Drive By Truckers: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer Mod

By Graham Smith on December 16th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Two trucks having sex.

I tried not to post this, but I can’t help myself. Even as I get my paws on one multiplayer retrofit with Just Cause 2′s multiplayer mod, another appears on the horizon. I’m going to be stalking the Euro Truck Simulator 2 multiplayer mod until it gets released. Come and watch the development video below for some hot convoy action.

There are two things that need to happen here.

First, the blurb on the mod’s site mentions the expansive joys of using a CB radio while you truck. In which case, I want roleplaying servers where players use actual CB radio trucker slang. “Back off the hammer, bulldog,” I’ll say to Adam. “Crotch rockets comin’ up.” Heck, I say that to him every day anyway.

Second, I want an ambient multiplayer mode that like Dark Soul’s invasion mechanic. If you’re not familiar with it, it allows other players to force their way into your Dark Souls game, with the aim of hacking you to bits. Can you imagine the ETS2 equivalent? You deliver a haul to Cardiff after a two hour drive. You’re tired, and you think nothing of truck parked on the horizon when you first see it. It’s a few minutes later that you notice that it’s following you. Add a station wagon mode and you can begin to see where I’m going with this.

There are more videos of the mod on the ETS2MP YouTube channel, or you can follow development on the mod’s forums. Here’s my favourite truck-related song to tide you over between now and release. .

Thanks, PC Gamer.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. DigitalParadox says:

Great, now I have to convince all my friends to buy Euro Truck Simulator 2

• bstard says:

Nothing personal, but hope I’m not your frend ;) I’m waiting for this sim where you play this dude playing a video game. Until then I only play games that aint have any to do with the boring real world.

2. Ross Angus says:

Best alt text. Made me spit out my Yorkie.

3. Keyrock says:

Do want. After spending the time to make a Shantae-themed cab skin for my Volvo FH16, it would be cool if other people could see me driving around in my sweet Shantaemobile.

4. TWChristine says:

I thought this was already the purpose behind the World of Trucks thing they launched?

• mistery says:

World of Trucks is actually like Facebook for ETS2. It is photo/video/story sharing but no actual gameplay. It is just a website not a module of the game.

5. fish99 says:

I could see an MMO version of ETS2 being awesome. Having some of those trucks you pass being other real people, maybe having competitive elements (effectively racing but with strict rules, or just competing for contracts), guilds etc, and a much much bigger world.

Having said that I doubt I’d pay a monthly fee for it.

6. SuicideKing says:

One of those grey roofed trucks has a severe jitter issue.

7. Graves says:

Imagine rolling down the Big M with a big dummy keeping your back door covered while you keep your eye out for kojak with a kodak, all the while dreaming about the seat cover you left back at base 20…. Yep, its time that this game let the channel roll.

CB Radio Simulator 2: Euro Truck Edition

8. Moraven says:

I await the Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing multiplayer mod.

9. jonahcutter says:

The Duel was what immediately popped into my mind as well. That and

10. The Random One says:

It’s all fun and games until you ram into someone leaving the cargo areas.

11. melnificent says:

Just wait until the first truck jackknifes on the motorway

12. LionsPhil says:

I’m not sure DUEL would work with one of those puny, boxy, Euro cabs.

13. Moth Bones says:

I see your Duel, and raise you a Race With The Devil (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073600/?ref_=nv_sr_1).

14. geldonyetich says:

I find this mod to be an unnecessary affront to my introverted lifestyle.

Were there really enough extroverted players out there who thought to themselves, “Well, driving a truck across Europe is good, but I’m just not entertained unless I’m driving a truck across Europe with all my friends, who are also driving trucks!” that one of them actually went to make a mod to accomplish just that?

My shut-in leaning personality cannot fathom this madness, and tells me that, if some sociologist could get to the bottom of this phenomenon, we might have an inside track to understanding the parts of the human psyche responsible for all things invoking of Godwin’s Law.

• TWChristine says:

I don’t see it as being any different from people playing flight sims in a “multiplayer” capacity. And actually, from my own introverted-ness, I kind of think a multiplayer game where I might occasionally come across someone else as opposed to running into someone every 3 feet, strikes a decent balance.

15. CelticPixel says:

Authentic truck driving multiplayer could include trying to time it so everyone arrives at the truck stop for their 40 minute break at the same time and sneaking passengers onto the ferry without getting caught!

16. Vagrant says:

Related to title: When I started playing Euro Truck Simulator 2, I thought that surely the perfect background music would be the Drive By Truckers. They didn’t quite fit the bill for me, but The Takers were a great fit.

17. lordfrikk says:

I was laughing at all the silly people playing ETS2 until I tried it yesterday and didn’t go to sleep until the morning.

Comment on this story