I’m Hooked: Grapple Knight

By John Walker on December 13th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

GRAPPLING HOOKS! It’s pretty simple, every developer out there. If your game doesn’t include a grappling hook, then you are making a bad game. This isn’t complicated, and it’s about time everyone started taking some notice. Like Red Knight Games have with their forthcoming Grapple Knight. (Cheers, Indiegames.) Forthcoming, that is, if people will chuck them another $4k AUD or so. There’s a demo to incentivise such investiments.

Australian dollars are basically the money out of Game Of Life, and you’ve likely got some of that spare. Just, slide and combo-slash your way through the pitch video:

The demo (on PC, Mac and Linux) reveals a very tiny little window for the game – changing resolution or going fullscreen just increases the black border around it for some reason – that needs some polish. But hey, that’s why they’re after the cash. Right now movement feels too sluggish, and the choice to be retro about the controls, as well as the presentation, doesn’t seem a good one to me. Games didn’t have only eight directions because they wanted that – it was because it was all that was on offer. More is on offer now, and the grapple feels needlessly stilted and cumbersome for only firing off in three practical directions. Oh, and it’d be good if I didn’t have to squint. Still, there’s potential here for a classic NES-style platformer for ten Aussie bucks (about £5.50), aiming to be out by as soon as February (which from their own progress chart sounds extremely unlikely to me).

So, one where it’s worth checking out the demo first, I think. But still, grappling hook.

, , , , , .

Harlander says:

“Grapple” is one of those words which really loses its meaning quickly when you say it a lot.

Grapple, grapple, grapple.

2. GallonOfAlan says:

Greetings, grapple fans! #kentwalton #oldschool #worldofsport

• kristy622 says:

Stаrt wоrĸing at հom℮ with Gооgl℮!. witհоսt а dоսbt its tհ℮ mоst-соmfоrtаbl℮ jоb I հаv℮ ℮v℮r հаd. It has blessed me with a ch℮ck for $6974 this m0nth. I асtսаlly stаrt℮d 7-mоոtհs аgо аոd imm℮diаt℮ly wаs briոgiո հоm℮ miոimսm $75/ հоսr. Useful Reference http://cutt.us/sgEc

stahlwerk says:

Grappiel Knight.

4. Wther says:

Ex-PC Gamer journo / Crate & Crowbar podcaster Tom “Gunpoint” Francis is intermittently working on a grappling hook game in Unity, documenting his progress as he goes.

5. Bobka says:

Other games that have grappling hooks include Worms and Starbound, both awesome games as far as I’m concerned. Proof!

• Timberwolf says:

Just Cause 2 is the premier grappling simulator as far as I’m concerned. Grapple all the things! …to all of the other things!

• pupsikaso says:

Only if you use the mod.

• benkc says:

While I always knew that grappling hooks make everything better, it was Just Cause 2 that taught us that infinite parachutes makes grappling hooks better.

• crinkles esq. says:

Starbound’s wonky grappling hook is hardly mentionable. Grapple Knight’s hook seems more based on the only grappling hook worth stealing — Bionic Commando.

This game seems a weird mishmash of retro NES game controls. I’m seeing Bionic Commando, Rygar, Sonic, maybe some G&G. It doesn’t look bad per se, but it doesn’t seem to have its own style, either.

6. iniudan says:

What up with all the odd knight lately: Grapple Knight, Shovel Knight, Legend of the Knightwasher…

7. pupsikaso says:

I wish there were more articles about actually finished games that are out and ready to be bought and played.
    It seems recently the only new games we see around here are kickstarter.

• Turkey says:

That’s not true. There’s also new games that need to be greenlit and new games that are about to go into early access.

8. PenGunn says:

The grapple is an abomination. It is what killed off rocket jumping in Q2 and popularized it’s use there. I quit playing Q2 because of it.

• crinkles esq. says:

What? The grappling hook was first introduced to the Quake series during Quake 1, with a QuakeWorld mod (I don’t remember exactly what mod it was), That grappling hook was a bit over-the-top though.