Report: Bethesda Casting Voice Actors For Fallout 4

By Nathan Grayson on December 11th, 2013 at 10:00 pm.

All of that Fallout 4 build-up was a giant hoax. Let’s face it: Fallout 4 will probably never happen. I mean, why would anyone make a sequel to a massively successful reinvention of a legendary franchise? It just doesn’t make any sense. I shouldn’t have gotten my hopes up or fashioned a suit of power armor out of my ultra-sexy 2007 Honda Fit or any of that. It was all for naught… unless! It actually wasn’t for naught at all. Of course Bethesda is making Fallout 4, and Kotaku‘s obtained some casting documents that allegedly prove it. Also included: possible first story details.

Kotaku claims that it’s been able to confirm that the documents are real, though Bethesda declined to comment. The project is codenamed “Institute,” which you might recognize as the name of Fallout’s version of MIT. Between that and a number of other locations mentioned in scripts and character descriptions, it seems like the game will be set in and around Boston, Massachusetts – aka, The Commonwealth.

Other interesting details include background on the player character, for whom Bethesda is seeking male and female voices. That alone seems to suggest that “you” could function as a more fleshed-out, vocal presence in this one. At the very least, though, your character will be taking over opening monologue duties. Sorry, Ron Perlman.

Apparently you begin the game by awakening from cryo-sleep, a living relic of times not cracked and scarred by impossible desperation. “War. War never changes,” your character narrates – presumably prior to entering cryo-sleep – before launching into a tale of nuclear power, the unraveling of the American Dream, and the beginning of “total war.” He/she was once in the army and fears that their family won’t be safe in these increasingly troubled times. Unless their spouse and child end up being in the pods right next to them, I imagine their “told you so” will ring pretty hollow.

Other characters revealed include a radio DJ named Travis Miles and an engineer described as “a cross between Vin Diesel and Buddy Holly.” However, all of these details could end up entirely moot given that game development is less a smooth road and more of, well, an unpredictable wasteland. Also, non-finalized details are sometimes fabricated for casting calls to give actors something to work with, so that’s a possibility as well.

So take it all with a grain of salt for now. Still though, we could well be looking at the first concrete information on the next Fallout. What do you think?

, , .

1. aliksy says:

Meh. Unless they really changed something up, I’ll get it when the inevitable GOTY edition with 4 DLC are released. I find myself less and less excited by iterative franchises. Give me something new.

• Maxheadroom says:

This.
      A pre-bomb game set during the building of the vaults might be good, but I suspect that it’ll be more yellowy-brown wasteland.

2. Ultra Superior says:

Hoax

3. Carr0t says:

Splinter Cell wasn’t Splinter Cell without Michael Ironside. Fallout 4 won’t be Fallout without Ron Perlman. The voice is everything.

• Discopanda says:

Maybe this will finally be the Fallout where we get to play as Ron Perlman?

• Solidstate89 says:

Agreed, there’s nothing that Ron Perlman doesn’t instantly make better.

• TWChristine says:

*raises hand* I’m not sure there’s any way to un-creepy the Beauty and the Beast tv show..

• Turkey says:

I dunno, Ron’s been in a lot of crap.

• povu says:

Yeah, because Ron Perlman voiced the games from start to finish.

• Syra says:

Yes he has indeed as he narrates both the opening and closing scenes of the game and has done so since the very first game. Fallout needs him, as any true fan is well aware.

• Freud says:

Any true fan complains about everything made after Fallout 2 on No Mutants Allowed.

• apocraphyn says:

Ooh, come now. The true fans complain about Fallout 2 just as much as Bethesda’s efforts. Too tongue-in-cheek, y’know.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

No no no. The true fans only play Wasteland, of which Fallout was only a shoddy remake. Fallout 1 is way to mainstream.

• Zekiel says:

I loved the opening narration of Fallout 2.

I loved Fallout New Vegas.

But… I didn’t love the opening narration of Fallout New Vegas. “War… War never changes” felt like a catchphrase, rather than a line that actually made any sense.

Sorry Ron. I love you really.

• 2late2die says:

Poppycock! Blacklist was a great game and a return to form for the franchise and while it would’ve been nice to have Ironside in it, it wasn’t that huge of a loss. As for Fallout, I honestly don’t get the obsession with Perlman – at least Ironside used to do the entire dialogue for a character, all Perlman does is the intro and the outro (it’s a word! yes it is!) – colour me unimpressed.

