Steel Yourself: FTL Advanced Edition’s Adds Metal Lifeforms

By Graham Smith on December 20th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

New ships! On which to die.

We reported last month about FTL’s free, Chris Avellone-penned expansion, but now we know more about exactly what it contains. In a post over on the FTL site, the team introduce a new race of “metallic lifeforms” called The Lanius.

Just when I thought I had enough ways to get all my friends killed.

The Lanius are scavengers who seek out metal deposits, to feast on the scrap and detritus left from intergalactic battles. They don’t need oxygen to survive and even suck the oxygen out of any room they’re in. Not by being so funny that no one can pay attention to anyone else, either. This is bad news for my tiny RPS crew on their starbound voyages, as they just love that oxygen stuff.

The post over on the FTL site has a bunch of GIFs showing off the new race’s animations. My favourite is this melty demise:

Not even a thumbs up.

The post also outlines a host of other new additions, including new playable ship types, drones and an emergency backup system that can provide a brief push of power when you need it most. The earlier announcement post also outlined a bunch of quality-of-life style features that would make it into the game as well, including the ability to save a set of crew positions and then order everyone onboard to assume them at any point. “Battle stations!” I’ll yell at my computer, before pressing the button and watching in horror as oxygen-sucking metallic monsters teleport onboard and suffocate the crew of the USS RPS.

Is it wrong, on a PC games site, to mention that the expansion will release early next year alongside an iPad version? Because I will be lying on my couch when I get us all killed.

And in the game.

, , .

1. LionsPhil says:

So they fly around in giant pocket knives?

• KDR_11k says:

It looks like a lo-fi voice would invite you to “shoot the core”.

2. Mr. Mister says:

The best way tow ait for Advanced Edition is by playing Captain’s Edition, the de-facto content-adding overhaul mod for FTL.

I love’em focus beams.

3. Lemming says:

Well there goes my primary tactic of trying to trap enemies in rooms as I open the airlock and suffocate them!

• LionsPhil says:

I suspect that’s a major factor in their design, yes…

I wonder if they’ll have done anything about the boss, and the Galaxy’s Unluckiest Gunner.

4. Discopanda says:

Agh. I am excited about this FTL expansion to an unhealthy degree. I hope they make a sequel at some point.

darkChozo says:

So, what’s the over-under on there being a Lanius ship variant that starts without an oxygen subsystem?

6. SillyWizard says:

It’s about time these guys became a faction in a video game — http://goo.gl/4CGlu1

7. ain says:

You can man the sensors now? Oh my.

darkChozo says:

I wonder what manning sensors will do? You can’t really have the +X% boost that the other mannable subsystems do, at least with the current sensor setup. Maybe it’ll give a boost to accuracy, or something like that?

8. SillyWizard says:

The appropriate terminology for your screen-yelling would be “General quarters!” or “GQ!” in a pinch.

Also: shouldn’t these metally guys get rusty if they suck up a bunch of oxygen?

• SillyWizard says:

Actually, if I do say so myself, that might be a neat gimmick: kill all the other life-forms by depriving them of oxygen; kill these things by over-oxidizing them. Finally have a good reason to max out your oxy-pump.

9. Nenad says:

I demand multiplayer and co-op!

Jonfon says:

Great. These guys scupper the holographic crewed robot ship mod I made for ftl. Which is fair enough. I always felt sorry for mantis pirates when they boarded an o2 less ship with expendible crew.

Looking very forward to this. Ftl was brilliant fun.

11. Brifyinutly says:

my neighbor’s ex-wife makes $87/hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for ten months but last month her check was $13286 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit this site……

• teije says:

You would think these spambots would have the basic courtesy to get their math correct before spamming. At $13286 for $87/hour, that works out to 158.9195402298851 hours of work.

12. Nettle says:

This is a test comment for Kirrus. Also I need to play FTL again at some point.

13. Sidewinder says:

Okay, show of hands: how many of you saw that and mentally screamed “Chryssalid! Chyrssalid! Get the plasma guns!”?

14. czc says:

I wonder if I’ll manage to beat the advanced edition. Haven’t beaten the standard edition yet.

• teije says:

Me too. Love the game but suck badly at it. Now I’ll suck at a whole new Advanced level.

That sounds kind of dirty.

15. RanDomino says:

Oh my god yes the Battle Stations button is so necessary. I found myself desperately wanting it a few months ago when I was playing FTL frequently.

16. Piratepete says:

FTL has taught me that I fail as a gamer after 30 years of gaming. I have logged 70 hours playing this and have still never finished it on easy. I love it and hate it in equal measure. I have read all the guides and followed all the tactics and still have never managed to do it. My shame is complete. You may now take the piss :(

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I’m sure you’re a wonderful human being. With at least one flaw being (if flaw it is) that you refuse to give up after you stopped having fun. If you stopped having fun, that is. Otherwise, carry on.

No, I’m not your mother.

phuzz says:

Plus the new edition will allow you to rename your crew, so you can indeed now fly around in the USS RPS, just as long as you don’t let John man the medbay.

• Malagate says:

You could already rename your crew, at least in the hangar at the start of your voyage anyway. If you can rename any crew member at any time however, that would be new and sweet!

Really looking forward to this, played 91 hours & always on Normal. Took about 80 of those hours before I could unlock the last (amazing) vessel of the fleet, so I hope this new one is a lot easier to acquire!