The Wheels On The Bus: OMSI 2 Released

By Adam Smith on December 12th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Carry a full load of passengers across the entire city to unlock double jump

OMSI 2 has just been released and the Steam page contains my favourite feature description of all time:

Relive the change taking place in Spandau between 1986 and 1994! OMSI 2 now replicates the exciting years following the German reunification and all the innovations and route expansions (line 137 to Falkensee) that came along with it.

The exciement and dramatic changes of German reunification recreated via transport developments, timetable changes and route expansions. I’ve been waiting for this transport simulation period piece to come out ever since I first read Tim Stone’s words about the first in the series. His diary is still one of my favourite pieces of writing on the internet.

It seems like only yesterday that Euro Truck Simulator 2 surprised the world by parking itself in our Advent Calendar, and while I was reading the comments I found a link to a wonderful thread on our forums about the appeal of ‘sublime driving games’.

We might be talking about OMSI 2 for some time and it’ll begin tomorrow. Look out for The Flare Path and Tim Stone’s return to the streets.

, , .

1. Leb says:

Excited the dubstep compilation video

2. Stuart Walton says:

I love how the bendy-bus squeaks.

Henke says:

Yes! The soundeffects are great. :D

• Timberwolf says:

One of the Let’s Play videos of Omsi devotes literally SEVERAL minutes to the peculiarly satisfying sound one of the windows makes as you slide it open and close it again. It’s that sort of game.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

I had flashbacks to being a kid travelling to school, when I heard the sounds hehe.

3. Loyal_Viggo says:

A secret mode featuring Nazi Zombies navigating the unified transit system would make this an essential purchase.

4. DanMan says:

The lack of shadows on people in that picture makes it awkward to look at. Can’t unsee.

5. Mud says:

The show off value of a virtual bus is zero, a virtual truck however …….

6. The Random One says:

I’m reminded of the divided Berlin level in Cities in Motion, where there was nothing stopping you from immediately rebuilding the destroyed metro lines and resuming normal service. In fact, I later expanded the metro system with elevated tracks defiantly placed on top of the wall. Fuck your ideologies, man, public transport is what matters!

• Canadave says:

The nice thing is that in Cities in Motion, no one would be able to take public transit to defect, because they’d be stuck in a crowd of 150 people waiting for a 15-seat tram.

7. Dudeist says:

Shut Up And Take My Money!!!
    No, wait – it looks like a boring city Bus sim :P
    Will be “escape form ost” mode? People smuggling – Shut Up And Take My Money!!!

DrScuttles says:

There’s a certain twisted appeal in playing an N91 simulator if only to relive my student days from a radically different perspective. The problem would be in recognising the flaws in its virtual London, whereas I’ve never been to Berlin. In any case, Tim Stone makes it sound like the noblest of pursuits.

9. Rensdyr says:

Indeed has this game been added to my christmas wishlist.

10. obd2 says:

We might be talking about OMSI 2 for some time and it’ll begin tomorrow

11. SuicideKing says:

I didn’t see anyone give indicators. :/

I also pretty much refuse to play a driving sim unless it has left-handed driving…unless want to practice driving in the US or Germany, etc.

12. mukuste says:

I find this utterly bewildering, why anyone would want to play this by their own volition, it’s beyond me…

• mrmalodor says:

What I find utterly bewildering is people who don’t possess the modicum of intelligence necessary to understand and accept that not everyone likes the same things as they do.

13. bstard says:

This makes me think bout that article in some paper bout a cat who took the bus every day. If that cat is in this game it’s a must buy. Look!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/pets/8958012/Owner-surprised-to-find-cat-regularly-catches-bus.html

14. lordfrikk says:

Oh my God this is amazing.

15. Timberwolf says:

All those new opportunities for bouncing off lamp posts to a chorus of “Du bist nicht Herr Schumacher, ja?” and “Mann, mann, mann!” from the back of the bus!