4. MiniMatt says:

Just for giggles perhaps Quinns could audition?

I’m sure he could phone his part in :)

(poor sod, I am sorry, he’ll never live that WIT down!)

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

Cyberpunk 2077 is what I thought for some reason. As in another open world RPG they really need to hurry up and make some concrete announcements about

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Pfft it’s just gonna be Witcher with guns…
      A MALE CYBER CRIME WORLD SIMULATOR simulation.

6. Universal Quitter says:

So will this be the Fallout that introduces the fully-voiced and mo-capped FemLoWanderer?

7. Blackcompany says:

Still waiting to hear details on the game engine. I’m hesitant already, though, seeing as how its Bethesda and not Obsidian. About half way through FO3, the writing dropped off considerably. And its truly dreadful in Skyrim to boot. But I might be able to overlook dreadful writing in a video game with immersive environments and fun mechanics.

All of which is to say that, if they’re making on the Creation Engine (aka, Gamebryo 1.5) then forget it.

• WedgeJAntilles says:

I’m just hoping it has more colors than just “brown” and “greenish-brown”.

8. SkittleDiddler says:

Are Bethesda going to go the usual route and only hire 4-5 NPC voice actors? If so, they certainly won’t have to waste much time on a casting call.

• Universal Quitter says:

The only thing worse than the 4-5 voice actors is the 4-5 lines each character (or archetype, really) usually has, sometimes with their different lines not even sharing the same actor, or if they do, having an incredibly different inflection and pitch.

It certainly doesn’t make the game look very polished when an NPC starts behaving like a schizophrenic.

• Kadayi says:

With the massively increased size of disc space with the move to Blu-ray with next gen I’d expect Bethesda to take advantage and add much more spoken dialogue in future titles. It’s often overlooked but one of the big limitations of the last gen was the necessity to fit entire games with all associate assets onto single DVDs in order to avoid penalty licensing charges on the 360.

• Syra says:

Would be hilarious if all the actors were from Boston for this one….

• tyren says:

I think Skyrim did have more variety than the Fallout games and Oblivion did. You’d still hear the same voices but it was a lot less painfully obvious.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

They had a larger cast for the “misc” voices I think. And they actually used Scandinavian actors for the Nord voices (and told half of them to sound like Arnold Conan for some reason).
        It’s way ahead of Oblivion and Fallout 3. I have pretty high hopes for their next game in that department.

• Shooop says:

/comments section

9. Mr Propellerhead says:

I wish they were auditioning for a better game engine. :|

10. Farcelet says:

Have you seen my father? Middle aged guy?

11. Maritz says:

I remember being so, so excited when Fallout 2 came out, because the first one was and still is my favourite game. But the thought of another Bethesda-developed Fallout just leaves me utterly cold. I couldn’t bring myself to even bother finishing Fallout 3.

• Kubrick Stare Nun says:

The first one is still my favorite too, not even Fallout 2 and New Vegas could overcome it in terms of immersiveness and nor could any of them deliver more impacting intros or endings. I think the series went wrong when the main quests lost their centrality and urgency both in plot and gameplay.

jrodman says:

Fallout 1 was *compact*. There’s so many great things that come out of that.

• Syra says:

The thing was if you roll through the water chip questing you end up more or less in the freedom of fallout2 anyway.. I only really felt pressured the first time I played and even though it’s a great game I do prefer the second one for sheer content, it was the developers confidence just flexing their muscles which made it so deep.

• LionsPhil says:

Yes. One of the reasons I love FO1 so much is that it felt much more like an RPG session with an objective than most CRPGs. Most of the things I was doing in it were, in some way, to aid hunting down leads on that chip.

12. zeekthegeek says:

This is literally the plot that the Hoax guy was implying, I doubt it’s real.

• HadToLogin says:

Actually, this is a story FO3 was implying. With Bethesda’s trip to Boston further confirming.

And seeing how Bethesda had to work together with that guy making hoax (imagine sh!tstorm if this would turn out to be some 2d-mario like game, not only from disappointed players, but from lawyers who would scream “why you didn’t deny it and now everyone knows about his game, because they thought it’s your game, while we can’t sue him because he never used name Fallout!”)…

• Werthead says:

Not really.

