Xtra, Xtra! Might & Magic X Out On XXIII/I/MMXIV

By Alec Meer on December 21st, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

January: too cold, too dark, too long, to purposeless, altogether too Janny. How shall we light our darkest hour? Videogames, of course. One of the wee blighters that shall attempt to warm our chilled cockles in the earliest days of 2014 is Might & Magic X: Legacy, which resumes the first-person RPG series after an 11 year snooze. After a period of ‘open development‘, it goes to full release on the 23rd.

I’ve never played a Might & Magic title (though I have played a lot of Heroes of Might & Magic titles) but this one tickles whatever the hell my fancy is. ‘Fancy’ sounds ruder the more I think about it. Turned-based, first-person, squad-based roleplaying? Yes please. I’ve enjoyed all the Going For A Walk games this year, but my mood now demands something altogether more intricate.

In theory, the open development process has seen fan feedback shape M&MXL (which just sounds like really big M&Ms, doesn’t it?) into something better than it would have been, though if the hardcore have held too much sway it could just as easily have gone the other way. We shall see.

If you can’t wait, you can still ‘pre-order’ the digital deluxe edition for immediate access to Act 1, via Steam or Uplay, though by this late stage you really should just wait for reviews and Let’s Plays before you splurge.

Here’s a reminder trailer in the meantime.

Right, I’m off to ‘do’ Christmas. Pray for me.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Keyrock says:

Sweet. I’ve had this since it first went Early Access and I like it a lot. I haven’t played it in quite some time, mainly because I wanted to wait for the full experience after checking the game out and confirming that it is indeed an honest to goodness old school style Might & Magic game.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

The trick, Alec, is to be a no man.

Missus – My parents want to know if you’d li…

Me – No they don’t.

Colleagues – We’re going on an all nigh…

Me – No we aren’t.

Children – Will there be presents this ye…

Me – No there won’t.

*kicks back*

*puffs pipe*

• The Random One says:

“Alec, would you refuse to go Christmas shopping with me?”

“No, I wouldn’t.”

“Okay! See you in the car.”

“…”

3. Arathok says:

OCD leaves me with nothing but my head shaking about your roman date. Why for gods sake not XXIII/I/MMXIV? :D

• Phoibos Delphi says:

I was a bit worried about my state of mind, but it´s nice to find fellow victims of the “uncontrollable furor against the wrong use of ancient numbering systems and alphabets”-disease. It´s like those idiots using lambdas to replace an A in advertising… I could go mad about it. If I only knew why…

colossalstrikepackage says:

On no other site (with a readership of over 3 … or should I say III) would this line of (frankly awesome) comment be found. Doffs wreath, adjusts toga, walks away.

• Low Life says:

H α L F – L I F E would look quite stupid, though.

• emorium says:

For me the worst offenders are the ones who think backwards “R” looks cool when you try to pass off an english word as russian. I’m not even russian, I just happen to know their alphabet and it still bugs the hell out of me.

• Koozer says:

Don’t get me started on sigma/E substitution.

4. thesisko says:

“In theory, the open development process has seen fan feedback shape M&MXL (which just sounds like really big M&Ms, doesn’t it?) into something better than it would have been, though if the hardcore have held too much sway it could just as easily have gone the other way”

So you’re saying that anything caters to the hardcore is automatically bad? Personally I think it’s okay to have different games for different audiences. One size does NOT fit all.

• bill says:

That’s not what he’s saying. He’s saying that hardcore fans of a title have a very unique view of that title, and the things they focus on often won’t be things that will matter to other people.

He’s also saying that Custard Cremes are better than Bourbons. Unless i’m just putting words in his mouth.

slerbal says:

I really want this game, but I really, really don’t want uPlay after too many horrible experiences. Does that make me a bad person?

• pullthewires says:

What is uPlay and why should it stop you, and possibly me, from getting this game?

• Awesumo says:

What is UPlay?
        ‘Hey, why don’t you give us a password we won’t keep secret, and lots and lots of personal information we can bundle together to sell for more monies. Oh yeah, it’s to prevent Piracy’ (coincidently most UPlay games are available with UPlay stripped from them by amateurs, days *before* the games are released.)

• Kitsunin says:

‘Oh, and if you make a uPlay account in-game like we suggest, you must want your name to be MIGHTY66666.’

• pullthewires says:

Ah, so it’s a poorly executed and intrusive DRM system. Shame, as I have very fond memories of MM3-8 (and HOMM1-3) and would have almost certainly purchased this otherwise.

• Vinraith says:

It’s not meaningfully different than Steam, or any other game client. As with Steam, though, you’ll want to turn off cloud saving.

• The Random One says:

It seems that buying it from Steam will let you use that intrusive DRM instead of uPlay, though.

• derbefrier says:

the real question is if any of this is actually true. I know people making stuff up on the internet is very rare but you never know…

• jalf says:

So, what you’re saying is “it’s like Steam, except that unlike Steam, the DRM can be easily stripped off”?

