The Christmas Leftovers – Part Two

By RPS on December 27th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Come on, quickly, we’ve got to get through these before the brandy sauce starts to turn, and the sausage meat takes on that funky smell. Fed up of yesterday’s games in sandwiches? How about a games of 2013 fry-up? Here’s the next bundle of 2013’s fine, fine PC games that didn’t make it into our Calendar.

ANTICHAMBER

Nathan: Antichamber’s great downfall was that its first couple hours were also its finest. It began as this wonderfully clever, eureka-moment-packed experiment in lateral thinking, easily some of the most unique videogame puzzling I experienced all year. Those initial sections felt like an IQ test on one hallucinogen for every color of the rainbow. My brain’s dustiest gears were forced into overdrive, and most of it felt perfectly natural. Unfortunately, later puzzles moved into more traditional (though no less tricky) territory, dulling the sheen on an otherwise daringly novel experience.

THE INNER WORLD

John: While I think you could get a long way with arguing that 2013 was the Year Of The Adventure Game, it’d be coming at them from interesting angles. That what’s technically a point-and-click adventure is our GOTY makes me gleeful. But there still remained few very traditional hand-drawn adventures that shone. Daedalic keep getting close, but missing.

And then out of nowhere appeared The Inner World. Studio Fizbin appeared on our radars with one of the sweetest, most solid trad adventures in years. A fairytale, complete with daft (yet satisfying) puzzles, adorable characters in a melancholic world, and superbly translated from its original German. For classic adventure fans, don’t miss this one. It’s bursting with charm, and reminds you that adventure puzzles weren’t always crap.

FIFA 14

Graham: What few changes FIFA 14 made from its predecessor served only to make the game more imbalanced, but it’s still the best football game around and it’s still the game, alongside Spelunky, that I turn to most often when I’m tired, stressed and in need of a distraction. I want to note it specifically in 2013 because this is the year that I finally fell for Ultimate Team, the mode that offers a propulsive mix of collectible card game, real-time tactics and football. I spent more real money in pursuit of the modern, virtual equivalent of football stickers than I’d care to admit, as I wrote about earlier in the year.

John: You forgot to say “foot-to-ball”.

SHELTER

John: I’m rather surprised that I was the only one pushing to see Shelter get more recognition this year. BADGER CUBS, for crying out loud! Cute, baby badger cubs, and you have to save them from rivers and birds and the dark! Badgers! Baby ones!

Also, it was epically beautiful, and I found it very emotive. No, I didn’t cry. In fact, the deaths of cubs wasn’t what got to me about it. That felt… inevitable. Sad, certainly. Guilty, definitely. But more of what got to me about Shelter was the majesty of nature thing. That sense of its hugeness, and my tinyness.

The game isn’t what I was hoping it might be – something more open, more about improvising survival. It’s a linear story, a progression through the seasons, along a fixed path. That surprised me, perhaps disappointed me. But then I realised that it had something else to say, and my expectations shouldn’t define it. And what it had to say was sad and brutally honest, which are words that you almost never get to say about games. Plus, Lucy was impressed.

SHADOW WARRIOR

Adam: Of the leftovers, there’s only one other game that I would have fought harder to have included in the calendar. I hadn’t expected Shadow Warrior to impress, let alone to become my favourite FPS of the year.

There are a great many words written about retro games, about the many attempts to recapture the Good Old Days, but I’d mostly given up on the association of those sallies into the past with this sort of throwback FPS. I was reaching the point at which I couldn’t be sure that the output of 3D Realms during the special years of the Build engine was actually worth revisiting, in any form.

Then I remembered that I still play through Blood (the first few levels at least) once every few months and have a blast. Shadow Warrior revives the speed, challenge and marvellous splattercore extravagance of Ye Olde Days but isn’t beholden to them. Lo Wang doesn’t retread the old ways simply to show them respect but to find out what was golden in that golden age, polish it up and present it as something fresh.
Here’s to more in a similar style from Flying Wild Hog.

Nathan: Shadow Warrior wasn’t supposed to be this good, or even particularly good at all, for that matter. I mean, a revival of a rampantly offensive Duke Nukem clone whose cult clout was less Scientology and more the weird hooded guy who addresses a squirrel and a tree stump in your local park every day? Not exactly begging for a revamp. And yet, Hard Reset devs Flying Wild Hog turned Shadow Warrior into a glorious tornado of stylish violence – not to mention a game with first-person melee combat that was actually satisfying. I guess what I’m saying is, Shadow Warrior had both the touch and the power. WHEN ALL HELL’S BREAKIN’ LOOSE IT’LL BE RIDIN’ THE EYE OF THE STORM.

