Fa’el Is A Pretty PC Game With A, Er, Game Boy Companion

By Nathan Grayson on December 18th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

All in all you're just a / 'nother refrigerator magnet on the wall

I do not have any real concept for how high-quality Fa’el – Beyond The Gate‘s platforming or perspective-shifting puzzles will be, but my resistance crumbles in the face of pretty pictures. This “2.75D” world has quite a distinct look to it, drawing on the chunky voxel building blocks of our day but putting a new (and literal) spin on them. That’s hardly the craziest part, though. Fa’el will also support progress transfer (via a password system) to another platform – namely, Nintendo’s positively ancient Game Boy Pocket. Because why not?

Obviously, the Game Boy version won’t look like that, because that would be completely impossible. Unfortunately, details on both the PC and Game Boy versions are relatively sparse. Here’s what the game’s Greenlight concept page is offering at the moment:

• Solve the mystery that links all the different worlds while you travel through them.
  • Fight bosses that will both challenge and amaze you.
  • Warp to the world inside yourself to customize it, improve your abilities, and source special powers.
  • Interact with the worlds and its inhabitants, experiment and have conversations, to uncover the deep history behind Fa’el.
  • Import content from the companion Game Boy game Fa’el – Beyond The Edge via a password system (like in the old times!).

All of that sounds pretty great, like it could add up to be far more than the sum of its hardware-based, Voltron-like parts. Apparently the art style’s set for an overhaul, too, so the final game might look even better.

For now, though, there’s not much else to go on. Not even a vague release window. That said, I certainly plan to keep an eye on this one, and I wish it the best. It would be a terrible shame to see Fa’el fa’il.

__________________

« | »

1. melvar says:

Are they actually going to release a physical gameboy game, or will it just be a ROM for emulators?

Also, I hope the game doesn’t have music as bad as the trailer.

• GameCat says:

Man, if I doesn’t had to worry about money I would start making games for GameBoy Color, PSX and Dreamcast and releasing them on physical cartridges and CDs. I wonder if Nintendo/Sony/Sega would allow official release for such old platforms.

• melvar says:

If it’s out of patent I don’t think they have any say in the matter. It wasn’t official, but some guy released a game called Battle Kid on an NES cart not that long ago, so it can be done.

• jrodman says:

I think NES and its special copy control chip is extremely well understood.
          This does mean you’ll have to fab some sort of IC or use an FPGA or something to make it work with original consoles.

I think the Gameboy Color didn’t have any controls. Probably all you need is a ROM of some kind with the right data bus and the manufacturing capabilities. Getting the molded plastic might be more expensive!

I expect the control mechanisms of the playstation and dreamcast are well understood by now. The “GD-ROM” of dreamcasts probably would be expensive to fabricate now (don’t really know) but if you fit your game on a cdrom it shouldn’t be too bad. The mastering process may be a bit specialized for the psx though, they included an expected series of errors in the data that well-behaving iso9660 software would not tolerate.

• BooleanBob says:

A few companies are still doing it. Super Fighter Team are having a quiet quarter, but have put out SNES and Megadrive games (amongst others) in the not-so-distant past.

• announ says:

A post in the official Devlog says that a very limited batch of physical cartridges will be produced, boxed and with a manual.

2. Skabooga says:

Is this game fa’real?

3. Turkey says:

I feel like all this indie-voxel stuff is somehow our fault for waxing nostalgic about voxel technology and Outcast on the internet all through the ’00s.

4. SuicideKing says:

So now we’re getting Game Boy ports?

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

To paraphrase Albert Einstein: “I don’t know what Half Life 3 will look like, but I know Half Life 4 will be compiled on mahjong tiles”.

5. DestroyYourEgo says:

This looks… this looks pretty sweet. Heading over Steam for support now! ;)

6. ZHat11 says:

Peter`s artlclee is exceptional… I just bought a brand new Lotus Carlton after earning $9041 this-last/month and-also, $10 thousand this past munth. it’s realy the nicest-job I’ve ever done. I began this six months/ago and almost straight away startad making minimum $73, per-hr. find out here http://www.Buzz95.com

7. Jamesac68 says:

Oddly enough, in the article I wrote on this my response to the Gameboy crossover was almost identical. I’m not saying plagiarism, but rather what other kind of response is there? :)

8. cubanresourceful says:

I’m not too sure if you can “export” via password to the GB game or if it’s one way from the GB game to the PC game. Going off of the original description on the Steam page (import content from the companion Game Boy game Fa’el – Beyond The Edge – via a password system…), it looks like it’s a one-way transfer from GB -> PC, and not both ways (ie GB -> PC AND PC -> GB). Unless the description on the Steam page needs to be updated. :)

Comment on this story