That… doesn’t actually sound like such a bad thing.

• Siannah says:

Not a bad, but a prejudiced one. Can’t say I had any problems with it and most issues seem to come from cloud saving, which can be turned off.

slerbal says:

I think you are correct – I am prejudiced against uPlay. But like I said too many bad experiences just puts me off.

6. mehteh says:

Ubisoft = Uplay = No Buy.

7. Borsook says:

Too bad it’s ubisoft… so you launch steam, which launches Uplay, which does some pseudo update, then launches the game… And then they are surprized people choose to run pirated versions…

• Siannah says:

So you don’t have problem with Steam DRM, but Uplay DRM is the evil and justifies piracy…. double standards? :)

Yes, every publisher should be happy to throw money at Valve and NOT come up with their own store because a absolute monopoly is the best possible way – with the side effect that Valve might finally finish Half-Life 3.

• dE says:

With the exception that Steam works (angry mobster protection disclaimer: for me) while Uplay often doesn’t, with frequent server downs and offers download speeds I haven’t seen since 56k times. I don’t see the double standard.

• Siannah says:

What’s reasonable about it in the first place? I don’t have a problem with Steam, Origin, Uplay or Battle.net. I’m not particular fond of either of them and prefer the GOG way.
          However, the reason why EA, Blizzard and Ubisoft want to have their own store is also clear. As much as why Ubisoft as the smallest of them all, feels the need to be available on Steam.

I’ll gladly repeat (and expand) it: Half-Life being Steam-only= fine. Mass Effect 3 being Origin-only= fine. Starcraft 2 being Battle.net-only= fine. The next Assassin’s Creed being Uplay-only = all hells broke loose in the gaming community and boycott threats being the norm.
          No, I don’t see the reasonable discussion – at all.

• Lemming says:

I don’t advocate piracy at all, I simply choose not to buy the games, but of course people who are happy with Steam don’t want to additionally have to sign into something else. Why does that even need further explanation? Of course, if you like to live life like everything is made up of Russian dolls, then you’ll never see that as a reasonable stance.

Your argument about publishers coming up with their own store doesn’t make sense in these cases, as even with Uplay active for those that buy from Steam, Ubisoft are still happily giving them a cut. If Ubisoft want to be Uplay exclusive to that end, no one is stopping them.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah if Uplay was an exclusive store (like Origin) i could understand having to launch games through it, but when you have to launch steam, then uplay (which keeps updating every time i open it, and keeps me waiting), THEN THE GAME…(which doesn’t open on it’s own, btw)…it simply comes off as a pointless, annoying layer of DRM applied by a paranoid publisher.

• Lemming says:

I wouldn’t say paranoid, I’d say it’s more needy (Please don’t forget Uplay!1! Please!), and lazy (we built this with uplay and no, we aren’t going to remove it just because we’re releasing it on Steam as well). I think paranoid gives them too much credit.

• Siannah says:

… and now you guys are gonna claim that you and gamers in general, would understand if Ubisoft pulled an Uplay-exclusive on the next Assassin’s Creed, right? Right?

Nope. The outcry and nerd rage would be on Bayonetta 2 Wii U only level.

• dE says:

You’re not really interested in a reasonable discussion about this, are you?

• Lemming says:

@Siannah Oh please, why would anyone claim that ‘gamers in general’ are all of one voice? Personally, yeah I would claim that would be a sensible solution. Assassin’s Creed fans would buy it. Presumably they already bought into Uplay with previous installments, so what difference to them would it actually make?

Things will change down the road somewhat anyway if Gabe gets his way and Steam is used to create individual store fronts for developers. Publishers like Ubisoft may well just say ‘fuck it’ and abandon uplay in that case. It depends on just how autonomous that solution ends up being, of course.

• Siannah says:

No, I don’t see the reasonable discussion – at all.

• SuicideKing says:

People would (i certainly would) complain if a game bought via uplay launched steam and then finally steam had to be instructed to launch the game.

Similarly, i hated BF3 on origin because Origin->update origin (download+install before it launches) -> then IE launches with battlelog in your face -> then battlelog takes some more time to load up and then you ask it to fire up a single player game.

The process is even longer for a multiplayer game. BF3 and Origin have both been uninstalled recently. Thinking about doing the same with FC3 and uplay, just that i may pick up Blood Dragon so no point just yet.

• Snargelfargen says:

“We gamers might not like these layers, even more so several of them. But it really gets beyond silly, if gamers are willing to boycott Uplay but are fine with Steam. Or Battle.net, Origin….

No, I don’t see the reasonable discussion – at all.”

Well, people aren’t consistent in their actions. Expecting a group as abstract as “gamers” to act in unison or indeed with any logic is futile. For most people it’s just a petty selfish calculation of effort vs. reward.

The idea of boycotting or pirating a game to spite the publishers is rather funny considering the incredible variety and quantity of games out there, on sale at this very moment. My reaction is generally just a shrug and moving on to the next game. I used to pirate all sorts of stuff, but there’s hardly any point any more.