CIV V: BRAVE NEW WORLD

Adam: Civ V still isn’t my favourite game in the series, even after two solid expansions, but it can happily exist alongside Civ IV on my hard drive. The changes to the formula that were evident in the base game have been strengthened by both Gods and Kings, and Brave New World. It’s with this most recent expansion that the game has established its identity most clearly, retaining the more competitive drive that has been evident since launch, but effectively spreading it across the length of an entire playthrough.

We have one Firaxis expansion in our Calendar, the scrumptious Enemy Within, and Brave New World narrowly missed the cut. It’s wonderful to see these big-box style expansions, which make a lot more sense than annual sequels would for games of this type, and I almost certainly wouldn’t be playing Civ V this long after release without them.

RICHARD & ALICE

John: This remains, ten months on, one of my favourite narrative experiences of 2013. It’s not a masterpiece. It’s not without flaws, certainly not. But as a short story in adventure form, it evocatively and effectively tells a bleak, sad tale of loss, devastation and resilience. Heavily (and openly) inspired by The Road, this post-apocalyptic story is one of desperate shelter and struggles with disease, rather than roaming cannibal mutants.

It’s especially worthy of note due to the superb writing for Barney – a five year old boy who we meet in playable flashbacks. And he’s so genuinely five, unable to entirely understand his circumstances, wanting to turn danger into play, but honestly terrified at the same time. The game is also gorgeously subtle. There are moments, not flagged up, which decide the ending you’ll see. Genuine diversions in the plot, but not received because you picked A, B or C from a flashing list. It’s a game you’re going to want to play twice. The puzzles mostly aren’t great, but it turns out not to matter in this vignette of a game, a gaming novella with a tale it wants to tell. It’s well worth being told.

The final portion of Leftovers will be served tomorrow.

DMC: DEVIL MAY CRY

Nathan: Over the course of the year, I kind of forgot how much I enjoyed the new DmC. I came in with higher expectations than most thanks to Ninja Theory’s previous game Enslaved, and I largely got exactly what I expected: a younger, hipper slant on a tale so tired that its hair had gone white (OK, to be far, it was always that way). For all its over-the-top bravado and conveniently timed censorship pizzas, DmC’s greatest asset was its heart. Each of the game’s painterly locales and, er, some of the characters were crafted with utmost care. The script had some magnificent moments, too – especially when a fittingly wacky plot spilled over into some surprisingly clever boss fights. Drop-kicking a giant poision slug whose sickly secretions were the secret ingredient in a dystopic, virility-causing cola? Yes please. And oh goodness, the entire Bob Barbas level was ingenious. Conservative media might not be the most revolutionary topic to satirize, but I don’t think anyone’s ever done it like that before.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

RedViv says:

The Gift of Horace extends even to the animals. Truly the infinity of worlds is better with him.

• Paider says:

my neighbor’s sister-in-law makes $82/hr on the computer. She has been without work for 7 months but last month her income was $19306 just working on the computer for a few hours. why not check here,,,,,,http://www.Rush64.com

Lars Westergren says:

I’d like to give a mention to Rocksmith 2014, which is better than the predecessor in just about every way.

Drawbacks: uPlay integration. Some songs weren’t imported from original Rocksmith (including some of my favourites, like Red Hot Chilli Peppers) but I suspect that is the goddamn record companies fault.

AngelTear says:

I haven’t played Rocksmith (either version) simply because it’s just so expensive. Not so much the base game or the peripheral, but the actual songs, a 3 song pack is more than 10£. I have been using Guitar Pro 5 and the near-infinite library of songs over at UltimateGuitar as my version of Rocksmith for 5+ years now. Maybe the sound (even with the RSE) is not as good, but I find it good enough to play guitar karaoke style.

• rb2610 says:

What? The 3 song packs are usually about £6 and 5 song packs are around £9…

Plus if you grab them in the Steam Sales they’re half that (aside from the newest few bits of DLC which aren’t discounted this time round)

AngelTear says:

You’re right, I do apologize, I don’t know why I had those prices in mind.
          It’s 2.39£ for one song, 6.49 for 3 and 9.69 for 5. Which is still a lot in my opinion.

