The Walking This Way Soon Dead: Telltale’s Season 2 Dated

By Alec Meer on December 6th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

If you haven’t finished Telltale’s wildly acclaimed tragedy’n'conversation sim The Walking Dead but do want to know when season two will be released, I’ll tell you right now. December 17th! That’s when you can buy the season pass and play episode 1, for about 18 quid.

If you have finished it and want to know a plot synopsis too, I’ll tell you below, hopefully safe from the innocent, spoiler-averse eyes of the non-finishers.

“Many months have passed since the events seen in Season One of The Walking Dead, and the zombie epidemic has been cured. Everyone is happy. There is no war, famine or disease. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too. Clementine is searching for a cake for her best friend’s birthday party, but discovers that the local bakery has sold out.

What can an ordinary child do to obtain a Victoria sponge when the local supermarket is often just as poorly-stocked – and sometimes worse – than the bakery? As Clementine, you will be tested by situations and dilemmas that will test your money-saving and your instinct for shopping. Your decisions as to icing flavour and actions with regard to what candles to buy will change the story around you, in this sequel to 2012’s Game of the Year.”

Huh, that seems like something of a departure, but I’m sure no-one will object. The Walking Dead Season 2 is open for pre-orders now, if you want to save a pound rather than wait for reviews.

“Many months have passed since the events seen in Season One of The Walking Dead, and Clementine is searching for safety. But what can an ordinary child do to stay alive when the living can be just as bad – and sometimes worse – than the dead? As Clementine, you will be tested by situations and dilemmas that will test your morals and your instinct for survival. Your decisions and actions will change the story around you, in this sequel to 2012’s Game of the Year.”

, , .

1. pilouuuu says:

I love Telltale Games. Hopefully this time there will be more consequences which will have an influence on the ending of the game.

2. Big Murray says:

Had me going for a second.

3. ChairmanYang says:

I felt cheated when I realized how thin the veneer of choice and consequence was in Season 1. It was a well-told story with some thrills and interesting character moments, but if Telltale hasn’t made some significant strides in the actual gameplay, I’ll probably skip Season 2.

• mlaskus says:

I did feel disappointing at first but then I realized that the illusion of choice didn’t really bother me.
      SPOILERS
      My first play-through was a fantastic experience, I empathized with the characters, developed a burning hatred for Kenny, later somewhat mollified by his personal tragedy, and actually cared for Clem. Consequences of my decisions often made me squirm.
      /SPOILERS
      Doing a second play-through was a bad idea, it shattered illusion. However, it hadn’t robbed me of the excellent experience I’ve had with the game already.

• aliksy says:

The first playthrough was so good. I looked at the wiki and decided not to do a second playthrough. It would be great if there were more branches and different outcomes, but I get that they can only do so much.

• Stellar Duck says:

I haven’t played a second time, not because of lack of choice but simply because I’m done. The story is told and I made a huge impact on it.

However, I think I see that impact differently than many others. It was never about changing outcomes or making a difference in what happened. That wasn’t where you had your choice. The ethos of the TWD comics seems to be that mostly you can’t do jack about what happens and that carries nicely here.

I saw the choices in the game, not as a way for Lee to change what happened, but as a way for Lee to discover who he was. The choices in the game defines Lee, not circumstances. It’s a story about Lee and who he is. Not a story about how he saved the day and changed the world. The world can’t be changed, in that universe, it seems. Things are mostly shit and how Lee deals with that is where the choices are.

• Kentauroi says:

That didn’t really bother me so much. TWD didn’t focus it’s choices on huge plot changes, but more on how you wanted to roleplay Lee, and it managed that extremely well.

It’s not the same type of ‘choice and consequence’ you hear brought up by devs like CDPR or Bioware, but in my opinion it manages a much more personal connection to the story and characters, even if it does sacrifice replay value.

4. Stellar Duck says:

At the risk of sounding petty, I’d much rather have the next episode of Wolf Among Us. I’ll certainly get S2 of TWD but I’m so incredibly tired of zombies at the moment that I just can’t bear any more of it.

So, stop wasting time on this TTG and do the next episode. I’ve been waiting moths already.

• draglikepull says:

I’m feeling the same way. I loved The Walking Dead, but the constant delays in episode delivery definitely hurt the experience. And now the same thing seems to be happening with The Wolf Among Us. If you’re going to deliver content episodically, *especially* if story and consequence are central to the appeal, I don’t want to be playing it in drips and drabs over nearly a year. 1 episode a month is fine. 1 episode every maybe 6 weeks or maybe 8 weeks or maybe 10 weeks doesn’t work. At that point I may as well just wait until the whole thing’s out so I can play it at a reasonable pace.

• Stellar Duck says:

As with a certain other long delayed episode, it’s not that I have to wait that annoys me. That’s fine. It’s that I have to wait with no idea of how long while they faff about with other stuff instead of actually finishing what they started (and in this case, what I’ve already paid for).

I don’t mind waiting if there is a clear release date. A month? Two? Doesn’t matter. As long as it’s clearly defined. This way it’s just annoying. So, are they gonna abandon Wolf Among Us to work on their golden goose? Are they planning on delivering something at some point? Fuck knows.

• Noviere says:

I’m a bit cranky about TWAU as well. According to their latest blog post, they will give us an ETA for the next part after the holidays… So we’ll see episode 2 in January I guess. That’s too long between episodes.

• HadToLogin says:

Well, I found where you made a mistake. You bought it (half) a year before Episode 5 is released. You would be much better waiting at least until episode 4 to get out, game would probably also get some serious sales around that time.

Unless you’ve got friends who spoil everything around, that is…

• Turkey says:

TWD is hugely profitable, though. They need TWD to make Fables games.

• Stellar Duck says:

Well, I’ve already paid for Wolf, as have everyone else who are waiting for it. I haven’t seen it sold in separate episodes, so presumably you can only buy seasons. If they can’t budget for a game then that’s really their fault and not something I should care about.

Episodic games are nice but when the wait is unclear as well as long it becomes an exercise in frustration.

5. Pliqu3011 says:

I enjoyed TWD season 1 immensely, but I’m not sure if I will buy this.
    I thought the ending was just perfect, and I never want to play it again, or play a sequel because I’m afraid it will ruin the memory.

6. Ernesto25 says:

Looking forward to it but not sure if i can take another 5 episodes of “your choices matter” oh never mind.

7. cpt_freakout says:

Yessss… my body is ready.

8. DestroyYourEgo says:

I’m over the TV shows and I feel this game is pretentious. Could just be me, as every review everywhere for it I’ve seen has deemed this THE zombie game (“a dramatic experience”, “heartfelt from beginning to end”, “a stroke of genius in zombie lore”). And then I saw someone play it for about an hour, and I was like, “So, when does the fun start?” “Dude, the fun’s been started- you haven’t had fun experiencing this?” was the response.

No. Not at all.

• Lestibournes says:

The Walking Dead is first and foremost a story, and what makes it interesting are the choices you make. I don’t think it would be interesting to watch, but the weight of every decision is where the “fun” lies.

9. austinwoolcock says:

Abby. although Denise`s story is flabbergasting… on wednesday I got themselves a Land Rover Defender from bringing in $9333 this last month an would you believe ten-grand this past month. it’s by-far the most-comfortable job I’ve ever had. I started this 9-months ago and pretty much straight away startad earning over $87… p/h.
    try here……. http://goo.gl/iITlPP