Personally, I’ve never paid for a Uplay or Origin title and I don’t intend to any time soon …despite having purchased lots of games on steam. We all draw our own lines in the sand. Mine may not make any sense, but I’m happy and that’s all that matters in the end.

• Grey Poupon says:

While I’m not a big fan of Steam, at least they let you know what information they are gathering from your computer and let you opt out of it. The last I checked Uplay and Origin don’t. Steam’s far from perfect, those two are just even worse.

• pullthewires says:

I’d not heard of uPlay until now, so can’t comment on it specifically, but other store and DRM systems I’ve experienced have simply been worse than Steam in every way. When the product is free to the end user, you’re not going to win people away with inferior quality. Steam have a near monopoly because everyone else has failed to see what’s so attractive about their service, apparently, and only GOG have offered something that arguably betters it.

• Lemming says:

I can live in a world just fine where Origin, Uplay and the like exist, I just think they should stay the fuck off Steam if they insist on using it. Big publishers having their own store front makes a kind of sense (if you’re a publisher), but forcing it into a customer’s digital platform of choice as a nasty surprise is just plain customer-unfriendly.

There’s a reason they can’t get away with that shit on consoles, and I’m honestly surprised Valve haven’t changed their store rules to disallow them in future titles (making it retroactive would unfortunately piss off customers and publishers alike as games would just disappear overnight).

It’s funny that many think of Steam as draconian, as I actually think they are too relaxed about things like this.

• melvar says:

If I buy a game through steam, I’ve paid for the game, and the game already has DRM through Steam. Requiring me to run uplay on top of that serves no legitimate purpose.

• The Random One says:

So just buy it somewhere that’s not Steam. They’ll give you a uPlay key instead of a Steam key and you can launch one DRM manager instead of two.

• Siannah says:

“… but… but… I really want it on Steam” incoming in 3… 2… 1…

• Geebs says:

Uplay is horribly unsophisticated though, so you’d buy elsewhere, the game would have mandatory activation on steam and THEN launch Uplay

The reason why people hate Uplay is not out of some hard-on for steam or double standard, it’s simply that Uplay does literally nothing apart from making getting into a game require an extra log in and take longer.

I guess it’s less horrid than the rockstar social club though.

8. Urthman says:

Might be an OK way to pass some time while waiting for Grimoire to be finished.

9. Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve heard some bad things about the ninth one that came in 2002 and that the really good M&M’s (the really tasty ones) are the older titles. I’m no graphics freak, but I find it hard to enjoy games that look way older than the ones I first started playing, which makes me hesitant about games from 1995 and earlier. I’m not expecting this be as good as the better M&M’s, but we’ll see.

• Moraven says:

Start at 6,7,8, which is a bit update in graphics than 5 and earlier. The other major difference is that they have real time movement and combat, with the option to pause and go into turn based combat. I grew up on them and really like them a lot. I liked the ability of free movement vs tile based movement. Figuring out what slopes I could climb up and what not. Kinda like you do in a MMO or Skyrim.

But then I really like Etrian Odyssey series on the DS/3DS. Using the draw map function is great in that series. Wish PC games would include that. A good draw map function. Never really was one to goto pen and paper in the past.

10. araczynski says:

About time, M&M has always been one of the best RPG series around, well, back in the day. The Heroes versions have always been garbage to me, personally.

11. Wizardry says:

This looks quite awesome. I like the way they are going back to the M&M III to V style instead of the later style. This could very well end up being the best cRPG of 2014, even with all those Kickstarter games coming out.

jrodman says:

Let me know when UPlay is removed, then I’ll buy it.

13. JacquelineSDias says:

my classmate’s mother-in-law makes $71/hour on the internet. She has been fired for eight months but last month her check was $12192 just working on the internet for a few hours
    check out the post right here,,,,,,http://www.Jobs59.com

14. socrate says:

the game itself look quite dumb its look totally stolen from Legend of Grimrock,M&M7 and 8 will always have a special place in my heart but i learned that ubisoft offer nothing to gaming anymore just a bunch of illusion and bad game just to cash in on easily overhyped mentally challenged people…this looks nothing like M&M which had awesome free movement(think like in Everquest played from first person but you controlling your entire party) this just feel and play like a big rip off of Legend of Grimrock another dumb cash in from this horrible company that shouldnt exist anymore at this point in time…and not to even start with their horrible business practice that i heard from load of people working there.

As for Uplay its horrible just because it offer nothing of the convenience steam actually offer just like Origin and GFWL they are just there to cash in but dont put in the effort to help or make it convenient and fun to have them on your pc…why i still have to launch BF4 from a browser page is beyond me or why i have to deal with GFWL and Uplay on steam when steam is apparently there for that purpose and is obviously doing a much better job at it…i download like were back in 95 on that dumb Uplay WTH?? not to even talk about it being problematic as hell and not offering support for game they published…im looking at all you origin,uplay and even blizzard with D3