More-o-wind: Skywind Puts Morrowind in Skyrim

By Craig Pearson on December 5th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Skywind is a mod that brings Morrowind into the Skyrim engine. It’s like someone at Bethesda took the Morrowind and Skyrim design documents and riffle shuffled them as a party trick, and then forgot to unshuffle them. Somehow–probably through a montage–those files ended up with modders. A less tired Craig would probably recount that montage, but that show-off wasn’t up late playing Starbound and eating takeaway, so you just get facts and trailers. The last time I reported on Skywind, it was just an empty world. You could run around, but you could not do anything, but more recent updates have begun the task of integrating people, monsters, and quests. Which means it might be worth installing. There’s a wee video to demonstrate some of that work.

It is a rather cheeky trailer, mirroring the original Skyrim trailer as best it can. I have to be honest: it’s been so long since I played Morrowind that the landmarks don’t mean much to me. If anyone with a keen knowledge of the map and world wants to call them out in the comments, you are more than welcome to do so.

The mod is an elaborate series of downloads that you can grab here, and it requires Skyrim and Morrowind Game of the Year (GOTY), or Morrowind plus the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions. A less tired Craig would also be downloading it right now, but as I pointed out, that guy doesn’t have Starbound. I win!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. BadBannana says:

Yay! Now do Oblvion

• Bior37 says:

Ugh, why? Let it be forgotten like it deserves.

• Stevostin says:

I get it that Morrowind is tastier, Daggerfall is crazier, and Skyrim achieve the epciness Oblivion wanted to reach but really, it’s still a pretty fantastic game. Magic is probably the best compromise between good gameplay and tweakability (Skyrim magic really sucks compared to Oblivion). Thieve guild questline was great, Dark Botherhood questline was fantastic and Shievering Isles was a wonderful extension. Also it had working first person riding. It’s still one of the best RPG I’ve played.

• Fattsanta says:

You are completely right, Oblivion was a great game, these guys insulting it are ridiculous.

• Frantics says:

yea I really don’t get this one (along with fallout 3 is a bad game stuff actually haha) – I’ll accept features got cut out that should be re-added and are proper missed, I want all the skills levitating etc. back but oblivion is an amazing adventure and game actually full of weird/cool/mysterious stuff. Great to explore in. one of the most amazing inspiring game worlds I’ve seen, been playing it again recently the graphics still look great! can’t just be me that’s a sucker for that kind of fantasy style either! Morrowinds mushrooms and striders and stuff is missed but it’s all still there in that game. if you like Oblivion might well be worth checking out Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning which has an oblivion designer on board and R.A. Salvatore. Great stuff so far. perfect with a drink and a smoke

looks a cool mod. classic music!! original pc gamer review of morrowind still so wrong and too low. should be 97%.

• TWChristine says:

Of course everyone’s opinions will differ, but I think the issue with Oblivion and Skyrim is that most people who hate them hold Morrowind as the epitome of what an ES game should be. And don’t get me wrong, it IS a great game, and personally I’d be kind of pressed to figure out which one I absolutely like the most. However, I remember before Skyrim was even released, every one seemed to be complaining about how it would be broken on release, they were going to have to mod it before they would enjoy it, etc, and I’ve always wondered just how much of that was really a self-fulfilling prophecy. I’ll be the first to agree that there were bugs, and one of the joys of PC gaming is everyone’s experience is somewhat different (153 hrs and still no game breaking bugs), and yea the UI is clunky; but I just feel that when you go into it with that negative of a mindset you’re kind of setting yourself up for some degree of disaster. Back to the UI, it clearly was designed with consoles first, and maybe some day I’ll get to trying out SkyUI..but within the first day of playing I had already gotten used to it and it ceased being a problem for me.
          Ah well, subjective is as does.

• Triplanetary says:

Or maybe because Bethesda has a clear track record of making lazy, broken, poorly-designed games, and Skyrim turned out (surprise!) to be no exception.

• TWChristine says:

Well that’s kind of what I was trying to get at. I’ve heard of the reputation, and while I don’t think their games are the best ever designed, I also really don’t think (and back again to being subjective) that they’re as awful as everyone says. I often wonder how much of this has to do with something along the lines of cultural cognition or just along the lines of hearing people repeat a line so often that it then becomes fact even if you yourself may not have recognized it on a conscious level.

• cpmartins says:

I counted the seconds until I could play skyrim. You could not have picked a person more excited to be actually experiencing the game than I did.

It as a lazy port, and that is a nice way of putting it. One dude without any knowledge of the game increased the performance for EVERYONE by a minimum of 30%. That’s when i realized bethesda doesn’t give a flying horses’s ass about pc.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Its simple, you see this opinion all the time when it comes to games. People who really loved Morrowind are overly critical of Oblivion because it wasn’t THE EXACT SAME GAME that they loved. IMO Oblivion was way better than Skyrim in most ways.

People have rose tinted glasses when thinking about games. They remember having a great time with an earlier game in the series, for a lot of people this would be during their childhood etc. They get the new game and it falls short of their expectation because ANYTHING would fall short of their expectation, they built it up so much in their own minds. From this they become incapable of objective assessment of the game and it becomes “shit” in their minds.

Oblivion was a fine game and did some groundbreaking things. Its visuals particularly were years ahead of its time (it still looks better than drab, boring grey/brown Skyrim in my opinion). I can understand people not liking it but anyone saying it was bad is heavily biased.

To the OP though, do they really need to do Oblivion in Skyrim? It would look and play exactly the same xD.

• Arglebargle says:

Oblivion had more than its share of issues. It was overhyped and oversold. Just check out those embarrassing Todd Howard videos talking about how awesome the AI was going to be. Yeah….mudcrabs. The level-up problem of areas levelling with you led to a very flat feeling, unimpressive power curve. And eventually to bandits decked out like kings. There were also terrible bugs, like the frozen fire/door opening bug, one that slowed the game to a crawl. It took players and modders months to find out that some counter in the game was related to this. Resetting the number in the counter fixed the problem. Bethesda stonewalled that problem, and never even admitted to it, as far as I know.

