Thief Trailer Features Queen Of Beggars, Usual Worries

By John Walker on December 20th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

New Thief trailer = new Thief worries? Well, the worry here would be a complete lack of any in-game footage, this close to the game’s next delay of its release date. Although we do learn that the game is apparently about a rat who must escape from some newspaper clippings.

The game is currently set for an ocean-based staggered release from the 25th to the 28th of February, giving Eidos Montreal another two months in which to announce its next slip. Accompanying today’s new trailer is a “factsheet”, which rather troublingly chooses to list the release date as simply “2014″. It’s not clear if this is Gregorian 2014, or perhaps the Saka calendar’s in 79 years time. We also learn that it features unprecedented immersion!

UNPRECEDENTED IMMERSION Become one with the world thanks to ground-breaking visual elements and a truly tactile and visceral first-person experience. THIEF™ delivers unprecedented immersion through sights, sounds and artificial intelligence.

“immersion”, “visual”, “tactile”, “visceral”

HOUSE!

Oh gawd, I so desperately hope they can pull this one out of the bag. In the last few months they’ve announced more about what they’re taking out of the game, than what they’re putting in. XP went in October, QTEs went in November, both possibly good news, but also indicative of a team not fully in control of their vision for the game. A game that wasn’t too impressive when we played it back in June.

But there were similar worries ahead of Deus Ex: HR, and boss-fights aside, that proved to be a rather good game. So I cling to that, because I enormously want more Thief, and I would love it so much if this delivers that.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. SanguineAngel says:

Oh look! Granny rags

• Kollega says:

The rip-offiness is strong in this one.

Seriously, though… what the hell, Square Enix? Your “follow za leadah” is so obvious it’s not even funny.

• CelticPixel says:

Oh come on, Dishonored hardly invented it.

• Kollega says:

I know Dishonored hasn’t invented this character type, or any others, but my point was that this just smacks of “Let’s be just like Dishonored!”. Even though, as someone down in the comments pointed out, Thief is the big brother to Dishonored – not the other way around.

• CelticPixel says:

Dishonored was trying to be like Thief (although they did a great job of making it their own after the fact), and now Thief is just trying to be like Thief, but being accused of trying to be like Dishonored. Also the fact they’re both steeped in that steampunk London setting means they’re likely to be pulling the same influences – plague, brothel’s, etc

• jrodman says:

Brothel’s .. what?
            </snark>

• Baines says:

Thief isn’t trying to be Thief, though. It is trying to be Dishonored, or very much trying to be a modern “AAA game”, which is the same direction Dishonored took.

• Terragot says:

Does seem a bit soon for a Dishonored remake…

• Vandelay says:

The Old Hag in Deadly Shadows was a pretty significant character, so the series already has precedent for this figure.

• SanguineAngel says:

Yes that is true I suppose but I am not convinced that is the sole motivation in selecting her as a principle character in this particular game.

Perhaps I need my tinfoil hat but it does appear to me that someone here is quite blatantly duplicating elements of Dishonored’s template, perhaps in an effort to produce a parity product in order to appeal the same market

• DatonKallandor says:

The Hag in Thief 3 was a completely different archetype. She was a ghost story monster for most of the game, until the player found out the truth, and then she wasn’t a hag at all, but a bodysnatching witch. She only was an old hag for one scene when she lost her powers.

• RosaJHunter says:

my roomate’s half-sister makes $86 every hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for five months but last month her income was $16579 just working on the laptop for a few hours. straight from the source… http://cpl.pw/OKeIJo

• Lagwolf says:

Yep, admit that was my first reaction too.

2. Rich says:

Maybe when this cones out I’ll finally get around to playing Dishonored.

• Teovald says:

As long as you don’t expect Dishonored to be the new thief, it is an awesome experience. No reason to ignore it, it is not without its flaws but it is an awesome first person sneaking game.
      Moreover, I think its universe is one of the few that equals Thief’s one in its richness and originality.
      It is even on sale on Steam right now, no reason to let it pass by.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Seconded.

• Nenjin says:

I held off for a long time on Dishonored. At like $10 I felt I got a good game out of it. To me it’s a little closer to Bioshock in design than to Thief though. Just the way the areas are linked together, the way side rooms and collectibles are done. But it is quite a good stealth game. I went non-lethal just for the challenge of it, and I think it really delivered the best playthrough, where just being a murder machine wouldn’t have let its good parts shine as bright.

