Memorable: (To The Moon) Holiday Special Minisode

By John Walker on January 6th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Over the holidays, while RPS was fighting crime off planet, Freebird released a minisode addition to To The Moon. More To The Moon! And for free!

Lasting around half an hour to an hour, this micro-release is set within the offices of Sigmund Corp, the organisation for which Dr Neil Watts and Dr Eva Rosalene work – the organisation that provides a new set of memories for the dying.

If you haven’t played To The Moon, first of all, we can’t be friends. Secondly, this release won’t make any sense to you. So, quickly, put that right. Here’s why.

That done, grab the Holiday Special Minisode, and you’ll learn a bunch more about Sigmund, the people who work there, and an intriguing aspect about how the company is publicly received. But mostly it explores that tension between Neil and Eva, and pokes a nice bit of fun at the original game’s biggest mistake. Well worth a look.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rustybroomhandle says:

And if http://steamdb.info/linux/ is anything to go by, we should be seeing To The Moon on Linux soon too, so us penguin-folk can besnotter some belated tissues too.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Anyone else viewing on mobile having trouble with that “insidious” drop down ad stopping you from scrolling past porpentines column on the front page?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Nvm looks ok now

• SupahSpankeh says:

That banner as on mobile is seriously annoying. Please to be stopping it or I shall unwhitelist the domain…

Faldrath says:

Oh wow, I had completely missed this. Thank you, John!

4. bill says:

I’m still waiting for the android release of to the moon…

I almost picked it up the the steam sales, but there’s a much higher chance that i’ll actually play it if i get it on android. sigh.

• Ich Will says:

Do yourself a huge favour if and when you get it mobile, make sure you play it with headphones plugged in! You’ll thank me for it, I promise!

psepho says:

Yes — it is insidious, indeed.

To The Moon was wonderful and I never finished it — I hit an apparently insurmountable bug. I have since got some more recent versions of it (bundles? Steam sales? I don’t know where these things come from) so maybe this will stimulate me to play again.

6. clorex says:

“and pokes a nice bit of fun at the original game’s biggest mistake”
    What biggest mistake of the original game do you speak of???

AngelTear says:

—-Very Very Mild Spoilers—

Having just played it, I can tell you that (I think) John ironically meant that the game’s biggest mistake was the lack of healthbars, enemies and puzzles (aka the “Not a game” debate)

Thirith says:

I’m usually a sucker for melancholy, story-heavy indie art games, but To The Moon failed to work for me (or perhaps vice versa). It lost me with the twist roughly 2/3 into the game and how it continued from that point onwards, which I didn’t find poignant but instead exasperating. The game had heart, certainly, but in the end it appeared to draw most of its sentiment from a decision I found boneheadedly stupid.

• Maxheadroom says:

I loved To The Moon, yet I cant fault the logic of your statement.

Trying to resolve the 2 sentiments is exactly the sort of thing that would make me explode if I was a computer in Star Trek

• Wedge says:

There were tons of things in the game that pissed me off (the magical high functioning uber-autism disease bothers me to no end), but the ending was just the worst. All I could think about is what horrible people you play as, and the horrible things you do to that poor man. The ending made me feel sick, seeing them wipe away the truth of a mans life and reduce it to a farcical fairytale, as if that was supposed to be a happy ending.

Don Reba says:

the magical high functioning uber-autism disease bothers me to no end

You sound jaded. I found River very relatable and realistically portrayed.

• Rosveen says:

What “magical high functioning uber-autism”? As a person with Asperger’s, I think To The Moon portrayed this condition extremely well.

TTM isn’t perfect, but it has an interesting theme and a lot of heart. It made me feel, it made me think, I’m glad that I played it. So what if the ending was heavy-handed? It was one of possible choices, one that I wouldn’t have made, but it was an option nonetheless. I don’t have to agree with the protagonists.

• Wedge says:

So you’re saying you’re entirely incapable of basic levels of communication, yet are able to live a functional life? Oh wait, you just communicated with more functionally than that character ever did, because a condition like that doesn’t fucking exist. I’d probably be diagnosed with all kind of social disorders and be on a bunch of drugs ruining my life again if I hadn’t realized almost all those diagnosis are just a modern scam by drug companies. I have nothing but vitriol for anything that perpetuates the stigma of having a certain type of personality as a disease.

• Rosveen says:

We’re not ALWAYS incapable of communication. River certainly wasn’t; she talked to Johnny, you can see it when they were kids and teenagers and I’m sure they also talked throughout their marriage. But we do often have trouble with finding the right words, the right tone to express our feelings. River was diagnosed late in life and she never learned proper verbal communication like Isabelle did. She just didn’t find words to tell Johnny about their childhood and she used the only method she knew. The meaning of paper rabbits was painfully obvious to her, how could he not remember? Our brains just get stuck like that sometimes. If we’re lucky, we find people who can put up with it and love us anyway.

Btw, I never considered my mild form of autism a disease and I don’t take any drugs for it, thank you very much (not that any drugs could help). But it still makes my life more difficult, no matter what I call it.

Don Reba says:

Similar to the above. I rarely talk and find it very difficult to view things from other people’s perspectives (I have no intuition for it, but can usually work it out given time). And, like River, I have no inclination to seek out relationships. Still, I speak three languages and work on the Large Hadron Collider.

I am sure there are many girls just like River. I guess, To The Moon does not do the best job of explaining it, if you thought it was a non-existent condition. But it is a poignant treatment of the subject nevertheless.

Jackablade says:

I’m glad I’m not completely alone (just mostly) in having some pretty major issues with To the Moon. It’s an interesting story but the entire script feels like it desperately needed another draft to cut out a lot of the awkward and occasionally incredibly jarring dialogue.