Wolf Among Us Ep 2 Won’t Be Among Us Until 2014

By Nathan Grayson on December 7th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

'I am a person who is inordinately upset by hands.'

YOU GUYS, YOU GUYS, you’re not going to believe this: there are already wolves among us. Right now. They’re called “dogs,” and we bred them into blind subservience over the course of a few generations. Many of them, however, are capable of reducing humans to blubbering piles of incoherent baby babble with a simple wag of the tail or awkward pawing attempt at a handshake. Who, in this equation, is really man, and who is beast? It’s a chilling thou– oh man look at this puppy! Was I talking about something? Oh hm, episode two of Telltale’s Fables series, The Wolf Among Us, won’t be out until sometime early next year. Bummer.

Telltale made the announcement after revealing the first couple screenshots of the new episode, which include the ever-scheming Jack of Jack and the Beanstalk fame and a seedy underground Fable club called Pudding & Pie. Episode two is “close to completion,” but it’s still got a bit of a ways to go yet – at least, by Telltale standards.

“We wanted to thank everyone for playing the first chapter in The Wolf Among Us, and ask for your patience as the team works very hard this month to finalize what is shaping up to be another episode full of surprises. We’re anticipating another update on its ETA for release very soon after the holidays, and we couldn’t be more excited to continue this series with all of you.”

So early 2014, in other words. It makes sense, too, given that Telltale has stated that its plan is to alternate months with Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead episodes. For reference, the first episode of season two of The Walking Dead is coming out later this month.

But will Wolf Among Us episode two be as wolfamongous (my new favorite superlative, which can only be correctly pronounced in stereotypical surfer accent, followed by the word “brah”) as the first? Here’s hoping. In the meantime, you can sate big-bad-wolf-like appetite (for wolves) with this fat, spoilery chat about the first episode between Graham, Alec, and Adam. There might be wolves among us, but there is also intrigue. It, too, is everywhere.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Didden says:

Your article is barking… mad, Nathan.

2. MuscleHorse says:

I’m glad that Nathan is attempting to readjust the balance of the dog to cat ratio of RPS articles. I have campaigned long and hard against the feline menace.

3. mouton says:

Loved the first episode, looking forward for the rest.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Same here. I might just wait once it is all released to play it over a week, though. All this waiting is quite frustrating, but I guess that is the price of quality for an overextended small games company.

They really have bitten off more than they can chew.

4. Don Reba says:

So, what you are saying is — clumsy dogs make babies talk.

5. TheVGamer says:

As someone who loved Wolf’s debut but hated Walking Dead’s dreary arse, I can’t help but feel slightly tricked. When I’m buying a season pass for an episodic game, I expect them to be delivered in a timely fashion. Good thing Valve never did a season pass…

• Ernesto25 says:

I still crack up listening to gabe on the developer commentary on episode 1. Ah those were the days…..

Edit: and i agree having liked both in my mind it was TWAU would tide me over until the new walking dead would be released (which i assumed would be late 2014 before the annoucement.

• Nihilexistentialist says:

That seems like an odd assumption. Wouldn’t you want it to come out when it’s done instead of adhering to a strict schedule and pushing out something buggy and incomplete? I have no expectations for season passes other than receiving the content itself.

• draglikepull says:

I would rather they lock down their development and get a good lead time on all the episodes before releasing anything. TV shows don’t (usually) film episodes days before they’re released; they film a bunch ahead of time and show the already filmed ones while they’re working on new ones. I think delivering an episodic game on a reliable schedule is vital. It completely breaks up the pacing and detracts from the experience if you have big, unexpected breaks between episodes. How much of TWAU’s 1st episode will I have forgotten by the time the 2nd one is released? (A lot, probably.)

• Mokinokaro says:

Part of it is that Telltale actually adjust their subsequent episodes based on player decisions.

For instance, in Walking Dead season 1 episode 1, they noticed most players did not like a certain character which determined that character’s fate early on while expanding the roles of others.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

That’s a really good point. I’d rather play something that’s late but polished, rather than on time and rubbish. At the same time, I think we would all prefer episodes to be on time and perfect.

Perhaps it’s an issue of planning. Given the limited impact of player choice on story, how player choice affects future episodes could/should be something fleshed out before the first episode is even released – unless they are in the business of throwing the script out of the window and starting anew every episode.

My guess is that it’s a resources issue. I think they can’t afford to have two teams working in parallel (and of sufficient size) to pull off a monthly episodic gaming experience for both Wolf and Walking Dead. Here is to hoping this is something they get better at over time.

• Werthead says:

“TV shows don’t (usually) film episodes days before they’re released;”

On American network television they do. The cable companies have realised that it’s better to film the whole season, edit it and then show it (like HBO or AMC), but the networks like to have a short lead time so they can cancel the show ASAP if it’s not performing well. Some episodes of LOST, back in the day, were being edited literally days before transmission. This continues today with shows like AGENTS OF SHIELD filming less than a month before transmission.

