Squallout: Final Fantasy VIII Now On Steam

By Nathan Grayson on December 6th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

I mope, therefore I am.

I played a lot of Final Fantasies during my rock-bottom console gamer phase. Final Fantasy VIII was not one of them. Well, that’s not entirely true. I tried a demo disc from some old PlayStation magazine once, and it chugged, whimpered pitifully, and died on me about ten minutes into the opening cut-scene. Beyond that, I heard too many mixed things and decided to get my fantastical fix elsewhere. Did I make a boo-boo, though – perhaps even the biggest boo-boo of all, Boo-boo-aga? If so, just say the word and I’ll duct-tape a gun to a sword, don a poofy, pouty coat, and load up the newly released Steam version of FFVIII.

It’s exactly what it sounds like: Final Fantasy VIII, but, you know, on Steam. Also, the epic tale of love, loss, and hair gets some additional features for our hallowed platform of choice:

“Optimized for modern high-definition PCs and fully integrated with the Steam platform, this version includes a range of new features such as a Magic Booster that enables players to power up their spells, Steam cloud support, and 45 integrated achievements to encourage players to explore various facets of the game. Also included is the Chocobo World, previously unavailable to Western players on the original release.”

Chocobo World! How can Squall stay all mopey and sad when there are infinite bright-as-the-summer-sun horse birds, ripe for frolicking with? I guess we’ll find out.

Speaking of Squall, while – again – I have never played Final Fantasy VIII, I know for a fact that this image is incontrovertibly the best thing to emerge from it. Shame that dumb HD-optimized graphics will probably ruin it. Horrifically jagged 32-bit polygons for life, yo.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Forral says:

Probably sacrilege to say this but I found FF8 to be my favourite in the series. Started at seven and tried the older ones as well as the newer instalments including the corridor sim. This just clicked the most with me. Still have fond memories of finishing this game at 7am after pulling an all night play session and then going downstairs to find Xenogears had been delivered :)
    Very tempted to pick this up and replay it, but not sure about the music and if its possible to increase the resolution on it.

• Moraven says:

Not really. Everyone has their favorite and most hated FF. 8 falls in both categories.

Much like people will argue FF6 > FF7. Or FF9 > 7. Or FF12 > FF10. etc etc.

My biggest dislike was the Materia collection. Was like farming materials in a MMO.

• rockman29 says:

I loved all of VII, VIII, IX, X, and XII. And my order of liking those differs from most, though I hold VII most dear like most others too.

For me they are different styles of the same basic formula. Same with Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger. This time period for JRPGs was legendary, and that they all came from Squaresoft was just insane.

The only main Final Fantasy I have not liked, and actually hated, was XIII. It’s a horrible, awful game that captures nothing that made the series special for so many games in the past IMO.

The good thing that came from that is that I went back to give X-2 a real shot to get a Final Fantasy fix, and felt it was actually a very competent and fun game, so there is my silver lining.

The dark inside of the cloud is… Squaresoft is dead and is never coming back.

• apocraphyn says:

Squaresoft has been gone for a long time. Square-Enix is certainly more Enix than Square. However, if you want to experience that old Square-game rush…I’d recommend checking out Bravely Default, if you have a 3DS to hand. Fired it up a few hours ago for the first time and it’s utterly fantastic, from the battle mechanics to the characters, to the music and the locales. Absolutely wonderful, thus far.

• noodlecake says:

VI definitely doesn’t > VII. VI is incredibly generic. I did really enjoy it but they added loads of characters just for the sake of it that aren’;t remotely fleshed out. VII breaks a lot more fantasy tropes than VI, and the world is much more beautifully realised. The magic system in VII is cleverer and more unique than any of the others.

For me VII>X>VIII>IX>VI>all the others.

• thecommoncold says:

We’re going to have to disagree on this one. I actually replayed FFVI last month, and I was stunned at how well the story and characters hold up. The characters are more believable and their individual moments are more touching (Cyan’s letters in the World of Ruin come to mind). Comparing the big, heavy turning points in VI and VII (ruined world versus Aeris dying), and it’s no contest. Aeris dying stretches credibility to an absurd level and comes off as cheap heart-string tugs, but after the apocalypse in VI captures the despair pretty darn well for being so lo-fi.

