Consort With Consortium On January 8th

By Adam Smith on January 6th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

The 2014th year of this Earth’s existence could be off to a very good start, at least in terms of game releases. Along with the news that Nidhogg will finally be available, after four centuries of appearances at conventions and underground LAN parties, the fascinating narrative of sci-fi RPG Consortium will also be on sale. Release is set for January 8th and we’ll have full thoughts on the finished product shortly. Meanwhile, my thoughts on the first couple of hours are available should you need to crank up your anticipation mechanisms.

As I’ve noted in previous articles, one of my favourite things about Consortium is that it involves a crew travelling to Ireland. Not E’Irrllandus IV, the fourth planet in a distant twin-sunned star system, but Ireland, the land of Joyce and George Bernard Shaw. The strangeness of that lack of strangeness carries throughout the game, which is equal parts murder mystery and political dilemma.

Available this Wednesday.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. cairbre says:

You travel to Ireland. SOLD! No really I don’t think I have ever played a game with Ireland in it and because I am from there I can’t give up the opportunity.

• RedViv says:

But to Dublin? Really bah? We have much better places.
      Then again, by the time of the game the hinterland is probably completely deserted.

• TheVGamer says:

After “the goat incident”, I’m not sure if I ever want to go back there. It ruined me, forever scaring my psyche and made me associate Ireland with shitty puzzles.

• Wisq says:

Crusader Kings had Ireland. But yeah, there aren’t very many other games that specifically mention it.

2. The Random One says:

Consortium is the game I’ve backed that I keep forgetting is almost coming out. I feel Save the Date has sufficiently prepared me for its fourth-wall pushing adventures.

3. Crimsoneer says:

Here’s hoping this actually comes out – the release date has been changed last minute a fair few times at this point. I kind of wish they’d at least give backers whatever beta they’re running at this point :(

• Adam Smith says:

I checked with them yesterday and they seem confident this is the final date.

• Crimsoneer says:

Good stuff. I know that it’s their game, and they know when it’s ready and all, but it’s hard to not be bitter when they keep announcing release dates and keep delaying them. I had today and tomorrow, and was really looking forward to playing it, but no luck :(

Bah. I’m sure it’ll rock. Just, you know, a little grumbly. All these “We’re releasing on THIS date” just feels so brick and mortar. If it’s acceptably playable, then let me play teh damn game already :P

• Bahoxu says:

They probably just want to put some distance between their release and the christmas steamsale. I guess thats a good idea.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

Yeah they posted on Kickstarter, that Valve told them releasing during sale frenzy was a bad idea.

• Ergates_Antius says:

And this is the actual final release? Not some early access alpha/beta etc?

Singce backing this I’ve deliberately avoided reading too much about it to avoid spoilering, wouldn’t want to accidentally play an unfinished version…

• ColCol says:

unless I misheard, it seems the game’s release is being moved up two days.

4. golem09 says:

And not even Early Access :gasp:
    What is this? I fully released game? I do not understand!

• psepho says:

It feels very retro doesn’t it? The game got funded, was made in a reasonable timeframe and with a minimum of public knicker-washing, and is now being released to players complete, fresh and unplayed.

• Ergates_Antius says:

It’ll never catch on.

• jonahcutter says:

It actually did have alpha/beta access for Kickstarter backers. So it’s definitely a child of our brave new world. Though admittedly not of the Steam Early Access strain.

5. Gravy100 says:

“Considered the first of three planned games”

Boooo

“…each containing their own fully resolvable story ”

Hooray!

• Wisq says:

Hmmmm. “Fully resolvable” … not “fully resolved”? Uh oh. ;)

I mean, even the biggest cliffhanger is “resolvable” if you just make stuff up in your head.

6. FerretWithASpork says:

“The 2014th year of this Earth’s existence…” Umm… really? I hope this is a joke.. otherwise I may have just lost respect for RPS…

• bill says:

Well, even if it wasn’t, I don’t think they’d admit it now…

To be fair, adam is from manchester…

• Adam Smith says:

Manchester wasn’t born until the Industrial Era, back when the Earth was a teenager and got into Nine Inch Nails and Skinny Puppy.

• KillahMate says:

How (on Earth) could it NOT be a joke? I’m failing to envisage a mindset that would be capable of making that statement in earnest.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Seriously? You have to ask?

• kwyjibo says:

Earth has been in existence for around 5000 years, as can be proven by the bible.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

Whats wrong with saying the Earth is 2000 years old? Next you will be trying to tell me the Earth is round, and not actually a flat disk that sits on a giant turtle!