Surprising: Metal Gear – Revengeance On PC Soon

By Adam Smith on December 16th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

“Any day now” is the timeframe given for the release of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in a recent Kojima Productions Alert podcast. Responding to concerns that the port had been cancelled, host Sean Eyestone says that’s not the case at all:

“It’s in the final stages right now. You’ll be seeing it pop up on Steam any day now.”

This being the shooty-slicey side of Metal Gear rather than a game of the prowly-prolix variety, I’m hoping for DMC style silliness, with tongues thrust so far inside cheeks that everybody involved has begun to resemble the terrifying TV-dwelling puppet, Pob. I was slightly unnerved when I found a Youtube video containing every cutscene and cinematic in the game. It’s two hours and nineteen minutes long. The opening cinematic is below – fancy another two hours of that sort of thing?

Considering how long it’s been since we last heard any news of the PC version, I’d started to think it was never going to arrive. If it’s half as self-aware and playful as it appears to be, it might well join DMC in the list of games I didn’t expect to tolerate for more than five minutes, and ended up oddly enamoured with. I spend so much time looking at maps and stats that I sometimes forget that I’ve got a few drops of adrenalin left in the tank, as well as an undernourished funny bone.

Via Metal Gear Informer.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. RobinOttens says:

Huh, forgot this was happening. I heard this game is surprisingly good, mixing the best of Kojima with the best of Platinum. I’ll probably end up buying it in hopes of convincing both of the viability of PC releases. More of these developers need to put their games out on PC!

Also, that intro movie is only 5 minutes?! Amazing! Yes, I could probably tolerate another two hours of relatively short cutscenes.

• Henke says:

Yeah 5 minutes is amazingly brief by MGS standards. IIRC in MGS3 at one point there was a 50 minute string of cutscenes and codec conversations interspersed only by a 1 or 2 minute gameplay segment where you walked from one area to another. I’m not making this shit up.

• Snidesworth says:

Very few of the cutscenes last longer than a minute or two and, when they do, they’re almost always entertaining. The ones that come during the final mission will leave you grinning ear to ear.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Yup, I’m glad we’re finally getting some Japanese games on PC. Especially from Platinum. There’s no game that they’ve made that I don’t want to play, yet I haven’t had the opportunity without buying a console.

As for the Metal Gear series, I was a huge fan back in the PS2 days. I’ve resigned myself to never playing MGS4 because I’m not going to buy an entire console for two or three games, but I’m glad Konami is finally throwing us a bone with this and (hopefully) Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain.

• 2helix4u says:

This is definitely one of my favourite recent games. IMO its better than DMC, though they’re both good Revengeance has a more interesting and novel combat system and some excellent boss fights.

I actually really like the story, its a much more contained story than most kojima games but similarly unrestrained. I really enjoyed having an actual reason to beat the bad guys, they give them the most indefensible over the top plan that it lets you root for your murderous avatar. They also sort of reinvent Raiden in a way that pokes at violent games and their protagonists while also remaining aloof and aware of the fact that Raiden is pretty lame.

Its also possibly the most playfully and rampantly anti-american game I’ve ever played.

2. Soulstrider says:

Oh yes, can’t wait for some insanely crazy over the top action

3. demicanadian says:

Last time I checked Revengeance looked like discount bin game. Tis not MGS5. Sad Otacon is sad.

• maximiZe says:

Check again.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Hear, hear! You want MGS5, play MGS5. Uh… once it’s out, I mean. Take MGR for what it is, and not what it’s not, and it’s bunches of fun.
        Truly the Fallout Tactics of Metal Gear.

• The Random One says:

I get what you mean, but that’s not a very comforting analogy!

• apocraphyn says:

I find it to be quite a fitting analogy. Much better than saying it’s the “Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel” of Metal Gear. Besides, Fallout: Tactics is a good game! It’s just not a proper Fallout game. Kinda like Fallout 3, AHEM

• MSJ says:

Bargain bin games like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ($15) and the first two Serious Sam games ($20 each)?

• Soulstrider says:

I found Dreamfall :TLJ lost in a bargain bin for 1 euro. Bought it, tried it, and now it’s one of my favourite games of all time.

