The Legolation Of Smaug: Lego The Hobbit

By Nathan Grayson on December 17th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

They should probably turn around.

Someday, we will all probably be made of Lego bricks. Based on the ceaseless, inevitable march of Traveler’s Tales’ “Lego The Thing” (not a Lego version of The Thing, which is something that absolutely needs to happen) franchise, it’s only a matter of time. We may as well cherish what little time we have left as easily popped flesh balloons, given that we will soon be born again in jaundiced plastic. For now, though, The Hobbit is next under the Legofication Ray, and it’s looking, well, like The Hobbit, only sillier and made of blocks. Watch the first trailer of Lego The Hobbit below.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but those all seem to be scenes from the first Hobbit film. That said, portions of the second film, Desolation of Smaug, will also be included.

The game will apparently put a big emphasis on combining the unique abilities of the various dwarves, and hilarity will naturally ensue. Also, Warner and Traveler’s Tales are boasting “the most diverse quests of any LEGO videogame to date,” which would be nice if true. I mean, Lego bricks might offer near-infinite combination possibilities, but you can only reassemble the Lego game formula so many ways before deja vu sets in.

Lego The Hobbit looks to be following in the footsteps of Lego Lord of the Rings, which certainly isn’t a bad thing. That said, The Hobbit films are bogged down by large morasses of creeping, malignant tedium where Lord of the Rings is pretty much memorable moment after memorable moment. Can Traveler’s Tales work its lighthearted brand of comedic magic on source material that’s significantly less inspired? I sure hope so. One thing’s for sure: it certainly can’t hurt.

It’ll be out in spring of 2014. Are you ready for another blocky journey into Middle Earth?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Low Life says:

Lego version of The Thing, you say? Here you go, in all its HD glory.

2. Spoon Of Doom says:

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. Longer playtime doesn’t make a (series of) film(s) automatically a better adaptation of the book, at least not beyond a certain point. While I can understand people complaining that there are things missing from the LOTR movies (although I personally thought they did a good job), I think stretching out the much shorter Hobbit over the same amount of time as the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy is a bit overkill.

• TWChristine says:

Yea, when we saw it we came out both saying how awful it was, with me saying how I wouldn’t see the second one. For some reason my spouse disagreed and thought it might be better (however, from what I’ve heard, a lot of people that hated the first thought the 2nd was indeed better, although I can’t see that being hard). I think it partly suffered from being tediously too long with lots of inane filler and just..really uninteresting “epic” parts, and then we also saw it in the increased frame-rate version or whatever it was, and it was AWFUL. It looked like those made for tv historical reenactment films.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

We had to read the book in English class in school, and while my classmates almost unanimously found it boring, I loved it. But the first time I tried watching the first Hobbit movie, I actually fell asleep. Whenever I mention that, I’m usually countered with “Audible gasp, you are a bad person!”. I’m really, genuinely glad to see that I’m not the only one who feels that way after all.

• Turkey says:

Nah. It’s a pretty common criticism that they probably didn’t need to stretch this out to 3 movies.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Tell my friends about this. When I mention that I didn’t really like the first Hobbit movie, pretty much all of them react in a “what’s wrong with you” way.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I liked the Hobbit, so… what’s wrong with you? No, actually, I don’t mind if someone else on the internet has a different opinion than me. I’m glad it did so well despite everyone bashing it. I think the second movie will be even better. I saw the 3D + high frame rate version and it was really different from any other movie with 3D effects, so I’m gonna watch the second and third movie in that as well. I generally think that 3D movies’ effects are nothing special, but the high frame rate added something worthwhile.

• nrvsNRG says:

I must be a masochist; the only 2 movies I’ve bothered going to the cinema for in the last year or so have been the Hobbit films and both times I have left feeling robbed.
      This last one I watched in 3D, hoping it would improve the experience if it turned out to be another dud, but it just made it even more of a chore to sit through *sigh.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Personally, I liked the movie. But I still thought it was far more padded-out than it ought to be. At first I thought it would be the entire story of the book. After all, the book is rather small compared to The Lord of the Ring. I came away somewhat entertained but also disappointed.

Alas, I suspect money prevailed. And perhaps a desire to add more and more action scenes.

3. TWChristine says:

“Based on the ceaseless, inevitable march of Traveler’s Tales’ ‘Lego The Thing’..”

Reminds me of what my spouse said the other day when we were at Local Game Retailer looking for gift ideas for me: “There’s Lego Batman..want that? ….Lego Indiana Jones….Lego Star Wars….What the hell is up with all these Lego games!? There’s Lego everything!”

4. bstard says:

Pff the Hobbit :( Whats next, Leaf by Niggle in 3 parts of 7hours each? This whole Hobbit movies and spinnoff is a fail, the book just has not enough content. Time to pick up the Silmarillion’s stories if Aline wants more Tolkien in the theaters.

• slubberman says:

One word: Túrin.

A movie(series?) based on the children of Húrin and the destruction of the elven kingdoms would be so frickin’ awesome

5. Dave Money says:

[insert Legolas joke here]

• mechabuddha says:

They already did. In Lego Marvel, no less!

• OscarWilde1854 says:

I actually thought they were making a Legolas joke when they said “Legolation of Smaug”.. It took me a second to realize they were inserting the word “lego” and not mashing up “Legolas” and “Smaug”.. since the movie makers decided to add Legolas to The Hobbit unnecessarily I assumed the mashup was hinting at that!

6. spahj8i says:

Jose`s report is cool, on friday I got a gorgeous Renault 4 from having made $9813 this-past/month and a little over 10k last munth. it’s by-far the most-financially rewarding I have ever done. I started this 8-months ago and almost straight away started to make minimum $70, per-hour. view it http://ho.io/Freelance

7. syndicatedragon says:

Brilliant move making a game based on the first two movies in a trilogy! This virtually ensures there will be a LEGO The Hobbit II and LEGO The Hobbit Complete some time in the future. Cha-ching!

8. mxu says:

I remember the time when the lego heads only smiled.

9. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Now all we need is a lego Aliens vs Predator. Based on the Alien and Predator movies, and some of the AVP comics. Can you imagine the chestburster scene made in legos?

10. Darkhorse says:

Travellers Tales have yet to make a bad game *touch erection*

Comment on this story