• Skiddywinks says:

If the idea of Thief crossed with BioShock interests you, you should love it.

3. karthink says:

Eh, I can bear all the hand-holding and focus mechanics. Where this game lost me is with the promos appearing to place Garrett on a ‘your-city-needs-you’ reluctant-superhero narrative arc, complete with secret watchtower lair. It feels like we’re losing one of games’ most unique protagonists.

But then I’ve been playing Thief: Deadly Shadows and that game already involved Garrett in Keeper prophesies. {shrug}

• Kaeoschassis says:

He’s always been wrapped up in the prophecies, and he’s always been reluctant about it. Deadly Shadows (which I adore, as a game in its own right) definitely painted him in more of a classic protagonist light, it’s true, and yet he still never ‘felt’ like the ‘reluctant hero’. I can’t place how they made it work, just that, for me, it did. Even in Deadly Shadows you were still, first and foremost, a thief.

The plot and its eventual ending have plenty to discuss on that topic but I want to avoid spoilers so I’m just acknowledging it and moving on.

I will probably play the new Thief. I strongly suspect I will enjoy it. But I have to agree that the light they’re portraying the new character (and he is, let’s be honest) in is not nearly as appealing to me.

4. Niko says:

Tactile? So will the game come with haptic interface?

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Truly tactile and visceral… it will come with a haptic feedback controller that actually punches you in the gut.

5. dolgion1 says:

Please Thief, be good. How I wish for this game to prove all my worries unnecessary. We all can be skeptical and hate on the ideas presented thus far. I’ve done it too. But at the end of the day, the best possible outcome is if Eidos proves us wrong and that Thief is a great game that brings the core gameplay and values of the original into the modern age. I was happy with Human Revolution, even though prior to release I thought it looked like an irritatingly try-hard Blade Runner wannabe. Turned out that it had some of the best world-building seen in games in recent years.

6. TheTingler says:

The reason I’m holding faith with Thief is that literally everything being naysayed about it right now is the same stuff that people did to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Personally I think if the AI is sorted it looks fine to me.

Nevertheless, you’re right about the lack of in-game footage in the trailer being worrying. The last “character trailer” on Basso had plenty, so this one should at least had some. And the 2014 date, well… I highly doubt it’ll be February now. I’m betting August. When did Deus Ex HR and, um, Dishonored come out again?

• Syra says:

To be fair I played DXHR for a few hours and hated it, felt like a jump back in time to when videogames were awkward and interfaces were terrible on pc. I’m not giving up hope on this one yet though.

• Dave Tosser says:

It’s a common point made in these comments that we shouldn’t be so bitter and hateful because Human Revolution turned out alright. The problem with this point is that, for some of us bitter and hateful people, Human Revolution did not turn out alright.

• Marik Bentusi says:

I believe Thief production overlapped with that of DXHR (at least pre-production), so it may just be two different teams of the same dev studio working here.

On the other hand, DXHR had murderhobo-or-sneakthief-multipath, XP-for-headshots and takedown cinematics, so this could also be them trying to carry over tools and methods that don’t translate well into this franchise and genre.

On the other other hand, DXHR didn’t have something as blasphemous as contextual jumping. And people wonder why Multiplayer and Sandboxes are enjoying such popularity…

7. MrThingy says:

“What’s yours is mine.”

I’m assuming what you have, of course, is a pervading sense of misery, disappointment and dread.

8. Glottis1 says:

Why are they trying so hard to make this game Dishonored? Thief is big brother to Dishonored not the other way around. I cant belive this was made by same people who made Deus Ex: HR. Deus ex was so innovative and this is completely opposite.

9. Syra says:

Dear RPS,

I love you, really I do, but your overwhelming bias towards this game is grating on me. I get that it’s not the Thief you played in your formative years and you want to be a purist, but Deadly Shadows was a great game even though people still complain about it not being thiefy enough. Different doesn’t mean bad.

No one will take your old Garrett away from you, and you will always have the dark project. Can we just accept this new numerically titled game is a reboot that will change the nature of the mechanics and every aspect of the world other than a few basic themes, and then move on and judge it on its own merits now? Thanks!

