The Necromantic Era: Deadbreed

By Adam Smith on January 7th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

During the long hours of a League of Legends or DOTA 2 session, do you occasionally grimace and howl at the bright colours flashing across the screen? Would you like your champions to be drawn from a pool of necromancers, skellingtons and leather-clad vampires, with not a wisp or an elf in sight? Deadbreed could be the MOBA for you. From a veteran team of developers, including Stefan Ljungqvist who has experience as a member of the Just Cause team, Deadbreed promises to be HARDCORE and it contains more monsters than an abandoned Universal Studios backlot. Battles are 3v3, with AI opponents available if you don’t fancy dealing with spectral smack talk. A trailer lurks in the cold earth below and beta signups are open now.

I’m not a MOBA sort of person so I’ll throw this question out to the crowd – if you’re already a disciple of the lane-pushing arts, would you be tempted to switch? Perhaps if you really really like dead things and the possibility that they might breed*? Perhaps you even have room in your life for two MOBAs? Surely not.

Here’s a full feature list, skilfully copied from a press release:

• Tactical 3vs3 battles online versus players or AI combatants.
• Choose your hero from a wide range of night-, half- and daybreed. Each hero has its own unique set of special abilities and plays differently depending on the way you equip them!
• Heroes level up with matches — Earn experience to rank up the heroes you favor.
• Artifact Items level up and wear down with matches — Earn experience to unlock upgrades and crafting relic slots for your artifacts.
• Summon totem creatures to aid you in battle.
• A team chosen Sentinel becomes the endgame bossfight challenge. The outcome of each match change your status with the Sentinels and affect their power.
• Maps have customizable options like Dungeons, side- and PvP-Quests.

Maybe I was wrong about the lack of elves. They seem the sort that might be classed as daybreeders.

I wonder if the game was originally called Nightbreed until somebody remembered David Cronenberg’s greatest performance.

“A man…called Moon.”

*there is no suggestion that the dead things will breed during play.

, , .

1. Skull says:

Nightbreed was one of my favourite films when I was a kid (I had no taste) and I own the novel. I can tell you the heroes name is Boone not Moon but nice try!

2. SupahSpankeh says:

Please please please get rid of that fucking awful Insidious 2 as at the top of the page. It slides around like a fat person on a greased radio telescope and generally makes me regret coming to RPS.

Please.

• Veeskers says:

There have been some pretty nasty ads on here lately- autoplaying video/audio ads, and that one in the Clickbait Bar below the articles that’s about a dead woman, allegedly showing a very distasteful image of the corpse in the thumbnail…
      I know RPS don’t have much direct control over this stuff, but good grief I really hate the non-adblocked internet.

Lars Westergren says:

Yes. And the “For MALE gamers only! Explicit content – banned in 23 countries!” MMO boob ad. Feel welcome yet, female gamers?

• Reapy says:

Yeah sort of interesting choice of an add bar considering the theme of writing and scorn they have for other practices. It’s ok when I make money this way, but wait woah, everyone else should just stop! But yeah AdBlock Plus for the win there, though not an option on all platforms at least you can be free on a PC from it.

Anyway this game has a cool theme, I really do like the undead, rise from the grave, sort of monster thing, but, another moba is another moba. I think you are only going to make inroads in the genera unless you have an established strong theme or huge audience like blizzard does, or are innovating. None of these things seem true from the preview video here, I wish them luck, but, eh.

• Captain Joyless says:

Yeah I don’t even feel bad for running ABP now.

Lars Westergren says:

Reapy – RPS is in a partnership with Eurogamer, so likely they can’t control which ads are served. Previously when RPS got “suspect” ads via ad partners, they temporarily suspended all ads completely.

To clarify, when I said “feel welcome yet?” I referred to gaming in general, not RPS.

• Koozer says:

From what I understand they have control over the ads in that they can opt out of certain ones if they find them. Still seems ridiculous to use Outbrain and the like though.

3. SupahSpankeh says:

Please.

Malibu Stacey says:

I wasn’t a player of Lane-pushers until I got a Dota 2 beta invite in February 2012 but almost 2 years later, I wouldn’t switch. I’ve tried a few others (not LoL yet though) like SMITE, Awesomenauts, Monday Night Combat & even Demigod but none of them have had that blend of special spices for me that DotA has.

I’ll give this a go though when it’s available.

Cinek says:

Actually, that you mention it, Demigod was the best alternative to DOTA 2 I played in. One of a few games where they knew what they wanted to build and got some nicer idea behind it instead of simply “we want money” like all the other MOBA games.

Malibu Stacey says:

Yeah out of all of them it’s the one I like the most but sadly Brad Wardell + GameSpy networking happened. Still fun for the odd bot game now & then.

Lars Westergren says:

+1 for it being 3 vs 3. It is very difficult to coordinate some time to play with 4 of my friends.

-5 for tired design of female characters in trailer.

I’ll stick to Dota 2, and single player games.

RedViv says:

Nah, see, it’s practical. She’s supposed to take an arrow right in the chest. Then she can be a ghost that is useful! Totally okay!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Just think of the money saved by the thousands of female adventurers. If they all covered their improbably-proportioned chests, the sheer quantity of silk and chainmail needed would require thousands of additional craftsmen, which the economy simply can’t support.

• loquee says:

I agree that the character design is quite uninspired, but at least all the other champions with one exception also have an exposed upper body. Probably the climate.

6. shiptonator says:

Please go to minute 4.40 for some of the best Nigthbreed based joystick twiddling ever programmed.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dIAf9TWhk

7. Turkey says:

If Capcom or Konami made PC games we would’ve already had this ages ago.

8. Geebs says:

Terrible case of heavy metal band naming logic going on there guys

9. Wauffles says:

Isn’t the point of all the fruity colours to make it much easier and quicker to tell exactly what’s going on on screen as it’s going on (see: tf2, WoW)

I wasn’t aware that it had much to do with how cool the game was supposed to be

strangeloup says:

That gnoll type fella in the trailer looks quite nifty.

Otherwise, it’s one of seemingly about a million new MOBAs coming out, so god knows if it’ll have anything to make it sufficiently distinctive to sustain a decent player base.

11. Philomelle says:

Pretty sure Nightbreed still continues as a comic book series. Clive Barker loves that thing more than everything else he ever created, including Hellraiser and the millions of dollars that made him. He will never let it die.

In any case, I don’t think I’m going to switch to this thing. I tried to switch over to Awesomenauts and DOTA2, I really did. But MOBAs are an insanely time-consuming beast and I’m still not really done with everything I wanted to do in League, so flipping to another one would do me little good.