For all the genius of the FFVII materia system, its story is a bit overrated (Not exactly bad, but hardly as captivating as is commonly argued), and its characters fall into caricature traps too often.

Having played the first 9, my top three are VI>VIII>I (it’s a classic), in that order. Past that, they get a little jumbled up… other than II, which is still the worst (sorry FFII, SaGa games did it better).

• Ragnar says:

I’m playing FF6 now, about half way through, and I can’t understand where all the hype and love comes from. The game is completely over the top, the story is generic and predictable, and almost every character is ridiculous. Coming straight from FF4, 6 is a pretty big disappointment.

FF12 has the best story, imo, but is paired to the worst gameplay of the series. FF13 has the best gameplay, imo, but the story is a jumbled mess at best. Still, if I was to replay one, 13 or 10 would likely be my choice.

• Tacroy says:

FF6 suffers from Wuthering Heights syndrome – it comes off as predictable and overplayed to modern viewers because everything made in its genre since has been an homage to it.

• Philomelle says:

“Coming straight from FF4, 6 is a pretty big disappointment.”

Funny thing, I consider FF4 to have some of the worst writing I have ever encountered in a JRPG. I don’t know if the remake has improved on it, but the original was pretty much a shoddy pile-up of bad epic fantasy tropes akin to an R. Salvatore novel.

FF6, on the other hand, is one of my favorites. It’s right below Tactics and VIII. I sometimes wish to put FFVII higher on the list, but its amazing history and lore are really dragged down by some of the worst-written characters in the history of gaming, complete with hands down the most offensive portrayal of a woman I have ever seen.

• Moraven says:

And you make my point. Talking about which FF is better than another is pointless and everyone has their own preferences and reasons. The few I listed are what I see crop up usually.

• thecommoncold says:

Considering these are games which defined many of us through our childhood to young adult gaming experiences, I’d say it kind of matters. Arbitrary, sure, but not irrelevant.

• dE says:

Well it spawns discussions. And harmless ones at that. Even if it doesn’t serve a direct purpose and people will never agree on a consensus, it’s fun to try to convince others nonetheless. It also helps shine light on alternative points of view, like the story theory about 8 for example (someone linked it somewhere around here).

• Tacroy says:

I’m pretty sure that during the last Awesome Games Done Quick marathon, Die Hard won the title of “best Final Fantasy”. So that’s what I’m gonna go with.

• TheBarringGaffner says:

My favorite will always be IX, but I have no idea how much of that is nostalgia. I remember the character writing being a lot better than the other games in the series. They seemed a lot more like humans and less exaggerated anime archetypes. It’s also the only 3D Final Fantasy with a memorable art style.

• rockman29 says:

The series of Squaresoft games on PS1 had much better quality writing than many of their previous titles and other JRPGs. Specifically with FF VII, Sony helped with the translation and it really helped. It was much improved compared to the demo release only months earlier. I first played these games when I was 10 to 12 years old, and the quality of the writing is the main reason I am interested in reading and writing today.

And yes FF IX has a very distinguished art style imo as well. Such a great mix of medieval and industrial/steam era kind of art, really beautiful in so many respects. Technically the most impressive Squaresoft game outside of Chrono Cross on the PS1 as well.

• GameCat says:

And for me FF8 is clearly the worst FF I’ve ever played. Its plot was bad like teenage fanfiction and I feel it that way when I was 13-14 years old, lol.
      I mean, military school, cars, silly weapons, magic, mecha-spiders, chocobos mixed together was bad
      And at one point you had to drive the car into magic fiery cave to obtain summonable entity called Ifrit. What the hell? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?
      Also magic system where you must constantly grind for spells was just epic fail.

PS. My fauvorite is of course Final Fantasy IX.