Oblivion was a step too far down the console-ui-design path.

It also featured a fairly generic D&D mishmash of a province. Sadly unlike its presentation in the previous lore, which made Cryodil seem pretty interesting. The few good quest lines of the game were products of individual desingers who done good, not the team as a whole.

As the final, personal judgement on the game, Morrowind had been on computers at the house, actively played, for three years. Oblivion was off the computers here in little more than two months. Oblivion also marked the point at which I stopped automatically buying Bethesda games.

And Nehrim still kicks it ass from here to sunday.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I literally had zero experience with these “terrible” bugs you speak of, not saying it was perfect but I came across nothing gamebreaking. I played the game for about 100-150 hours so while I’m maybe not the type of player that wanted it as a game to play on and off for 3 years I experienced it enough to not see these problems over a long amount of play.
            When I got to higher levels I started getting attacked by all manner of nasty new enemies so not sure exactly why that “problem” exists either.
            The UI was dumb as a brick, i’m with you on that. The “generic” point? Now I’m not an Elder Scrolls lore buff or anything but the visuals in Oblivion gave me some of the most memorable locales I’ve ever seen in a video game. The impressive as fuck White-Gold Tower at the top of the list but there were many more. Skyrim was far more generic and bland. Each of the towns in Oblivion were varied and recognisable in contrast.

• Volcanu says:

Hating Oblivion seems to be de rigeur in some circles sadly. Actually, hating Skyrim seems to be a growing ‘trend’ aswell.

As an ES veteran – its true that Morrowind had a more original locale, and more original art design and a more interesting plot. But Oblivion was a superior game. It was genuinely beautiful and breathtaking when it came out, the combat was far improved, the side quests were much, much better (imo better than Skyrim’s – the Dark Brotherhood quest line being a particular standout). And although the main setting was perhaps a little ‘vanilla fantasy world’ I think that was completely addressed by the excellent Shivering Isles expansion….which was orders of magnitude better than BloodMoon for Morrowind or any of the Skyrim DLC.

To each their own I suppose, but calling a game like Oblivion console-ified is something I take issue with. A big, open world sprawling RPG, with that level fo freedom and depth is hardly typical console fodder.

DA2 was ‘console-ified’ if you like, as was Mass Effect 2 (although I maintain it’s very good at what it does). Regardless of whether you like Oblivion and Skyrim, I dont see how anyone can call them shallow, consolified experiences.

• SRTie4k says:

Oblivion was most definitely “console-ified” in comparison to Morrowind. It takes no more than quick look at the UI to determine that. When you have to scroll through a list of 1000 items 7 at a time in your inventory/boxes to find what you’re looking for, as opposed to the much more keyboard/mouse friendly resizable grid inventory of Morrowind, you know the game was catered to a controller first and a keyboard/mouse second.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Not saying that things like UI were perfect (although Skyrim’s was a crapton worse than Oblivion’s). But calling a whole game “consolified” A) Just based on UI, and B) Using it in the wholly negative sense because “consoles are bad M’kay”, is kind of silly. Those consoles were fairly new at the time and Oblivion pushed both console and PC hardware to its limits, creating arguably the most breathtaking (stolen from Volcanu but its the perfect description tbh) video game experience to date.
            I don’t have a problem with people saying they prefer Morrowind, it’s a valid point. Those people saying Oblivion was a bad game though are either Morrowind fanboys or have an extreme case. of gaming hipster going on. Either way they are talking out of their arse.

• Triplanetary says:

Hating Oblivion seems to be de rigeur in some circles sadly.

Ah, the classic “hating it is trendy” “argument.” What actual bearing does this have on people’s complaints and dissatisfactions with the game? Oh, that’s right, absolutely none.

• Bior37 says:

Let me explain all the ways your wrong.

First, Oblivion doesn’t need to be updated for the Skyrim engine, as the two games are incredibly similar gameplay and engine wise already. Mods do the job without it needing to be imported. That’s a waste of time.

Second, Oblivion being viewed as a “fantastic and great game”? Especially compared to Morrowind? Let me count the massive amount of issues.

First, there’s the most obvious. The level scaling. Everything in the game has a massive amount of level scaling. Most monsters won’t appear until you’re the right level to kill them, all dungeons get scaled so you can always defeat them. Loot and shops grow as you grow so that 5 levels in, the bandits living in rag huts outside of town are wielding ancient magical artifacts yet still want to rob you for some reason. It defeats the entire purpose of having RPG elements in the game and makes the world feel fake. YOu can complete the main quest at level 2. It’s sad.

Now the main quest, one of the most plodding and boring main quests in any game I’ve ever played. Compared to the depth and level of religion, misinformation, betrayal and conspiracy in Morrowind especially. You’re not the chosen one. But you ARE the chosen one. You’re the one chosen to be the errand boy of the actual chosen one. You have to stop the God of breaking shit from breaking shit. What are the motivations? He wants to break shit. The emperor is dead, everyone is scrambling for power while the plane gets invaded! Except there’s never actually any danger or civil war, and aside from one scripted sequence, we never see any danger or settlement in danger of the Oblivion gates.

Then we have the dungeons. 1 man was tasked with creating 240 dungeons. It shows. They’re all level scaled and pointed to by the all seeing magical compass. So the loot inside is generic and auto generated, and the difficulty level is the same no matter when you go in. The dungeons themselves are almost all without story, and boring. The guy making them ran out of creative steam somewhere around dungeon 20.

The combat, the main selling point for the game, was never great and hasn’t aged well. Next.

The voice acting combined with the zooming in on potato faces. 8 voice actors for every NPC in the game. Obviously awful. What’s more, due to there being voices, there’s far less lore and information in the game. YOu can’t talk to NPCs about much. They have two lines of nonsensical canned dialogue and then unless they’re an invincible quest NPC, they’ve got nothing else to say.

