Vaaaalvelanche: Valve Greenlights Another 100 Games

By Nathan Grayson on December 5th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

One by one, I will cleverly use perspective to squish all of your heads with my fingers. MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

After a potentially disastrous misjudgment last time around, the Greenlight train appears to be largely back on track. And by that, I mean it’s knocked out another 100-strong batch in a single go, some parts of which are even vaguely recognizable. I’m especially glad to see The Stomping Land, Krautscape, Paper Sorcerer, Stasis, Driftmoon, and The Girl and the Robot get Valve’s lambda-shaped stamp of approval. Also, the greatest news of all: War of the Human Tanks finally passed muster. Can War of the Too Human Tanks be far off?

Here’s the full list, per Valve’s announcement:

GREENLIGHT ALL THE GAMES. Some of which, unfortunately, will probably turn out to be complete shovelware. But hey, some gems are getting mined from the coal-stained masses. Slowly but surely. Do any catch your eye?

, , .

1. Infinitron says:

After a potentially disastrous misjudgment last time around

“Potentially disastrous”? Come on.

That said, it might be repeating itself now with Deathfire. That Kickstarter isn’t looking so good.

2. Kubrick Stare Nun says:

Here hoping that Super BR Jam buyers will recieve an Out There Somewhere steam key.

3. wilynumber13 says:

Amazingly, Towerclimb managed to get greenlit, despite already being greenlit in an earlier batch of games!

4. Ich Will says:

Dear Red Baron,

Please be good,

Lots of Love,

Flight Sim Fans.

5. Dom_01 says:

Still no Drox Operative? For shame!

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Clearly what it needs are anthropomorphised vehicles and weaponry.

• Premium User Badge Anthile says:

It cannot be anything but a conspiracy at this point.

• Reginald XVII Archduke of Butts says:

It’s getting pretty ridiculous. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride with that game.

6. CobraLad says:

Oh fuck you all and Drox operative too fuck everything.
    Edit; i didnt mean to offend person above me, i meant to offend nihilistic society.

7. Gassalasca says:

Greenlight Crimson Earth!

8. communisthamster says:

Can you do another post on Scraps? The KS is slowing down and it might be an edge case.

9. Premium User Badge bear912 says:

Finally, Wyv and Keep gets lit!

10. Wther says:

I bought Paper Sorcerer last week and it’s really rather splendid. Glad to see it greenlit; it certainly deserves a larger audience.

11. pkt-zer0 says:

Aces Wild still isn’t there. I mean, why would it be? It’s finished, has a demo, and is easily one of the best 2D brawler games in existence – who needs that on Steam?

I guess we got Mitsurugi, which isn’t bad itself. Not as good as Aces Wild, but still.

• Tim James says:

Baby steps. Now that One Finger Death Punch was approved, Greenlight is no longer an embarrassing blight on the PC gaming community. Now we need to get Aces Wild up there (and Drox Operative I suppose, which is just plain silly).

I’d be interested to hear whether Mitsuguri is worth playing. I’m about done with beat ‘em ups for a while so it needs to be really good.

• pkt-zer0 says:

It has some interesting mechanics, but seemed a bit grindy (you unlock skills, then replay the game on harder difficulties) and somewhat repetitive. Gameplay-wise, not as good as Aces Wild, like I said. It does have big-breasted short-skirted anime ladies, though. If that’s not a primary factor for you, I would not consider it “really good”.

12. Eskatos says:

I never thought I’d say this, but it feels like Valve is letting too many games onto Steam. There should be more quality control, IMO.

13. yazman says:

Look at all this crap. What the hell, Valve? I wish they would go back to having better quality control.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

That was the old system, that got Valve a lot of flak.
      They can’t win.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Steam’s problem is that it’s stuck in an awful halfway point. Not particularly well curated, but not open to all either.

The solution: open it up, but have a fantastic curated storefront and good discovery tools. Everyone’s happy. Indeed, user reviews may be a step towards this.

• mouton says:

Aaand you judge it is crap basing on what? Because you haven’t heard about it before? Because you haven’t seen it on an ad banner? Because there was no budget-inflating hype?

• The Random One says:

Yes, I wish Valve would only sell quality games like The War Z and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

14. Shazbut says:

Good to see Narcissu there

15. kalirion says:

Oozi is a great little platformer, extremely polished for an indie game. Heartily recommended to anyone who doesn’t feel all platformers should require puzzle solving and twitch reflexes.