• dE says:

I’m also one of those that just couldn’t deal with Final Fantasy 8. It’s not that it tried to be different, I can deal with that. It just did not click with me on any level whatosever. The story – miss. The summons – got old, fast. The music – can’t remember it (I can still hum melodies from 6 and 7). The magic system where you had to steal spells didn’t just miss, it punched a hole into another dimension and disappeared through the tunnel.
        Final Fantasy 8 was the game after which I stopped playing the series. I retried a few times, for a small amount of hours each, like I did with 10 (ugh) 12 (uuuuugh) and 13 (uuuuuuuuuuugh). I just could never get into it anymore. I’m still grateful for their existence though, it allowed games like Lost Odyssey to happen in it’s shadow. Now THAT game knows how to toy with emotions.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

My favorite is 9 but 7 holds a special place because it was my first FF game.
        I thought FF 8 was just awful. I didn’t really understand the draw system and just spammed summons until the game got impossible as a result about half-way through. The story felt like fan fiction based on some other FF 8 game we never got.
        Elite soldier high school drama… At least in 7 you play as environmentalist terrorists and the story never takes itself seriously.

• ryanrybot says:

Yep, FF8 was one of my favourites as well. I just related to the world, which was more futuristic than fantasy, more than the others. The Draw system had it’s issues and although it doesn’t hold a candle to the Materia system in 7, the way you could bind spells to your stats was genius. Triple Triad was also very cool card game.
      My opinions probably have no merit though, as I’m probably the only guy to love FF2′s leveling system (when not abused, of course). Soooo… yeah.

• Randomer says:

Triple Triad is amazing – far better than the rest of the game.

Though I did love the leveling system. It meant that I could turn off random battles and still be able to fight the bosses/progress the story.

• SillyWizard says:

Triple Triad alone makes this otherwise shitty game infinitely better than the unapologetically and irredeemably shitty FFVII.

Anyone who thinks FFVII was a good game is a stupid, and is incapable of coherent thought. No point in talking about it, you sub-humans.

:D

• thecommoncold says:

I rather like the FFII leveling system… in theory, anyway. In practice, it was a broken mess, so it sadly gets relegated to the bottom of the FF heap for me.

Thankfully, it’s better implemented in (some) SaGa games, especially the surprisingly good Romancing SaGa 3 and to a lesser degree SaGa Frontier 2. Don’t mess with the rest of the series except maybe Frontier 1, since they can be pretty hit-or-miss.

• Baf says:

The thing about FF8 is that it took risks. It’s probably the most experimental of the Final Fantasies, both in content and in gameplay: the powerful Summon magic was cheap and accessible from the very beginning, cash was mainly obtained from a regular salary (which increased on the basis of performance evaluations) rather than loot drops from kills, and then there was the whole system where you could link spells to your stats instead of casting them.

But it’s in the nature of experiments that they often fail. The summon magic thing was particularly bad: a lot of players just used a summon in every fight, making combat even more repetitive, tedious, and boring than in a regular JRPG, until they hit a boss they couldn’t just overpower that way, at which point they gave up because they hadn’t learned how to use the rest of the combat system effectively. But on the face of it, it’s not so different from the way the alter Saints Row games give you access to ridiculously overpowered weaponry from the very beginning.

• thecommoncold says:

FF8 is kind of the black sheep of the series. It’s world is weird, it’s story is weird, it’s battle system is weird… and yet I still loved it.

My only real complaints are that drawing hundreds of spells got a little tedious after a while, and summons are way too long (less of a problem if you’ve got some knowledge of the system, and then you realize constant summoning is actually a sub-par strategy for the second half of the game). But hey, through that tedium, at least we get awesome battle music. Best of the series!

• geldonyetich says:

Well, it’s probably a pretty bad sign for Final Fantasy 8 that Square (not sure if they were Square-Enix yet) went on to make Final Fantasy 9 in the spirit of, “Okay, lets go back to our roots since Final Fantasy 8 turned out so terrible.” FF9 was a game that stuck as close to established Square tropes as they could, and was pretty good!

When I played Final Fantasy 8, what I would do is just constantly summon my Guardian Forces, because it didn’t cost anything to do so and they did a lot more damage than my physical attacks. Suffice to say, watching summon animations that lasted 30-90 seconds over and over again got really boring quick.

Spoony’s retrospectives tend to be a little on the unfair side, but he certainly underscores the bad quite effectively, and make no mistake: there was [i]plenty[/i] of bad to be found in Final Fantasy 8. He played the game as it was supposed to be played: max out your spell counts and slot them on your characters for maximum effectiveness. Drawing magic from mobs over and over again was even more boring than summoning GFs constantly. (True, you could obtain magic by trading in cards, but the card game had its problems, too.)

