By Adam Smith on January 7th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.
During the long hours of a League of Legends or DOTA 2 session, do you occasionally grimace and howl at the bright colours flashing across the screen? Would you like your champions to be drawn from a pool of necromancers, skellingtons and leather-clad vampires, with not a wisp or an elf in sight? Deadbreed could be the MOBA for you. From a veteran team of developers, including Stefan Ljungqvist who has experience as a member of the Just Cause team, Deadbreed promises to be HARDCORE and it contains more monsters than an abandoned Universal Studios backlot. Battles are 3v3, with AI opponents available if you don’t fancy dealing with spectral smack talk. A trailer lurks in the cold earth below and beta signups are open now.
I’m not a MOBA sort of person so I’ll throw this question out to the crowd – if you’re already a disciple of the lane-pushing arts, would you be tempted to switch? Perhaps if you really really like dead things and the possibility that they might breed*? Perhaps you even have room in your life for two MOBAs? Surely not.
Here’s a full feature list, skilfully copied from a press release:
• Tactical 3vs3 battles online versus players or AI combatants.
• Choose your hero from a wide range of night-, half- and daybreed. Each hero has its own unique set of special abilities and plays differently depending on the way you equip them!
• Heroes level up with matches — Earn experience to rank up the heroes you favor.
• Artifact Items level up and wear down with matches — Earn experience to unlock upgrades and crafting relic slots for your artifacts.
• Summon totem creatures to aid you in battle.
• A team chosen Sentinel becomes the endgame bossfight challenge. The outcome of each match change your status with the Sentinels and affect their power.
• Maps have customizable options like Dungeons, side- and PvP-Quests.
Maybe I was wrong about the lack of elves. They seem the sort that might be classed as daybreeders.
“A man…called Moon.”
*there is no suggestion that the dead things will breed during play.