Don We Now Our Gun Apparel: CS:GO’s Winter Update

By Graham Smith on December 20th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

You can't tell, but they've got Santa hats under those helmets.

It seems like only yesterday that I was writing about development of new maps for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Which is fair but slightly inaccurate, as it was actually Tuesday that I wrote about that. Now the maps are available to play as part of CS:GO’s Winter Offensive update, alongside the first batch of community-made weapon skins to be added into the game.

Over on the Winter Offensive’s site, Valve outlines the additions. It includes the re-built Cobble, the brand new Overpass, the community-made Winter Offensive Case and the tournament-funding Esports Winter Case.

A few days ago I was feeling a little left out. I was looking at Dota 2′s Frostivus event and feeling the sense of excitement and fun that I wasn’t a part of. I was thinking back to the period when Team Fortress 2 was vibrantly alive, and Valve were releasing regular class updates that radically changed the way one of my favourite games played.

Now I feel included again. CS:GO’s tactical semi-realism makes it harder to add new content to than those other games, but like nature and dinosaurs, Valve finds a way. Even if it means adding a strange ‘admire weapon’ button to the game, in which your character, in first-person, turns their implement of death around so they can gaze at the custom paintwork. Which actually only seems strange until you see the shotgun in the Winter Offensive Case that has a giant squid painted on the side. If I owned that, how many more times would I die because I was too busy sneaking an admiring peak?

Guns don't kill people. Colourful artwork on the side of guns kills people.

Only kidding. It’s impossible for me to die any more in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Although at least I’ve not started betting my weapons away yet, like our Stanton. (But only because I haven’t had time).

If you want to get involved, CS:GO is £12/$15 on Steam, the tool for creepily replicating the gun varnishes for your own skins is freely available, or you can just spend time admiring the handiwork of the community at large on the Steam Workshop. I suggest you start with this murder of crows by Sir, You Are Being Hunted’s artist. Partly because I’m biased, and partly because I want easy post-kill quips to make while playing the game.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Syra says:

It was on steam sale for about £3 yesterday… I was tempted, but now it’s more expensive again so I think I’ll wait till it’s on special offer again!

• RosaJHunter says:

my roomate’s half-sister makes $86 every hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for five months but last month her income was $16579 just working on the laptop for a few hours. straight from the source… http://cpl.pw/OKeIJo

• Grey Poupon says:

It’s -75% off on GMG right now.

2. Anthile says:

A shame most weapon designs are incredibly tacky. I like my walnut Nova. Speaking of birds, the omnipresent chickens also have santa hats and reindeer antlers!

• HadToLogin says:

I always thought I have no skills, but looking at some of skins Valve made or chose from Workshop I really think I should do some shit, put it in Workshop and hope Valve random choosing brings me some free money every month.

Some skins are great (Walnut Nova, while nothing special – or maybe because? – is awesome), some are just “good, bad, I’m the guy with the gun”, but some shouldn’t see light of day.

• Skiddywinks says:

Yeh, being a longtime 1.6 and middling Source player, these skins (more like paint jobs) suck donkey dick so far.

We need to some some custom animations or sounds or something. Or even full on different weapons (obviously still functionally identical for balance, like the old days).

3. Low Life says:

I find this article extremely offensive.

4. Leb says:

A friend of mine and I got back into competitive last night after a few month hiatus

However after about an hour of playing the game crashed his video card drivers, he relaunched and tried again at which point he bluescreened. Restarting the PC and joining in again the same thing happened.

Needless to say we were sad pandas.

The bright side – whenevere there is a new crate type in CS:GO it is always overpriced in the community market for the first little while. I got a winter crate drop and sold it for 5 dollars :)
    Same thing happened at the beginning of opp bravo. Between the crates I got in opp bravo and this I’ve gotten maybe 20 dollars from the community store

5. Gap Gen says:

CS:HOHOHO ?

6. The Random One says:

‘Tis the season to be shot at
    Ratatatatat, rat-tat-tat-tat

7. RegisteredUser says:

For anyone into more tactical “one shot, one kill” shooters, you should do yourself the favour of looking into Red Orchestra 2 and its addon, Rising Storm.
    Both are on sale or in bundles a lot, and RO2 is often given away on steam gift sites, with which you can already participate as rifleman(most common class) in Rising Storm.

As squad based / tactical objective based warfare goes, I have yet to find any other game like it.

8. strangeloup says:

I thought for a minute it was going to have weapons with Christmas lights wrapped round them, a la TF2′s Festive weapons.

9. kalirion says:

If you want to get involved, CS:GO is £12/$15 on Steam

Wrong, it’s $7.49 now during the Winter sale sale until January 2, and was $3.75 for an 8-hour period yesterday, and will probably be again during a daily deal or maybe one or more flash sales before the winter sale ends.

10. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

The new version of cbble is a huge improvement; so far, I feel like it plays a lot more smoothly than the cbble of yore, and looks better to boot. Haven’t played Overpass yet, though I have faith in Valve that it will be at least decent. They’ve gotten quite good at this mapmaking lark for cs finally.

The new official Valve crate is a bit disappointing, mostly recycled or recoloured weapons; the community Valve crate, however, contains some great stuff. Hoping to land a few of those beauts for myself.

11. Brifyinutly says:

my neighbor’s ex-wife makes $87/hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for ten months but last month her check was $13286 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit this site……

12. LTK says:

You can climb mountains in CS:GO?