Have No Fear: The Division On PC Won’t Be Horrible

By Nathan Grayson on December 20th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Earlier this year, Ubisoft surprised precisely no one by announcing that trigger-happy paranoia propaganda MMO The Division would, in fact, be coming to PC after all. You know, for three whole seconds there, I was kinda but not really a little bit worried. There is, however, a difference between an earnest PC development push and a port so sloppy it ought to be mummified in paper towels and flushed down the toilet. So where will The Division end up? Well, to hear developer Massive Entertainment tell it, there’s nothing to worry about here.

In a community Q&A, Massive tackled the PC question head-on:

“As you know, Massive has its roots in PC development. We are working hard and we want to make sure that we have a very high quality experience on PC. You can be sure that our PC version won’t be a port, but a full-fledged, optimized version! We want to create the best game possible regardless of what platform you play on.”

In other words, the PC version will be its own deal, and it’ll both look as attractive as a disease-infested apocalypscape can and run well. Or at least, that’s the plan.

Previously, Massive created the Ground Control and World in Conflict series, so its PC dev cred checks out. It probably also helps that The Division is a “next-gen” game, so Massive can more or less go all-out on graphical bells and whistles. Again, though, optimization is the biggie. Even games that look like they should be running on a graphing calculator can chug and sputter if all of their bolts aren’t tightened properly.

Assuming Massive is given the space and resources to follow through, this is very good news. And who knows? Maybe if we’re really lucky, Ubisoft will even give it permission to unleash the GODRAYS.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. dragonfliet says:

The demo video they released for this was jaw-droppingly beautiful. This will be one of the games I upgrade my PC for, methinks.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Do you mean the video of the demo, or do you mean there’s an actual, downloadable, playable demo? I’d be very interested in the latter just to see the pretties in the flesh.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Anyone know if this will have a first person mode? I can’t help it, third person shooting just makes my fillings vibrate.

3. Psymon says:

But, will it have uPlay?

4. Discopanda says:

Ubisoft has a habit of screwing over PC gamers with little to no warning beforehand. It’s still a wait-and-see, I think!

5. Harlander says:

That screenshot’s pretty much in the region of “I mistook that for a photo”. I don’t recall the demo footage being quite so pretty, but it sure was pretty

• ulix says:

It actually was this pretty. Watch it again and crank up the video resolution to 1080p. Especially the beginning (where the screenshot is from) is very impressive.

• Talksintext says:

It was all near-photorealistic.

6. RPSRSVP says:

There is a older gameplay video that looks promising. The thing I’m worried about is whether the focus is on coop. Multiplayer games are too easily exploited by trolls when there are things to do in game besides shooting the other team, like DayZ for example.

Youtube gameplay video:

7. ulix says:

I’m guessing the release date for PC will be the same as for consoles?

• SuicideKing says:

Well they don’t call it The Division for nothing, now.

8. Stevostin says:

Game looks stunning.

9. Kadayi says:

Game is for next gen systems. It’s not porting from the 360.

10. Keyrock says:

Have No Fear: The Division On PC Won’t Be Horrible

Can’t say that for sure. We know it won’t be a shitty port, but it could still wind up being a shitty game. Hopefully not.

11. Lagwolf says:

I would rather wait for a decent PC version than have it right away & it be a crap console port (that requires a controller to play effectively).

12. yhancik says:

It doesn’t look half-bad! (save for that chroma shift effect.. lens flares are ridiculous enough but condonable. But not this)

13. DanMan says:

Pardon my shriveled old brains, but weren’t Ground Control and World in Conflict full of bugs (at release)?

14. mehteh says:

The engine will be optimized for PC, but itll most likely be just another console focus design game like every other AAA game. yawn

15. Megakoresh says:

Despite their DRM history I think Ubisoft was always on the better side of the big publishers. They don’t do a great job, but they do a decent one, which is far more than what I can say about EA or Activision.

16. TheVGamer says:

To be fair to Ubisoft, they’ve been getting better about PC ports and when they do a shitty job (AC3 as the most recent example), they’re quite open about them being bare bones and not being a priority. The PC version of this one will be delayed by two weeks, don’t get me wrong, but they’re usually pretty honest about this stuff, at least for a multi-billion game company.

