Alien Isolation: The First Trailer

By Alec Meer on January 7th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

There’s a new Alien game! It’s ok, Gearbox didn’t make it! Total War devs The Creative Assembly did! And it’s Alien rather than Aliens! And it stars Ripley’s daughter! And there’s a whole load of motion-scanner based spookiness! And there’s a preview of it right here! And there’s a trailer below! And it looks all 70s at the start! And and oh just watch it, right.

So, what do you think? Alien or Alien: Resurrection? Predator or Predators? Gremlins or Critters 3?

Again, you’ll have to look to young master Caldwell for details on what Alien: Isolation entails, for ’tis he who has seen and played The Creative Assembly’s first-person attempt at an Aliens prequel/alternative Alien sequel. Me, I just paste in the embed codes. There’ll also be a dev interview to follow tomorrow.

Update: and oh look, a dev diary video to point your motion scanner at too.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. RedViv says:

It’s ok, Gearbox didn’t make it!
    That didn’t help Colon Colonial Marines either!

• fish99 says:

Yes, from what I’ve read Gearbox’s involvement in Colonial Marines was in the areas of farming out and turd polishing.

• Baines says:

Depends on which accounts you read. Gearbox’s version was that they did turd polishing, spending several months trying to fix the broken mess that TimeGate had created.

On the other hand, an anonymous TimeGate employee said Gearbox broke the final game so badly in a rushed attempt to get something out (before potentially being sued by Sega). TimeGate had done their work to an engine spec higher than what Gearbox used in the end, and Gearbox’s “several months trying to fix” amounted to a slash and burn rush job trying to jam TimeGate’s created assets into a weaker console-capable engine. That would explain why the final game looked so much worse than earlier video, why areas were redesigned and simplified, why some animation issues existed, and even why some AI issues existed.

Of course there is also the anonymous claim that Gearbox did have a third major involvement in Colonial Marines, that of redirecting money from Colonial Marines development to fund Borderlands and Duke Nukem Forever.

• blacksun_redux says:

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• denizsi says:

If you dig the original news articles, what happened, according to anonymous whistleblowers, is GearBox kept stalling SEGA, while spending the money they received for A:CM on Borderlands 2 and outsourcing the entirety of the game to third parties, including Time Gate, with horrible mismanagement and lack of a unifying vision. With several studios working in vacuum to make portions of a game they are told to do, the end result was unlikely to be flattering in unison and it indeed did end up a mess of incongruous parts as delivered by outsourced studios, which was TSHTF for GearBox and they put in the minimum amount of work required to make all the parts work to a degree.

All claims, of course, including the official one made by GearBox.

• fish99 says:

The point though is that a lot of people use CM as an example of Gearbox being rubbish at developing games (rather than the stuff they more obviously screwed up, like being honest with Sega, selecting a studio to make the game, giving that studio the resources and support needed etc etc), and clearly to me if Gearbox had developed the whole game themselves and had been committed to the project, it would have been a much better game. CM reflects badly on Gearbox, very badly, but mainly in areas that don’t relate to actual development skills.

• Baines says:

I did see a claim that when TimeGate started on the project, they threw out the initial work that Gearbox had already done. That could speak to Gearbox’s development skills, though it may instead be just another comment on their management and responsibility. (If I hired someone else to finish a job that they started, and the first thing they did was throw away my initial work, my first thoughts would be wondering whether my initial work was really that bad or did I perhaps make a mistake in my subcontracting choice.)

• Gap Gen says:

“It’s ok, Gearbox didn’t make it!”
      Yay!
      “Total War devs The Creative Assembly did!”
      yaaay…
      (Nah, I guess it was mainly SEGA that screwed Rome 2)

• lurkalisk says:

This is something I’ve just gotten tired of trying to tell people. They, for some reason, really just love the idea of Gearbox being the worst thing since sliced genocide.

• Janichsan says:

I totally agree. Unfortunately, it doesn’t help that Gearbox was involved in another stinker – Duke Nukem Forver – which wasn’t their fault either.

2. Oberoth says:

It looks pretty good, but how many licensed games have we seen with great looking trailers, but ultimately crap games? Colonial Marines is probably the best known example, but not the only one.

• Syt says:

Well, there was Dirty Harry which had a great looking trailer and then no game …

• BobbyFizz says:

Thought you might be joking there, googled it, good greif what a shockingly bad trailer (save for the original score). Christ it looks like a Playstation 1 cutscene.

3. Wonderboy2402 says:

Looks interesting, but three reasons that quelled my excitement.
    1. Still acid burned from aliens colonial marines.
    2. Creative assembly last release rome 2 total was a huge disappointment.
    3. Is this going to be to much like the film? Guess we will see.

4. TheTingler says:

Call me cautiously excited. This is exactly the type of game I want to see with the Alien licence – Amnesia with Aliens basically – but on the other hand I’m still very burned from Colonial Marines, plus this could end up a very linear “ghost train” experience.

Will keep my eyes on it.

5. Hypnotron says:

My prediction is that there are good xenomorphs and bad xenomorphs. So far all we’ve seen are the faction of fallen “Engineers” (aka demons) that create the evil xenomorphs (hellspawn). We’ve yet to see the angelic Engineers and the good xenomorphs. Apparently Ridley Scott is determined to turn Aliens into a apocalyptic Christian story so I’m just extrapolating here and there.

So you artists out there, what would a good Xenomorph look like? It would probably have to be something that didn’t kill people by bursting out of their chests! Or maybe intelligent life is already the “good” Xenomorph born from primitive species (eg. apes for humans, lizard things for Predators).

6. Viceroy Choy says:

INTRIGUING.

7. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Not sure if I’m interested yet. I’d need to hear more Inception Horn to be sure.

8. WoundedBum says:

I like CA and I’m excited for this but they really burned me with Rome 2. It’s still a bit of a mess (though much better), so hopefully this doesn’t follow the same path.

9. blacksun_redux says:

I can barely handle facing aliens with a pulse rifle or smart-gun. If they want me to go in there with no guns, count me out. I’m scared.

10. killuminati says:

Ok Alien is great but the last release fu*k up badly and I would have (at least) waited a couple more years to let the people lower their anger for that mess of a game.

But for God sake! You have the Warhammer IP ther CA! Where the hell are the Warhammer games?
    Relic please release DOW3 and leave the bloody WW2 era that is over since 60 years!

Ok.. now chillin’

• Baines says:

After Rome, I’m not sure I want to see CA do Warhammer. I’d almost rather see an entirely different developer take Warhammer and try to out-Total War Total War with it.

11. Suopis says:

I get this Outlast vibe from it.

Hide and seek games are on a roll!

Looks good though.

12. Tridae says:

So much of this trailer looks pre-rendered. It might be “in-engine” but that doesnt mean it’s running at 30fps. There are so many animations and camera moves that look hand hand animated for the trailer rather than actual gameplay – The way the torch light shifts is a dead giveaway.

Careful. . . .this could well be another Colonial Marines type trailer.

• KillahMate says:

“So much of this trailer looks pre-rendered.”
      Yeah, that’s what happens when a game is a next-gen/PC exclusive. You’ll start seeing a lot of that pretty soon…

13. stiffkittin says:

Holy crap. Retro-futuristic is in. Great stuff seeing people no longer afraid to respect the fiction of the source material.

Comment on this story