By Adam Smith on December 11th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.
Here at the RPS retirement home for weary writers, our memories are often akin to a swirling sea of confusion. Just yesterday, I was watching the trailer for Peggle 2 and thought it looked terrible. I realised that Peggle the first has come to resemble a Jackson Pollock gallery retrospective in my mind’s eye. How strange then that our collective memories of Thief were lucid and strong. Looking Glass’ masterpiece is more than a memory though. Astonishingly, fifteen years after its release, the fan community has continued to work on the game and a modder going by the handle Bentraxx has released a Thief Gold HD Mod. It looks gorgeous and there’s a full changelist and video below.
There are some issues with the water in this video, which shows an internet person by the name of AluminumHaste completing the training mission. Work has continued since release earlier this week though and fixes seem to be occurring at a steady rate.
You will need NewDark v1.2 to play and, as pointed out on the ModDB page, don’t worry that NewDark claims to be for Thief 2. It works just fine.
Here’s the changelist:
- added HD textures for all original missions
- added new vegetation
- added new water and lava textures
- added new torch and fire flames
- added Fog FX (Applies only to following missions: Escape!, Strange Bedfellows, Into The Maw of Chaos)
- added new Bugbeast HD skin
- added new Burrick HD skin
- added new Zombie HD skin (A big Zombie skin-pack update with a setup tool coming soon!!!)
Bravo. If you’ve never experienced Thief, or have been dawdling and dallying while deciding whether to replay, now is the time to string up your bow.