The RPS Bargain Bucket: The Classics

By Cassandra Khaw on December 7th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Spaghetti Monster, help me. It’s sandbox survival week. Maia? Starbound? NEO Scavenger? Spare time, thy name doth now sit in the same hallowed halls as productivity’s ghost. Seriously, though, as awesome as the eternal fight for a full stomach might be, not everyone enjoys wrestling with hostile aliens for tufts of wheat and plant fibres.  For those of you out there who aren’t keen on civilizing intergalactic no man’s lands, this week’s Bargain Bucket for you. (It’s also for everyone who does enjoy open world sandbox games, but dramatic presentation demands a more personalized touch.)

Bundle In A Box
$1.99/£1.22/€1.45 for 5 games

Let’s start with a farewell. According to one of the co-organizers, this is Bundle In a Box’s last hurrah before it retires quietly to Internet history. Which is a shame, really, because Bundle In A Box was always excellent at the whole ‘delivering eclectic games that no one has heard of’ business. That said, their final bundle is potentially their best. If you pay more than the current minimum, you’ll be able to access the likes Rooks Keep, episode 1 and 2 of Cognition, and the rather morbidly amusing The Grave Digger.

The Video Games Awards Nominees Steam Sale
At least 33% off on a lot of great titles.

What better to celebrate and honor the best games of 2013 than by slashing their prices astronomically? Steam might have just ended their autumn sales bonanza but it doesn’t mean that the savings have to stop. The best discount in the lot goes to Tomb Raider, which is now a staggering 80% off in celebration of the annual award ceremonies. if you don’t feel like kicking in with Lara Croft, however, I’d recommend you add Gone Home ($9.99/£7.49/€9.49), DiveKick($4.99/£3.49/€ 4.99), Brothers ($7.49/£5.99/€6.99) and Kentucky Route Zero ($12.49/£9.49/€11.49) to your armament of games if you don’t already possess them.

id Software Complex Pack
$40.84/£24.99/€ 29.82

Take a trip down memory lane with the iD Software Complete Pack. It has a lot of all of their iconic titles — including the ones that everyone didn’t like very much. I’m a bit skeptical about recommending you jump on the chance to purchase the RAGE franchise in its entirety. However, this is as good an oppurtunity as any to work on legitimately completing your DOOM or Quake line-up. (Man, id sure likes empathic titles, don’t they?)

Tropico 4
$5.99/£3.66/€ 4.37

Over at everyone’s favourite pay-what-you-want-bundle-turned-discount-mega-entity, Tropico 4 is rocking an impressively low $5.99/£3.66/€ 4.37. I’m personally not big on the idea of playing the dictator of an island paradise but those who enjoy functioning as El Presidente seem to approve of the fourth installment a fair bit. If you fall in the second camp, you may want to capitalize on this opportunity, you would-be-tyrant-type-person you.

Max Payne 3
$6.99/£4.28/€5.19

Max Payne 3 elicited a mix of responses from both the Internet and critics. Some delighted in its slow-mo sensibilities. Others took affront to them. Mostly, though, people were very, very fond of it. If Max Payne 3 was too expensive for you when it first burst onto stores everywhere, you might be happy to know that Amazon went out of its way to provide you with a drastically more economical package. For just $6.99/£4.28/€5.19, you too can take on the role of a vigilante ex-cop hellbent on revenge after the typically murder of your female family members.

Trine Series
$4.48/£2.74/€3.27 for Trine and Trine 2: Complete Story

Oh, dear. You should get this if you don’t already own the Trine games. Not only is the franchise an excellent co-op experience, it’s also very, very attractive. Not attractive in the ‘you can practically see every pore and beguiling arc of muscle’ sort of way, but attractive in the way that makes games journalists use words like ‘pop-up storybooks’ and ‘fairy tale magic.’ Which should tell you everything you need to know about it, I think.

Company of Heroes 2
$13.59/£10.19/€11.89

EDIT: Seems like the offer for this one is over. Buggerit.

The pitch for Company of Heroes 2 goes something like this: In the world’s darkest hour you are a commander of the Soviet Red Army, entrenched in brutal frontline warfare to free Mother Russia from the Nazi invaders. Enticing, eh? What it doesn’t tell you is that your soldiers will mingle and scream in unprecedented amounts of panic when things go wrong, that snow is an absolute tosser of a natural hazard and that your friends almost always universally seem better than you at this game. It’s excellent. You should get it. I just did.