Evil Quest is a very good action/adventure/rpg with Crystalis style gameplay. And you really do play an evil character in this one. Not an antihero, not cartoonish “MWAHAHAHA” villain, but just a really bad guy.

And yes, it’s about damn time for Driftmoon.

16. Lemming says:

Damn still waiting for Spud’s Quest to make it onto Steam.

17. Scumbag says:

Are there any channels out there that do “Playing the utter garbage that somehow passes Greenlight so you don’t have to”?

• cbanana says:

There’s already lots of footage of Bad Rats, Revelations 2012, Infestation: Survivor Stories, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem Forever, Daikatana and Ride to Hell: Retribution. Oh, wait a minute. That stuff never had to go through Greenlight in the first place.

Seriously though, I definitely prefer a system that allows the the good niche stuff through even if it means that some bad games manage to get through.

• Silent_Thunder says:

Yes, it’s called “Spend five minutes googling before making an impulse buy”

If more people did that gaming would be in a much better state and crap games wouldn’t get so far out of the gate before imploding.

• DrollRemark says:

If only there was some kind of website where they posted news, previews and reviews of current PC games, where indie efforts had equal footing with AAA titles.

18. Turkey says:

I’ve already forgotten all of the games from the last Greenlight list.

19. Lobotomist says:

Red Baron !

20. tsff22 says:

I am seriously starting to think someone at Valve has a personal vendetta against Soldat.

That is the only reason I can think of that Drox Operative STILL hasn’t been greenlit despite how popular its become.

21. strangeloup says:

I can’t be arsed clicking through to find out about the 91% of these titles that I have never heard of. Anything looking particularly promising?

• kalirion says:

Just wait for them to show up on Steam’s new releases and visit the forums.

My personal recommendations (and I’ve finished all of these except Driftmoon, of which I’ve only played the extended demo so far):

Driftmoon
      EvilQuest
      Frogatto & Friends
      Major Mayhem
      Oozi: Earth Adventure

BTW Major Mayhem is the only PC game I’ve played which detected that it was running too slowly (on my laptop with integrated Intel GPU) and paused the gameplay to inquire if I wanted to go to the graphics settings to lower them, providing a 1 click option to do so. Not bad for a mobile port!

• SavageTech says:

I’d recommend EvilQuest if you’ve never played another ARPG in your life. If you’ve so much as glanced at Secret of Mana, Zelda: A Link to the Past, or any decent ARPG, then Evilquest will feel like having your nostalgia blended up into a pallid slurry, ingested by a gorilla, and shit into your throat.

• Canadave says:

Out of the Park Baseball is to baseball as Football Manager is to football, so you’re into that kind of thing, it can be worth picking up. I’m hoping the increased exposure from Steam will give them more money to work with for future editions.

22. shoefish says:

Disregard, turns out Crimsonland was greenlit already and i missed it. Boy is my face red!

23. DrManhatten says:

Steam store is quickly becoming worse than Android and Iphone app stores. Time to look for good alternatives the ship is definitely sinking (rapidly)

24. hideinlight says:

Rooks Keep is up there, at last!

25. Thrippy says:

International Racing Squirrels is one of best free edutainment games from the last several years. Glad to see it’s getting a Steam version, the developers deserve some compensation. Already bought Beware Planet Earth from Big Fish while waiting for PVZ2. It’s an above average polished casual tower defense – getting/got a DLC.

If Potatoman Seeks The Troof is as insane as its insanest-of-the-year trailer, I’ll be tickled crazy.

26. gryffinp says:

“”Super Code Webpage Developer” is either one of those non-game software things that’s on Steam for some weird reason, or the best game ever.”

*click*

“Aw, god damn it.”

27. Premium User Badge Zyvo says:

Aww still no Richard & Alice? :/

28. XhomeB says:

Yay, Paper Sorcerer.
    By the way, why the heck isn’t it out on GOG yet?

29. SirMonkeyWrench says:

Lots of games that look interesting, very few that look amazing. Not the worst greenlight batch out there.

30. SavageTech says:

This list must be a joke. EvilQuest? That game is without a doubt the WORST action-RPG that I’ve ever had the misfortune of playing. It has the worst graphics, the worst gameplay, and the worst writing of any game in the genre. I got it in one of the countless indie bundles and I still feel like I got ripped off. The bundle should’ve been priced lower just to apologize for wasting the buyers’ time and bandwidth with that poor excuse for entertainment.