• Orazio Zorzotto says:

The base game comes with 50 actually very well selected songs. Especially at sale price its pretty good value.

• Exciall says:

my neighbor’s sister-in-law makes $84/hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 8 months but last month her income was $19916 just working on the computer for a few hours. have a peek at this site,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Interesting. Higher Ground by RHCP imported for me.

The only sort-of-backward-step for me was losing the view from the stage. Despite the copy and paste characters, I loved watching them getting going, especially in master mode.

• stevethehare says:

Cheers to that. Rocksmith 2014 is the first time I’ve been able to sit down and have fun with my guitar on a regular and repeated basis. After owning my guitar for about 10 years and never really going anywhere with it, this is a hugely satisfying experience for me.

Yeah the DLC is kind of pricy and their song choice is so-so (Nickleback??? Disturbed???), but I bought the original version on amazon for 7 bucks (coupled with the 10 dollar import tool) and doubled my track listing. That should keep me happy for a long while.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

To be fair, there’s also some brilliant Rush and Maiden DLC, too.

• stevethehare says:

Yeah, but also My Chemical Romance. It’s really all over the place.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Well, we can’t expect the DLC to always be bands we like. It was the same for Rock Band.

Lars Westergren says:

They have a lot of JPop DLC. Not to my taste, but maybe Rocksmith is popular in Asia?

• stupid_mcgee says:

Well, y’know, they need to sell it to the kids with their hip-hip bip-bopping rap pop reggae jazz with the wubs and the bobble wobs.

@ Lars: I think, “performance games,” in general, are very popular in Asia. What I mean is dance games, singing games, musical instrument games, and those kinds of things.

• DanMan says:

I heard the latency is noticable, which – to me – is a DEALBREAKER!

Oh, and Uplay, of course.

Lars Westergren says:

Check that they are talking about the PC version with the lag, because from what I’ve heard it is mostly a problem with consoles on certain TVs. PC seems fine. But yeah, uPlay is there and is annoying, nothing to do about that.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

The Uplay front end has been patched out. Latency on the PC is almost imperceptible.

• User10110 says:

Thanks for this info, removing the Uplay front end has made a huge difference to perfomance on my laptop. Video lessons still get the audio out of sync but the other bits, including playing along with songs, works much better. It is also a lot less irritating to start the game running too. Rocksmith 2014 is different to last years version in that there is more emphasis on developing useful technique, I feel that my playing has definitely improved.

Just want a keyboard version now.

• Orazio Zorzotto says:

Even with some technical difficulties on my setup, Rocksmith 2014 might just turn out to be my GOTY. Not only is the game teaching me more than any other game this year (not a prerequisite for a good game, mind you) but it’s also simply the most fun.

Flit says:

Might wanna fix the Richard & Alice link.

Gap Gen says:

Where is Rayman? Your opinions are wrong, RPS! Wrong!

AngelTear says:

The final portion of Leftovers will be served tomorrow.

Gap Gen says:

WRONG

Napalm Sushi says:

DANGEROUS AND WRONG

Gap Gen says:

Right! What happens if a child read this and thought that, I don’t know, XCOM: Enemy WIthin was better than Rayman: Legends? They’d probably grow up to be Steven Moffat or something. Do you want that on your conscience? Do you?

AngelTear says:

Now I feel kinda bad that I have never played a Rayman and I don’t have any intention to in any foreseeable future o.o

Gap Gen says:

You should feel bad. Legends is a mad bag of fun and a life without it is a lesser one.

AndrewC says:

Nothing is better than Rayman: Legends! Nothing! But an expansion to an update of a classic game that manages to not be completely awful – well, it’s better than nothing.

• Gargenville says:

I don’t get Rayman at all. Did you dudes just never play golden age Mareo/Sanic?

Gap Gen says:

I wasn’t big on platformers in the past, I admit (and I’ve never owned a Nintendo device). And I appreciate that Mario is every bit as bizarre as Rayman, even if its motifs have been the same for the past few decades. I just love everything about the latest Rayman game, from the sound to the art to the joy of it all.

AndrewC says:

Gosh yes, the art design and lovely, lovely music gives it a different feel to the Mario games. Mario’s super plinky plonky music never entirely clicked with me, though it is most definitely joyful. Rayman is joyful in a just slightly more off-kilter way, but every bit as exquisitely, expertly formed and balanced, with obvious delight put into almost every detail.