Yours sincerely

Syra

• SanguineAngel says:

I get what you’re saying Syra but on the other hand – it would be really nice to see a new Thief game in the same vein as the old ones. Interesting characters are few and far between in gaming and I do feel like developers should be jumping on any chance to write them. The standard archetypes are dull, tired, creatively bankrupt and a dime a dozen. Sure, in isolation they may be good fun but in the wider context…. we could do with more variety in our protagonists and supporting characters.

Secondly, the devs/publisher are and have been very pointedly asserting that the game is a true successor and sequel to the original Thief games and so if that is not the case there is an element of deception or ineptitude and miss-selling that probably shouldn’t be applauded.

Having said that, it may turn out to be a good game in its own right. If that’s the case then that would be a silver lining.

• Vandelay says:

There has been a lot of negativity thrown at this one, but I prefer that to the usual gushing that we get from previews. Game journos really need to start telling developers when something is crap, instead of the non-stop gushing that they normal give. RPS is one of the few places that does say they are worried about the quality of an upcoming release and I wouldn’t want them to stop.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

My problem with the coverage is that it’s gone far too far the other way, and seems to be drumming up a large amount of unwarranted ill-will. When things like the announcements about customisable difficulty levels and UI are being ignored (things I remember were being requested from back in the days of Deadly Shadows) it starts to smack of shenanigans and agenda. Or at best a kind of ‘lets kick Thief to the ground’ bandwagon jumping.

It’s a shame, because all I wanted from RPS was balanced reporting: the concerns and the positives. Annoyingly we’re only getting the first bit. I appreciate it’s having a troubled development, but that’s nothing new in the games industry, and needn’t mean a crappy game. Admittedly I was worried about focus, XP and QTEs, but the first is optional, and the other two have gone now. If that means that they take another six months to iron things out, then fine.

• bill says:

I came in to disagree with Syra (which I still do), but I actually now want to say that I agree with you.

I am rather worried that this game will entirely miss the point of Thief, and I do care about that, even if I already have the old Thief. But you have also persuaded me that the negativity and just posting snark about trailers isn’t as useful as actually posting some information about the game.

I only get my gaming news from RPS, so if they only post snark (and admittedly worrying trailers) then that’s the impression I’m going to get.
          It definitely sounds like the build they played had major issues, but it also sounds like it may have changed since then… based on your post, as I haven’t heard about any of that on RPS.

More informative posts, less snark please.
          (though sarcasm is fine)

• Emeraude says:

The problem is that in this newest case of body-snatching, they took a game that was not only successful, but a game that is critically revered.

Fans of the original Tomb Raider are going to pester about the new game having little to nothing in common with the original from a design standpoint, but fans don’t matter. Only sales do.

But take a game that is beloved by the community of game critics, and suddenly all you have is bad press.

The infamous “ghosting ? You mean like going through walls” Q&A session was something of a rarity in video game journalism; not only were the question tough, hard-bitting and on topic, but you could literally feel the aggressiveness of the crowd toward the developer.

• hilltop says:

Could you furnish a link, if it is not too much hassle? Read your comment and wanted to see it for myself but failed to find it on a cursory search.

(This is not meant to sound at all hostile! I find your comments very informative and share much of your measured skepticism towards the game).

• Emeraude says:

A quick research gave me that Thief – #EGX 2013. Not the one I saw originally, but it’s the same event… I think ? Starts around 29 minutes.

• hilltop says:

Thanks, will check it out.

• Emeraude says:

Well, focus is optional but what we’ve seen of gameplay so far isn’t exactly reassuring: the traps can be seen trough walls via focus and you have to follow the mechanisms to the switch that can turn them off -we don’t know how things are going to work without focus; the XP is out, but the character progression system is still in; as far as we know, the QTEs are out, but the cutscenes are still in.

Just feel like half steps, worth praising, maybe, but that don’t seem to address the issues people had with the new game past a cosmetic level.

• Syra says:

I wouldn’t necessarily prefer negativity in any way, I like honesty, but to me this has become judging a game based on its differences to a game from over a decade ago instead of for the game it is. That’s unwarranted prejudice in my eyes.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

One can judge a thing in both ways. For instance, I watched Alien Resurrection last week. It is a crappy film taken on its own merits, but it’s also quite poor at taking and furthering the defining elements of Alien.

