Wot I Think: Wings Over Flanders Fields

By Tim Stone on December 20th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Ever since reading about Ernst Udet’s brush with Georges Guynemer high above the Marne (the French ace waved then flew off after seeing his opponent struggling with hopelessly jammed MGs) I’ve attempted to behave chivalrously whenever possible while WWI flight simming. Wings Over Flanders Fields, the latest Combat Flight Simulator 3 metamorphoser from Great War scholars Old Brown Dog Software, has allowed me to take sportsmanship to undreamt-of levels. In WOFF not only do I frequently allow talented/spirited adversaries to escape, I often let them – if they’re so inclined – riddle my frail flying machine and frailer body with hot Pb.

Well, I say ‘let’…

WOFF generates some of the most gripping, varied, and challenging single-player dogfights I’ve ever had the pleasure to participate in. The combination of a vast 400-mile long Western Front map studded with sortie-spawning airfields, and AI pilots whose behaviours are coloured by a clutch of rarely-modelled factors including fatigue, morale and closeness to home, means no two campaign jaunts are ever the same. At least one other sim provides more convincing portrayals of pre-parachute warplanes, but none evoke half as well the maelstrom that Udet, Guynemer and their ilk braved day after day.

In many ways what OBD have produced here is a throwback. With its unfashionable emphasis on solo play (there’s no MP whatsoever), its heartening belief in the power of dynamic campaigns, and its packed hangar pleasingly free of DLC-shaped gaps, it feels like an offering from Simulatia’s Golden Age – the late Nineties.

If it wasn’t almost Christmas and I wasn’t such a gent, this would be the point where I mention that it sometimes looks like an offering from the late Nineties too. Being built upon CFS3 (a requirement and available for around £5 in all the obvious places) means lighting is as unsophisticated as a 1915 bombsight. Want to admire your soup-strainer in the glossy varnish of a wooden dash, or watch the lattice of wire shadows slide across your wing during a turn? Hard luck old bean, you can’t.

Considering the limitations of the rendering tech, OBD have worked aesthetic wonders, especially in regard to scenery. The hard stuff is more detailed and – as the war progresses – more devastated than its equivalent in RoF. Somehow it’s also more Western European too. That might have something to do with the four sets of seasonal textures, but I give most of the credit to the clouds frequently found loitering over the Front. Rendered with flat pivoting jpgs rather than fancy modern volumetric effects, these fluffy rain bowsers should look embarrassingly archaic. In fact, overlapping and merging in ragged packs as they do, they’re one of the main reasons WOFF’s airy battlespaces are so bally atmospheric.

The monochrome murk of the cloud banks sets off the harlequin splendour of the plane paint-jobs a treat. There are thousands of historically based skins in the game (and, thousands more to come via an imminent payware skin pack) and all are distributed used painstaking ace and squadron research (virtual messes are peopled using 2500 authentic pilot names and records). If a Fokker D.VII with a garish purple tail and grim Totenkopf fuselage motif was often seen over Hellfire Corner in the autumn of 1917 then there’s a good chance you’ll run into the machine in-game if you regularly hunt above the Menin Road during the same period.

The acres of gaudy canvas are stretched over 55 different airframes. Discounting variants, that’s still around 36 potential rides. Any pilot lucky, skilful, or shameless enough (it’s possible to play campaigns with a ‘pilot never dies’ checkbox ticked) to survive a year or two at the Front will see military aviation evolve around them. You might start the war flying a clodhopping B.E.2c and end it at the controls of a capable Camel. All the key single-seaters are modelled, but disappointingly, at present there’s no opportunity to fly titans like the Gotha, Felixstowe, and Handley Page Type O.

Rival sim RoF does, of course, let you clamber aboard hefty bombers and flying boats for a little extra outlay. For my money, it also has the superior flight and damage models. Those with experience of 777’s flyables may find WOFF’s equivalents somewhat stilted in comparison. It’s a hard thing to describe, but there’s a muffled, slightly scripted edge to the handling and collsion code that, fifteen years back, we took for granted, but today, in the era of RoF and DCS: World feels a tad synthetic.

The gulf is particularly noticeable during landings and stalls. WWI warbirds killed and wounded almost as many pilots in accidents as combat, and that vindictiveness, that eagerness to punish handling and engine management mistakes isn’t all that well communicated in WOFF (though, admittedly, the newcomer is a martinet when it comes to airframe stress).

If I’m honest I quite like the extra tolerance. It’s flattering. It means I’m not sweating bullets during every aerodrome approach, and watching my RPMs like a hawk during every manoeuvre.

And in WOFF any handling leniency is partially offset by robust wind simulation and the ingenious random failure system. Picture the scene. It’s your first real combat sortie. After patiently plodding through the incomparably authentic training program (optional), you’re about to take off for a sector of the Front that is, by all accounts, buzzing like an upturned beehive at the moment. You start your engine, watch your comrades lope into the air, then open your throttle. Almost instantly the needle on the oil pressure gauge flickers and begins to descend. Something is definitely not right up-front. You could continue, but chances are you’ll be gliding to the ground with a seized engine within minutes. Time to remove the gauntlets, hail the mechanics and trudge despondently back to the mess.

