

So, you’ll be busy shouting about something that never existed? Will you also be shouting about how a leprechaun took your job and a yeti stole your lover?

I’d love to be proven wrong about this, but every single interview I’ve read and every single statement I’ve read from the Humble Bundle folks has always read that the multi-platform and no-DRM thing was never a set-in-stone principle, nor was the intent to only sell indie games. They viewed it as a great way to get their foot in the door. They would prefer things be that way, but it was never a major principle of theirs. Their main goal has always been to offer good games for reasonable prices and to help raise money for charity while doing so. That is all. Everything else is value statements that others have erroneously labeled them with.

All of this “mulit-platform only” and “no-DRM ever” and “only selling indie titles” stuff is people projecting their own values and making assumptions. Much like when everyone was so shocked (SHOCKED, I tell you!) when they found out about Tiger Woods’ affairs. “But he was such a family man!” people cried. Really? Did Tiger ever go around bragging about how great and faithful of a husband he was? Was one of greatest and most admired qualities how chaste and devoted he was? Or was it just that people saw a successful and clean-cut guy and presumed he was some paragon of everything just and right in the world simply because he was really good at a gentlemanly sport?

If people are hypocrites, fine. Call them out on it. But when people go around misrepresenting other’s goals and ambitions and then faulting them for not holding true to something they never claimed, that’s simply being asinine.

• TeleToko says:

The Humble Indie Bundles as you remember them are the same as they have ever been. They still abide by the same old rules of no drm, multi platform indie releases, and they are released at the same old pace as they always were. They are called Humble Indie Bundle with a number behind them. Absolutely nothing has changed about this whole concept, so there is no need to stand in the corner shouting about the way things were.

The weekly and developers Bundles have come on top of the Humble Indie Bundles, it’s extra. If you so long for the way things were, just stick with the way things were and only look at the Humble Indie Bundles.

I always find it a bit painful to see this same old argument pop up over offers that often give you a bunch of great games for the price of a pint, and where you get to support charity on top.

• Emeraude says:

That’s nice and all, but if the DRM-free was the *only* thing it had to offer for you, then the Humble Bundle getting rid of the policy kinda leaves a sore spot (and yes, it *is* what it did – the fact that it used a bit of obfuscated rebranding while/for doing so I find aggravating if anything).
        I mean, I have no issue buying my games day one full-price. But the DRM thing is driving me (and many people I know) off the market. There are game I wouldn’t have bought and played without the Humble Bundle (Brütal Legend comes to mind), and I’m frankly getting tired of putting hopes in things only to feel (emphasis needed) like they’ve been deceived.

/oldancrankymode

• TeleToko says:

Then just buy the Humble Indie Bundles for your DRM-free multiplatform indie games, and close your eyes on the non Humble Indie Bundles. Again, they never changed their policy on the Humble Indie Bundles, they just added more and different types of bundle offers.

To me it sounds a bit like saying how tv used to be great when there were only two channels because there were no ads, but now that we have hundreds of channels we have to put up with ads. Well you don’t have to, just stick with the same old two channels which are still ad-free. Don’t throw out the tv because there are a some channels you don’t want to watch, watch the ones you like and let other people decide for themselves which channels they like to watch.

15. strangeloup says:

For me, this is a Five Games You’ve Got And One That’s Multiplayer Only So You’ll Probably Play It About Twice Bundle.

Comment on this story