Then there are the quests themselves. Boring soulless things with the quest compass (that you literally cannot turn off) telling you where to go and what to do all the time. Someone might say “Talk to Kelly”. Where is she? Well the magical compass tells you where, since you can’t ask any NPCs for directions. You have to keep your nose buried in the map and compass instead of the game world. The quests presented no choices, no consequences no branching paths, nothing. It was just follow the quest marker all day, even for the lauded Whodunnit. The only quest line with any decent writing or emotional weight was the Dark Brotherhood, even if they destroyed the lore of what the DB was supposed to be.

The little nothing towns scattered everywhere, only one that had ANYTHING worth seeing was Hackdirt.

And the setting, as generic medieval fantasy as it could be.

Forget. Oblivion.

• taylorm6707 says:

1v1 me irl

• quarpec says:

Hahaha no

• klmx says:

That’s also being done under the name “Skyblivion”

2. Discopanda says:

FAVORITE MEMORIES OF MORROWIND TOPIC GO.

Mine was accidentally wandering into Vivic’s throne room through some sewers, and not being able to do anything but say hi to him since I wasn’t on that part of the story yet.

Second most favorite would be accidentally triggering the main story quest after 120 hours during a routine burglary of Cauius Cossades’ house.

• dethtoll says:

Poking some guy with a dagger 30 times, missing all but once, and then getting slaughtered by a cliff racer who wouldn’t leave me alone and finally caught up with me.

Next favourite memory was uninstalling.

• Antistar says:

I thought this was “Favourite Memories of Morrowind” rather than “Morrowind Jeopardy”, but okay, I’ll have a go at answering:

What are the most common knee-jerk criticisms made by people who don’t like Morrowind?

• Stompopolos says:

“This game in which combat plays a major role has fucking terrible combat” is not a knee-jerk reaction.

• tetracycloide says:

Swinging a dagger 30 times at the start of the game and judging that to be ‘the combat in the game’ is absolutely a knee jerk reaction.

• Antistar says:

Sure it is; and a very common one. In the more than a decade since release, “I hate how early combat involves repeatedly swinging and missing” is almost always the first criticism that comes up every time Morrowind is mentioned anywhere, in whatever context (and this is what I was commenting on there, really). As others here have mentioned, it’s mostly ameliorated by having some basic understanding of the game’s mechanics – I.e. ‘if my character has no stamina and no skill in this weapon, I’m not going to be able to hit anything’.

That doesn’t mean it’s not a valid criticism; I happen to agree. The improvements made to combat mechanics in Bethsoft’s later games were much needed. Entirely dismissing the game based on that though… the saying “throwing the baby out with the bathwater” is made for cases like that.

Ugh.. here I am engaging in this argument all over again. Every time, like I said.

• WrenBoy says:

I had a lot of fun with Morrowind but it didnt hold a candle to Gothic 2 which came out the same year and was way ahead of its time.

• rhubarb says:

The first time I found the Cavern of the Incarnate. That was the only time I have ever felt like I was really discovering something in a game.

• gritz says:

Favorite memory: When it finally dawned on me that this whole Nerevarine business was just a scam Azura was using to get me to settle her old scores, and that the dozens of previous failed Nerevarines were just patsies like me.

• tetracycloide says:

I really loved Morrowind’s take on prophecy. Are you the neravarine? Well you did ask the stuff they were supposed to do so yes, I guess. Unless you didn’t that is…

• Freud says:

Exploring the dwemer ruins, looking for any clue what happened to them.

• malkav11 says:

Walking down a path outside of Seyda Neen and having a screaming man hurtle out of the sky to his death right in front of me, then prove to be carrying the (unique, irreproducible) magic scrolls that led to his demise, ripe for me to try.

There’s so much else good in that game, but that’s still my favorite.

• DodgyG33za says:

I fell for that one as well. Literally.

My favourite moment was discovering that I could counteract the blindness curse on the boots of blinding speed. The thing is I had been wearing them quite a bit before I worked it out – they were just too fast to be ignored.

• Discopanda says:

Oh my god. Did you ever use the boots of blinding speed with the jumping scrolls to jump over the entire island in one hop?

• Danley says:

As a werewolf.

My favorite was coming across a slave owner’s house in the early levels and immediately attempting to off him, only to find out he had invisible bodyguards (illusion enchanted armor) and a paralyzing dagger.

This became my first stop every playthrough.

• ecat says:

The fact I have so many tails I could tell is both sad and glorious.

Meeting a friend in a bar and recounting the tail of the naked nord as if it had happened just an hour earlier on a street corner just up the road.

Returning from an epic adventure with epic loot and ok health, attacking a scrib just outside Balmorma just for fun only to have the scrib’s buddy, a rat, join the fray. Srcib kept me paralysed, rat slowly nibbled my health and all I could do is watch in horror.

Running away in abject terror from my first clan fear.

The desolate beauty of Ald’ruhn

The haunting sound of silt striders signifying home is near.

Levitation, which I initially thought stupid but then fell in love.

I still refer to Morrowind as a stupid game, which it is. It is also the most beautiful, engrossing and memorable gaming experience I have ever had. DUM dum dum. DUM dum dum. La la la la, la la la la, la la la la, la la. (wipes a tear from his cheek)

You’re on your own now. Good luck.

• Volcanu says:

I also spent a lot of the time wandering throught the sky using a wizards staff to levitate. It probably wasn’t good for game design but I do miss beign able to do that inthe later iterations.

The sound of the siltstriders is etched into my brain, such an iconic noise. In fact the whole game had a fantastic low-key, almost mournful aural landscape.There was just something about the quiet in that game punctuated by the call of a siltstrider or the laconic, deadpan voices of the dunmer that really WORKED.

I also found the Dagoth Ur cultisty type things genuinely disturbing (at the time).

• mercerthechimp says:

I am what some people may refer to as a lurker, I have strong opinions on the games I love but a general lethargy when it comes to input, especially on forums. However, your comment inspired me to log in to the forums (for which I had to use the password recovery system) simply to agree with you; the sound of the Silt Striders. Harowing.