• Kentauroi says:

The thing that annoys me the most is that PC users can ONLY buy the season pass while console users can buy individual episodes. One of the strengths of episodic gaming is supposed to be you can try the first bit for a reduced price and see if you want to buy the rest…

• Werthead says:

I think it’s more the case that their success has allowed them to get big enough to have two teams: one working on THE WALKING DEAD II and the other on THE WOLF AMONG US. Combining both teams to work on one game wouldn’t necessarily get the episodes out any faster (too many cooks etc), and they can use both teams to increase their output overall.

From their announcement yesterday, it looks like they’ll do the same thing next year when they’ll be alternating episodes of GAME OF THRONES with TALES FROM THE BORDERLANDS.

6. daphne says:

Bummer for an early 2014 release?

Dude, it’s December 2013. Chin up!

7. Yosharian says:

I think it’s kinda ridiculous to have such long waits between these episodes… I mean Ep 1 lasted all of 2 hours. If I had known this in advance, I wouldn’t have bothered buying it so early.

8. austinwoolcock says:

Abby. although Denise`s story is flabbergasting… on wednesday I got themselves a Land Rover Defender from bringing in $9333 this last month an would you believe ten-grand this past month. it’s by-far the most-comfortable job I’ve ever had. I started this 9-months ago and pretty much straight away startad earning over $87… p/h.
    try here……. http://goo.gl/iITlPP

9. quarpec says:

fables is an awful comic and that blonde guy is literally a rapist

• colossalstrikepackage says:

And the Walking Dead is the most depressing load of drivel that I ever read. It was like a tabloid on steroids – showcasing the worst aspects of animal nature in humans.

But Telltale took that world and made something so beautiful. And I think they are on the way to doing something similarly commendable with Fables, based on the strength of that first episode.

• Eskatos says:

Are we supposed to feel outraged that a fictional character is a rapist?

10. kdz says:

Eh, if they release it in January then it’s not too bad, but still, pretty disappointing, simply because the first episode was SO AMAZING. I found it to be really moving in some very subtle ways and can’t wait for the story to continue.

Is the comics series anything like this? It’s on my “comics to read” list, but since I picked this up hobby in February of this year the list is very, very long.

• altum videtur says:

DO TRANSMETROPOLITAN ALREADY

• Shezo says:

Nope, comic series are not quite like the game.
      Less focused, more diluted, sort of.
      A bit overblown also, i mean, it’s ~140 issues in the span of 10 years.
      Also, personalities are changed a bit in the game, can lead to some disappointment

11. pilouuuu says:

Game of Thrones and Borderlands confirmed from Telltale!

12. Phantom_Renegade says:

This puzzles me as it’s clearly not a resource issue as they’ve just announced two more games, which would mean they’re working on 4 things. I get the whole ‘release when done’ thing, but when I’ve already paid I’d prefer they at least try to keep to a schedule. I bought a season pass for BTTF and Walking Dead and now Wolf Among us, with the expectation that two months was the most I’d be waiting. And it’s not just the delaying, it’s the lack of communication. It’s been quite a bit since episode one and only now they’re announcing it’s going to be 2014. And not even an actual date, or rough estimate, no, just 2014. I’ll wait until the whole thing is done and Steam Sale discounted for future stuff. Episodic gaming needs a solid schedule, otherwise what’s the difference between this and early access?

13. Turkey says:

That’s not a staring eyes. They’re not even looking at the camera!

14. Rincewind says:

I find comments like this somewhat bizarre. Telltale has a track record here. If you went into this completely blind, unaware that they tend to several months between each episode, you really have only yourself to blame. Episode 1 of the Walking Dead came out in April 2012, and Episode 5 wasn’t release until late November 2012.

Furthermore, the entire concept of ordering a season pass is that things will not be coming out immediately. The entire concept of purchasing it rests around agreeing that you will have to wait! And then you complain when the wait is too long, or are somehow flabbergasted at the idea that Telltale’s scheduling is opaque, when it has always been opaque, when since the company’s beginning almost a decade ago they have not provided schedules in advance for their episodic content.

You also complain about having to wait until the steam sale next year to buy all five episodes for cheap, but what possible benefit could that have for you if you liked the content? You’re now waiting even longer than before!

15. Rikard Peterson says:

On the other hand, if I’m not mistaken, Telltale has a good track record with getting their episodes out regularly. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, haven’t all their series (with the exception of Bone) come out in a regular pace? I think they’ve earned that trust, even if they don’t dare to make their schedule public. (There’d probably be a lot of angry internet people if they announced a series of dates that they later found they wouldn’t be able to keep.)

16. brat-sampson says:

They used to be significantly more regular. You’d typically get one per month even if that meant the first came out in the first week of month one and by the end it was scraping the barrel of month whatever. Episode 1 of TWAU came out in early October. That’ll be 3 months between that and episode two. On a day when they’ve announced *two* new franchises for release next year.

This doesn’t strike me as a situation likely to get better before it gets worse.

Comment on this story