Also of note

The Book of Unwritten Tales$3.99/£2.44/€2.91
The sovereign rulers of RPS seemed to have loved it. I did too. If you like point & click adventures, this one’s a doozy.

Pixel PiracyNoffin’ if you decide to use the torrent supplied by the devs.
Fancy a side-scrolling 2D, pirate-themed roguelike-like? You do? Well then..

Get Games - 75% on notable titles like BioShock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Borderlands: Game of the Year.
Mostly decent selection of games going cheap. I say ‘mostly’ because it has the Mac version of Duke Nukem: Forever too.

The Indie Gala Codemasters BundlePay more than $5.99 to get 7 games
An opportunity to snag the Overlord series for very cheap? Smashing. (Thanks, Fersken!)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

I have no idea what animal that is this week, except to say that it’s face looks like a butt. Hedgehog?

2. cpt_freakout says:

Does anyone else get the entire post on the main page? Just a heads-up, in case it’s not only my browser.

• Dozer says:

It’s only a missing [fold] tag in the article – nothing to worry about, not a browser fault, RPS just needs to hire better sub-editors.

RPS, would you like to hire me as a sub-editor?

3. Spooty says:

It appears that the Max Payne 3 deal is for US customers only. However, in the UK it appears to be just shy of £9 for the PC DVD version.

4. IncredibleBulk92 says:

Is Company of Heroes 2 worth a pop? It’s been ages since I’ve played a great RTS and I loved CoH 1 but I have no interest in playing RTS games against other people.

Does it improve much on the original? I got the general feeling that it was just a reskinned version of the first one. That’s not necessarily bad but unless it offers much new I doubt I’ll bother with it.

• WinTurkey says:

Get the eastern front mod for Company of Heroes 1, it’s better than 2.

• Vandelay says:

Those that played it more than me will say it has screwed up balance, thus making it a travesty to the series, but I enjoyed my time with it. The single player was quite enjoyable and I had fun with the few online games I played (although I only really played 3 or 4 games.) It is definitely worthy of the price asked for here.

There isn’t much different from the original though and the new bits aren’t particularly great. The new weather mechanics work okay in the single player, but are a pain in multiplayer. It also has an annoying unlock system that is connected to a store. I didn’t see the different commanders making that much of a difference though, whilst the unit leveling seemed so minor that I can’t imagine it having a big effect on balance, but I didn’t play very much to really see. The true sight or whatever they call it was good though, where you only see what your units can see. It allows for a little more sneaky gameplay it what is still a faster paced RTS.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

It’s a worse version of the original.

5. internisus says:

Kentucky Road Zero, May Payne; do you folks need a proofreader?

• Cassandra Khaw says:

No, I just need more coffee. It’s been a long week. x_x Thanks for the catch!

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I liked to imagine May Payne as being a cross between a third person drug-addled shooter and Driving Miss Daisy.

• lowprices says:

A bar. Three men huddle in the corner, discussing nefarious crimes. The door opens. Everyone turns to look at the figure, and falls silent. May Payne.

She hobbles forward, her walking stick feeling the way. The men in the corner eye each other nervously. After a few moments she reaches the table. May looks at each of them in turn, and murmurs:

“Could one of you nice boys tell me where Mendoza is? My memory isn’t what it used to be.”

The men panic, reach for their guns, just as May feels her gammy leg give way.

Time slows to a crawl.

As she falls, May reaches into her enormous handbag and pulls out a revolver. Methodically, she fires a single bullet into each mans skull. One gets a shot off before he dies, and the bullet streaks past her face, scorching the blue rinse of her hair.

Time speeds up again.

May hits the ground. She grunts as she feels her hip break. The barman hurries over.

“Jeez! Can I help you, Ma’am?”

“Oh aren’t you a dear. A bottle of bourbon, and some painkillers.”

• CookPassBabtridge says:

**applause** Where is the damn kickstarter page for this?

• Martel says:

Awesome

• WrenBoy says:

At the very least this should be highlighted in red at the top of the comments. Wonderful stuff.

• AngoraFish says:

Classic.

This is what we need, more diversity in video game characters reflecting the real world in which we live, encouraging inclusiveness, and that doesn’t present a subliminal barrier to old people participating in our hobby.