Of course, Final Fantasy 8′s graphics and cinematics were great: Square always was ahead of the industry there.

• Ragnar says:

I had that exact problem with the FF8 demo.

Boss has 1 million HP. I can either attack for 40 damage, or do a summon for 400. But the summon has a 90 second animation that I can’t skip. Instead of coming down to which attack was better, it came down to which attack was less annoying and which option got me out of the boring boss battle in under half an hour?

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

This was the major failing of the game, lots of people fell into this trap, it was NOT necessary to play like this. Properly using the draw system resulted in well balanced characters that didn’t require constant summoning of GF’s. People drew spells a couple of times, went “thats boring” and resorted to GF summoning for every tough fight, but the game was so much more fun if you played it “properly” and all it required was a relatively small time investment to gather a stack of each spell.

• malkav11 says:

The thing is, the GFs were primarily useful for what they let you equip, not the actual summons, at least not after a certain point. The character’s limit breaks were far more effective in the long run and one cast of Aura plus a Lionheart Renzokuken was the highest damage attack in the entire game.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yep was my favourite too. I just preferred the world and the more realistic characters/visuals in this one (no talking dogs or midgets with tails as playable characters). I was able to look past the slightly annoying but in no way gamebreaking draw system and enjoy the game. That seems to be the main gripe with people and although it wasn’t perfect if you spend a bit of time (maybe an hour) 3 or 4 times in the game acquiring the new spells then the game is a joy to play.

• mwoody says:

I agree wholeheartedly, though I won’t be silly enough to try to argue the point against anyone who disagrees; I’d no sooner try to talk someone out of their favorite FF than I’d try to get them to switch religions.

It’s the only reasonably lengthy game I’ve ever played where I reached the ending, some 60 hours in at least, and immediately started a second playthrough. Something about it spoke to me.

I’m almost afraid to play it again now, as I feel I’ll learn something horrible about my younger self.

• Universal Quitter says:

I hope it isn’t sacrilege. I’d say it’s A favorite for me, as I still have a nostalgic place in my heart for VII. It certainly had a relatable protagonist for an introverted, console-addicted pre-teen. Some years later, in high school, one girl even asked me out based on a passing resemblance to the main character, minus the horrific scar. I’d actually forgotten about that until just now.

Now that I think about it, this game rocks. 10/10 and *****.

2. DantronLesotho says:

FF8 is the worst of 3D FF’s as far as I’m concerned. It was when the marketers realized they could make a killing by just giving the cardboard characters the basics of emotion. The game wasn’t even finished, really. It went way over budget and over deadline so a lot of the story just doesn’t even make sense. The leveling system is imbalanced (when you level up your strength, so do the enemies, enough so that some can wipe you out with one 9999hp hit). The limit breaks break the game (Zell’s is EASILY exploited to do the most damage of any character). There is a quicktime event for each summon every single time you do it if you enable that. The card game in it is stupid. And the biggest, most egregious thing they did was give you a salary. You didn’t get paid by killing creatures, you got paid on a fixed interval of time. And to get higher pay, you had to carry out stupid tasks but eventually your reputation could die back down and you would have to wait an absurdly long amount of time to earn enough money for items. Also there are no treasure chests.

• mwoody says:

Weird; I don’t remember any of that.

• crowleyhammer says:

Was there a point to money anyway? If i remember you had to make weapons from pieces of shit like steel pipes and screws that you couldnt buy anyway. or did you have to find the book to know what you needed, then travel the world to find the pieces to return to the guy to pay to make a weapon .

Card game was quite good, really enjoyed that. BAM oh the rules changed to incomprehensible shit and lost interest.

and on and on it went.

3. Revolving Ocelot says:

….

…Whatever.

• Viroso says:

(Gosh why does this post keep talking to me, it’s not like I care)

• SomeDuder says:

Like? No? How can we add value to good comments in this weird archaic commentsystem? Well whatever, that post just about sums up this horrible experience of a videogame.

4. MykulJaxin says:

I snorted when I saw that image at the tail end of the post. Wonderful.