It is very talented French people being silly. And if a platform game can be mentioned in the same breath as Mario then, well, it is a very good thing indeed.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Shigeru Miyamoto loves bluegrass and plays the banjo. I wonder if that has anything to do with the plinky plonky music of Mario?

• Geebs says:

Rayman is kind of like if Sonic wasn’t shit, or a 2D PoP on drugs. It’s not really much like Mario, but it is delirious fun.

5. Soulstrider says:

This title images keep disturbing more and more, why would you do such a thing to Horace? You cruel men.

Hodge says:

I’m more worried about that brussels sprout which remains seemingly unnoticed, like a gun placed on the mantelpiece in the first act of a play.

• LionsPhil says:

Horace daren’t eat them, since his infinite state leaves him without a posterior from which to release the foul gasses they induce. He’d be doomed to digest sprouts forever in his endless intestines.

• Horg says:

Using logic we can deduce that the sprout is finite, and although Horace may well have infinite intestinal tract, the sprout would digest eventually and the gasses would have infinite room to expand. The more logical conclusion is that Horace did not eat the sprout because he is a bear. Even in the entire length of an endless bear, there is no place for sprouts.

• Blackcompany says:

Pretty sure the picture(s) is/are a metaphor. They’re examining, and then picking over, the skeletal remains of the games Horace didn’t like. The leftovers/remains of gaming, NOT Horace. Not literally.

[Insert witty statement regarding Horace's Infinite State and the manner in which he gradually becomes indistinguishable from the games he chooses here]

At least, this explanation is the one that most comforts me in the belief that Horace does not lie bare-boned beneath the guise of spiteful carrion eaters until sometime in the Spring, when he rises to rebuild himself over the summer in preparation for Fall Gaming Season.

Or some such. I still think its a metaphor for gaming leftovers. I hope.

6. GameCat says:

Speaking of point’n’click adventure games, I would add Night of The Rabbit to this list. It’s just lovely.

• TheTingler says:

I agree, but RPS include it in their list of Daedalic adventures that “just missed the mark”. I loved it but the story needed to be paced better – instead of having an infodump of plot right at the very end.

7. Runs With Foxes says:

Hmm that’s a good point. (Helps explain why I found the year boring (ooh).)

8. Barberetti says:

Is that a bowl of extremely lumpy bread sauce on the right?

Mmmmm bread sauce.

• Guvornator says:

Bread sauce is just a thing of beauty. mark and Spebcer’s bread Sauce however, is An Abomination. Nutmeg instead of cloves? Piss off…

Gap Gen says:

If you’re buying from Mark and Spebcer’s, you might expect less than legitimate merchandise.

• Guvornator says:

I wondered why the tub read “Breed Scouse”…

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, a Liverpudlian will probably burst out of your stomach on New Year’s Eve and then kill everyone on the ship. Save the cat, Guvornator. Save the cat. He’ll know what to do.

Smashbox says:

And the winner for British-est thread is…

9. derbefrier says:

Shadow Warrior was awesome. that is all.

• engion3 says:

Yeah I grabbed it during the steam holiday sale. I’ve enjoyed it so far and it looks pretty good as well.

• subedii says:

I thought Hard Reset was a pretty decent shooter, but with a few niggling issues that needed sorting out (annoyingly placed invisible walls being a key one). I have to say I felt that SW remedied a fair few of them.

I don’t think it’s perfect or anything, but I certainly had more fun with it as a shooter than most of the other big budget shooters this year. It’ll never have the bombastic set-pieces, but sometimes the arena combat can be enough.

And hey, they just released a new survival mode, good enough reason to load it up again.

10. dE says:

DmC is a good example of “that one gameplay mechanic”. While I just didn’t like the new Dante and didn’t like him after playing the game either, I must admit the Level Design was stellar. The Story not so much but that was never a strong aspect of the series in my books. I would have appreciated the exclusion of two particularly stupid scenes that did nothing to further the plot (especially one certain bossfight and the following confrontation were just edgy for the sake of being edgy). But otherwise it had some great moments.
    But that one gameplay mechanic… the color coded attacks. HNNNG. I hated it in Enslaved when it was still light/medium/heavy attacks and I still hate it now that it is normal, red and blue attacks. This single mechanic often broke the flow of combat for me. For those that didn’t play it: In DmC you can’t hit enemies of a certain color code, unless you use the appropiately colored weapon. In theory, this makes the player switch weapons and adapt to the situation, sounds good, right? In practice you’ll always have to deal with clumped up enemies with at least one red and one blue mob within. So everytime you strike, no matter which color coded weapon you use, you’re bound to bounce off some shield and have your flow broken. In a genre that is all about the flow and feel of the combat to me, this is a no go. And it happened Time and time again. I’d have rated the game much higher without that mechanic, and I certainly would have enjoyed the otherwise great combat much more.

