Open Your Wallet For War Thunder’s Ground Forces Beta

By Craig Pearson on December 6th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

“Load the platinum cannons with the world’s largest diamond!”
*Ker-chunk*
“Loaded, sir! But we don’t have anything to fire it at.”
“You’re right, Jiggingtons! We’ve already blasted a hole where the Mona Lisa’s smile should be, and knocked the arms off the Venus de Milo. I need to purchase more art to destroy. Gentlemen, stand down. Amuse yourselves while I’m at the super-secret auction.”
“Expositionally well done, sir. Sir, can we play some War Thunder while you’re gone? There are tanks in the closed beta, and all you need to do get in is buy a …”
“Don’t be bloody stupid, Jiggingtons! I’m not made of money! Now hand me my ivory backscratcher, and get the man who tells the man who tells the other man to open the door for me. I’m orf.”

The previously plane-only online shooter War Thunder has launched the closed beta to the Ground Forces Expansion. There are a few ways to get into the tanks the update brings (the game held a series of daily challenges, but those are now over), and of them is to a purchase an Advanced Tank Expansion. They can be bought at the site and will guarantee you a place in the beta, but not until later in the month. And not without straining your wallet mightily: the cheapest option is $50, and for that you’ll receive an exclusive tank, 2000 Eagles (Premium currency, worth about $12), and eventually closed beta access. That is a hefty whack to access something you’ll eventually be able to play for free. Why so much? It could either be an attempt to ensure only die-hards get involved, or it’s a company who knows they have a large audience who they can make money from.

Here’s what you’ll get and what you need to pay to get it, but I’d suggest you probably could play other things and wait until you can get access for free.

• M4A2 Sherman Starter Pack (49.99 USD/EUR)
o Exclusive M4A2 Sherman, captured by the German forces, that will be available only for the owners of this pack;
o 2000 Golden Eagles;
o Access to the Closed Beta later in December

• M4A2 Sherman Advanced Pack (59.99 USD/EUR)
o Unique German “Panther” decal of 39th Tank Regiment, 51st Battalion;
o Unique German “Knight with spear” decal of 505th Heavy Tank Battalion, 1944;
o Unique title “Sherman Hunter”;
o 3000 Golden Eagles;
o Access to the Closed Beta later in December

• T-34 Advanced Pack (49.99 USD/EUR)
o Exclusive T-34 prototype, that will be available only for the owners of this pack;
o Unique Soviet “Swift” decal of 15th Guards Mechanized Brigade, 4th Guards Mechanized Corps, 3rd Ukrainian Front, 1944;
o Unique Soviet “Circles” decal of 7th Guards Tank Corps, 1945;
o Unique title “T-34 Test Driver”;
o 3000 Golden Eagles;
o Access to the Closed Beta later in December

• T-34 and M4A2 Sherman Advanced Pack (99.99 USD/EUR)
o Unique Soviet “Circles” decal of 7th Guards Tank Corps, 1945;
o Unique German “Panther” decal of 39th Tank Regiment, 51st Battalion;
o Unique German “Knight with spear” decal of 505th Heavy Tank Battalion, 1944;
o Unique title “Sherman Hunter”;
o Unique title “T-34 Test Driver”
o Unique title “Tank Pioneer”
o 6000 Golden Eagles
o Access to the Closed Beta later in December

, , , .

1. 0positivo says:

Or you could buy the T34 pack avaliable only from the Russian store (in russian, with russian money), which comes at just above 25 €

WHY? Well, Bugger if I know

But google translator saved my wallet, that’s for sure

• SternVonAfrika says:

that is so not true. it costs $45. i live in Russia and i paid $100 for the advanced pack.

2. Stargazer86 says:

Also, apparently the first wave of beta testers will need to send in a copy of their driver’s license/passport.

• SprintJack says:

That only apply for russian testers that got the invite through the lottery/competition. Anyone buying way in is part of second wave with no such restrictions.

Thurgret says:

War Thunder’s good fun – the bit with the planes, that is. If this proves to be superior to World of Tanks, which I sort of bounced off, the free version will doubtless be worth a look. Don’t see it being worth all that money right now, though.

4. Smoof says:

I’ve played a lot of World of Tanks. War Thunder has my curiosity piqued, but I have one worry:

Artillery can be annoying enough in World of Tanks when they can strike you from anywhere; how bad will it be when planes can swoop by, drop a bomb and there’s nothing you can do about it?

Thurgret says:

It presumably won’t be game-ending, as it would be in World of Tanks. In War Thunder’s plane part, at least, you can go get in a different plane after you get shot down. Other than that, I guess you just have to hope for friendly air cover.

• Koozer says:

From what I’ve seen aircraft can’t see a targeting reticule like they do for AI vehicles, they have to actually see you to have a chance of hitting you. I suppose getting hit my aircraft will be a rare occurrence, but still an incredibly annoying chunk of damage from out of the blue. So exactly like the new WoT artillery then.

• pupsikaso says:

New WOT artillery?

• Gurrah says:

getting hit my aircraft will be a rare occurrence … exactly like the new WoT artillery then

Yes, new as in rare or rather useless because Wargaming deemed it necessary to cave and cater to the naysayers and campers that have plagued WOT since day one. Artillery has been nerfed into oblivion because they thought it a better idea than a hard-lock on matchmaking. That’s why you very rarely see arty and especially high-tier arty in the game anymore, and if you do they are a burden opposed to the help they were back in the days.