5. solidsquid says:

“Also included is the Chocobo World, previously unavailable to Western players on the original release”

Wait what? I totally had a copy of Chocobo World, and as far as I’m aware it was the original PC release I got it with. Maybe they mean North American players rather than western?

edit: Read the wiki article, apparently it was for the Pocket Station, which wasn’t released outside Japan, but the PC port of it did come with a copy. So Chocobo World isn’t new for PC releases of the game

• Baf says:

Probably “original release” here means Playstation. Even in the West, it was released on Playstation a year before PC. But yeah, Chocobo World was definitely in the PC release I played back in the day.

• Jad says:

Well, duh, the PC version of Square games don’t count, and should not be considered when making claims in press releases of re-releases of PC versions of Square games.

Which as I stated, don’t count, and so in fact Chocobo World still has never been released in the West, and everything in the above article is a lie.

6. Sakkura says:

If you’re still a teenager, do play this. If not – don’t waste your time. I think this only works on impressionable minds, not jaded guys in their 30s.

7. Scumbag says:

Now square seem to be milking their old FF games on PC are we gonna finally get the port of IX? Would love that as it was my personal favorite of the PSX era.

• kael13 says:

Please give us IX! I saw a thread yesterday full of background artwork from the game in glorious HD, so it does exist.

• Viroso says:

I don’t think they’ll do IX. VII and VIII if I recall correctly were both released on PC back then, and I think the only two that ever got a PC release in the entire series. I mean save for the MMO stuff.

8. Napalm Sushi says:

I bet I won’t see Panzer Dragoon Saga on Steam any time soon :(

9. DanMan says:

I think it’s funny how bad these pre-rendered CGI in-game videos look compared to real-time graphics of today. At the time you were drooling at the thought that one day, in the far distant future, games could look this awesome. And today, they look even better.

Anyway, i also liked FF8 at the time. The combat was fun. Everything after 10 sucks though.

10. Pryopizm says:

Just about everything in this game–particularly the awful story and dialogue–is terrible. However, I love it to death for one reason: Limit Breaks. They make me giggle with glee, so I will buy this game.

Best in series: VI.

I hope they keep porting these to PC. I’d love to play HD IX, X and XII

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Don’t count on it. The only reason VII and VIII are on Steam is that they were originally released on the PC as well as the PS1. That rarely gets mentioned, but FFVII was one of the two PC games that got me into the hobby (the other being Warcraft 2).

11. amadeus9 says:

“Shame that dumb HD-optimized graphics will probably ruin it. ” Highly unlikely, FF7 received no such upgrades. All the footage in that trailer was from the original FMVs.

• Kodeen says:

They’ll be using the same assets, but when the game doesn’t have to be rendered at 256×224 it can make a world of difference. Here’s a comparison shot with the epsxe emulator:

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah simply emulating the PS1 versions of 7, 8 and 9 and running them at full resolution make the games look a bunch better anyway, I don’t want them to fuck about with the graphics, that would ruin the original experience, just let me run it at high res and fix the clunky sound driver usage that 7 and 8 had on initial PC release.

12. Amnesiac says:

Its a shame Final Fantasy IX was never released on PC. I’d love to see with modded.

It still looks great on a smaller creen like a phone or psp.

Also FF VIII was my first gaming disappointment. I thought the graphics were fmv quality until the badass intro ended :(

• noodlecake says:

Really? But the art direction is completely amazing. I always find it weird when people criticize the graphical fidelity of games with wonderful art.

• Amnesiac says:

I was ten and had seen amazing trailers on TV.

They led me to believe the game looked like the FMVs. Hence the disappointment.

Still ended up really getting into the game about a year later.

• cpmartins says:

Art direction? FF is the definition of not having a definite art direction. All over the place shit.

13. Aerothorn says:

Be warned that that uses MIDI files in place of the original score. You’ll have to search the a mod if you want the music-as-originally-intended.

14. EOT says:

Wake me up when they bring FFIX over to steam. I want me some Vivi.

15. BD says:

FF8 is easy to criticize, however it is without a doubt my favorite of them all, and I have played them all.

All. Even 11 during its first years. To the endgame.

Most people confine their critique to the story and the characters, because for most people, if they do not identify or like the main character from the onset, they tend to despise the main character, and through that, the entirety of the game eventually.

