Silence – The Whispered World 2 Announced

By John Walker on December 12th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

That wasn’t a demand for quiet. It’s the somewhat confusingly back-to-front title for the news that Daedalic’s best game to date is getting a sequel. And with it, quite the shift in art style.

What we’ve got so far is a weepy, weepy video, and not a lot else to go on. And I’m afraid Daedalic have, for whatever reason, chosen to go with GameTrailers to exclusively host it, so it’s in their dreadful embed player:

I thought I’d not edit out the crap they stick in the code so people could truly appreciate it. Comedy Central, eh? I’m not convinced they have much more information about it. Developers and publishers: never, ever make your ADVERT FOR YOUR GAME exclusive to one site. It’s MORONIC.

Thankfully an industrious gamer has nicked it and put it on YouTube in working HD! Hurrah! Until it gets taken down in a copyright claim. Anyway:

So if that’s in-game, then that’s pretty special. It sure looks like cutscenes, though, despite stills from it being listed as “screenshots”. The story is described thus:

“The Whispered World 2 will take players back to Silence, a world made of dreams. We accompany Noah, a teenager, who lost his little sister Renie in the hazardous real world and now hopes to find her again in Silence. His quest leads him to another visually impressive and emotional adventure, where players get to solve plenty of mysteries surrounding Noah, his sister and the dreamscapes of Silence.”

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Shodex says:

At least the lead character doesn’t sound like that annoying voice Adam Sandler does anymore.

• Adamustache says:

Yeah, Sadwick’s whiny voice and the obtuseness of the puzzles unfortunately turned me away from the first Whispered World very quickly.

• strangeloup says:

I managed almost but not quite ten minutes before the only involvement I wanted to have with Sadwick was punching him to death, or at least until he shut the hell up.

Maybe it’s good. But I would speculate that their Dark Eye adventures are their best offerings.

2. Baines says:

Unfortunately, I have to ask “Will the game work?”

The main thing I know of Whispered World is that a good number of people complained about not being able to get the game to run at all. My personal experience with Daedalic is playing Deponia, a point-and-click that is notorious for ignoring left mouse button clicks. (Seriously, Deponia ignoring the left mouse button is a fairly common complaint, and the compatibility settings fixes that can somewhat alleviate the problem only somewhat alleviate it rather than actually fix it.)

3. Juan Carlo says:

This was such a pretty game with an interesting story, unfortunately I never finished it because the puzzles were idiotic. None of them made any sense, so you’d end up just combining random things with other random things until something stuck. Then rather than progression, there’d just be another dead end and the whole process would repeat. I gave up after the first few areas at a point when the world expands and suddenly the sheer number of random things to try combining with other random things just became impractical to the point that brute forcing the game’s puzzles was tedious and trying to guess at the designer’s twisted logic was even more tedious.

I like adventure games, but I find that I have zero patience now days for old school, non-sensical, puzzle design. I much prefer the Wadjeteye brand of puzzles that always make logical, real world, sense.

• noodlecake says:

This.

It’s a shame. The game world was beautifully realized with gorgeous painterly art. Didn’t get very far myself either for the reason mentioned above.

• Noviere says:

You summed up my experience with the Whispered World perfectly. Such a shame, because it seemed like it could have been great. I quit fairly early in.

4. dsch says:

Pretty trailer with no information about the game. (Loose association) Anyone remember how great we all thought Dead Island was going to be?

• Scrooge McDuck says:

Then again, Dead Island’s trailer features none of its main characters and the game is not narrative-centric to begin with.

5. twincast says:

The Whispered World was a wonderful little story (which I had tentatively figured out very early on and absolutely so about halfway through, but that doesn’t make it any worse).

But the thing is, it works perfectly as a standalone story. Turning it into a franchise – making it “real”, for want of a better word – only serves to rob it of (part of) its depth. Unless the description is misleading, and that isn’t how they’ll handle it, then I’m totally fine with it.

6. S Jay says:

Why is the character dressed as the lead character in Deponia? A crossover or what?

I played the Whispered World, but I don’t remember it (I played it on an adventure binge)

7. CaspianRoach says:

Oh thank god it’s not actually The Whispered World 2, that game’s main character was terrible. I despised his persona and voice and his attitude so much it’s the only Daedalic game where I didn’t even bother trying to solve puzzles myself.

This looks like it might actually be good.

8. Stevostin says:

Landscarpe, color, vibe: beautiful.
    Character: not that beautifu.
    Animation: dreadful. Hire someone who knows the job better than that if you do cutscenes…

9. Anabasis says:

It’s a pretty dick move that goggles didn’t tell those other kids to run for shelter. I kind of hate him already.

10. tumbleworld says:

Lovely background art.

As for the rest of it… well, we already kinda knew that 1940 sucked, and many people saw terrible things. So why do we care about some mush-faced kid with goggles and clown-shoes who is happy to leave non-related little girls in the snow to die in an air raid? I can’t help feeling that if you want to write weepy art-house movies, you should go write weepy art-house movies…

Comment on this story