New Titanfall Trailers Take Cues From Star Citizen

By Nathan Grayson on December 10th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Soldier: 'Oh nutterbutters.' *explodes*

Is your game about colossal, god-stomping futuristic machines of destruction most profound? Then make a soothingly voiced “commercial” about them. That seems to be the conventional wisdom of our time, at least if Star Citizen and now Titanfall are anything to go on. It’s a clever tactic, but especially in Titanfall’s case, it also leads to some weird subtext. “Military grade ultra-weapons,” it essentially says in a disarmingly calm growl. “Friends and inspirations to us all and also waterfalls for some reason!” But hey, there’s game/weapon marketing for you. Titanfall really does continue to look utterly smashing, though.

So we’ve got the big, trundling rhino mech who can tank for both other mechs and – in yet another intriguing instance of mech/infantry synergy – all-too-squishy ground troops, and its polar opposite: the fastest largely synthetic creature this side of a doped up Tour De France competitor.

Both look quite capable in their own rights, though they’re obviously pretty basic mech archetypes in the grand scheme of things. Maybe we’ll see some more unique mech classes in the future? Here’s hoping.

Titanfall will be out in March of next year. Though it’s an Xbox exclusive on the console side of things, it won’t suffer any sort of delay¬†on PC, nor will it require Windows 8.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

I can’t really understand all the hype behind the game. Most of it seems centered around the fact “You pilotz der mechz” Which plays no differently then playing as the people on the ground. Add in the generic art style and I just can’t help but shrug my shoulders and go back to playing UT2004.

• toasthaste says:

Yeah, I had high hopes that mech games were returning but these small, agile robots that seem to be the trend are hardly mechs at all.

I want my giant, stompy, ponderous robots!

• Cinek says:

Sadly noone seems to bother with that. Right now there’s just one game with big stompy Mechs: Mechwarrior: Online. And It’s broken beyond repair – since the release every patch introduced new bugs, and many of the issues from closed alpha (!!!!) are still there. We’re in hopeless situation.

• Moraven says:

Heavy Gear, Terra Nova and other body suit games are good to mix in with tank mechs.

• KDR_11k says:

There’s MAV: http://www.bombdogstudios.com/

Mechs don’t have to be slow and stompy but they do have to offer some major difference to regular FPS combat. Armored core’s mechs feel nothing like FPS soldiers but they are more like a cross between a fighter jet and a helicopter gunship. Where the travel speed of rifle bullets matters because the other guy might boost out of the way.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

You’re right – it’s not a paradigm shift. However it is a symptom of the rubbish gracing our gaming hardware that even something a little different gets this hype. Also, the pedigree behind it makes one curious.

• Maxheadroom says:

Me too. Doesnt look all that different from all the other countless manshooters out there.
      Maybe we’re getting old

also, music today is just noise

• Stardreamer says:

Getting old might be right. I’m thinking I’ve gone off games where combat is the point of the game. I need more. A story, perhaps, giving a reason for the combat. I need in-game breaks from the combat. But these multiplayer shooters and MOBAs and whatnot have nothing to offer bar the adrenal rush of killing things, iterated endlessly with gimmick after gimmick (Hawken = Shooting, in Mechs!)

• dmoe says:

“But these multiplayer shooters and MOBAs and whatnot have nothing to offer bar the adrenal rush of killing things, iterated endlessly with gimmick after gimmick.”

Gimmick? Are you serious? I swear you RPS folk and your inane comments about games/genre you either have never played before or would have never bothered with but speak about them with the utmost knowledgeable confidence. I see this same sort of comment on this a lot on this site. I guess if it’s not some 2d retro graphics indie title trying to teach you about transgender issues or some kickstarter pipe dream, it’s banal. You guys are hilarious :)

• PegasusOrgans says:

I’m sorry, but “Kickstarter pipe-dream”? Really? Especially now, when we’re getting/got about 4 major Kickstarter projects releasing very promising alphas/betas/demos and some coming out in Jan/Feb of ’014??!! It seems the only pipe-dream is your opinion of Kickstarter based PC games. BTW, you also must have missed all the already-released Kickstarter games, of which there are many.

• KDR_11k says:

I too want more than combat though usually I’m not looking for a story, I’m looking for a larger objective (within the game mechanics). A goal I’m fighting for, not just an arbitrary kill count target. Whether that’s taking the enemy’s hide and building a weapon out of it or fighting my way to a base to conquer it.

• Gap Gen says:

The parcour stuff looks interesting, too.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

It’s a game that combines slower mech gameplay with fast-paced jetpack+parkour that has the potential to create an interesting dynamic. There are also several possible metagames, with mechs holding grounds and fighting other mechs, more experienced players wall-running and fighting on rooftops and the more inexperienced player still contributing by killing the robot mooks on the ground.

People saying this looks like any other CoD games is absolutely devoid of any sense of nuance. Like the CoD playerbase.

• dmoe says:

This is RPS. They already know how it plays because GUNS AND YOU KILL THINGS.

• KDR_11k says:

Its the combat that looks very CoD-y to me. No matter how you move around the map or what the objectives are, as long as it’s CoD’s hide and seek combat it feels the same.

• reggiep says:

There’s quite a bit of potential for new skill-based tactics with jetpacks, agile robots and the like. The fact that you can’t understand why people would be excited about that says more about your own imagination than the imagination of the developers behind Titanfall.