• bit_crusherrr says:

MGR is fucking amazing. If you like hack n slashes you have to pick it up. I hope more Platinum Games would end up on PC. I really want to play Bayonetta again but I really can’t be bothered hooking up my Xbox.

• dethtoll says:

Yeah, no.

I love this game — it’s no GOTY, but it’s still fantastic.

People complaining that it’s not Metal Gear kind of missed the point of who they’re playing as. And it’s more accessible and fun than DMC or most of its other clones — I say this as someone who generally has trouble with those games.

4. Anthile says:

That’s the second most terrifying TV-dwelling puppet I have ever seen.

5. Geebs says:

If I remember correctly, “any day now” was at one point the development status of the Mac port of Half Life.

• smoke.tetsu says:

If it where a similar situation going by how long it took Valve to bring Half-Life to the Mac and Linux. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance for PC will be out around 2028! (Half-Life for those platforms was released in January 25, 2013)

6. bigjig says:

Niiiice, love to see Platinum Games on the PC

7. maximiZe says:

It’s really sad to read that you hope for a P* game to resemble the literal abortion that is DmC, Adam. But you’ll see the light once the darn thing finally releases.

• Adam Smith says:

Touché! I won’t say a bad word about DMC and I didn’t mean to compare it directly to Platinum’s games in an action sense. I was thinking more of the glossy irreverence. I’ve been a fan since the Clover days – although haven’t played a second of MGR:R yet – but I’m very much looking forward to it.

DMC’s combat system appealed to the simpler parts of my soul.

• Aerothorn says:

I have to give Adam points for not nitpicking on “literal abortion.” I am barely restraining my snark right now.

• Emeraude says:

Does your snark meter go haywire too when people use, say, “wicked” to mean something is good ? Or has the usage enough bottle now for it to remain unnoticed ?

• apocraphyn says:

Well, he may have been referencing the literal abortion that occurs within the game. In a tongue-in-cheek fashion, of course.

• Emeraude says:

My bad if so. Must be the filth time today I stumbled upon likewise, comments on “literally”. Was starting to feel like a weird aggression.

8. Frosty840 says:

I should care about this, but the thing turned up as one of the Playstation Plus games a month or two back.
    Still haven’t played it.
    Bought the new DmC in a sale a while back, haven’t played that, either, and it’s due on PS+ in a week, too.

I might as well just give up buying games at this rate…

• Kentauroi says:

Was this a European PS+ game? I usually check the NA PS+ store every Wednesday to download any new free content on the off of chance I’ll decide to play it but I don’t remember ever seeing Revengeance on there. If it was then I missed out big time…

9. Bull0 says:

Oh, that’s a nice surprise, I’ll probably play this. The slashy-slashy free wielding katana thing plus mouse control might be a Good Thing.

10. RedViv says:

Please don’t repeat the mistakes of Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition on this platform.

11. pkt-zer0 says:

NANOMACHINES, SON.

Really looking forward to this. Not just for the humour, but also for having more awesome brawlers on PC. DMC4 was good, if maybe not as good as DMC3 or 1. Since then, there has been Aces Wild, which was great, though a bit limited by its indieness in scope. And other than that… not much? DmC left a lot to be desired gameplay-wise. Stuff like Shank and Castle Crashers also seem more focused on the shallower, more casual side of things. Treasure might port Guardian Heroes after Ikaruga is done, but that’s a hypotethical future.

Am I missing something? The dearth of PC brawlers is a bit unfortunate, since here you can have both silky smooth framerates and spectacular graphics, consoles usually have to compromise on one or the other.

• tobecooper says:

You missed Castlevania: LoS1 and Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death which are both quite fun if not very deep combat-wise. There’s also Enslaved which looks quite nice.
      Still, I’ve got to say I’m really looking forward to Revengeance too. Can’t wait!

• Oozo says:

The Zeno Clash-games are not really anything like DmC and Co., but you could make a good argument for them being a different branch on the Brawler tree.