• thecommoncold says:

May Payne DOES sound like a good chance for a strong female lead… Someone make it!

6. JeCa says:

Ah, I just noticed it’s no longer Lewie writing these, which nicely explains the change of theme. So, no more collaboration with SaveGamer uk?

7. Commander Gun says:

I probably lived under a rock and missed it, but i haven’t seen Lewie writing this column for some time. Did he left RPS?

• Lexx87 says:

He was ‘sacked’ for not complying with editorial policy or something, which I ‘spose is fair enough

• WrenBoy says:

He didnt like the Saturday morning deadline and so the two parted company.

• Universal Quitter says:

If they wanted it to seem amicable, they probably should have left out the “disagreements about deadline policy” thing. It’s really unnecessary information for the public. I can see why they would want to avoid ambiguity, but specificity AND ambiguity combined, like with this, is much, much worse to the imagination.

It makes him sound lazy, disorganized, or irresponsible. I’m sure that he isn’t, and could be convinced that it isn’t what they meant by those words, but a potential employer could certainly read it that way.

• The Random One says:

The he mentions that he felt he wouldn’t be able to perform his job to his own satisfaction makes me think he thought keeping to that deadline might cause him to skip deals that he might otherwise catch, which to me makes him look the opposite of irresponsible. Whatever that is.

• LionsPhil says:

That was my personal take from it, yeah. Although it’s always had comments catching from a wider/later net.

• zapatapon says:

From very partial information in a forum post from Jim, I gather Lewie refused the new RPS strict policy of posting the BB at 11:00 am sharp on the site. Which we can clearly see is now followed to the letter… not.

(In all honesty, I think Cassandra is doing a great job, especially last week I found rather refreshing her tacit decision not to say a word about the elephant in the room that was the steam sale. Still, I miss Lewie’s excellent quip-sized reviews of featured games)

• Cassandra Khaw says:

I get long-winded. ._. Sorry. (Also, I think this week’s special because the usual slot was taken up by the Advent Calendar post.)

And thank you for noticing my refusal to bring up the sales! ;)

• Yosharian says:

I think your comments on each game are succinct and to the point, and no disrespect to Lewie but he was often disparaging and negative, in a very ‘bah humbug’ way, towards games which at worst were polarising.

• Optimaximal says:

I like the fact that the links to offers aren’t buried under reams of referrers.

I understand why they were there, but the best offers were sometimes foreign/grey-market sites, which I wouldn’t touch with a 10-foot pole.

8. MrThingy says:

I feel like the only person that actually enjoyed RAGE? :|

(until the very-very-very-very end ‘boss’ where it got lazy and stupid)

• KDR_11k says:

It was good fun, maybe people were expecting more than a solid FPS. Certainly much more fun than Doom 3. And I liked D3.

• gganate says:

It didn’t have an ending, and I wish it was a bit more developed in the free-roaming/quest area, but it was a really solid shooter. The hospital level with all the mutants and slime, culminating in the final fight with the gigantic boss, was one of the better levels I’ve ever played in a FPS.

• Vandelay says:

The last level was crap and felt like a rush job. The rest was very enjoyable though. I could have done with the bland open world stuff and the racing sections weren’t very satisfying, but the shooting was some of the best in a long time, showing the iD still have it.

• Yosharian says:

“The last level was crap and felt like a rush job”

Yeah, except replace ‘last level’ with ‘most of the game’

• defunct says:

I just got the DLC, the scorchers, on sale, so I’ve been replaying it again. I really love the first part of the game. The races were different, and the different currency to upgrade cars meant I didn’t have to waste money on them, if I didn’t want to. The vehicle combat was fun in the world, and I love being able to make my own weapon devices. The settings were great, too. I didn’t enjoy the last part of the game as much, but it was still fun. It has that ‘let’s just get this over with’ feel, and I almost think it’s intentional for the player to feel that so it doesn’t drag on. Oh, the scorchers addon was lots of fun, too. If you can get it on sale, do it. It blends very nicely with the game and you can access the first part very early on.

• The First Door says:

I loved RAGE too. It was a proper ID shooter, the guns were meaty, fun to use and had different purposes. I really liked the wasteland and thought that the places you visited (especially in the first half of the game) were excellent!