• LawL4Ever says:

Can’t really agree with that. I actually liked the arty nerfs since it made less people play arty so I can do more damage because not every target moving out of arty cover for a second gets bombed by 5 Artys. I liked my 212 till I sold it, and loved my S-51 and 268 even after the nerfs. I don’t really play WoT anymore though since the only thing I really enjoy now are High-Tier arty and low-tier Tanks. Too many autoloaders in high tiers. I’ll surely take a look at WT’s Ground Forces when it becomes free.

Regarding Planes easily taking out tanks, I don’t see this happening. Most tanks will probably have an onboard machine gun you can either control yourself or let the AI control, just like the turrets in the current WT, and you could probably avoid high level bombing by moving unpredictably (just the way you can semi-evade arty shots in WoT, just better because the bombs fall for longer and have less randomization).

• battles_atlas says:

I played WoT pretty solidly for over a year, but the constant feature creep of new OP tier Xs that they rely on as a mechanic to keep players grinding has just reached a point where my love of the game is dead. Partly its the sheer cynicism of the model, partly its the fact that it means the game is constantly unbalanced at the top tiers, and partly its because the degree of barrel scraping is now dragging up such absurd fantasy tanks – like the ridiculous new German autoloaders – that my immersion has been killed completely. I could take an AT-AT walker as seriously as I can take the new top tier tank.

• MellowKrogoth says:

I don’t know which game you are playing, but in WoT arties are back in force and we’re seeing 3-arty-on-each-side games again. They always seem to do a good amount of damage, so it seems arty players have stopped crying and learned to play arties with their new limitations.

They’re definitely less accurate and slower aiming than before though, so thankfully the game’s not anymore about cowering behind rocks. If you stay stationary or use predictable avenues of approach they can still get you.

• Kerbal_Rocketry says:

except unlike arty, who can stay hidden the entire match and will typically dive in a lake just to spite the enemy team, aircraft will be easily spotted and will have other aircraft to contend with.
          So rather than in WoT where arty can see you and you can’t see them it’s the opposite! (personally think that would be a good change to WoT, make it so that when artillery fire their camo value drops by a gigantic amount)

• Meneldil says:

Because, obviously, arty in WoT

a – never get spotted
            b – don’t have to deal with ennemy arty and counter-artillery

People who whine about artillery in WoT have a name : noobs. I’m not a top player (currently sitting at 52% W/R), I rarely play arty (I have a tier 7 french one, deals 200 HP to targets that have 1700), and I never had any problem with arty. Stay behind cover, know who they are aiming at and when they last fired. At least they used to keep in check the insane TDs that now completely plague every tier X game.

• DarkFenix says:

I am a top player and I agree Meneldil. Arty wasn’t a big deal, it just pissed on the power fantasy of all the players who wanted to feel invincible in a heavy tank. Now of course with arty nerfed into oblivion tank destroyers are king. WG need to learn not to listen to players crying.

Still, I won’t deny that I have a lot more fun in random battles with no more arty. Since I know how to play I can seal club the average player even worse than when arty was able to do something to me.

• DatonKallandor says:

In Warthunder small caliber AA (up to 20mm) will shred aircraft in moments. AAA will one-shot them.
      Now imagine that AA controlled not by an AI with a giant random firing cone, but by a human, who will put that Flak88 into your wing every time you get closer than 500 meters.

It’s not the Ground Vehicles that need to be scared of the big bad divebombers. It’s the other way around.

• Tomwyr says:

8,8 on 500m won’t be able to do much, it just can’t follow an aircraft. For that distance I’d say 20 mm AA would be great.

• ilves says:

1) you can play in games without planes or with, your choice.

2) They’ve made nailing tanks a little bit harder than it used to be with a single shot, you have to nail them directly on or you won’t get the kill (unless you’re running like 1000lb+ bombs).

3) Player tanks won’t show up a targeting reticule from miles out like AI tanks will, its going to actually be tough SPOTTING a tank in the first place, mostly it’ll only be possible via friendly spotting or looking at where the tank shell tracers are coming from.

• Behrditz says:

The ground forces trailer showed what is CLEARLY a dedicated AA vehicle players can drive. Gun on the very top pointed skyward on a ball mount. Apart from that support class of vehicle, some light tanks have rapid fire 20mm cannons as their main armament, and their elevation limit is pretty high. One is even shown shooting down a low flying plane. These make for some good counters to planes. As for dodging high altitude line bombers, you would just have to scramble once you detected them in your area. Thats like a 10 second lead-time they need depending on altitude.

5. Ham Solo says:

I somehow don’t see how people cant carpet bomb the whole enemy side of the ground forces map with heavy bombers.

• Behrditz says:

They wont because the tanks wont be AI that drives in a straight line down roads. If the plane is at a high enough altitude to not get shot down immediately by other planes, then its bombs will have like a 10 second lead time. If you know a bomber is in your area, you could just scatter.

Cinek says:

Good luck with that. People aren’t synchronized enough to do fancy stuff like that. Perhaps some clans / platoons could get carped bombing done, but it’s still highly unlikely considering that enemy got fighters out there.

6. austinwoolcock says:

Abby. although Denise`s story is flabbergasting… on wednesday I got themselves a Land Rover Defender from bringing in $9333 this last month an would you believe ten-grand this past month. it’s by-far the most-comfortable job I’ve ever had. I started this 9-months ago and pretty much straight away startad earning over $87… p/h.
    try here……. http://goo.gl/iITlPP