As for Thief 4, it’s very hard to judge on its own merits yet when there’s only the PR releases and previews to go on. So you have to extrapolate from that, and that extrapolation is not looking very optimistic.

• Sinomatic says:

That’s essentially the burden the devs chose to bear by taking on Thief. If you don’t want the giant eye of cynicism cast over you at every turn, don’t try and take on a classic with a longstanding, die-hard fanbase?

That’s not to say that I don’t think games should never have sequels/prequels or reboots etc, simply that if you’re going to try and capitalise on an old-name for whatever reason(s) (the character/story/setting, the nostalgia, pre-existing fanbase etc) that you have to do it exceedingly well, understand why the franchise worked in the first place and have solid reasoning behind any changes that are introduced and communicate what you’re doing clearly to what will, quite naturally, be an already worried audience.

• derbefrier says:

Nope not gonna happen. Its not as if the cynasisim is blind. We know quite a bit about the game already plent of the press has done previews by now and it just doesn’t sound like its gonna live up to the thief name. Also about that if they wanted this game judged on its own merits they shouldn’t have named it thief. If you teliing us your making a new thief game it better damn well be a thief game and not some watered down bullshit. With tge thief name skapped on it to sell more copies.

With that said if it turns out this is the best thief game ever made I will happily play and praise it but come on we have seen enough to know that is not going to be the case already.

• Stardreamer says:

If you’re bystander to a car-crash, you don’t waste time or energy praising the vehicles or drivers involved.

• Emeraude says:

Dear RPS,

I love you, really I do, but your overwhelming bias towards Bomberman: Act Zero is grating on me. I get that it’s not the Bomberman you played in your formative years and you want to be a purist, but even though people still complain about it not being bombermany enough, different doesn’t mean bad.

Sorry, had to do it.

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

I agree that people need to keep an open mind about things more often on the web, but RPS has been pretty consistent in giving (decent) reasons why they’re concerned. (In My Opinion.)
      If you can justify your negativity I feel it goes a long way toward absolution. Also, I feel fairly certain that if the game is in fact “good” I’m sure RPS’ editors will be the first to say they’re glad they were wrong. (They better be at least! :p)

And while I do agree to an extent that a game needs to be judged on it’s own merits, when you’re talking about a legacy franchise it also must be judged against criteria set by its predecessors.
      Resident Evil 5 is a great example of this. It’s a fun game in it’s own right, but as a Resident Evil game it’s terrible.

“Why is this a problem if it’s fun?” You might say. Well the truth is that when I buy a Resident Evil Game, there’s certain things I want to get out of it; a certain “Resident Evil-ness” as it were. If it doesn’t provide that, then than what’s the point even? It’s got to scratch that itch or else there’s no point in it bearing the name.

But that’s not to say a game can’t dramatically change up it’s franchise format and presentation and still work. Obviously franchises have to evolve or die, but in changing it up you have to be able to hold sight on some aspect of that core “Franchise-ness” and infuse that into your reimagining.

Ironically, Resident Evil 4 (I feel) is a good example of this latter idea (without getting into specifics). In fact 90% of what Resident Evil 5 got wrong is because of it misunderstanding what Resident Evil 4 got right.

So now we come back around to Thief. Will the new Thief be a Resident Evil 4 or a Resident Evil 5? That is the question on everyone’s tongues and I don’t think that RPS is out of bounds in being a bit cynical and fearful about the matter.

Getting it wrong is, after all, far easier than getting it right.

10. dogsolitude_uk says:

Yay. New Thief stuff. Lets kick it…

So There are similarities between Thief and Dishonored. That much we knew when Dishonored came out. Those games are cousins, fine no problem.

So the marketing dept have shoved together a bunch of buzzwords in a press release. Name me a marketing dept that *doesn’t* do that.

“Accompanying today’s new trailer is a “factsheet”, which rather troublingly chooses to list the release date as simply “2014″. It’s not clear if this is Gregorian 2014, or perhaps the Saka calendar’s in 79 years time. We also learn that it features unprecedented immersion”

Wow.

