Admission Quest: Valve Greenlights 50 More Games

By Nathan Grayson on January 8th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Worth noting: Depression Quest is the first Twine game ever to be greenlit. Good on it.

Every day, approximately 43 billion new indie games spring into existence from mysterious ethers far outside the realm of human comprehension. We approach these portals into The Beyond with great apprehension, then we scuttle away with our bounty, arms and hearts full of excitement and terror. We call this process “game development,” and it will probably bring about the end of the world. Until then, though, someone needs to curate these things, so Valve blasts new finds with its organizational death laser, Steam Greenlight. Yep, that’s exactly how it all works and this is not just me filling space because I’ve written far too many Greenlight posts at all. Anyway, standouts: powerful Twine darling Depression Quest, surrealist Thief usurper Tangiers, and sidescrolling epic Treasure Adventure World.

So there you go: 50 games. And hey, Windforge made it. That’s the one about mining sky whales because… yeah! Which games of this batch catch your eye?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Spongbo says:

Ah c’mon, still no Virtual Pool 4? I loved the old VP series, and was hoping to see VP4 make it through in one of these batches. Wonder what the deal is there.

• Gnoupi says:

You can always spend the waiting time playing Pool Nation, it’s quite entertaining on its own.

2. Lexx87 says:

Oh go on I may as well get a Drox Operative post in for once – WHERE IS IT

3. Crimsoneer says:

No Drox Operative either…sigh.

4. Gnoupi says:

Greenlight really changed things for Steam releases. Before, the sole fact of being released on Steam offered you a big spotlight and potential public.

Nowadays, while it’s easier to get on Steam apparently, it also means that you can’t rely only on it to promote yourself. If you get released with 40 others games at the same time, there is no hoping to remain in the “new releases” tab for a while.

• qrter says:

Saying you get through Greenlight doesn’t mean your game instantly gets released – you still have to plan a releasedate etc. There are still plenty of long previously greenlit games that have not been released.

• Erinduck says:

You don’t instantly get on Steam once you’ve been Greenlit. Since its inception, only 10 games have actually made it to Steam proper per month. The real competition is from the 50-75 games on average per month that come out independent of Greenlight.

5. LionsPhil says:

Wait, a Twine game got Greenlighted?

I…what. I don’t even know where to go with that.

• BooleanBob says:

Well, at least it settles the old argument, I guess.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

Only if you count overclocking tools too. Although I guess they could be called games if you were a masochist.

• BooleanBob says:

“Sometimes watching a number getting bigger is enough” – Kieron Gillen.

• Shieldmaiden says:

Depression Quest has actual choice and variable outcomes, plus the core mechanic conveys what it’s like to suffer from depression in a way that could only be done in an interactive medium.

• basilisk says:

Yeah, but it’s a browser game. On Steam. How does that even work?

• LogicalDash says:

The Steam client app already uses a web browser to navigate the store and community. So, I suppose that clicking Play Now on the Depression Quest page will simply take you to the Depression Quest website at the start of the game.

• LionsPhil says:

Yes, I think the technical angle is probably the most bizzare. I wouldn’t have thought Steam would want it to use Steam’s internal browser, though, since it’s privileged (it is allowed to trigger game [un]installs, etc.)—Valve have gone to quite some efforts to avoid it loading non-Valve-controlled pages, e.g. the way YouTube embeds in the community cut off related video links and such.

If it doesn’t use an actual process under Steam control, though, how can the now-playing work? Overlay? You can’t really wrap “just a hyperlink” in Steam infrastructure. What does it mean for a web application to “be on Steam”?

Also that I thought it was fully available for free.

(Nothing about “ITS NOT A GAEM”, because it pretty clearly seems to be a choose-your-own-adventure, the runty twin of the text adventure.)

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Technically it’d be pretty trivial to port a twine game to something other than web – although there is no shortage of options if you want to integrate a web browser or html/hypertext renderer into a game. I doubt you’d be able to do a game that ran in the steam browser as the browser is part of the overlay and while you *can* talk to it from your game, future updates to the browser are out of your control as a developer.