My (next) earliest and least forgettable memory was finding a corpse with a pair of boots with an almighty jumping enchantment which caused me to (at LVL 2 tops) jump half way across the map, whilst thinking ‘woah this is crazy’ before dying instantly upon impact. The Boots of Jumping Jack? I can’t remember the name but I do remember laughing for several minutes afterwards… before realising that I hadn’t saved since getting out of custody.

Then on the next load wandering into off the beaten track and into a cave with some hellish LVL 1.5 baddie that mercilessly beat through my (cardboard?) shield and ignored my attempts to hack him down with my iron (or paper?) sword.

However; even after the second death I before reaching the first objective of the main quest, I couldn’t wait to restart!

NB Just in the hope of causing further arguments: Morrowind was groundbreaking, Oblivion improved upon it in countless ways. It lost some of the intricacies but overall the improvements from Arena to Daggerfell to Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim have been positive.

And the community making mods such as SkyUI negates all of the arguments citing ‘consoleification’ of the series – I was mortified when I couldn’t create my own staffs / arrows / spells. So I went to Skyrim nexus and ‘got a mod for that’ as Apple would like me to say.

Now the Steam Workshop not only allows you to fix any of these perceived sleights but write your own mods if you want something else… So, as far as I see it, if you’re unhappy, Bethesda have given you the tools to fix it – so instead of whining – STFU and write something better!

However I will concede that the vanilla Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines in Skyrim were a shadow of their counterparts in Obivion.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

Crassius Curio. :D

• Master Realtor Marklew says:

Ahh, Morrowind…

- Running for dear life from Seyda Neen to the fort near Balmora on the beginning of the game, hounded all the way by cliffracers that got slaughtered by the leggionaires.

- Using the Scrolls of Icarian Flight to invade Tel Fyr

- Falsifying a prophecy that had about 5 different competing versions

- Deciding to check “What’s inside this red-lit cavern full of candles?” when I had just a Steel saber

- Being told by Ordinators that they were watching me, scum that I was, on my first visit to Vivec

- Getting the Comfy Pillow from the Crazy Pillow Lady!

- Travelling on a Silt Strider operated by it’s “exposed organs and tissues” by the caravaneer

Anyway, I loved that setting more than any other TES before or since, the later ones felt a bit like generic fantasy (Oblivion) or banalised their proposed main feature (dragons of Skyrim)

3. db1331 says:

That was seriously impressive. That bit where he shoots the mage light staff in the cave, I think that was the slaver cave near the silt strider in Seyda Neen, at the start of Morrowind. It looked familiar, because the mage standing by the pool down there has killed me many, many times.

4. Chaz says:

It doesn’t quite explain why you need Morrowind installed. Presumably it’s grabbing some of the assets from it, but it’s not mentioned in the instructions for the install process.

I mean I have got the Morrowind GOTY but I’m just curious as to why, if it’s using the Skyrim engine, that you would need to have the original Morrowind installed.

• MaXimillion says:

Sound files?

• C0llic says:

If they are using original assets from Morrowind, packaging them in the mod would mean a very short-lived mod.

• Silent_Thunder says:

Because otherwise they’d be slapped with a cease and desist faster than someone trying to make a PC Warhammer 40k boardgame.

• Cheradenine says:

I think it is to use the .esm files. These files contain all information about quests, terrains, buildings, items, npc, etc. Everything except the assets (sound, textures, models).

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yep they do this otherwise Morrowind (which is selling for £13 on Steam still) would be obsolete once this mod got to a decent stage. Bethesda wouldn’t be happy with this and the mod would be gone. Requiring both games for the mod means they can use any assets they need and not piss Bethesda off (Bethesda probably want this mod to be amazing because it would lead to more people buying Morrowing ironically).

5. SominiTheCommenter says:

Or you could play OpenMW.

• frightlever says:

Can you play OW yet? Last I saw it was still far from a release candidate.

For that matter how complete is Skywind?

• povu says:

It still has a long way to go but it’s definitely the most exciting project for Morrowind today.

6. alsoran says:

Wonderfully done. I want to see it completed.

7. Morte66 says:

Can you fly in it?

8. Petethegoat says:

So it’s Morrowind without a good dialogue system?

Edit: in retrospect, this is a bit mean. But damn voice acting to hell for ruining conversations. :(

• Turkey says:

I don’t think you can describe Encarta 95 as a dialogue system.

• Petethegoat says:

I respectfully disagree. But either way, at least it meant you could read more than a single line at once.

• Shodex says:

And I respectively think you need to revisit Morrowind. You actually think the copy-pasted generic informational paragraphs were better than Skyrim (or even Oblivion’s) dialogue system? Yeah, it’s one line at a time. But isn’t that more natural? People don’t respond with informational brochures when you ask them how they’re day is going.

NPCs shared dialogue, all of it. i could make all the points here, but this video addresses it perfectly and I’d just be quoting. http://youtu.be/LEI4yS7sFEw?t=17m1s watch from the linked point (17 minutes) on and it discusses how silly the idea of Morrowind having better dialogue really is.

I love Morrowind, it’s my favourite Elder Scrolls. But damn, people need to take off those silly looking glasses, you aren’t John Lennon.

• Petethegoat says:

I wouldn’t personally say that Oblivion/Skyrim dialogue is natural, but I suppose that’s a matter of opinion. I prefer the more abstracted conversations in Morrowind for actually providing interesting information about the world.

The point in the video doesn’t really address mods. Having voice acting be the default standard, ala Skyrim, makes it magnitudes more difficult to produce new dialogue. Mods like the Less Generic NPCs Project or Django’s Dialogue alleviate the problems with repetitive dialogue, and as far as I know (and I admit I don’t know a great deal of Skyrim mods) there aren’t any equivalents for Skyrim that match up to the quality of the base game.
            In any case, that’s a content production problem, not an issue with the dialogue system.
            He does make a good point that Morrowind’s dialogue often was worded oddly to incorporation links to other topics, which is a fair point, but I’m not saying the conversations in Morrowind are perfect, just that I vastly, vastly prefer their abstractions to conversation in either Oblivion or Skyrim (or either of the modern Fallouts).

