MapleStory 2 Will Be An Enormous Game You Never Play

By John Walker on December 17th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

AAIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!

It would be a fool who ignored the power of Maple Story. However, we arguably weren’t fools for not troubling you with the news of a MapleStory 2 last month. At that point Korean publishers Nexon had only put up a useless teaser site. Now there’s a trailer to make something of a more useful announcement.

You don’t care about MapleStory, you say? Sure, it’s not exactly core RPS material. But we should be interested it in anthropologically, if nothing else. This is a game that’s seen over 67 million players, and earned more than $300m before it was even famous. It’s a phenomenon, no question. And now it’s got a really stupid CGI trailer, complete with dubstep.

I even played it once, back in about 2006. It was platformy.

The sequel is, apparently, to be in 3D. Which is quite a massive departure from the original, if definitely true. Here’s the entirely unhelpful CGI trailer:

Damn, those are the cutest mushrooms I’ve ever seen.

The game is due to go into beta some time next year, when you won’t play it, but be utterly astonished by how many do.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. int says:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Bighead

• SuicideKing says:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragonball(Z) is what i ended up thinking.

2. SaVi says:

Money needed to pay for the gear shown in the trailer: About twice the worth of the lost Bernsteinzimmer.

3. LTK says:

I played Maplestory for a while. The world was a ton of fun to explore but it was also a massive grind with a skill system that was utterly one-dimensional. Once I gained enough levels to get access to all the areas I saw no reason to play any further.

• Harlander says:

Well, if the skill system progresses the same as the graphics, it should be two-dimensional in the new one.

4. lomaxgnome says:

Deforestation has never been more epic.

5. aliksy says:

Maple Story is pretty shit, and Nexon games usually do a lot of bullshit in games I don’t like. Cash shop items that give a random item when used, expensive respecs, grind grind grind, and so on.

6. squareking says:

This and Gunbound are two things I’m reluctant to admit I actually played. The novelty of F2P brought me in to MS, but that was about it. Gunbound, on the other hand, is the best PC game ever made.

• apocraphyn says:

Ahh, Gunbound. Pretty much an MMO-lite version of Worms, albeit exchanging control over a small squad for that of a single character. Had quite a lot of fun with that a decade ago or so, too.

Maple Story never really interested me, but I did play a fair bit of Ragnarok Online. Maple Story 2 seems to be going down the same road as Ragnarok Online 2, jumping from 2D to 3D. A whole lot of the original appeal for these games was in their 2D aesthetic – I’m not sure they’re making a sensible move by abandoning the two dimensional plane.

• Kitsunin says:

I played gunbound, but it seemed kind of like it was just Worms minus 80% of the mobility and interesting weapon choices, and plus pay 2 win. Also, I hate rental systems. So, I didn’t have the slightest idea why one would play it over Worms, aside from it being a free to play.

Maplestory, I tried, and I have to say its grind was a little more oomph-y than other games for some reason, but it was still a massive grind…I even played on a private server for a short while and it was an extremely interesting experience playing a grindy mmo with exp gain jacked up to 10,000x, but it just served to show how shallow the whole thing is, to me, even with the interesting mechanics the private server added.

7. SillyWizard says:

Canadians make MMOs now?

8. Lemming says:

Well that was some serious mushroom genocide/forest destruction, wasn’t it?

9. cthulhie says:

Am I the only one who absolutely adores that trailer? The spot-on serious tone of the trailer (in the genre of every MMO trailer since WoW) in the art style of Maple Story (including the adorable mushrooms being terrorized by these heroes) just pushes all of my buttons. The fact that I can’t pin down whether it’s laughing parody, cheeky winking, or totally unaware earnestness is like catnip to me. I’ve watched it twice and believe I’ll have another go.

• Amun says:

I hate to tell you this, but you’re probably a moron.

• crisk21 says:

In other words, “Stop liking what I don’t like.”

Everyone has opinions, bud. Grow up.