12. Spoon Of Doom says:

I’ve finally played a bit of this recently, but I somehow don’t really ‘get’ how to play it. Higher difficulty variants of such games like Ninja Gaiden scare me a bit, but I consider myself at least somewhat competent at the genre. I’ve successfully finished all God Of Wars except the most recent one, two and a half Devil May Cry games and several other such games, but I’m biting on granite in Metal Gear Revengeance.
    The beginning is easy enough, but the first time I had to fight several soldiers AND two of those Gekkos at once (which is basically still tutorial area), I needed three or four attempts, and even then it was through sheer luck that I survived. Then there was the Panther-like bot boss battle shortly after that, which was the point at which I gave up.
    I’m not saying that the game is extraordinarily hard, though – I’m pretty sure it’s my fault and I just don’t know what the game wants. If I play as defensively and evade/block as much as the game seems to require for me not to die, I don’t have time to do proper damage. If I try to do damage, I get hit too often and either die or have to eat a dozen health items. And to use the free wielding katana mode, you have to stop, and standing in one place for more than half a second doesn’t end well most of the time either.

If I can’t say much else about the game, I can certainly say that it requires a different playstyle than this genre typically does.

• Philomelle says:

Which Devil May Cry games have you finished, for starters? Because the recent reboot is the equivalent of junk food when it comes to 3D brawlers’ action engines, with only DMC2 being easier (with the sole exception of that one’s final boss). It tells a lot about DMC2 difficulty that Phantom, the very first boss you encounter in DMC1, is the boss to the penultimate mission of DMC2 and is still nerfed to be easier.

DMC1 and DMC3 are the real demolishers of the series, with DMC1 being one of the hardest games in the genre.

As for GoW, while I haven’t finished the series completely, GoW1-2 and Chains of Olympus were among the easiest games in the genre. While fancy, they can really be beaten by bouncing your ass on the controller half the time.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

I’ve beaten DMC1, 2 and about half of 3 (stopped because I was distracted, not because it was to hard). I’ve also played a couple of Onimusha games (1 and 3, I think), and probably quite a few more that don’t come to mind right now but when you mention them I’ll probably go “oh of course I’ve played XYZ, how could I forget that!”.

As I said, I’m not an expert, but with enough patience I managed to get through almost anything yet, but in MGR It’s not just that I’m not good enough – it’s that I don’t even quite get what I should be doing differently, especially after trying very different approaches unsuccessfully. Or maybe – shudder – I’m getting old.

Edit: I’m not sure if that’s the same genre or even comparable, but I’ve been fairly successful in Demon’s Souls, having beaten two bosses already and being on my way to the third one with only a handful of deaths which were almost all caused by brain farts.

• apocraphyn says:

If you’re having trouble with the early encounters, you need to learn to parry. As far as I remember, (as it has been a while), you tilt the directional stick in the direction of the enemy, then press Square for every attack they dish out towards you; ya just have to time the parries correctly. Most enemies have specific ‘tells’ that allow you to figure out when exactly to parry. Once/If you get to grips with it, you’ll likely find the game to be much easier – I got it solidly figured out during the “Panther-like bot boss battle” and managed to avoid taking any damage on my first try. It’s very intuitive, in my opinion.

As for the game itself – I massively enjoyed it once already on the PS3, though I fully intend on picking it up for PC once it finally gets released. This is the version I have been waiting for.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

My parry timing was often a bit off, so I tried not to rely on it too much. Might give the game another shot with that hint, thanks.
        Although it’s a pain to install the game on my PS3 again, with its 25 gig download and requiring double that to install, making me delete pretty much everything else because I only have a 60GB hard drive, and redownloading my other stuff after that.

• Totally heterosexual says:

learn 2 parry scrub

…which the game does explain poorly, unfortunately. Once you get it down, it becomes like a second nature. Also recommended that you buy the “defensive offense” move(more or less a dodge move) as soon as possible.

• Snidesworth says:

Absolutely this. It’s also worth remembering that you need to tap the stick and press light attack towards your enemy for -every- parry, not just hold the stick in their direction and press button. Getting the timing down for parry counters will make most human-cyborg enemies a breeze and enemies not too much further into the game will punish you horribly if you can’t parry strings of quick attacks.