• HadToLogin says:

Don’t worry, I hate Morrowind with passion after I spend hours preparing mods to play it only to learn even a stinking beggar is walking wikipedia – which is more natural than “A coin, a drink?” said by usual beggars (real life, too).

• vecordae says:

I’d like to think of it as Morrowind without the convoluted leveling system, broken encounter power level generation tables, and unending horde of constantly-spawning cliff racers.

But, sure, we can also assume a bunch of folks got together and recorded voice-over dialogue for the game’s numerous unspoken conversation and that Morrowind’s “pick a subject to talk about” dialogue system is somehow impossible to recreate in Skyrim’s “pick a subject to talk about” dialogue system.

NOTE: They’d LIKE to record all that extra dialogue as voice overs, but they have not done so.

• Petethegoat says:

The issues you mention can be fixed with mods pretty swiftly.

And my issue isn’t with voice acting, that can be skipped and probably isn’t even in this, as you say.
        My issue is that when Bethesda added VO, they also made it necessary to click through conversations one line at a time. If there’s a mod that fixes this in Skyrim then I’ll concede that Skyrim needn’t be entirely ruined for me.

• vecordae says:

I am unaware of any mods where someone went through all of the game’s dialogue to remove the breaks between every few sentences, eliminated or merged most of the VO sound files, and modified the font to accommodate paragraphs of inconsistently-written text. I assume that this is because this is a lot of work to fix something that seems to bother relatively few people.

On the other hand, the first “problem” with Skyrim that the modding community addressed was that the characters still had underpants when you took off their clothes, so perhaps their priorities are a bit muddled.

I am sorry you cannot enjoy Skyrim due to having to do additional clicks to rush through the talky bits. I can relate, being accustomed to reading far, far more quickly than most people talk. It is an unfortunate truth that, the more particular one’s tastes become, the fewer the otherwise enjoyable things one will find palatable. Still, if it’s that vital to you, I suppose you could always engage on such a project yourself. I’m certain at least one or two other people out there would appreciate it.

• Petethegoat says:

That would be nice. I’m aware it sounds a bit silly to dislike Skyrim because of the dialogue, but it’s not just that, of course. That’s just the problem that offends me most.
            In truth the bigger problem (for me!) is probably the rising production values in general. I really enjoy Morrowind and Half-Life because now they’re a few years old I can basically create most sorts of content for them, to a level where it about fits in with the original work.
            Part of that comes down to general scale too, of course. One of the nice things about Morrowind’s dialogue really does lie in the sharing of dialogue between characters. You basically can set up a big table where you can specify under what conditions a character will have certain dialogue. This does mean some characters will have the same lines, but it ultimately allows for a lot more variety (given time and effort, which modern studios should not lack).
            This may still be true of Skyrim, but the voice acting complicates it for anyone aiming for the quality of the base game. It’s no longer enough to just be a dedicated writer with time on your hands.

So that’s the argument against voice acting, and the argument for topic style dialogue is that it’s less tedious to consume than the line-by-line style.
            Forgive me if I’ve repeated myself or overlooked any points, but I really don’t think my arguments are unreasonable. Irrelevant to most people, perhaps. But there’s no rose tinted myopia here.

• Shodex says:

I’m going to give you a hint, the reason they added voice overs is not to limit your ability to skip text. It’s so that you can listen to it. There’s no lengthy pause when NPCs are reading through normally.

Unless you’re such a busy guy that you just can’t take the extra few seconds to hear them out, and have to skip through rapidly. Of course if you are a busy guy, maybe you shouldn’t be playing Elder Scrolls games.

• twaitsfan says:

Wow – the Morrowind dialog system? I thought it was pretty much universally agreed that it was the biggest weakness of the game… Having every single NPC having walls of difficult-to-read, fill-in-the-blanks text clearly seemed like a place where they cut understandable corners.

Can’t you just turnoff the voices in Obl and Skyrim?

• Petethegoat says:

My issue isn’t with the VO so much as how tedious it makes reading conversations. See above.

9. amateurviking says:

You N’Wah!

• twaitsfan says:

Rarely do I write ‘lol’.

Even more rarely do write it after actually doing it.

lol

10. kevinspell says:

The question is, can I still “finish” the main quest in under 60 min? Because I can still remember how to do it. :)

11. Andy_Panthro says:

Alternatively, you could play a prettier version of Morrowind by installing Morrowind Overhaul: http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

• RobinOttens says:

Is what I was thinking while watching the trailer.

But still, it’s neat that these guys were finally able to release something. I remember when this was announced as an Oblivion mod (or did an Oblivion version of this come out while I wasn’t looking?).

• derbefrier says:

I have not seen that. It is very impressive

• Stevostin says:

TBH the skyrim mod looks a ton better.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’ll be picking the one that has an easier install. Morrowind Overhaul is a gigantic pain in the ass to get running properly.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I like Skyrim a lot and in theory I would enjoy seeing Morrowind updated to that engine, but Bethesda still stripped away a lot of gameplay elements that made Morrowind special along the way and unless the mod also added those back in in a seamless and 100% functional way, I feel like you’re going to get a better experience by just modding Morrowind. Which looks really really good with mods.

But hey, at least it’s not Morroblivion, which suffers from Oblivion’s weird shininess and unnaturally rounded heads so as to look notably worse than an upgraded Morrowind.

• TWChristine says:

I was actually going to mention something along those lines. Funny enough I’ve been doing a ton of Skyrim modding of late and came across this just the other day. From what I remember reading, it mentioned that as far as “system” goes, they’re using the Skyrim aspects of it. So I guess then it depends on how you feel about Skyrim vs Morrowind. If you thought the former was a step back (as most seem to) but you still want fancy looking Morrowind, then Overhaul might be your best bet. If you’re fine with the skill setup, et al of Skyrim then this might end up being a better option.