• Merus says:

I played through DmC and watched my far more experienced roommate play through as well. Dante has pushes, pulls and aerial juggles to separate enemies; you’re not supposed to fight them all on the ground, because as you noticed it causes problems.

• dE says:

Except then you struggle with the aiming mechanics which have a haphazard way of picking targets you wouldn’t believe. And let’s not forget that a lot of enemies are flying either way, especially those witches. Trust me, I’ve got experience with juggling enemies: I have played the previous titles after all.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Also known as the Sands of Time Problem.

11. DatonKallandor says:

I can’t believe someone is unironically praising DmC. The writing abysmal, the characters offensively terrible, the combat system decidedly above average for the genre but far below Devil May Cry standard, a pointless destruction of a beloved main character. The only good thing about DmC is that it explains it’s combat system better than other games in the genre and the art design/level design (even though it’s basically stealing from They Live most of the time).

It’s a good entry drug into the genre of Devil May Cry-likes, but just how incredibly terrible it truly is becomes obvious once you play some actually good games in the genre.

It’s basically a DMC mod for Heavenly Sword, but then that’s all the dev has been doing from the start. Every game they make is just Heavenly Sword reskinned trying to convince people that combat with 3 modes and enemies that are only vulnerable to one mode is good gameplay after all. Guess what – it isn’t.

And let’s not forget the completely intolerable lead developer and their PR. When the first thing you do is to call the main character in the other DMC games “gay” (they seriously did that) and try to call the old games bad you don’t understand anything about marketing.

Plus the guy in charge has no sense of characterization whatsoever. There’s a great story about him wanting Monkey (in Enslaved, their previous game) to just casually kill a random person in the opening scene to establish how “badass” he was. Naturally the actual writer they employed at the time told him that was stupid as hell. They did not have a real writer for DmC to tell him how stupid his Dante remake was and it shows.

• Merus says:

I think it got praise because it was actually a good game, despite the yabbering of DMC fans. There’s lots of little hidden depths to the combat system, like how the aligned attacks respond when you switch alignment during the attack animation. It’s easier, certainly, but given that the series had a reputation for being too hard to be fun, that’s vital for the series to have a future.

Having played DmC and then watched a playthrough of DMC1 I can see a lot of similarities, and a lot of dumb things about the previous games that DmC fixed (original Dante is a pretty boring character; it’s clear that Ninja Theory’s Dante has an arc even though he starts off as a snot). I don’t agree that DmC is a departure, and I think DmC is a lot more interesting and approachable than Devil May Cry got.

(Also DMC1 uses like five fonts, what the hell was going on there.)

• derbefrier says:

DMC1 is probably my favorite action game of all time. I got good enough at it I actually beat it on the hardest difficulty. I loved it. I loved how difficult it could be and how good it felt when you finally mastered it. None of the other DmC’s have lived up to that. Don’t get me wrong a few of them have been decent but in my opinion always fall short of the first one. I think a lot of it has to do with I got so good at the first playing the easier sequals felt like they gutted any ounce of difficulty out of the game. True story, I bought DMC2 sat down and beat it in one sitting without dieing once. I was horribly dissapointed and pretty much ignored the series after that. Making the game easier was a horrible descion in my opinion. I understand it, people suck at video games and cried about it, but I don’t have to like it.

• Mooglepies says:

The reason many series fans thumb their noses at it in disdain is that it is, in all respects, a backwards step for the series in terms of gameplay, with less variety, less depth, and a far lower skill ceiling. The people who tend to “yabber on” about this really don’t care about the writing (although I’ll confess I really didn’t like it), or the (pretty interesting, actually) art/world design, or anything else. I’ve written reams of text on specifics before so I don’t think I’ll go into them again (unless you’re a sadist/masochist and want me to for some bizarre reason?) But that’s pretty much it.