Having said that… when you travel to the second Wasteland, it starts to lose it’s appeal for me. Subway Town just isn’t as fun as Wellsprings. I didn’t care about the people ’cause most of them were arses. A far cry from the characters nearer the beginning!

• malkav11 says:

I’ve never gotten around to finishing it, but yes, I thought it was very good in certain specific ways, it just gave an impression of wanting to do some other, more open world RPG-y things that it didn’t really accomplish. And I suspect that’s the part that a lot of people glommed onto and then used to dismiss the game as being rubbish.

• Deadly Sinner says:

I enjoyed it, but I also played through the whole thing for free. Levels tended to hem you in pretty tight, sound design kind of sucked (the tiny dynamic range seemed to have been optimized for TV speakers), weapons were kind of boring and it was nearly impossible to use the more specialty gadgets (though it could be because I was playing on nightmare), and the difficulty was too easy, even on nightmare.

All of that said, I might have bought it if you weren’t forced to play with another person on Wasteland Legends to record scores and get achievements. The multiplayer was completely dead, even during the free weekend.

• welverin says:

As you can see from the other responses, you were not, and I liked it myself.

The shooty bits were quite good, and the driving alright, I wasn’t even bothered by the ending, though it did come a bit abruptly.

9. Ernesto25 says:

Dammit i knew i should have waited longer for two brothers ah well picked up the other indie games for cheap anyway.

• Vandelay says:

I know I really shouldn’t buy any more games, as I have such a big backlog, but some of those games in that sale are really, really tempting. I will hold out for the moment, but ‘Brothers’, ‘Papers, Please’ and ‘Gone Home’ will be there again during the Xmas sales, begging me to buy them.

10. CookPassBabtridge says:

Anyone notice the VGX Sale tagline? “Binge Responsibly” :) Its like they know us or something ….

11. aleander says:

I feel obliged to mention that you totally can play Tropico as a benevolent dictator type who actually allows proper elections and wins them on the sheer power of being totally awesome (the social simulation is no Democracy 4).

• Fiatil says:

With how easy it is to get overwhelming support in Democracy 4 and change the demographics one might say Tropico’s is even better! A similar amount of political factions to deal with and a lot of ways to pull the strings at least.

• aleander says:

Ah, I’ve only heard horror stories about Democracy 4 and put it in the same bin as “Fate of The World” (the pandas are now dead and IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT”. Oh well then.

12. SpakAttack says:

Company of Heroes is £10.19 at GMG rather than the £8.31 in the article… perhaps an edit is in order?

• Bull0 says:

they’ve got a 20% off voucher thing running, I think. They did the other day, at least.

*edit* Yeah, doesn’t look like that’s a thing, anymore. I think Cassandra must’ve just put the US price in to a currency converter. Helpful…

13. malkav11 says:

I suspect Bundle in a Box is going away precisely because they’ve mostly offered a bunch of games no one has ever heard of, and then to compound that, many of those games are only available as direct downloads and not backed up on a third party service like Desura or Steam. Or at least, that’s why as far as I can recall I’ve never bought from them and I’m usually an inveterate bundle buyer. I appreciate the -option- to direct download, don’t get me wrong, but with digital games I want a) all my games in a few easy to remember spots to redownload (I already have a hard time remembering what I got in which bundle when Steam keys are added), and b) to be reliably -able- to redownload those games at whim. At this point I think it’s reasonable to trust Steam and Desura to be around for the indefinite future, but I wouldn’t be sanguine about small sites like Bundle in a Box.

So, yeah – the games I know I already own (like Cognition…and isn’t it lovely that they’re still only giving out the first two episodes when it’s a 4 or 5 episode series that can only be purchased as a block?) and the other ones…well, if I got them on Steam and Desura, maybe they’d be worth a $3-5 float, collectively, but to sit around on a site I’ll forget about in two days and might be gone in the not too distant future? Nah.

• zapatapon says:

I don’t disagree with you about the practicality of Desura and Steam keys, but your rant seems a little off considering about 3/4 of the games in this bundle in a box come with a Desura key.

• Frank says:

Yeah, I’m curious why they would stop, too. It’s only been a year since the first bundle (of two) I got from them:

The second bundle, back in September, was also pretty good and contained a few familiar names (styrateg, the wasted land, telepath):
      though it was pretty sparse in the platform-keys deapartment (one on Steam, half on Desura).