(Disclaimer: I could have also completely misunderstood what I read, which kind of negates me writing all that when a simple, “I saw something regarding this on the FAQ!” would suffice, but oh well!:) )

• malkav11 says:

I really like what Skyrim does with perks and such (less their particular implementation than the fact that they focus on this so getting better isn’t just a matter of making numbers go up), and it has a number of other improvements, certainly. I just wish they hadn’t dropped so much else that’s worthwhile along the way. But Skyrim is Skyrim and I enjoy it quite a lot as itself (with a contingent of mods, sure, but that’s just me tweaking stuff to suit myself, prettifying and adding content. I don’t count much of it as really necessary, unlike with Oblivion.) It’s when you try to recreate Morrowind in it that I go “hang on, too much has changed to get the proper Morrowind experience in Skyrim and since you can make Morrowind stunningly beautiful, why bother?”

People will kvetch about the combat, but I’ll share a little secret with those people: combat is bad in all five Elder Scrolls games. It’s almost 100% a one note clickfest with occasional fumbling in inventory for potions or scrolls or whatnot. The interface for it is clunky, there are minimal tactics, and it’s never particularly visceral or exciting. Do Oblivion and Skyrim improve on Morrowind’s combat? Sure, it’s a little pacier, you don’t ever miss when it looks like you hit, and there’s physics, fancier graphics, and in Skyrim dual-hand casting and such. But that’s mostly cosmetic. The core combat design remains poor. And if you really want a game that’s about exciting nuanced fantasy combat, you don’t want the Elder Scrolls games at all. You might try Dark Souls (and its predecessor if you have a PS3), maybe Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Blade of Darkness, Dishonored (to an extent, but better than Elder Scrolls, certainly), the Zeno Clash games, etc. The Elder Scrolls games are about exploration first and foremost, interacting with a huge fantasy world full of cool nooks and crannies, and digging into the lore. Combat is punctuation, not purpose.

• Danley says:

I don’t disagree, but I’m in my longest playthrough of Skyrim yet (level 27) as a stealth heavy bowwoman (I did a random start mod and agreed to role play it). Using melee only sparingly might be why I’m enjoying it so much this time, but that would indicate not everything about combat can be thrown in the same shoebox. Being able to get back at someone by ducking into cover and sticking an arrow in them with a paralysis enchanted bow is the cream. I’m also playing with that realistic duel combat mod, though, which makes combat much more tactical (constant staggers, using the environment for crowd control, leaving Marcurio (a mage follower) waiting around a corner or creating a distraction so I can get back stabs in).

So maybe this isn’t a relevant retort and I just wanted to recommend the duel combat mod, and getting a paralysis enchanted bow.

12. Skeletor68 says:

Can I kickstarter these dudes to finish it?

My favourite Morrowind moment was finding the underground burial ship near Dagon Fel. Accidentally found that super sweet Daedric helmet. Blew my f’n mind.

• Seschwa says:

I still regard morrowind as the best RPG ever made. And I think of Skyrim as one of the best CRPG’s ever. Not too long ago I was trying to explain how friggin’ awesome it’d be if Morrowind were ported to Skyrim’s engine.. and now THIS pops up! +1 on Kickstarter potential, I’d throw down a good $50 if the dev team could put 100% into it and bring my dreams to reality.

Oh god.. MW’s content.. Skyrim’s combat.. I think I need new boxers guys.

13. Shodex says:

I’d love to be excited, but as it said in the trailer. This is from the Morroblivion team. Which was never finished, to my knowledge. In fact according to their site they seem to be developing both now.

Morrowind is my personal favorite Elder Scrolls game (Though people are amazingly blind to how poorly made it was in so many areas. I mean, really, you’re defending it’s dialogue system?) and I’d love to see it done on a modern engine. I’d pay Beth to remake it, hell I’d pay these guys too. But I doubt this will ever be a completed project.

Thankfully Morrowind mods exist (for now, old mod sites are dropping like flies and not everything is on the Nexus)

14. Geebs says:

That looks brilliant and yes, the locations are all accurate. Given Skyrim’s engine’s relative modernity, it should also run better than those Morrowind + foliage mods which are a total stutter-fest because far too much stuff has been Frankensteined to a really ancient engine.

I agree with some of the doubters though, I’m not going to bother to download 2 gigs worth of mod until it’s more complete.

OpenMW looks like it has potential but it has a very long way to go and the dev team seem pretty depressed about their rate of progress.

15. Everyone says:

Well … nah. Lemme know when they’ve put Daggerfall into the Skyrim engine.

• Werthead says:

I’m going to hazard a guess that the GameBryo/Creation Engine can’t handle a 225,000-square km gameworld. It seems to have enough problems with the existing 16-square km ones of SKYRIM and OBLIVION.

16. StartRunning says:

Wow, that music in that clip… And recognizing Seyda Neen was kinda awesome.

• fish99 says:

That version doesn’t quite do it for me. The original Jeremy Soule piece though is amazing-

17. floher says:

Man, that music…. goosebumps are avalanching over my body right now…

18. Stevostin says:

Insante amount of work. Wanna play this when it’s completed :P

19. Koinzellgaming says:

The funny thing is. That this is completely unnecessary. Because there’s already a graphics mod for morrowind out, and it looks as good or even BETTER than this.

Everyone who thinks that the RNG nature of the combat is a turnoff didn’t notice that holding down the attack, having full stamina, and attacking at the correct times would significantly raise your chances of hitting.
    At higher levels the game turns into an action game where almost every hit will actually hit (EXCEPT for 1 certain bastard in the tribunal expansion. He has 700 luck and hitting him with his ebony armor is neigh impossible. Magic also doesn’t work. No idea why they put him in, especially because you will fight him no matter how you talk to him before he turns into an enemy. You can give him 1 million gold he still attacks you. It took me 30 minutes of clicking and drinking to beat that guy.), and you’ll need to start using correct attacks (Chop, thrust, slash.) to maximize your weapons capability.
    And honestly. Morrowind had MORE freedom than skyrim will ever have. You could make your own spells (There were a lot of awesome ”bugs” that could be exploited by making certain mixtures of spells.), you could fly, you could level up your character any way you want, though certain builds just flat out didn’t work (For example taking a squishy mage, who takes 200%~ more damage from all spells was the stupidest thing I ever did. Most mages instant killed me.). If you knew how to play the game you could pretty much skip straight into glass gear if you knew how to do it.
    But honestly. I have to say that the thing that skyrim failed at the hardest, and that morrowind excelled in was. The world and atmosphere. The world was HUGE, but it was also completely full of things. While you ride around from objective to objective in Skyrim. But if you walk from one city to another you might run into 3-4 tombs/caves, run into a guy who’s friendly with you at the start of the conversation and starts attacking you if you pry too far, and you also might run into a naked barbarian who got his ass kicked by a mage and stolen blind (You have the choice to help the barbarian out to get his weapon back, or not give him his stuff back because he doesn’t deserve the valuable stuff he had.). The fantasy wasn’t a cold ”dark” viking thing. But rather it was pretty bright with beautiful starry skies at the night. Although i didn’t like those ash storms. So depressing having to go through an ash storm and seeing nothing clearly. I usually just rested through that.