The game has tremendous potential to be very fun. For one, there will likely be a limited number of Titans on the battlefield. So instead of just a mindless “kill everything you see” play style, people on a team are going to be more successful if they work together and strategize around the Titan players.

It’s exciting stuff.

• Celuden says:

It’s Call of Duty as it should have evolved two games after Modern Warfare. People are excited for the next step in that particular format of arena shooter. Personally I’ve been refraining from involving myself with Call of Duty in favor of waiting for a more “evolved” version to come out. This is clearly that evolution. Plenty of people like the general format of Call of Duty but hate the game’s core. This changes it up significantly enough to be distinct.

2. colossalstrikepackage says:

Not require windows 8? Happy days.

Here’s to hoping that EA don’t frack up the release on Origin.

• BoMbY says:

Good luck with that.

This game will also be a total fuckup, just like all the other stuff from EA lately. Wouldn’t recommend to pre-order this, and better wait until the beta (one year after the release, or something) is over.

3. mauzed says:

The hype is because the game plays really good.

4. Cinek says:

“New Titanfall Trailers Take Cues From Star Citizen” – only it doesn’t look even half as good as Star Citizen.
    Obviously they can’t deliver gameplay – it’s just yet another generic sci-fi shooter – so one could hope at least for good graphics. Sadly it’s not the case either.

• KillahMate says:

Not only does the game not look as good as SC, *these trailers* aren’t nearly as well-done as the SC ones. I could buy those as actual corporate marketing material, while these Titanfall clips look like a B-movie’s idea of a commercial.

One would think that all that EA money could at least buy superior marketing.

• Walsh says:

Maybe SC should take a cue from EA and not waste my kickstarter dollars on fancy advertisements for pay to win ships for a vaporware game.

• Arglebargle says:

Roberts is rolling on selling the fantasy. It’s great, because in each buyer’s mind, it’s a perfect fit. And as a hack Hollywood producer, this fits his skill set. There’s one born every minute, so why shouldn’t they buy another of his fantasy ships?

• borkbork says:

Maybe you should consider reading up more on games before knocking them?

• Syra says:

It looks good in a different way, and these trailers are for VGX what did you expect, high class?

• Werthead says:

In a MOAR GRAPHIX face-off, Source Engine (albeit updated) vs. CryEngine is only going to ever end in Source’s defeat.

That said, gameplay is more important. I’m assuming that Respawn looked at other engines (including CryEngine) and settled on Source because it could give them the best trade-off between looks and speed.

• KillahMate says:

Actually they picked it because, once upon a time when it was relevant for Titanfall, Source was the best cross-platform option. Meaning it ran well on the PS3. The developers did make it clear that the Source renderer has been completely replaced by their custom solution (whatever that means), so comparing it to Cryengine is perfectly fair in my opinion. Expecting pretty grafix from the people who brought you Modern Warfare 2, on the other hand, may not be fair.

• dmoe says:

RPS gon’ RPS.

5. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

12 seconds into the video, that logo. How is the top part staying in place? It appears to just defy gravity entirely!

6. Shadowcat says:

I notice that their “live tests” involve killing their own infantry.

Do you think they explained the aim of the exercise to the volunteers?

• Tams80 says:

It’s a world in which military hardware is marketed like consumer electronics. If society had reached that point, then I wouldn’t put it past them. That and they had such an insecure testing area, that the enemy could infiltrate it.

Star Citizen at least has an excuse; space adventure is often freelancers/privateers.

• Erinduck says:

The infantry are robots. Look closer.

7. Aaarrrggghhh says:

Exactly my thoughts when I saw these during the VGX (lamest show on earth by the way). The Ogre commercial is like a total Star Citizen “rip off”. Granted, it’s not like SC invented commercials but the parallels are so clear, it’s not even like they try to hide it.

8. Ham Solo says:

Well, Mechwarrior Online has changed alot from what it wanted to become, with third person camera and consumables (which backers were promised would never happen because MW:O was not that kind of casual f2p pay to win cash cow) among the bigger issues. So there is room for alternatives.

9. tigerfort says:

I want to see a one-legged specialist mech. Here’s hopping!

10. scumblr says:

Hoorah for late capitalism, where we are entertained by simulated commercials that sell us things by pretending to sell us things.

11. zerosociety says:

So I went to the park with my girlfriend and she said, “Emily, look at all these lovely trees and lights!”

But then I was all “Whatever, CoD has trees and lights. It’s all just like CoD, meh.”

But seriously, I find myself deeply curious how many of the “Titanfall is just like CoD” people have played CoD or actually enjoy multiplayer FPS’s. I mean, all MOBAs and RTSesseses, sports games and Roguelikes look the same to me, and terminally boring to boot, but I don’t hop on here whenever they’re mentioned to harp on that.

If you play and understand FPS games then you might have a better feel for the fact that Crysis isn’t CoD isn’t Brink isn’t Planetside isn’t Hawken and that people who do like those things are allowed to be interested when something comes along with a different take on things. And say what you like, but a mixed mech and parkour/jetpack infantry game with evolving mission goals sounds like an interesting dynamic to a lot of FPS players. Just because there are guns and men shooting them does not make a CoD clone.

I mean, bro, do you even CoD? :)

Comment on this story