Anyway, best of luck in future ventures, box folks.

• Jalan says:

The Cognition devs did have a discount running for the remaining episodes of season one but discontinued it back in November. Realistically I would not be surprised to find that the entirety of the game finds its way into a bundle at some point. Discontinuing the discount was a bad move on their part though, since most people aren’t going to pay (full price) for half of something they may already own just to get the other half.

14. Fersken says:

There is a new IndieGala bundle. It includes the IMO very good Overlord series.

15. belgand says:

What happened to Company of Heroes 2? Was there a pricing error or something? I heard someone else cite it as being at approximately that price, but if you follow the link it’s listed at the regular price of $39.99. Putting it into your cart and trying to check out continues to show that price so it doesn’t even appear to be an issue with the advertised price being off.

16. melnificent says:

iD complete collection seems a little short of being complete. The missing ones at first glance appear to be the complete Commander Keen series, Wolfenstein Series, Dangerous Dave series.

17. kalirion says:

Two days left in the http://groupees.com/indie bundle

$1 tier contains:
    QuestRun
    SkyNations
    99 Levels to Hell
    Cognition ep 1+2
    Pyroclism
    Six Sided Sanctuary

$4 tier adds:
    99 Spirits
    Asteria
    Frayed Knights: The Skull of S’makh-Daon

And I find it curious that the two humble bundles are missing from this post, especially since at least one of them was mentioned directly in a RPS article

The primary Humble Jumbo Bundle contains:

Pitiri 1977

Beat the average tier:
    Knytt Underground
    Really Big Sky
    NightSky

• RiffRaff says:

I believe this will be the last chance to purchase multimedia fusion 2 as they are releasing a new version. one of the devs has said on both reddit and steam that you can use the humble version to get a discount upgrade to the new fusion 2.5 until feb 14, just fill out this form. http://www.clickteam.com/upgrade-request . It’s possible they will add steam keys for fusion 2, but reading comments on steam and reddit it seems like they haven’t decided one way or the other yet. I don’t know how good this software is compared to gamemaker (which was free the other day), but it seems to have been used for plenty of good games http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zq1yo0lxOU

I have been playing 99 spirits and found it to be really good actually. I thought there would be a cultural problem with guessing spirits names, but almost everything seems properly translated, and there is an in game item that has a list of spirits in an area to help with the few items that probably couldn’t be changed.

• Geebs says:

Anybody who doesn’t already own Serious Sam BFE should get the latest Humble Bundle for that alone. It is brilliant.

18. austinwoolcock says:

Abby. although Denise`s story is flabbergasting… on wednesday I got themselves a Land Rover Defender from bringing in $9333 this last month an would you believe ten-grand this past month. it’s by-far the most-comfortable job I’ve ever had. I started this 9-months ago and pretty much straight away startad earning over $87… p/h.
    try here……. http://goo.gl/iITlPP

19. Jason Moyer says:

Steam has a pretty good daily sale going on today.

20. The Random One says:

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is 50% off today on Steam, and Jim has failed to match his Humble store price to Steam’s… again

JIM
    JIM
    Y U DO THIS JIM

• Geebs says:

I think Sir could actually do with some more time in development before it gets promoted more; I am a huge fan of Stalker, Thief and System Shock and I have so far bounced off Sir harder than a very hard thing. Mostly because I hate throwing rocks in first person games when the penalty for not having figured out the physics is insta-death :-(

• WrenBoy says:

I would be curious as to whether this is just oversight or whether there is a business reason for discounting on one store only.

21. CaptMurphy says:

Crusader Kings II is 75% off on steam for everything except the most recent DLC (Sons of Abraham, which I’m happy to pass on anyways). Sale runs through Sunday at 1pm EST US and is a great opportunity to pickup any DLC you’ve been waiting on or to get into the game if you haven’t already (for shame!).

22. Owly1939hic says:

Start working at home with Google. It’s the most-financialy rewarding I’ve ever done. On tuesday I got a gorgeous BMW after having earned $8699 this last month. I actually started five months/ago and practically straight away was bringin in at least $96, per-hour. visit this site right here,,,,,http://www.Rush64.com

23. welverin says:

“tomb raider and bioshock infinite game of the year seriously?”

There has to be something else in the category for The Last of Us to crush.

Comment on this story