On the difficulty complaint, isn’t that what difficulty modes are for? The original DMCs managed to find a nice middle ground for normal mode (particularly 4, which went out of its way to make the first half of the game easier to approach than its predecessors, before letting you loose with Dante halfway through the game. DmC was a little too easy even on the harder difficulties, but this is mainly due to some of the mechanical decisions running in the background.

I should note that I went into this with a pretty open mind, considering my peers went into it knowing they would, and wanting to, hate it. I gave it as fair a shot as I could manage and there were times that the game managed to get into some kind of flow, without constant 10 second cut scene interruptions. I enjoyed those parts, while they lasted. But I found them all too brief and all too infrequent.

welverin says:

Really? (that is a serious question by the way)

The complaining started as soon as it was announced and never stopped, and I suspect most of them only played it so they could justify saying it sucked.

• Philomelle says:

The complaining started because nobody wanted a reboot for a story that isn’t over yet (DMC4 more or less ends on a cliffhanger) and literally every single piece of marketing was “SHOO GO AWAY FILTHY HARDCORE FANS OF THE SERIES, WE DON’T WANT YOU THERE”. Capcom even stated outright that they asked the new Dante designed so he would piss off and alienate fans as much as possible, for reasons nobody ever managed to comprehend.

I did ultimately enjoy the game in its own way. It’s not a Devil May Cry game by any means. Character names are just there so they could market it as one, the gameplay is much simpler and more shallow than the rest of the series and the narrative reads like an angry teenager’s alternate universe fanfiction. But it had its moments with which I ended up having fun.

Still, you just don’t market the game by telling the long-time fans of the franchise that you hate them and they’re not welcome there. Especially when you’re struggling to survive on the market and the true reason why you’re rebooting the franchise isn’t because you want to attract new blood or tell a new story, it’s because the series’ entire creative team ragequit your company in a storm of violent cursing and you have no idea where they intended to take the series after the previous game.

• DatonKallandor says:

“There’s lots of little hidden depths to the combat system, like how the aligned attacks respond when you switch alignment during the attack animation.”
        That’s “hidden depth” in your book? The fact there’s exactly two combos (mash mash mash and mash – pause – mash mash mash) and those two combos are all there is means you can switch from any weapons combo into any other. Yes that’s neat. Unfortunately that’s all there is to it – it would a fun mechanic if there was more depth than that, but it’s hardly enough to constitute an entire combat system.

And are you seriously comparing DmC with WATCHING a playthrough of DMC1? DMC1, really? The one that was originally supposed to be a Resident Evil game, and which pretty much everyone agrees has the second worst characterization because they simply didn’t know what they were going for yet? Compare DmC to the height of the series, not it’s stumbling beginning (or different-dev-team DMC2 to head off that dead end right away).

Compare DmC to DMC 3 and DMC 4. In that comparison DmC doesn’t come off nearly as well.

• stevethehare says:

That’s funny because it looks like I enjoyed it for all the same reasons you hated it. Weird world, isn’t it?

12. Freud says:

Surprising Fez didn’t get any love. While I don’t think it’s a classic and I generally don’t like the decision to have the player re-visit areas to finish puzzles, it is a clever game.

AngelTear says:

The final portion of Leftovers will be served tomorrow.

• Laurentius says:

FEZ is probably my GOTY, or at least game i will rememeber 2013 for. I’m still in awe how slick its concept is delivered. Puzzle, platforming with world turning mechanics that works oh so briliantly.

Banyan says:

Dev Phil Fish engendered some unnecessary bad feelings when asked in 2011 on Twitter about when Fez would come to PC, and he replied that “PCs are for spreadsheets.” There have been some PC gamer folk who have de facto boycotted Fez in response, though I have no idea if RPS is one of them.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I don’t know if they ever reviewed it or not, but I know RPS never weighed in on the whole “Phil Fish meltdown” incident.

13. Themadcow says:

No mention of Lego: Marvel yet either, which is surprising given the loving it got on here (as far as I recall).

*edit* Indeed http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/31/wot-i-think-lego-marvel-super-heroes/

…although the WOT does point out some annoying issues with the game too.

14. Merus says:

The Bad News level from DmC was, hands down, my favourite boss fight this year. It’s the only boss fight I can remember where that usually daft bit where the boss retreats and you fight normal enemies in an arena until the boss comes back was a highlight.