Random mechanical failures can happen at any time and are linked to aircraft type. Engines and machines that were gremlin nurseries in real life, are gremlin nurseries in the sim. Resonant and complacency dispelling, you learn to accept failed components in much the same way you learn to accept rejected squadron transfers and kill claims.

It’s wise to keep pen and paper close while aloft in WOFF. In another evocative design touch, victories aren’t automatically logged. On returning to base it’s up to you to submit a prey-listing claims form and then wait a few days for official verification. I’m not entirely sure what influences the chances of success (currently lacking a manual, the official forum is the only place to go to get answers to feature queries) but knowing the way OBD think, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the presence of nearby corroborators – squadron-mates and friendly ground forces – improved the odds.

I’m also not clear on how transfer requests are handled. My one attempt thus far at moving squadron was prompted by an extremely quiet campaign start (foolishly I joined-up in 1915 as a recon/bomber pilot – a time when fliers, especially those on recon and arty spotting assignments, were extremely reluctant to engage). The request was rejected and I sulkily abandoned the career in response, restarting in ‘Bloody April’ as an action-hungry and extremely short-lived RFC fighter pilot.

Though there are single missions and malleable ‘quick’ skirmishes available, it’s those British, French, American and German campaigns that are the main draw. Where other flightsims are content to randomly generate campaign outings, perhaps dotting the area around the objective with an AI unit or two, WOFF simulates air and ground activity on a Front-wide basis. If you wish to you can ignore orders and fly for miles North or South watching as dynamically tasked AI patrols and raids tangle unexpectedly. The sense that you’re operating within a war zone rather than a tiny bubble of token activity is every bit as strong in WOFF as it is in greats like Battle of Britain II and Falcon 4.0.

And then there’s that wonderfully inscrutable, alarmingly lethal AI. Are those Fokkers up there led by a cautious old-hand or a cavalier hellraiser? How will he react if I pounce on that Pfalz? Will that vee of Pups over yonder help out if things turn sticky? It’s impossible to relax or plan far ahead in the bubbling cauldron that is WOFF’s campaign airspace. Very occasionally an opponent seems a little too fixated on maintaining formation or making a bee-line escape, but usually comrades and opponents fly and fight like their lives depend on it.

TrackIR and a quality flight stick will definitely earn their keep in this sim, but if you’re hardware-poor you can always rely on the impressive range of coded player aids. Padlocked views, toggleable cockpits, bandit labels, a radar-like tac display, handy mission prompts… OBD understand that many of us aren’t too proud to accept a little assistance at times.

Alas, one realism temperer that isn’t supplied is a ‘warp to action’ key. As time acceleration struggles during busy periods and at high rates, and the ‘air start’ option sometimes doesn’t work as advertised, there’s no way to gallop into the thick of things super-speedily. A few minutes of thumb-twiddling autopilot flight and flick-book framerates are inevitable. Grumbling about missing shortcuts in a sim that works so hard to cultivate immersion seems rather bad form, but there you go.

Wings Over Flanders Fields is $60/£37. Buy it and you’re getting that incredibly rare thing, a sim that realises that most of us value campaign colour and plausible AI every bit as much as we value faithful flight models.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GallonOfAlan says:

Best played in a force 10 gale wearing Oculus Rift.

2. Grey Poupon says:

Stupid sexy Flanders

Richard Beer says:

Not many comments make me literally lol, but this was one. I stopped short of spitting beer all over my monitor, though, even though I had a mouthful.

3. ividyon says:

Did this image look like the plane was hitting a sky-colored wall to anybody else?

4. Alfy says:

Finally, a combat sim that caters to single players, a rarity in these dark ages! A boon for the socially impaired, and yes, I proudly count myself in that sorry lot! This is a particularly fine addition, as RoF is immensely inept in the single player mode.

5. Richard Burton says:

Good review Tim, thanks! As an Over Flanders Fields simmer for a few years I’ve been really looking forward to the long-awaited version of their payware mod but… I think they’ve got the price wrong. And paying for extra skins DLC that should really be in the main game from the beginning is possibly an acceptable thing, so long as the asking price isn’t too high. In my opinion, I think it is. I think they’ve made a marketing mistake on this one. The thing is, I’d be much happier paying those sort of prices if the sim actually had some sort of flight recorder (like the Rise of Flight movie maker) so we can actually *see* those skins and new landscapes in all their glory! With the CFS3 engine as old as it is, it’s difficult to prove what actually happened in a dogfight with your wingmen and so on without a basic flight recorder. Some will say that’s “realism”… but you do need something like this to compensate for the lack of situational awareness and other things you could do in real life. Considering that one can buy the superb IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover on Steam right now for £4.99 (with the free Team Fusion mod a necessary requirement) the WOFF asking price is looking very precarious indeed. Reduce the asking price of the main game by £10 and I’d be happy to buy it. Until then, I think I’ll stick with RoF for my WWI time-machine.

• wodin says:

Shame your missing out..55 flyables mate…more gameplay than you can shake a stick at..and so many hour of entertainment it will last you years..