The hoax storyline: you are the last survivor of Vault 119, located outside Quabbin Reservoir west of Boston. Radio distress calls from the settlement of Black Row (Merchants Row, Boston) lead you there and into the battle with the unknown enemy forces, who have either captured the Institute and turned its technology against everyone else, or the people running the Institute have gone nuts and decided to conquer the region or something.

This storyline: you’re a soldier on the evening of WWIII in 2077. For whatever reason, you’re put in suspended animation and are woken 200+ years to later to find the world all messed up and have to get by.

To be frank, the hoax storyline sounds a bit more interesting at this stage.

13. damnsalvation says:

You know how I know this is a hoax?
    Bethesda only uses the same 3 voice actors for everything.

[Edit: I really hope its for real]

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

This was my thought as well. Either Hoax-Guy got a very good reading from Ms. Cleo, or this is a farce too.

• The Random One says:

Maybe they have to cast three new people this time.

• Zekiel says:

But, but as well as 3 actors who voice everything they ALSO employ 1-2 Incredibly Well Known Personalities to voice 1 or 2 key characters (ideally ones who get killed off really early so they don’t have to spend too much money).

So that’s at least 4 actors they need!

My goodness I hate Bethseda’s approach to casting.

14. Fattsanta says:

Could not be more pumped, New Vegas was my favorite game for a few years.

Smashbox says:

As a Bostonian who loves fallout, I am pumped!

• HadToLogin says:

But it’s not New Vegas. It’s Fallout 3 2.

• Stompopolos says:

Would you care to share more details about your time spent playing the game, HadToLogin? Or are you under an NDA?

• EnragedPixel says:

The fact that it is being made by Bethesda and not Obsidian would imply that this still hypothetical game would be more akin to Fallout 3 than New Vegas. Just sayin’.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I hope Fallout 4 is to Fallout 3 what Skyrim was to Oblivion.

15. MultiVaC says:

Not really liking the idea of a non-Ron Perlman intro. I guess war has changed.

16. RiffRaff says:

hopefully they will have figured out from past efforts that random people you dragged into the office from the street do not count as voice actors.

apart from Ron Perlman naturally, in fact can we have the entire game narrated by him please, bastion style.

• Geen says:

I want Perlman to team up with Morgan Freeman and whoever the hell the Bastion narrator was, and make a voice of pure gold.

• Blackcompany says:

That would be a Mr. Logan Cunningham, and I do believe that such a team as you suggest here might result in a voice actor so profoundly perfect that I would rather listen to them talk than be distracted by any game I might try to play whilst they do so.

Also…Mr. Cunningham will return next year in Supergiant’s Transitor. As a talking sword. In a cyberpunk setting. Which I do believe might well make it a place akin to gaming utopia.

17. Sidewinder says:

Why don’t they just hire Ron Perlman to be the player character’s voice? Who would object? Some may claim that he’s not female, but the obvious counterpoint to that is that he’s Ron Perlman.

18. Oklahoma Jones says:

I love my ultra-sexy 2007 Honda Fit too.

• djbriandamage says:

So do I! And fun fact – in Holland (and maybe elsewhere in Europe) they call it the Honda Jazz! How classy is that?

Earl-Grey says:

*GASP* My nipples explode with anticipation.

Dear Bethesda, and other Big Busy Business Businesses, if you’re planning on milking whatever cash cow you’ve got chained up in your IP-basement, just fucking tell me.
    I certainly won’t give a shit until the damn thing is out and thoroughly reviewed by someone I trust.
    -well, unless it’s Quinns, he was a bit of a twat with New Vegas, bless him.

20. SominiTheCommenter says:

Voiced Player Character?
    Pete Heines played Mass Effect, only took him 5 years…

• EnragedPixel says:

Great… Yet another voice track i have to click through.

21. Freud says:

Please tell me that they have a new engine for this.

• mukuste says:

Presumably Skyrim engine this time around.

• LionsPhil says:

So, no then.

• Werthead says:

It’s the Creation Engine again, or basically what they used for SKYRIM. The problem is that the Creation Engine is just an incremental upgrade to the GameBryo Engine they’ve been using since MORROWIND (11 years ago!).

