Let’s Chatter/Splatter Over… Hyper Light Drifter

By Nathan Grayson on December 21st, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Hyper Light Drifter is beautiful. Its loud yet effortless art direction screams a quiet confidence, a vision that’s both bold and incredibly vulnerable. I very much like what I see, and many, many others agree – to the tune of $645k, in fact. But looks alone don’t make a game. If Hyper Light Drifter doesn’t play well, then all the glowing pinks and passionate purples in the world won’t mean jack. And that would be very, very sad indeed. Go below to watch me play an early demo of the game and find out if it’s on the right track.

(Apologies for being pretty rubbish at the game in places. Gamepad controls aren’t my strongest suit, and also you were all making me nervous with your prying eyes and mocking smirks. Stop staring at me! Stoppppppp. Oh god, at least blink or something!)

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Nevard says:

Could you not just turn the game’s volume down with Windows’ volume mixer or is there some arcane recording-related reason that this doesn’t work?
    I mean you were just about audible most of the time but that seems like it might be a good thing to know in future.

2. golem09 says:

If gamepad controls aren’t your strongest suit, just give me the demo, and I’ll play it for you.

3. Syra says:

Oh Nathan, am I creeping you out yet by telling you how much I enjoy your voice every time?

4. LTK says:

Tthere was a sword (or something) lying on the floor in the second-to-last area, just before you fought the big guys. I think you were supposed to pick that up, since your little companion was highlighting it.

• hilltop says:

Yes, I was waiting for that to happen too. More to look forward to in the actual game I guess.

Thanks for the video. Great to see this in action.

5. daphne says:

Radio the Universe, yo.

• Bloodoflamb says:

You’re probably the first person to bring up that game in every article about this one.

• daphne says:

Yes. To be fair, I did declare such an intent in the previous post about this game.

Interestingly enough, I did not even back Radio. And to clear things up, I do think highly of Hyper Light Drifter, but think it a travesty that RPS hasn’t yet seen fit to cover Radio in a meaningful way. It does stick out, compared to stuff like Deathfire: Rather Crappy Name And A Predictably Failed Kickstarter, If The Horrible Website Prose Was Anything To Go By.

• XRA says:

needs more coverage of RADIO THE UNIVERSE

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

I googled it and apparently the whole time I thought HLD was the same game as RTU

huh

6. ividyon says:

To me it looks like the game plays INCREDIBLY well. It’s actually a pretty good idea that you made a video out of it rather than an article negatively saying “This game is mercilessly hard”, because people can just watch the way you play and form their own opinions, which wouldn’t be possible otherwise. Good job!

7. MercurialAlchemist says:

It’s not a game for me, but the art direction is definitely top notch. The gameplay looks pretty good too, for people who are into it. It’s actually interesting to see how more “minimalistic” graphics, with a coherent and sharp style, are becoming a trend.

8. Don Reba says:

You have a pretty good voice, Nathan.

9. guygodbois00 says:

Mr Grayson, thank you for posting that video of your demo playthrough. I found it very entertaining and the game itself is very charming, even at this early point. I do not usually play games of this sort ( I’m rubbish at that arcade stuff), but Drifter has a certain Sci-Fi allure which tempts me very much. Can it be played successfully with PC keyboard only in your opinion?

• Bremze says:

If the game doesn’t use analogue input, a keyboard is as good as (or infinitely better if you’re stuck with a 360 controller) than a controller.

10. thekelvingreen says:

I love the look of this and I adore the music. I hope they release the soundtrack.

11. Darkhorse says:

Looks as good as it should

12. Scumbag says:

Just as feedback (if you read this Mr Grayson):

Volume of the game is still loud, but much improved in comparison to the earlier games you did in vids. A lot less “erm…”ing and such, but it is still there.
    Anyhow, I’m now convinced to get this when it hits. Looks bloody great!

• Scumbag says:

I will also add that while it has no relivence I am very, very drunk.

13. S Jay says:

Feel bad for not backing it. It looks gorgeous.

14. DXN says:

Johnson, make a note. The artefact appears to be fucking neat as hell.

15. DXN says:

Reminds me of Bastion, in a very good way.

16. crinkles esq. says:

Basically looks like a modern version of Zelda 1, exchanging Link for a different character. The art direction is pretty good, though it has a certain “Flash gamey” quality and the character design is kind of ho-hum. But the combat and animation look very tight. Promising!

17. KillahMate says:

Nathan, did you ever figure out what that weapon was that was lying there but you didn’t pick it up?

18. Bluerps says:

This game looks incredibly beautiful.

19. Uncompetative says:

They’ve only got to add drop-in co-op and this would be Destiny done in the art style of Fez…

20. scatterlogical says:

So glad to have backed this. The style is just sooo mesmerizing, dark neon psychedelia; reminds me a bit of the twilight realm in Zelda: Twilight Princess.

21. Don Reba says:

Had to look up what a half-sister even was. Turns out, it is not a half-brother.