I recommend you try the original Morrowind with the graphics mod, not this one. The skyrim engine doesn’t really have anything good to it imho.

• Ninvus says:

that is a completly ignorance comment

let me show you why. skyrim no atmosphere? just because you do not run into 100 castles from point 1 to b does not mean it has no world atmosphere. each elder scrolls game is different it is different in the way of the game is shaped by 1 element… the location of the game.. oblivion was mystical… but morrowind was pure whimsy and wonder. skyrim is cold harsh and far aprat from its self. as that type of climate and culture would realisticly be like. we get it you love morrowind far better. good for you. but elder scrolls is about each person’s differeing tastes. some love skyrim better than morrowind and after playing morrowind i can see why and vicersa
      skyrim has no freedom? you must not of played very much or you just had super high expectations of what you wanted skyrim to be.. a copy of morrowind with better graphics. well it is not. it is good you like the classics but do not blindly comment saying it is better because of points that skyrim has alot of the same as morrowind just a different culture style.. morrowind is more of a magic and whimsy style to it. while skyrim is straight forward and harsh and empty. like viking culture was.

my advice to you and other ignorant fanboys out there. go do research and actually read up on something before you stupidly spout it out. nothing makes you look idiotic than randomy uninformed hate

20. lowprices says:

I recognised the grey bit. And the bit with the mushrooms. And the grey bit with the mushrooms.

Ah Morrowind. So grey. Such mushrooms.

21. Ham Solo says:

Morrowind was fun, but after some time the dice rolls just got to me and i gave up. Maybe this will be something for me.

22. TWChristine says:

Skyrena next!

• Darth Gangrel says:

I saw someone (actually Everyone, heh) wanting a Daggerfall in Skyrim project, but I guess making up a good name for it (Skyggerfall? DaggerSky?) would be the least of their troubles.

23. lautalocos says:

never played morrowind. couldnt get over that combat system. it was like deus ex ha a child with baldurs gate, and morrowind came out of it. it was in a really weird spot. it would have been better being either more action, or completely RPG.

and i could actually have an use for skyrim. cant get over the fact of being a completely unbalanced RPG, incredibly bugged (i couldn´t complete the main quest because some dude couldn´t open a door, bugs in the main quest are, in my book, unforgivable), and the story was bad. also, if you had a choice in some quest (something that happened once in 100 quests) then the consequences of that where´t important for me, because the character i spoke with had the personality of a paper sheet

24. Shadowcat says:

We’re going to need a montage! Ooh, it takes a montage!

25. dorn7 says:

I find this a bit odd. The things which actually make Morrowind superior can’t really be moded into Skyrim. The far superior enchantment system, flying, jumping, stats, weapon types, skills, etc etc. Most of that can’t be added with mods.

• Ninvus says:

actually they can.
      enchanting awakend
      dragonborn dlc for flying on a dragon
      reqrium (misspelled) for better RPG elements and jumping
      the 30+ weapon packs that are so realistic it makes the normal skyrim weapons look poorly modded
      perky simply put a ton of skills.
      midas magic and midas magic reborn
      magic duels reborn
      forgotten magic redone
      list goes on and on. one google search for a mod is not enough to say cant be done. use this website for the best skyrima dn oblivion mods
      http://www.tesnexus.com you are welcome

26. HardDominator says:

Mother of god. As tears of joy run down my face I thank you modders for making this possible.

27. Inzimus says:

instead of going on a rant, I’ll just present you this:

make of it what you will

28. kdz says:

I remember trying very hard to love Morrowind about a year or two after it came out and bouncing off of it a couple of times. I was 10, mind you. I’ve been meaning to get back to it but for some ungodly reason it’s still 20 euros on Steam ._. Hopefully there’s a price drop during the Winter sale.

I always loved listening to the stories my friend – who would play this game again and again every summer – would tell me and reading aobut it on the forums.

29. Ninvus says:

Warning my english is not good so bare with it please!!!

see what skyrim/oblivion/and other elder game fanboys and normal fans always love to forget the very thing the creator of the elders crolls said “each game will appeal to different fans” not word from word but the much much shorter verson. skyrim generic? yes all elder scrolls games generic? also yes. elderscrolls in general is generic story wise. they are the poor mans good bioware single player games. with that said i hold this saying about opinions on the internet very close to my heart… “opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they all stink.”
    oblivion was campy and colorful because the location the game takes place in was mostly forest green bright colored forests, the words that fit oblivion perfectly are mytic and whimsical. because of these colors and the elements of the oblivion gates created a since of almost anime style of epicness in some way.. unlike anime’s skyrim how ever is ment to be grey/brown and deviods of color other than white and some green. it is not ment to be like oblivion with its bright whimsy colors. it is ment to be colds harsh and unforgiving. i doubt any of you have ever been to russia in the dead of winter, or mount everest, i have and i can tell you skyrim hit the mark right on the dot with the snow waste land. everything looks the same? well yes skyrim only has tree’s and mud and some stone for the rich. never played daggerfall or morrowing but from what i can gather dagger fall was crazy and in your face and very very large. in fact larger than oblivion and skyrim put togeather.