FF8 did not make a literal amnesiac as the main character (though ironically, he does have amnesia as a main plot device, however not one where it’s in service to the player as for example, FF7), and Squall actually has a personality, one which isn’t likable for the purposes of the story intentionally.

In any case, FF8 has the most fleshed out and imagined fantasy world, and best realized one out of all of the FF’s.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yep, I thought the imperfect characters made for a far better cast than the cliche’s in FF7 (I.e. Massive black guy who yells a lot, girl that sells flowers etc) and the stupid characters (talking dog, cat riding a giant wtf, vampire, ninja girl). The characters in 8 were more realistic, some people clearly disliked them for this but I hate this criticism of the game personally.

Also the world was more original than 7 and 9 (I’d argue that 10′s world was better as it was completely unique), which were cyberpunk and steampunk cliche’s respectively.

• Viroso says:

I won’t say VIII was bad, but what I didn’t like about it was that it managed to be even more broken than FFVII. There were two ways of playing it. You didn’t care about cards and refining for the first two discs, so you used GFs for everything and battles took forever, were boring. You understood the refining and the power of the cards, and you’d get extremely powerful spells for junction early on, making you a god for most of the game.

But all of that went down the drain once you got a good supply of Aura, then the game kinda became hitting triangle a lot of times during battle until you could do some super insanely powerful limit break. Not every battle was that, of course, even late game battles needed more than that to work. But it was very limited by those things.

Still, one of the best last dungeons in the FF series.

16. Rikard Peterson says:

Steam cloud support? I thought mr Spikey Hair was in FF7?

17. Keyrock says:

This game was highly polarizing, a lot of people loved it dearly, a lot of people hated it with a passion because it was so different than previous entries. I personally like this game a lot. i think it’s one of the last few great Final Fantasy games.

18. Nemo1342 says:

I actually registered to the comments system today after reading RPS for years in order to encourage people to play this game. It is, as some have said, easy to criticize, with its somewhat goofy story, somewhat grindy system, and all around weirdness. However, it is just one of those games that sticks with you despite its flaws. Part of the reason for that is that many of its weaknesses, particularly the story and system, are its hidden strengths. The combat system, whatever its flaws, rewards you richly for taking the time to understand it. Likewise, the story, which starts out a melange of young adult fiction (actually a melange of many books that came AFTER the game, but whatever) really deepens as you get into the second half of the game, and you become attached to characters who initially seem cliched. That’s before you even get into one of my absolute favorite fan theories of all time. I won’t spoil that for you, because you should play the game first, but it’s a fun one. For me FF8 closely follows 6 as my favorite FF title in the series (of those not called “tactics” it goes: 6>8>5>10>7>4 and then the rest in some order).

19. noodlecake says:

I really liked VIII despite the broken combat system. The art direction was lovely and unique and the world a joy to explore. All I really play those games for is pure escapism into a well realised world. I get a lot more out of them than their more serious and usually very generic counterparts such as Baldur’s Gate. I’m not a fan of western fantasy at all really, apart from The Witcher which is the best RPG ever made… Or if you want to be contentious about whether it’s a twue RPG then “Best epic story driven game with choices set in a gritty fantasy setting” ever.

20. kalirion says:

FF7 was the last one I played, and TBQH was kind tired of it by the end.

FF8 I played the demo on a PC Gamer CD, and only thing I remember is being blown away by the quality of the cutscenes. Gameplay must have been quite forgettable.

21. RiffRaff says:

I just found my old disc version of the game yesterday too, weird, anyway I loved this game back then but even I have to say that it is awful. the leveling system made sure I couldn’t finish the game, the story (which was actually really good until this point) simply stopped making sense after the boss battle at the end of disk one, and the summons were non-interactive cutscenes that were often over a minute long

also google squall has no face, and have fun trying to sleep tonight.

22. Taerdin says:

IX and XII are the ones I need to actually try playing… wish they would come to Steam.

• thecommoncold says:

FFXII was always one I wanted to play too, but never got around to it having fallen away from the series since IX. It having been made by the FFTactics group is the primary reason, as FFT was brilliant if you could deal with the abysmal translation.