Parrying really is at the heart of the game. You’ll realise this when you first parry a 40ft robot dinosaur as it tries to step on you.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Many games like this offer some kind of parry, but in many of them it’s just fluff that you can easily live without. I’ve always had better timing with evading than parrying, so I thought I take my time rather than risk messing up yet another parry, but if it’s really that important I may have to rethink my approach.

• strangeloup says:

You need to do the parry thing, which is performed by doing a light attack in the direction of the enemy’s incoming attack, at the same time.

It takes a little bit to get used to, but it’s nothing like as hard as it probably sounds. It’s probably the easiest parry mechanic I’ve seen, at any rate. This way you take less damage than blocking (possibly no damage at all, it’s been a while), and can do extra damage in retaliation.

Edit: Beaten by like 4 other people. Honestly, it’s a bit great, though.

13. Totally heterosexual says:

RULES OF NATURE

This game rocks and it’s great that platinium are getting their games out on PC. Hope it’s a nice port.

• DanMan says:

My thoughts, too. I shall buy this, if they don’t cough it up. Judging by how long it took them, i surely hope it’s a proper port. That, and 20€ max.

14. virtualmatrix258 says:

Really enjoyed it on PS3. Unfortunately, it was on a console and the aliasing, motion blur, terrible framerate and PS3 controller were my only gripes. I’ll definitely buy this on PC when it comes out. I really want MGSV on PC so hopefully this shows Konami and Kojima PC is worth releasing on.

15. Thoma says:

Good to hear this is happenning, have been looking forward to this for a while now. Almost bought it for the PS3, but now I’ll wait for the PC version for sure. :)

• welverin says:

It had been so long since any news on this I was about ready to give up and get the PS3 version if it popped up on sale.

16. XhomeB says:

I hope the game sells at least decently, that might convince Konami to port MGS V.
    Am I the only one here who actually owns MGS 1&2 on PC? Assuming you had a gamepad at the time (so many more PC gamers seem to own one these days compared to the late 90s/early 00s), they were actually solid convertions. It’s better to play the original via a PSX emulator, though.

17. Rockman says:

Heh, Don’t forget the 2 hour MGR:R cutscenes video had actual gameplay interspersed, with certain boss fights and such. At least it’s not MGS2, with a solid 5+hours of cutscene and codec. Even with those numbers, the latter is arguably the better game albeit in a different genre.

18. PopeRatzo says:

“Soon”. “Any day now”.

Why don’t they just say “Q4, 2014″ and be done with it. Why do they toy with us so?

19. strangeloup says:

I like the gameplay in Revengeance more than in the mainline Metal Gear games, but that might be because I’m a bit rubbish at stealth, so YMMV.

I definitely like the storyline when it’s more like Ghost in the Shell with extra silly than when it’s like a sixth former’s politics rant with a craziness side salad.

20. Vyce says:

That’s funny, I made the same assumption and bought the 360 version of this yesterday while buying a few other things thinking that it got cancelled or any silence about it meant it wasn’t going to happen. Though “Soon” can still be anywhere between now and the end of time.

21. draglikepull says:

I played this on PS3 and it’s one of my favourite games of the year, but it absolutely needs to be played with a controller so anyone picking up the PC version should have a 360 controller or something similar.

22. leftclick says:

now that this is done can you ask platinum games to port vanquish?k, thanks

23. Emeraude says:

So, Amazon seemingly has a retail version on sale, but no mention of the DRM… Steamworks addled ?

24. ExpendablePanda says:

Let’s just hope the port isn’t as wonky as some of the other Japanese exports in recent times (Deadly Premonition and Dark Souls).

Feel like the game itself will at the very very least be a laugh, anything more and it’s a bonus. Had forgotten it was indeed coming to PC as you say.

25. DatonKallandor says:

Who’s porting this? Because it could be a CapCom level port (incredibly well made, ludicrously stupid keybinds but they’re rebindable, tons of extra content, PC specific upgrades) or a From Software level port (hardlocked 30 frames, hardlocked resolution, a modder who has fixes ready for download BEFORE the game even comes out).

26. Commissar Choy says:

If anyone is unsure about this game (or needs tips about it), I can heartily recommend ChipCheezumsLP of it. They thoroughly dissect the game and it’s pretty funny.

Comment on this story