• kalirion says:

Dream Machine and Samorost 2 are also browser games, when you get right down to it.

• Runs With Foxes says:

What’s the core mechanic?

• Shieldmaiden says:

You can actually see it in the header image. Basically, you’re given a list of choices in time-honoured “Choose Your Own Adventure” fashion, but some of the choices are crossed out and unavailable and this varies with how depressed you are, which is tracked by the game.

It’s ridiculously simple, but it elegantly conveys the feeling of knowing what the best course of action is on a rational, intellectual level, while being completely unable to do it. I suffered from very severe depression and that was the hardest part to describe to people who had never experienced it. I was still having a lot of problems when I first played Depression Quest and it made me feel like someone else really understood what I was going through, which was surprisingly helpful.

• Geebs says:

Your twine game has been Greenlit. Do you:

1) Make another twine game about how happy that makes you feel?
      2) Make another twine game about how this has experience has exacerbated your angst even further?
      3) Have a twine game made about how much of a sell-out you have become, get depressed and make a twine game about it?

• Reginald XVII Archduke of Butts says:

Well, at least it’s not Drox Operative. If that ever gets greenlighted, I’m going to poke my head out the curtains and look for the 4 horsemen.

6. Meat Circus says:

Failed a skill check for seratonin.

• Runty McTall says:

I feel compelled to comment here to let you know that at least one person got that :)

• KDR_11k says:

Looked at the side effects, eh? Serotonin is responsible for the blood vessel tension, altering your level can have effects anywhere in your body. The side effect list is “basically everything”.

7. Laurentius says:

AIDA64 Extreme is not a game, it’s useful program to know your PC better.

and EVGA Precision as well.

8. nerdook says:

The good news is, now my game has an ever so slightly better chance of inching up the Greenlight charts. Go, my little game, go! :p

• Shadrach says:

What’s your game then, let’s see it.

• twig_reads says:

Hey, I loved your games on Kongregate! Thanks for the fun times and best of luck with this full blown game thingy! =)

• nerdook says:

Thanks! I’m currently at 4300 votes after 19 days, which is so-so, I guess, but I’ll concentrate on finishing the game first before worrying too much about vote counting!

• SkittleDiddler says:

I gave it a vote. Looks fun!

9. InternetBatman says:

Bullet Bros. got on. The kickstarter failed, but the devs say the game is alive and well.

10. Shadrach says:

I’m very happy to see Tangiers there, at least that’s something!

• caff says:

Yes, wish I’d seen that before on RPS & Kickstarter.

I need to pay more attention to this website.

11. RedViv says:

Some really nice things in there.
    There also was a rather interesting hiccup on the Steam stats page yesterday: http://i.imgur.com/SjmHJPv.png

• Shadrach says:

Haha, that’s cool! Looks legit to me, if like HL3 was on there you’d know it was bogus :)

Of interest to me at least:
      Killing Floor 2 (not announced, but maybe just a code for Calamity)
      Broken Age
      Nidhogg

• Runty McTall says:

Heh, that’s brilliant! Looks like a list of all the games with some sort of “Development version – please do NOT show stats publicly” tag on them and someone got an if condition the wrong way around and *only* showed them.

I’m filing some of those games away to look out for in the future :)

• welverin says:

Woo, Battleblock Theater!

Though I have to say I’m most looking forward to Super Secret Project 1.

12. Gassalasca says:

Still no Crimsonland. : ‘ (

13. grundus says:

NetKar Pro and Xplane 10, nice. Hopefully both launch with Workshop support.

14. bstard says:

Entartete Spielerei!

• KDR_11k says:

Is that a play on “entartete Kunst”?

• dE says:

No, it’s a typo and meant to say “Entartetes Spiegelei”, which is something we’ve all experienced in our lives.

15. KDR_11k says:

When I first read Hand of Fate I thought they dropped the Manos name for some reason. Then I saw Manos.

16. Jenks says:

Shadowgate!! \m/

17. DrManhatten says:

Does actually anyone still care about Steam Greenlight. Over 50% of the games coming through are shit. The shear amount of crapware coming through made me not pay attention to it anymore.