Come on RPS, this is getting painful and tired. You’ve still *not* covered the highly customisable skill levels (http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Stealing-Time-Episode-4?theme=thief) or any of the positives about this game, you *have* played the game and seen in game footage, and there’s been a really good interview with the guys behind it in the VGX pre-game trailer thing here, which has also been ignored: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/lxtzcy/thief-vgx-2013-pre-show–thief

None of that has been covered, just “It’s Dishonored rip off”, “it doesn’t have a ‘thing’”, “it’s a trailer with no gameplay footage”, “I’m concerned”, “OMG they’ve changed the mechanics and removed QTEs and XP”.

None of these strike me as reasonable concerns. I don’t know what Eidos/Squeenix or the Thief team have done to annoy you, but this is getting rather tiresome, and the worst thing is I thought I could rely on RPS for comprehensive, balanced coverage of a game I’m interested in instead of a constant kick-fest.

• TheTingler says:

Well, “I’m concerned” is possibly a reasonable concern, but while I agree that there’s still cause to be optimistic all RPS can do is report on what’s there now, and they have concerns. It’s up to Eidos Montreal to address them and make Thief great when it comes out.

And you can’t deny not having any gameplay footage or a release date in a trailer two months before the game is supposedly out isn’t a good sign.

• Jenuall says:

The “Tales of Dunwall” or whatever they were called didn’t feature any gameplay footage did they?

• KenTWOu says:

I’m pretty sure that another ten minutes of gameplay footage will not explain to me Thief’s level design or its AI complexity, both are the most important things of any stealth game IMO including Thief 1,2 and 3.

• Runs With Foxes says:

RPS has actually played the thing though, which presumably is more than you’ve done.

• hilltop says:

This hardly changes the fact that they have failed to cover the things he mentioned in his comment. The Wot I Think will be worthwhile, but this utter nonsense of feigned calender confusion, the game not having a “thing”, etc. is becoming valueless.

11. kament says:

I should probably skip anything RPS has to say about the game, because they never say anything useful about it, and jump straight to the comment section. There’s at least a chance I learn something new about upcoming Thief, thanks dogsolitude_uk.

• DatonKallandor says:

Also known as “paid shill commenter”. I guess the Eidos marketing budget is paying off.

• kament says:

Are you saying that honest coverage means not mentioning anything positive (as in hard facts)? Because I remember first link in the comment in question being pointed at before. (Found it: that was KenTWOu’s comment; thanks, man). “Nice”, was the response, “I might just mention it.” Yeah, right.

I don’t care in the slightest about “paid shill commenters” (how do you figure, exactly?). I just want something to read about the actual game and not Mr. Walker’s worries. Is that too much to ask? Ok, back to square one, then: RPS is useless when it comes to Thief and the comment section is much more informative.

• mukuste says:

So everyone who doesn’t bash a game they haven’t even played based on their rose-tinted nostalgia goggles is a “paid shill commenter”. Sure thing.

Gosh, it’s a trailer without gameplay footage! Surely that means the game is terrible!

• kament says:

(oops, reply fail)

• jonahcutter says:

No. But for-pay sock-puppets on forums are a reality. It’s pretty common on political forums. The idea that large game corporations with multi-million dollar games about to release wouldn’t stoop to such tactics is naive.

And in regards to games, it’s likely to manifest pretty much only as positive/defensive posts for particular games.

I’ve no idea nor guess on whether the poster he accused is legit or not. But it’s always wise for anyone who participates in forums where products or ideas are being evaluated to have their eyes open and filters up.

• hilltop says:

Remains incredibly offensive to accuse the commenter of being paid for, particularly given the mild point that was made. Really quite atrocious.

Thanking dogsolitude-uk for an informative comment is hardly money well-spent if it was a marketing department sock-puppet. And the point remains – the comments section tends to have more information on the upcoming game than the RPS posts alone. This is useful to point out for people like me, who don’t read many other gaming websites.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

Yeah, paid for shills are indeed a reality, as is astroturfing (bear that in mind when reading comments on news sites about protests, the economy etc.). Microsoft got caught doing it with the dog-ugly Windows 8. But as per my comment below I can assure you I’m *not* a paid shill, just someone who’s highly irritated by the snark:unbiased information ratio here, and losing a lot of respect for RPS as a result.