The Bugs- this issue is like star trek nemesis before you go switch to porno instead of reading this just bare with me. the bugs are a nature vs nurture effect. what this means is some will have it and some dont. to better sum it up. in that star trek movie the main character was ment with a clone of him who was put into slavery on a minning world and later rose up and killed them all and now is a villain while the hero is a hero. and while the movie was bad it did those parts of nature vs nurture very well. you had alot of bugs in an elder scrolls game? ok good for you stick it out or play them again now they are fixed to high heaven. never had game breaking bugs? ok good for you do not blindly fan boy something. to be a true fan you need to be able to bash the very thing you love. like me the game star wars galaxies was my child hood game for 8-9 years i played from day 1 till close. i can type an essay hating it and loving it at the same time. a true fan will point out its flaws and wont care and just love its lameness. oblivion was fun but lacked the epicness skyrim has, story wise skyrim is the better game. skyrim lacked choice. and by that i mean mostly with the classes and signs in oblivion character creation, oblivion gave you more choices and both pros and cons of picking a race or class. unlike skyrim. but now i think of the elder scrolls games like an Iphone. need something? “well there is an app for that” but replace app with mod. skyrims visuals are far better than oblivion. skyrims magic system sucks. skyrim’s quests are better, oblivions cities felt more like a city and not a small town with a wall. to say one elder scrolls game is better than the other is purely stupid and not needed because the creator made each game different in style. and if you believe the hype in a game and over sell it. then you are not a fan of a game series. just look at the next paragraph

fanboying and why it is the number one cause for cancer- being a fan of a game is great. but blindly defending it like us white people trying to defend a group of people we know nothing about. it is stupid and makes you look ignorant. what do you mena by fanboying? well go download star wars knights of the old republic 1, then sit in the coner for 2 weeks trying to settle down from the epicness of the game and story, then download kotor 2 the sith lords then download the restored content mod for it. then take 5 days to recharge. then start downloading swtor the MMO then wait 4 days for it to finally download. make a character then set a timer on your pc to see how fast you start to feel raped by swtor and no matter how many hot showers you take will never be enough to feel clean again untill you hit age 21 and can drink the memories away. swtor is that bad. but like every multiplayer game half of what makes it good or bad is the player base… 50% of swtor is utter shit due to the player base. think all the socal rejects wow shat out. yeah you know those type of trolls the ones that do not know how to do it well or how to stop. pile them into a game that its owners care very little about punishment. allow them to troll anyone and everyone. about 90% of the player base is trolls. then 5-8% that is left are the die hard fanboys. these guys will kill your family and rape your dog if you point a flaw out in this game. and then you have the ones who say ” well it is the only star wars mmo out”. and the other 50% is EA/Bioware being extreamly lazy and glitchy. and took them 2 years to fix 5% of their bugs.
    the point of that rant is to poorly show you why fanboying is bad. and while we love certain elder scrolls games, we must learn to know its flaws even if you dont want to or not. ignoring them does not mean they do not exist. here is a pro’s and cons list for oblivion and skyrim

skyrim pro’s:
    - great story
    - better factions
    - a realistic approach to racism of that type of time period
    - fits the landscape/weather of the climate perfectly.
    - armor designs that are what you would expect from the armors of oblivion
    - better deadric lords quests, not all are started at their shrines. most you stumble onto them, or hidden in a misc quest
    -great graphics ( yes that does help)
    - better mods
    - organic caves and dungeons. that are not always the same like oblivion
    - realistic crime ( unlike oblivion i kill a guy in bruma and fast travel to the lowest city and get arrested instantly)
    - closer player used necromancy than oblivion
    - better looking races Breton and nords no longer look dead pan the same

skyrim’s cons:
    - magic system
    - cities
    - DLC’s ( fact dawnguard and dragonborn were ment to be realised with the game at start but was cut out and made into DLC to make time for production of the elder scrolls MMO, was confirmed shivering isles DLC was ment for skyrim but replaced it with the solitude side quest for his staff thingy)’
    - hearthfire. like really there is 4 mods out that did it better. this was a lame ploy to have kids without employing sex into the game.
    - (this is a very personal annoyince for me) no reward for killing the 1st born child of a god (alduin) other than a dinky shout. in oblivion you got a cool imperial armor set
    - no reference of your character in oblivion.. and before you say “that would ruin roleplay” i rebuttle that with call your character hero of kavatch. and never refur to them as he or she just they or the hero
    - missing some npcs in oblivon.. the wraith and goblins.. and dragonborn verson of them do not count.
    - uses too many conveinet moments ( example: “hmm that executioner is taking a very long time to get to the point of cutting my head off… oh look a dragon!” so happens the thalmort did not find esbern before you did, so happens to have that one elder scroll be in black reach and not in the imperial city like it would of been, or you so happen to have the only 2 blades left both be in skyrim. etc…)

Oblivion pros:
    -magic system
    -leveling system (class/race)
    -more likeable characters
    -better DLC’s … well to be honest knights of the nine and shivering isles. the rest are cop outs
    - cities
    - able to create your own spells
    - less bugs
    - better dark brother hood quest and thieves guild quest
    - cooler named items

oblivion cons:

- crime
    - mage guilds and fighters guild quests ( compainions replaced them)
    - dungeon and cave lay outs look cookie cutter
    - story ( all quests not just main)
    - being a vampire randomly was annoying… finding the cure while more realistically harder to find. but almost impossible to get to it without dieing in the sun
    - mods ( unless you love anime then disreguard this point) mostly anime style or themed mods for oblivion. i am not a fan but you are free to be one
    - unrealistic racism.. it is basicly not there. you every once in a while get a nord to say something kinda racist… tho they look almost the same as bretons
    -uses way too many convenient moments ( example: “oh look the emperors needs to go through my cell to escape and i can escape too.. yay, you so happen to get to the priory in time before that grandmaster dude dies, you so happen to get to the temple of the gods just in the nick of time to stop dagon.etc…)

that is my opinions you are free to agree of disagree. that is what makes the internet so great! i cant beat you up for not agreeing with me! ( lol j/k)