Play Duke Nukem 3D Forever With Steam Workshop Support

By Graham Smith on December 11th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

In reality, I'd probably bet on this guy.

Want to play Duke Nukem forever? No, not Forever, the infamous, trashy, awful recent sequel. I mean, do you want to spend an eternity playing Duke Nukem 3D, the spirited, mechanically inventive, first-person shooter that made the King’s name in the first place? The Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition released back in March has just added Steam Workshop support and made it easier to mod and play mods for the game than in its previous sixteen year history.

Duke Nukem 3D was once a bustling hive of modding activity, and even in recent years has played home to some impressive work such as this mod based on Duke Nukem Forever’s 2001 E3 trailer. The productivity of the community at the time was due to the ease of building in the Build engine and its simple map editor.

Now that these old games are being modernised, I’m curious whether the modding communities that once flourished beneath them re-emerge in some form. The simpler geometry of its environments makes a game like Duke Nukem 3D a potentially great entry-level tools for people who want to get into first-person shooter design. To that end, the dev team have put together a guide on how to publish to the Workshop for those who do want to get involved. If you’d rather just play instead, the Workshop already contains over 60 new maps.

Here’s the original launch trailer from the Megaton edition:

The game is 75% off until December 16th, making it just £1.74 to find out why people once cared so much about the series.

, , , , .

1. Darth Gangrel says:

I got the Megaton Edition, as well as other old school shooters, from the Humble Weekly Retro Shooter sale so I’m glad my investment in it has become even better.

2. The Random One says:

Because I am a morality tale against conspicuous consumption, I don’t know if I have this game or not, but if I do, it’s probably on GoG, so Workshop support does nothing for me :/

3. acheron says:

My 8 year old self would like to remind you that the game that made Duke’s name in the first place was a side-scroller, and the FPS came later.

• Sidewinder says:

My eight-year-old self thanks yours for not making him be the one who points that out, so that he can go back to playing it.

DrScuttles says:

He wore a mean pink shirt back then, too.

FunnyB says:

And if I remember correctly, he only went after Dr Proton because he interrupted the TV transmissions when Duke wanted to see Oprah…..

• Neurotic says:

He got his pink shirts from the same shop as Commander Keen. :D

4. Hunam says:

Did they ever add the MP into the steam version? Because I recall it wasn’t part of the package on day one?

5. JD Ogre says:

Damn. Makes me wish I could find the level I’d made based on the layout of the basement of the Scarlet Bard inn (the first dungeon) from the original Bard’s Tale and share it with the world. I was quite proud of it, Back In The Day.

• AshRolls says:

I regret to this day losing the files of the Duke Nukem 3D level I made that was based inside a public aquarium. Pistols and Laser trip mines only…. so much fun at LAN parties!

6. iseemonkeys says:

Does anyone know where I could find a custom map for Duke Nukem 3d that was based on Jurassic park? I cant find a copy of it in like 15 years. Anyone know what I’m talking about? I really loved this map and would like to find it again. I’m not talking bout the conversion but a custom map.

7. HardDominator says:

Without checking: does doom already have this? Would be great.