What Legacy? – Nosgoth’s Beta Will Soon Be Upon Us

By Nathan Grayson on December 19th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

People have been clamoring for a Legacy of Kain continuation for years now, but I don’t think Nosgoth is exactly what they had in mind. Instead of a story-driven adventurequest, it’s a free-to-play shootything set in some disparate portion of the game’s world. Its fusion of stake-slinging ranged combat and fang-sinking melee could be fantastic, but Square Enix has unintentionally saddled this one with some serious baggage. Will it make everyone happy nonetheless? A beta’s right around the corner, so you’ll be able to gauge the game’s chances soon. For now, though, an alpha trailer’s below.

Nosgoth is many things, but the game Nosgoth is largely these ones:

“In Nosgoth, players take part in savage, team-based PvP combat as Humans and Vampires fight over the fate of a war-ravaged land — relying on an arsenal of ranged weaponry and lethal devices as Humans, or visceral melee attacks and inhuman abilities as Vampires.”

“Players will experience what it is like to be on both sides of the Human-Vampire war in Nosgoth. Choosing from a range of unique classes within each faction, experience is gained during battle in order to customise their look, skill set and equipment.”

You can sign-up for the upcoming closed beta right here.

The game certainly looks action-packed, with only a hint of the series’ notoriously moody atmosphere skulking around in the background. The pouncy, punchy vampires have my attention, but I do wonder how much longevity there’ll be in all of this. Asymmetric class clashes are all well and good, but Nosgoth’s modes and progression will need to be exceptionally fleshed out if Square Enix wants to avoid a fickle free-to-play crowd migrating back to World of Tanks or what have you.

And while Square Enix doesn’t have much F2P experience on PC, it hasn’t exactly set the most promising precedent on mobile platforms. Granted, we’re talking very different ballgames, but still.

What do you think of Nosgoth? Are you even going to give it the time of day/night, or are you too turned off by a series that’s obviously stayed quite far from its roots?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Steven Hutton says:

“I would choose oblivion over this travesty!”

2. Viroso says:

The worst part about all of this is that the vampires have five fingers. But that’s okay, after all these years I learned that, once forgotten, franchises become a marketing boost, so their names and aesthetics can be plastered over some random game people didn’t believe would sell on its own. No hard feelings Square-Enix, this time at least.

3. Slade says:

I did enjoy the LoK DLC of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light since the original voice actors of Kain and Raziel were there to make a hilarious short story. This, however, feels bland. While I do hope SquareEnix would add some background to the Nosgoth lore, I look back to the original series and still think they won’t add any door to open itself during a full moon while I burst someone’s chest yelling “Vae Victis !”.

4. Kefren says:

Pah, that cheesy slow ‘boom’ sound again.

5. sPOONz says:

Oh man. For so long I had hoped LOK series would continue but if I knew it was going to be in the form of a F2P online multiplayer whatnot I would have flushed that dream down the toilet long ago.

6. Turkey says:

Who are these hunters and predators? I thought this game was about draculoids versus humans.

7. The Random One says:

This game is going to suck.

(BECAUSE VAMPIRES GET IT)

(THIS IS THE PUN THREAD IS WHAT I’M GETTING AT HERE)

8. Ironclad says:

Let’s be honest here: the way that Defiance ended, we don’t really need a sequel. Sure, we don’t get closure on how Kain would solve the Hilden problem and the Elder God is only pushed back, not destroyed, but the hopeful, poetic tone of the final cutscene is probably the best send-off we’re going to get. Especially since Amy Hennig has gone to work for Naughty Dog and the chances of them getting the rights are about 3720 to 1.

• strangeloup says:

I am now experiencing a tremulous vision of what could have been: a new Legacy of Kain game with all the polish, attention to detail, and enormous sensation of threat as The Last of Us.

• Xocrates says:

I’m pretty much sure the Hilden are defeated on Blood Omen 2.

Honestly, there are so many time travel shenanigans on the series that it’s hard to know exactly the status by the end of Defiance, however you can make a reasonable case for most of the plotlines being concluded by then.

• mazzratazz says:

The people asking for a singleplayer sequel need to listen to this guy. LoK is probably my favourite game series of all time, but you don’t need to be a life-long pessimist to assume a potential sequel would suck. Most of the story threads have been wrapped up, we already HAVE a suitable ending. A lot of the principal developers behind the original Soul Reaver series, not least of which is writer/director Amy Hennig, have left Crystal Dynamics.

Just look at what happened to Blood Omen 2: different writer(s), which resulted in a subpar story that messed with the Soul Reaver lore. This is first and foremost a series that’s about the strength of the story. If the masterminds behind the narrative aren’t on board, the sequel would suck. I think I’d prefer to have a largely unsoiled memory of the singleplayer series than start inevitably endless debates on whether or not the shitty sequel’s story should be considered canon.

• paddymaxson says:

There’s nothing to stop another great story in the same world though, some prequel to Blood Omen or some awesome sequel with a different set of lead characters with some nice little nods to the original game such as the lead still using Vae Victus as his warcry.

It doesn’t have to be a terrible reboot. If nothing else, Square have shown they have undeniable chops for rebooting/prequelising some incredibly beloved game series, I’d trust them with a Vampiric coming-of-age in Nosgoth

9. JarinArenos says:

I’m reminded very unfavorably of a certain “Shadowrun” shooter game some years back. What idiot gave this the go-ahead?

10. undr337 says:

John`s blurb is cool, I just bought a gorgeous Subaru Impreza from earning $5396 thiss month and would you believe, $10k this past munth. this is certainly the best work I have ever had. I started this four months/ago and pretty much straight away made myself at least $79, per-hour. more information http://ho.io/Freelance

11. 12inchPlasticToy says:

From that first screenshot, I assume this will be vampires vs luchadores. Beware of sunlight, silver, and hurricanrana.

12. kud13 says:

“The LOK franchise… must stay… dead!”

honestly, why are they doing this? even that rumoured Blood Omen 3D remake would’ve been better (despite the fact that it’d have been awful)

• paddymaxson says:

I hope that rumour is true, if by 3d remake you simply mean remaking the game in a modern engine so it feels a bit cleaner

13. Darth Gangrel says:

Looks more like an adaptation/tie-in of Underworld: Awakening than anything Legacy of Kain. The original games (just like with VtM: Bloodlines) are still unmatched when it comes to good vampire games.

14. Kaeoschassis says:

I’m struggling to find even a minimal amount of positive talk of this game, at least in regards to it being a LoK game. Not for the first time, I find myself wondering how companies can ignore such enormous backlashes and continue with projects that seem to be (almost) universally disliked. Am I missing something here?

(Personal opinion? Yeah, not grabbing my attention as a multiplayer shooter, looks awful as a LoK game)

15. Thatich73 says:

my buddy’s sister-in-law makes $84 hourly on the computer. She has been unemployed for ten months but last month her pay check was $19463 just working on the computer for a few hours. hop over to this web-site►●►●►●►

Comment on this story