17. Brifyinutly says:

my neighbor’s ex-wife makes $87/hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for ten months but last month her check was $13286 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit this site……

18. KillahMate says:

I won’t say it’s the ‘best looking’, but it’s certainly the most photorealistic game I’ve ever seen.

19. PopeRatzo says:

Does anyone thing that Massive would tell us if the PC port was going to be horrible?

I hardly think reassurance from the developer is anything we should hang our hats on.

• FriendlyFire says:

Perhaps, but this *is* Massive. They have a history of making pretty good PC-focused games. World in Conflict is still one of my favorite RTS games of all time and surprisingly enough the campaign was actually good.

• Stardreamer says:

Yeah, that’s not saying much either these days. Not after Epic, id…

At the birth of the last console generation we saw many tradiaitionally PC devs swan-dive towards consoles. History has a tendency to repeat itself.

20. Shooop says:

The gameplay trailer they had before didn’t look too good – guns looked as effective as throwing toothpicks at people. Worse, they seem to be suggesting the game plays like DayZ – you wander around with maybe a friend or two and just kill everyone else you see.

Why is it so hard for people put that eye candy in a game actually worth playing?

• Crowley65 says:

From what information I had gathered when The Division was first announced, it’s not just a big deathmatch. There will be objectives, or quests or whatever, but you’ll be going against other players to complete these objectives. About the deathmatch-y bits, there will be multiple factions.

Taken from IGN: “Some factions will be helpful, some will be harmful, and the remainder of FEMA and those type of organizations will be the biggest help in the game.”

Some gameplay footage was released as well that basically illustrated the objectives as “free police officers from PD, this faction doesn’t like that you did this so they’ll try to kill you now.” idk

My real peeve with this game is the inclusion of using a 3rd party tablet to accomplish things that people with those tablets can do. Essentially getting an advantage because you’re less likely to just up and buy one just for this game.

EDIT: Most FPS MMOs tend to have a mid-high TTD, that much is just a staple of the genre itself (though I do agree with you).

21. Ringwraith says:

Oh, this is where Massive went after World in Conflict?
    Interesting to know, their games were always quite well-built.
    Ground Control II in particular had some excellent dynamic graphical scaling, as the detail would increase the more you zoomed in, and you could zoom in right to infantry-level.
    Then you look up at the sky and see the brightly-coloured streaks of artillery carve up and down. Good stuff.

22. malkav11 says:

MMO is one of those genres of game where if you’re not making the PC version lead SKU, you’re doing it wrong. Arguably you’re doing it wrong just by trying to stuff them onto console at all, especially in an age where everybody’s already charging for multiplayer connectivity, but that didn’t stop them with the FPS. :P

23. Frank says:

Nah, that’s a screenshot of HL3.

24. Darth Gangrel says:

“Maybe if we’re really lucky, Ubisoft will even give it permission to unleash the GODRAYS.” I’m an atheist, so I find that possibility outrageous!!!!!

No, not really. I don’t find even find a lousy port outrageous, though perhaps I should feel like that. I hope, but do not fully expect that The Division will be good and not divisive.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Godrays are awesome. Just their mention immediately makes me recall how The Zone felt. Ahhhh The Zone. I loved that place **produces guitar from nowhere and makes inventory sound**

• SuicideKing says:

Division’s already has “godrays” (or light shafts, if you find that better). Watch the initial reveal video, there’s a part through a corridor where there’s on coming through the window.

25. 2late2die says:

It’s a Ubisoft game so I’ll believe it when I see it.
    I do hope they really stand by their word because this is one of my most anticipated games of the new year and I want it to be good.

26. DatonKallandor says:

MMO that’s also on consoles is a HUGE warning signal. That fact means the patching pace is going to be glacial, and the UI is going to be atrocious.

• Tayh says:

This.
      UI, controls and combat, specifically, are my big worries about this game.

27. FullMetalMonkey says:

I forgot how pretty this game looks. That screenshot in the headline looks almost real.

28. Midnitte says:

“It probably also helps that The Division is a “next-gen” game, so Massive can more or less go all-out on graphical bells and whistles. Again, though, optimization is the biggie. Even games that look like they should be running on a graphing calculator can chug and sputter if all of their bolts aren’t tightened properly.”

Unmentioned is also the fact that the PS4 and Xbox One are pretty much off the shelf computer parts – so structurally they aren’t very different to develop for, not to mention things like AMD’s Mantle being released.