• Kadayi says:

Gotta love the you disagree, therefore = Shill accusations. Heaven forbid people have dissenting opinions and don’t readily subscribe to the latest group think without question.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

I can assure you I’m not a paid shill. I’m a web developer for a UK news and media company, and am in no way connected to Eidos or Square Enix. I’ve also been a regualr reader, and some time commenter on RPS for a few years now. I’m an old gamer who was introduced to gaming back in 2000-ish by Thief: The Dark Project, and so Thief has a special place in my heart.

And I have no axe to grind against RPS. They all seem to be very nice chaps.

Like everyone else here, I hope it’s going to be good, and not the Thief equivalent of Deus Ex: Invisible War, a dumbed-down console game. Like everyone else here I want to see a dark, atmospheric Thief that’s true to the spirit of the Metal Age and The Dark Project, and has the atmosphere of the Shalebridge Cradle from Deadly Shadows. I also want a real test of my skill as a player.

Like everyone else I was somewhat horrified by Focus, XP and QTEs, and upset about their decision to replace Stephen Russell. I signed the ‘Thank You’ card thread on the Eidos forums for Stephen too if that means anything.

I too have been concerned about the patchy development of Thief. It’s clearly been in development hell for a while, but I honestly don’t think it deserves this constant negativity. STALKER had a really shoddy ride, but came out as a flawed classic.

What’s getting me about RPS’ coverage of Thief though is that they have missed two, very key positive parts of the development, customisable UI and customisable difficulty level (see links above). Why? These are important bits of information about the game, which to me look pretty damned fine. Another RPS reader pointed this out in the last Thief article, but… Silence.

There was no coverage of the extensive interview I also linked to either, in which the devs talked us through the game, the gameplay, the decisions they made and so forth. Why not?

Regarding the main worries: focus has been revealed to be optional. The XP mechanic has been taken out. I thought this was supposed to be a good thing? Yet it’s being spun as a terrible sign of impending game-disaster doom. Well, if they rushed the game out of the door the day after removing these emchanics then you may have a point, but I say: dammit, let the release date slip.

And all RPS can come up with is “there’s not enough footage”, “Uh oh! Looks like the release date is slipping… Tut…”, “It’s like Dishonored”, “marketing press release contains marketing-speak” and my favourite “it doesn’t have a thing”. Well, maybe it’s a girl then or something (Blackadder II reference). I don’t know. I don’t know what this mythical ‘thing’ was supposed to be. Thief is a stealth game where you nick stuff.

These strike me as being ‘jaded gamer cynicism for the sake of jaded gamer cynicism’, and the lack of real detail about the game, and this constant one-sided coverage from a site I used to respect is, lets face it, pretty crappy. This lack of any real detail on the game (detail that’s readily available elsewhere and seems to have been omitted or not covered by RPS for some reason), and the dominance of snark in the coverage here really has me genuinely puzzled.

Like I say, I’m not a shill, but this whole thing has really damaged RPS’ credibility in my eyes.

Anyway, I won’t be able to reply to any further comments on this for the time being because I’m on holiday without t’Internet, so feel free to call me names or flame me silly over the next couple of days!

• Kadayi says:

No need to defend yourself against such people tbh dude. They’re honestly not worth your time.

Also concur with your opinions on the doom and glooming.

• Emeraude says:

I’d like to take this opportunity repeat it as I does mostly all threads, given many people I talk with still don’t seem to understand: the XP system was a scoring system for leader-boards. The character progression system – which is what many old Thief fans are deriding – is still in so far as we know from last gameplay preview, and is gold based.

• kament says:

I managed to miss that out somehow, thanks! Although I can’t help but notice that RPS failed to mention it, too. Ah well.

• hilltop says:

Informative. Thank you.

I remain quite nervous about the game really, primarily because of the focus mechanic and the likelihood that it won’t be designed with a focus-free approach in mind.

The point you raise is a grumbling concern in the back of my mind, but not my main worry.

12. ioNKi says:

Please don’t suck, please don’t suck, please don’t suck.

13. ttoast says:

Oh goody, another uninsightful and imprecise grumpy-gamer-article about Thief by RPS.

How about we discuss that Hammerite symbol in the dilapidated cathedral or the subtle nod to the Keepers (“balance has shifted”) and their implications for the reboot’s story instead of tedious cliched complaints concerning the writing of press releases?