How much would ROF cost for 55 flyables? With it’s rubbish single player aspect that lacks any kind of immersion..and no real feel of a War going on.

I didn’t really have the money but I knew it was going to be well worth the high price…also as a single player simmer and WW1 obsessive I really couldn’t not get it.

• Richard Burton says:

Hello wodin my old stick, so did you finally buy RoF in the end or what? I was just wondering, how do you know how rubbish the RoF SP campaigns are? I’m sure I saw you on a forum somewhere once being quite adamant that you’d *never* buy it (because of the expenditure)?? So how do you know, if you never played it? Strange.. for me, maybe I’m mad but I actually quite enjoyed the RoF SP campaigns (both the paid and user community created semi-dynamic ones). Maybe it’s just me who liked them, oh well.

I’m with Kolbex on this. I’d go as far as $100 too for a proper SP dynamic campaign pack *in the RoF engine*. Absolutely not, in CFS3 + no flight recorder. C’mon people, post-flight analysis in the film debriefing room is half the fun of it since Rowan’s ‘Flight of the Intruder’ on Amiga and ‘Dawn Patrol’ on PC. Even if CFS3 had a basic 60 second replay like Microprose’s old ‘Knights of the Sky’ it’d be better than nothing! No, if OBD are targeting their payware mod to those of us who’ve already paid top dollar on our complete RoF collection and OFF + Hat in the Ring, and then expect us to pay $99.97 (main sim + music + skins) for an update… they are either drunk, mad or both. It’s like sticking two fingers up at us WW1 aviation enthusiasts, it’s insulting. I, for one, will have to (reluctantly!) vote sensibly with my wallet this time until OBD see sense and the error of their ways, or they can shoot themselves in the foot with a Mauser. I am totally and completely at ease with paying for things like the new Steel Beasts Pro PE, Elite: Dangerous, £300 or more for Oculus Rift and so on. But this much for WOFF? I’m sorry, that’s highway robbery matey. And I think that Captain Triggers would agree with me.

• Zenicetus says:

I agree, it seems about $10 too high. On the other hand, WW1 air combat is such a niche market that this won’t sell in high volume, so I guess like they feel they need to make up for it with the pricing. Like some of the more obscure strategy games.

Some of the RoF audience may pick it up just out of curiosity, and for a more immersive campaign experience, since development on that sim has basically ended. It will be hard to give up the flight and damage modeling in RoF, but I might try WOFF at some point. The singleplayer campaign in RoF is the one really weak area in the game.

• Richard Burton says:

Are you sure development has ended?? I was just flying the lovely Sopwith Strutter I preordered that finally arrived for me yesterday. Beautiful machine! They really put some love and dedication into this one I think. There’s a new update out too, and I just downloaded a load of new (free, not payware I might add) historical and community skin packs from their website… there’s a Christmas Sale just on too. Mate, I’m looking forward to Stalingrad going gold like we all are, but c’mon, I’m pretty sure RoF support hasn’t stopped just yet?

• Kolbex says:

If this was in the RoF engine, I would pay $100 for it, maybe even $120. In the CFS3 engine…yes, $60 is too much, especially since that doesn’t actually let you play the game (have to acquire CFS3 first).

6. wodin says:

No greater single player sim has been made. I think graphic wise it does a very good job indeed and maybe abit harsh by Tim. It does the job and doe sit well..def far better than anything from ’95 as Tim mentioned anyway, maybe 2005 ;)

When a battle is raging below you really are flying in the Western Front..it’s so far ahead of ROF in this aspect it more than makes up for the possible easy FM (though RoF FM isn’t all that either and has it’s share of detractors). It also looks more gritty than ROF’s look which is more like a stylised painting.

If I was a multilayer only simmer then ROF would do..but for a single player there is only one WOFF.

Richard the price is well worth the asking..55 flyable planes!..How much would that cost you in ROF?

• Richard Burton says:

I agree with you, but at the same time think about this: I, like all of us WW1 aviation enthusiasts here have already bought RoF, including all of the aircraft and extras. You’re speaking as if there was some sort of “either or” equation. Anyone seriously into WW1 will already own RoF. Why wouldn’t you? I think it’s a little unfair to compare them as if there was some sort of choice. You need to own both for the full WW1 experience. The thing is, we already have RoF and OFF + Hat in the Ring. If they didn’t exist, then yes, perhaps then, there *might* be a valid reason to price WOFF as it is. As it is, they’ve obviously made a mistake with that, so I shall be boycotting until they relent and reduce it properly.

7. Brifyinutly says:

my neighbor’s ex-wife makes $87/hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for ten months but last month her check was $13286 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit this site……

8. SopPup says:

Wow high horses in here.. throwing dollars at beer and pizzas that are half baked we think nothing of, but something that takes literally a handful of guys years to make – looks like a labor of love with lots of details in we take side swipes at for the price. If it’s half as good as people say it is you’ll get months or years of use out of it. Given WW1 is a niche, in a niche of flight sims I doubt they will sell many not half as many greasy pizzas anyway.
    Good luck.