Lambchops says:

The Inner World slipped past my radar but rather looks like it might be my cup of tea.

Thanks, John, I’ll remember to give it a shot sometime, I love me a good traditional adventure game.

16. airtekh says:

I enjoyed Antichamber earlier in the year, it was quite refreshing. It messes with your head and forces you to think differently.

caff says:

The Inner World has a certain charm, but I felt the long streams of dialogue turned me off rather than engaged me.

Speaking of adventures, John, where is the charming Driftmoon?

18. PopeRatzo says:

WIld Hogs is the developer I am most rooting for in the coming year(s). They understand computers and games and what makes me salivate on command.

Jalan says:

As long as Flying Wild Hog continues to improve on their faults (Shadow Warrior being superior to Hard Reset) they may secure a spot at the great dinner table of lordly development houses alongside the likes of Valve/etc.

19. Turkey says:

I just watched the most ridiculous moment of DMC back to back with the most ridiculous moment of Metal Gear Revengeance and Metal Gear wins.

• DatonKallandor says:

Absolutely – that’s because Revengence is made by people who actually know how to make a good flashy brawler. If Revengence didn’t get stuck in porting limbo for so long and had come out in 2013 nobody would even bother to remember DmC.

20. horsemedic says:

Minor point but would an RPSer mind sticking an index of this year’s top games somewhere? I wanted to reread the Machine for Pigs entry last night and didn’t enjoy having to open up 24 tabs at random.

21. SuicideKing says:

No love for Arma 3? Can’t blame RPS, really. I like it, but it has its fair share of issues, some of which are pretty serious.

22. TechnicalBen says:

To hear shelter is liniar and not open world, that cuts deep. It would be like learning Tetris is linear, and only has 1 level (set of shapes ever repeating but only 10 times to “beat” it).

But just like Tetris, if it was open, and would have some variety (literally I’m only thinking of different ordering of events), it would be so much more.

23. tormos says:

how did you possibly have the strength to not end that comment with a really nasty slur? I almost did it for you just for the sake of the joke until I realized that that’s kinda not pleasant.

24. antnioferreiramelo says:

my classmate’s sister makes $67 hourly on the laptop. She has been without a job for 10 months but last month her check was $20187 just working on the laptop for a few hours.

why not try this out…. http://23jobs.com

25. Gargenville says:

There was no need to antagonize fans by having Ninja Theory do a DmC game in the first place.

26. wodin says:

Sid Mieirs Ace Patrol games where little gems aswell.well worth the money. Wish the engine was taken a step further and made into a more hardcore grog experience.

Also Dominions 4 has eaten away hours over the last couple of weeks for me..a real just one more turn game…and dripping with immersion and depth.

Then another late comer Wings Over Flanders Fields has taken the best single player sim experience since Red Baron award.

27. RegisteredUser says:

It should be noted that
    -the content updated Chivalry: Medieval Warfare(for its melee and TO play, despite all the flaws – I know its originally a 2012 game, but it had two content updates this year),
    – Rising Storm(squad based FPS realism + tactics) and
    – Payday 2(harsh reliance on co-op and never written about again even after 20 patches that helped heal it at least slightly after the initial RPS look)

are good and important games as well(some, like Chiv more, some, like Payday 2, less).

They all only had a brief flareup and then vanished again, but they have bestowed over a thousand played hours to me and have all been on sale for under 10$. I doubt you will find better value for your money and they all cater to different aspects of gameplay enjoyment(stealth or gung-ho rushing in payday, oneshot sneakery in Rising Storm, timing, team and footwork in Chivalry).

I am open for more awesome multiplayer experiences like this. More, actually, I am desperate to find more like this, as most other online or multiplayer games are incredibly “meh” in comparison.
    Let me know your suggestions and opinions, if you like. :)
    (For example: I have already checked out tribes 2 and grew tired fairly quickly, but I have not yet checked out Warframe or Planetside 2 – should I?)

• stupid_mcgee says:

Payday 2 has really impressed me. A $30 title at launch that has expanded far beyond its initial feature-set. Comparing the game now to then is night and day. And there’s still more to come. Overkill has very much subscribed the Valvesque notion of games as services and Payday 2 is them really putting it into practice. On top of that, it has been a consistently fun game to pick up for a match or two, which helps to explain why I have about 250 hours suck into it.

28. andrewrwilson says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site…..