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Wait, we should look at all the subtle clues that the story might be good, instead of the blatant ones in all the preview material that it won’t? That’s a shifting balance indeed.

• hilltop says:

A lot of the negativity towards the game has not been driven by blatant or obvious shortcomings (though there are some clear points of criticism so far). Plenty has been directed at fairly flimsy complaints.

14. Bluerps says:

UNPRECEDENTED IMMERSION! Now I’m convinced it will be the best of all games!

15. cunningmunki says:

I’ve been replaying DE:HR recently (the ‘Director’s Cut’ – did it even have a ‘director’?) and I have to say that many times while I’ve been playing I’ve thought to myself, “if the new Thief is anything like this, I’ll be happy”.

• Emeraude says:

Weirdly, I’m having the exact opposite reaction: I’m trying to replay Human Revolution right now and I can’t but think that if Thief is like that it’s going to be a catastrophe. HR was barely passable at being a DE game, and it is built on assumptions that are greatly different to what made the Thief games.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

Try and get a copy of the original DE:HR for comparisonif you see it cheap anywhere: for some reason the graphics are better!

They screwed up the shaders somewhat. It’s less orangey. There’s a bunch of comparison shots on the Steam Community, so have a nose round :) IIRC the Directors Cut is also due some further bugfixes as well.

• Jason Moyer says:

Looks worse? While I like the yellow theme in the original game, I’d hardly say that toning down the piss-filter makes it look worse.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

Hmmm… Dunno. The ‘yellow’ thing was just something I happened to like, but what got me was the weird silvery ‘glow’ around NPCs. there were some initial graphical issues with textures too, but these got fixed. It’s little things that got me though: cars in Detroit are no longer shiny, for example… :/

Currently playing my way through it, I actually bought it for the commentary, which I’m really enjoying :)

16. Barberetti says:

Been looking forward to this film for ages. Can’t wait until it hits the cinemas next year!

17. Zekiel says:

Well I thought the trailer actually looked quite evocative. I am unimpressed by how this seems to be riding Dishonored’s coat-tails – yes, the Thief franchise came first, but obviously a whole generation of gamers are going to be more familiar with Dishonored than Deadly Shadows (let alone TDP or TMA). And yet here we are with a plague, Granny Rags etc etc. Can we have a murdered empress too?

I really do want this to be good – I the world of Thief, and the fact that this is going for a more action-y approach – while obviously being sacrilige to proper fans – is no bad thing for me since I never had the patience for the earlier games.

But the fact that the dev team keeps cutting features (which should never have been there in the first place) is very worrying.

18. Emeraude says:

All right: so, so far the marketing around the game is awful as often happens in the industry.

Let’s hope the game itself is much better than what it led us to fear.

19. kud13 says:

I am playing through The Dark Project as my nth attempt to “get” the game (previous ones ended wherever zombies started). I am now on the Mages Towers, and I went to bed round 3 AM last night. I’m “getting it”.

The new Thief does not strike me as being the same type of game, even thematically.

Also, using the world “visceral” to explain why “better immersion” is like a tower made entirely of red flags with klaxons shouting “MARKETING SPEAK BULLSHIT” from the heavens.

HR was alright, had some brilliant level design moments but they were few and far in between. overall it was serviceable, but nothing to write home about.

20. LauriPoika says:

Mo trailers mo worries.

21. HAdr55 says:

just before I looked at the check for $8124, I have faith that…my… mom in-law was trully bringing in money in their spare time from there pretty old laptop.. there friend brother haz done this less than eleven months and by now paid for the depts on there home and purchased a great new McLaren F1. visit homepage http://Buzz95.com

22. Jason Moyer says:

Did RPS ever post an article about the hud customization? That’s actually a pretty neat/unexpected feature that goes beyond what was possible in DXHR by allowing you to enable/disable very specific onscreen gui elements (including being able to remove the light gem, oh my) and help systems (shimmering loot, highlighted objects, etc).

Also, it’s a crying shame that Thief 4 may be similar to Dishonored which is similar to the earlier Thief titles.

Edit: Ah, found the blog post about the ui customization and difficulty options, which I’m fairly certain were never discussed here:

Comment on this story