• tormos says:

thinking that people who like the things that you fairly recently liked are morons is a natural progression from liking things that are bad. It’s commonly one of the first signs of evolving taste. I’d almost celebrate it if it wasn’t such a pain to be around.

• Koozer says:

I relish in telling you this; you are an insufferable human being.

• SomeDuder says:

You should probably look into this “animu” thing – it’s also pretty shit, like this trailer.

• timzania says:

Agreed, I thought it was pretty fun. Watched it without sound though.

10. geldonyetich says:

That was quite an impressive bit of not-gameplay you showed us there, Nexon.

Personally, I think Maple Story 2 has already been made by its many, many imitators. E.g. Dragon Saga. But it would be interesting to see what Nexon comes up with.

11. FunnyB says:

Is it just me seeing RPS posts popping up in the RSS feeds at completely different times, then disappearing and reappearing later?

I’m sure I saw this post yesterday and some of the timestamps on the comments seem to confirm my suspicions. What is going on?

• John Walker says:

Just a couple of mistakes made yesterday due to my colossal incompetence.

• FunnyB says:

Aha!
        No worries John! It can happen to the best of us.

• tormos says:

Why, just the other day I got a question wrong on an exam due to John’s colossal incompetence! Shame to see that it’s struck again :P

12. SkittleDiddler says:

Dumbstep. Bet none of you have seen that one before.

13. MartinWisse says:

So if “we” don’t play it, who do? Are there that many Canadians pining for an online maple fix?

And shouldn’t more attention be paid to these sort of seemingly hugely popular, but neglected games?

• CptPlanet says:

John just being John again. Damned if I ever understand his thought process behind his articles. What we know so far: it will be popular, much like its predecessor; none of us will ever play it.

14. DeathRow says:

Logged in just to say…. Damn, those are some cute mushrooms.

15. Rikard Peterson says:

You don’t care about MapleStory, you say?

No, I say that I’ve never heard of it before (and checking the tags, I find that you haven’t written about it before either), so I have no idea what it is. After this post, I still don’t, except that it’s apparently a phenomenon and “platformy”.

• neurosisxeno says:

Maplestory is a 2D Side-Scrolling MMORPG with an emphasis on platforming elements featuring heavily stylized cartoonish aesthetics. The game was originally developed in Korea by Nexon, and has since expanded to China, Europe, North America, and South-East Asia. It’s very much a traditional Korean MMO–very grindy, killing monsters is the primary form of exp gain, game mechanics based around gambling. The game is free to play and features a cash shop which allows you to buy Cosmetic Items, Pets, Shop Stalls, Boosts (EXP and Gold Pick-Up), and various other items (some of which do affect gameplay). Another big part of teh cash shop is Gachapon Tickets, which allow you to enter a ticket into a machine and get random items as a reward.

A huge part of the game is item customization\scrolling. You can use various scrolls to enhance items, the scrolls have different success rates and the success rate affects the strength of the enhancement (scrolls drop from monsters and Gachapon). You can also get scrolls to remove enhancements and reset the item. On top of that items when they drop “roll” and have a wide range of which any one stat can be (e.g. 58-68 weapon damage and +0-+5 LUK).

It features several classes, everything from Lancers to Warriors to Mages to Bowmen to Thieves. All classes have branching subclasses as well.

Best description I could give off the top of my head.

16. kud13 says:

You’re right. That trailer WAS entirely unhelpful.

all it taught me is that there was an MMO called MapleStory. and it’s getting a sequel.

and since I don’t play multiplayer, you are correct: I will not be playing this.

17. sjheiss says:

I played MapleStory a lot several years ago. Every once in awhile I find a private server and play a bit, since I don’t like a lot of stuff they did in the Big Bang patch. I have a Korean Nexon account, so I might try this out when the beta is released. I only wish they’d release Everplanet in the West, which is a lot of fun. :) I could play it right now if I wanted, but I forgot what little Korean I once knew, so it’s not so easy to play the game.