23. Commander Gun says:

Love how every post on FF will get to an argument which is the best one.
    No, i really do. This is why i think FF is such a beautiful franchise, despite the fact that i haven’t played a single one after X: Everyone has fond memories of at least 1 of these games.

That being said, add another mark to the FF6>FF7 club for me please :)

• Moraven says:

Need a Dragon Warrior discussion. Or Tales of.
      Kings Quest? Maybe some Tensei or Persona while we are at it.

Me, I take each game for what it is and not needing to compare it to others in the series. Each stand on their own merits and are better than most games.

• firefek says:

Nonsense! Tactics is the best one!

24. Heliocentric says:

I’ll just leave this here
    I honestly think this made the plot tolerable, I don’t care if its not “official”, but “officially” magic round about isn’t about drugs.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Possibly the most retarded alternative theory I’ve ever read about anything xD. They really went with the “and it was all a dream”?

• The Random One says:

I dunno; there’s something I dare to call ellegant about saying that a game feels like teenager wish fulfillment because it is wish fulfillment as a teenager’s dying thoughts.

25. DrManhatten says:

This series has always been totally overrated but VIII is with X probably the worst in the series.

26. aliksy says:

FF8 is a textbook example of why level scaling is bad. Monsters scale with your level. If you go out and level up, you get weaker relative to the rest of the world. For optimal results, draw all the spells you can, and defeat monsters using the ‘card’ skill so you don’t gain any xp. You’ll soon have super stats while the enemies do not. This is completely counter intuitive and broken. I also didn’t know this when I first played it, so I thought the game was just really hard.

The card game is also a huge bag of “Guide Dang It”. You have to play certain unmarked people and lose specific cards to them them in the right order, and you get all sorts of powerful bonuses like permanent haste. As far as I can tell, there are few to zero in-game clues about who to lose the right cards to.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Completely unnecessary to play the game that way though. IF you use the draw system properly that powers up your character and not just levels, lots of people seem to hate the draw system so much they never learned how to use it properly. You can literally go through that game playing it the same as any other FF game, never using a GF or any xp cheats like you describe once, if you know what you are doing.

• jrodman says:

If a system is called unintuitive and you defend it with “if you know what you are doing”, it doesn’t seem like much of a defense.

27. jrodman says:

So if this has steam cloud support, does that mean they got rid of the horribly broken save-system in ff7 run by square enix that lost your data regularly and generally sucked?

28. honuk says:

FFVIII is undeniably gorgeous, ambitious, and unique. It is also undeniably batshit insane and broken.

everyone should play it.

• drewski says:

Pretty much how I feel about it.

Play it for it’s insanity until you hit whatever tolerance wall you have, then give it up. It’s an experience worth having, but entirely unnecessary to finish.

29. vecordae says:

FF VIII was the first FF game released in the US that I never got around to finishing, a trend that continues to this day. It had some great visual spectacles, if I recall correctly, especially a big battle with catapult launched motorcycles. It was simultaneously completely ludicrous and kind of awesome.

Honestly, though, for all of my nostalgia regarding IV and VI, my favorite is probably XII. The main protagonist was initially going to be older than 22, which is ancient by JRPG standards, but they switched it to the little blond kid and his pig-tailed sidekick fairly late on. I think the story suffered for the last-minute change but, overall, the whole thing felt far more mature than the earlier entries. As one gets older, the notion of some poe-faced angst-baron or chipper idiot teenager saving the world (while getting the girl) gets a bit tiresome. One begins to wonder why a full-grown man burdened by loyalty and duty can’t save the day every now and then.

30. JustAchaP says:

FF8 was my first so of course it’s my favourite

31. Reginald XVII Archduke of Butts says:

I found FF8 to be so bad it put me off JRPGs for years afterwards.

• Lars Westergren says:

Yep. Same here. So much I never recovered.

Spoiler filled mini-review:

The plot is a convoluted mess, likely created after all the budget was blown on animation and art assets; desperatly using a trifecta of deus ex machina mechanics (collective amnesia, time travel and body hopping) to try to create something coherent from the art but is filled to the brim with plot holes and story threads that are just suddenly dropped on the ground and never referred to by anyone again.