Stellar Duck says:

I’m always a bit amused when people play Skyrim and don’t notice all the same flaws, faults, creaks and general crummyness of the engine as in all the other games and claims with a straight face that it’s a new one.

22. tsmike says:

Hate to be a killjoy, but that does look fake to me. That dialogue looks like it’s written for a movie, not a game. Not to mention, surely Bethesda aren’t stupid enough to give the player a voice and not have Ron Perlman in it. Also, “we can confirm this is real” is not very reassuring (especially considering it’s Kotaku) and it kind of goes hand in hand against “Bethesda refused to comment”.

Just your typical Kotaku clickbait, looking for a burst in ad revenue by taking advantage of the recent Fallout 4 hype.

23. Strangerator says:

Having just finished Fallout: New Vegas, three years after its release, I have to say I prefer playing this type of game that way. So I’ll probably play Fallout 4 sometime around 2020?

Voiced protagonist is something I don’t mind too much, although it does lengthen conversations and lend things a more cinematic feel. Concerning to me is the tendency of this type of dialogue to funnel plotlines down more narrow channels, simply because each conversation requires twice as much voice acting.

Also I wonder, will this be the iteration where enough complexity will be removed that I become bored with the lack of customization? Bethesda has shown their love of streamlining with the Elder Scrolls series, I just hope that FO4 will actually have SPECIAL stats, and enough perks and skills to retain that feel.

Just as a neat little alternate reality thought excercise… what if Fallout combat and perspective became something more like the modern XCOM? I know we’re too far down the FPS path now to change, but that would have been loads of fun.

24. sharkh20 says:

I was disappointed by Fallout 3 to the point where I will have to pass. If Obsidian makes one, I will pick that up in an instant. New Vegas was amazing.

25. dethtoll says:

I call fake, simply because A) Bethesda actually cares too much about the IP (haters to the left) to drop Ron Perlman and 2) that intro doesn’t make sense in the history of the series. It’s always been done by an Ronmniscient Perlra… I can’t mash “Perlman” and “narrator” together so just pretend I did — so why would they have it read by the protagonist? Especially since the protagonist has ALWAYS been an AFGNCAAP, and that goes for Bethsoft’s flagship series Elder Scrolls too, so who the fuck would be voicing this?

26. bladedsmoke says:

Fallout 3 was pretty shit. This will be pretty shit. Bethesda are pretty shit. Skyrim was pretty shit. Everything is pretty shit.

Obsidian and New Vegas are both pretty good though.

• Werthead says:

What do you think of the prospects for Elder Scrolls Online?

• bladedsmoke says:

I expect you have anticipated the scatological bent to which my judgement of Bethesda is inclined.

27. skyturnedred says:

I want Fallout 4: Canada, winter wasteland. Or South America. Or Europe. Anything. We’ve seen the US of A already a bunch of times, I wish they would change it up a bit.

• Fumarole says:

Canada is part of the US in Fallout lore. Well, it was before two brief hours in 2077.

• LionsPhil says:

I think the idea in FO lore is that American “won” the nuclear exchange, and everywhere else is even more barren and lifeless.

I’m sure, even if I’m right, that’s open to being retconned as soon as a publisher thinks it’ll be worth doing a Cor Blimey Guv’nor, Fish And Chip Fallout: London.

Edit: OK, the closest to a solid canon answer I can find is a comment by one of the FO1 designers.

28. bstard says:

In a perfect world there’s no Half-life 3, no Fallout 4 and expecially no CrusaderKings 3. Just an endless void filled with RomeTotalFail2 DLC. DLC that can be pre-ordered but will never be released.

29. theoriginaled says:

Cryo sleep my ass. If its the institute and you wake up in a tube, youre an android.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

That’s the incredibly written plot twist. ;)

30. Jerakal says:

It may seem like people are overreacting about the Ron Perlman thing, but consider this non-fallout diehards. If the next entry in your favorite game series was tentatively announced, and of the few details given, one of them is the removal of an iconic part of the series, wouldn’t you be a little bit annoyed?
    Perlman’s gravelly intro set the scene for me as a child. I don’t think I would have gone into the game in the same mindset if his voice hadn’t perfectly matched the mood and tone of the post-apocalyptic landscape.