The love story (stories) is saccarine sentimentalism for teenagers and has the usual stale anime/JRPG cliches – girls should always be bubbly, optimistic and should dedicate their lives to making pouty self-centered guys who treat them like dirt love them.

The combat is a tedious unchallenging grind, with mechanics that as usual in JRPGs don’t exist in the story outside of combat. No one reflects over the fact that only a few kids from a so called elite military academy have the vampire like ability to suck the magical essesence from everything around them.

On the plus side, some of the art was nice, and Triple Triad was a fun little minigame.

• tobecooper says:

I’ve played FF8 around it’s release date on PC, and still remember that ‘collective amnesia’ plot-twist.
        It’s really something. Even as a teenager I couldn’t decide if it was incredibly stupid or supremely awesome.

• Teovald says:

I did not have such a bad time with the game, but I fully agree that the scenario and tropes were a disaster.

That’s actually not a bad idea. Erfworld is a webcomic that does this very well with turn by turn strategic battles.

32. purex. says:

FF8 was one of my favorite games as a kid, probably because I understood so little of what was going on and interpreted that as infinite depth to be explored. I’ve played it at different ages between 7 and 18 and it’s always had a different impact on me, in terms of the memories I created with it. I can’t really argue for the quality of the story or gameplay, I honestly don’t remember much in detail and I wasn’t critical at the time, but as a kid, it branded me deeply.

• Don Reba says:

I’m guessing that in later years, you were branded even more deeply by Purex. There must be a hell of a story behind that.

33. cylentstorm says:

FFVIII wasn’t horrible, it just eventually failed to hold my interest. It was an early sign of the decline, however. XII was the last good FF, and my personal favorite, with VI being a nostalgic, but close second. Anyway–don’t buy it. Just grab a PS emulator and snag the iso. Easy to find, easy to run, with minimal setup, and you don’t have to give Squenix cash that could be used for better things, such as tipping bartenders and/or strippers. Or maybe spend it on a new game, rather than a half-assed port of a barely above-average JRPG.

34. tomimt says:

I always liked FF8, not as much as I liked FF7 mind you as that was my introduction to the series, but I liked it enough to play it throuh 3 times. Though getting it from Steam would be a bit silly, as the PS1 is so well emulated on PC these days.

35. dethtoll says:

This is the 2nd worst game I’ve ever played. The worst is Planescape Torment. They’re technically both equally bad in terms of being unplayable garbage — PST just tends to edge out because even most die-hard FF8 fans recognize the game has flaws, whereas PST fans don’t.

• Snargelfargen says:

I agree, popularly acclaimed game X with rabid fanbase is bad. This is because it isn’t a REAL rpg and it tries too hard to be art which is of course impossible. Also, sexism.

36. Teovald says:

That’s not true. Chocobo World was bundled with the pc version of the game in western countries. I remember playing it as a kid.
    It does not make much of a difference though, it was a very primitive & repetitive game. I never had the patience to go very far, it is just (endless ?) grinding.

37. DestroyYourEgo says:

FF8 wasn’t the worst in my eyes, but it definitely wasn’t the best. It kinda sucks Square isn’t taking more time in their beloved franchises to make them more than just a walk down memory lane. Someone posted on Steam a screenshot of the “updated” character models. Apparently it only applies to story characters, as the other “non-cannon” characters looked just as blurry and jagged as the background (like they were literally nothing more than scenery). Ug-ah-lyyyy!

38. austinwoolcock says:

Abby. although Denise`s story is flabbergasting… on wednesday I got themselves a Land Rover Defender from bringing in $9333 this last month an would you believe ten-grand this past month. it’s by-far the most-comfortable job I’ve ever had. I started this 9-months ago and pretty much straight away startad earning over $87… p/h.
    try here……. http://goo.gl/iITlPP

39. SkittleDiddler says:

I haven’t played any FF game since VII, when it originally came out on PC. So there.

40. Rufust Firefly says:

FF8 was a pioneer in a minigame surrounded by a crappy RPG, later picked up by FFX. I used to know a guy who’d made his own physical deck of Triple Triad.

Square Enix should have just released a best-of-minigames collection. I’d probably have bought it just for Chocobo Hot & Cold and Blitzball.

Comment on this story