Good Cause, Old Games: 1991′s DOS Version Of HeroQuest

By Alec Meer on January 9th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

Presenting the first in an occasional series of features in which RPS writers scour their local charity shops for weird and wonderful/terrible PC games they’ve never played, then attempt to play them. This time it’s Gremlin Interactive’s 1991 boardgame adaptation HeroQuest, found for £1 in a British Heart Foundation shop in Hove.

I’ve had this idea brewing for a while, that the many charity of shops of our wounded but still-sceptred isle quietly house an alternative history of gaming. Their dusty racks and handwritten price-labels tell a different story to the Greatest Hits of interactive entertainment told by endless list features (including our very own). These donations to good causes/sacrifices on the pyre of spring cleans are so often the games that nobody quite loves but were made anyway. They’re artefacts from a machine culture, gleaming CD relics of the great churn of licensed games and cash-ins and cynical sequels and calculated attempts to ensnare the attention of boys who like guns and monsters.

It’s exceedingly rare that any charity shop – and I visit them often, for I am a lover of both oddities and bargains – offers a game I truly want to play. But perhaps there is treasure in those quiet, chintzy hills. Perhaps there are wonderful or at least brave games which passed me by, which deserve a quick gaze to fall upon them once more. Or perhaps there are marvellously terrible thing, absurdist reminders of how slovenly or poorly-judged PC gaming’s past could be.

So, HeroQuest, or Hero Quest, or HeroQuest & HeroQuest: Return of the Witch Lord – there was a charming lack of consistency back then, a more haphazard time before the Brand Is All. I found this DOS game in a suspiciously-smeared CD case with the slightest of manuals and all the perfunctory back-blurb of an umpteenth re-release while the license was still valid. This is the 1995 version, which means it’s on CD rather than floppy disk and includes the Return of the Witch Lord expansion but is otherwise essentially the initial 1991 release from sadly long-defunct Brit dev/publisher Gremlin Graphics Software Ltd, aka Gremlin Interactive.

I’ve never played their PC and Amiga adaptation of the Games Workshop/Milton Bradley co-produced 1989 boardgame, as its initial release pre-dated my first PC ownership and subsequent re-releases came after I’d moved on from the physical game. This feels like an odd ommission, for HeroQuest is most certainly a Game That Made Me. I found a piece of my own history in a charity shop.

I had many toy-fads as a child, as many children of my age in the mid 80s to mid 90s did. There were Star Wars figures of course, a bit of Lego, brief dalliances with He-Man and Thunder-Cats (which didn’t last long due to an awareness even to my very young mind that they were little more than dolls with swords) and a very extensive obsession with Transformers which continues somewhat to do this day – blame my fascination with the mechanical intricacy and design cleverness of their adjustable plastic. (I am seriously considering starting a super-low-value Patreon, just enough to cover/justify the cost of the figure, to review Transformers, and the only reason I don’t is I couldn’t take the disappointment if no-one pledged, as they surely wouldn’t. Some things are best left as dreams).

HeroQuest, which was a Britain-wide brief fad, was the ‘toy’ that marked something of a progression for me, a step up from action figures for roleplay and into figurines with rules and hobbyism. I was becoming a man, or at least some inwards-looking, socially-awkward simulacrum of one.

Of course I didn’t know it at the time, as I irregularly sat down for bouts of its simple dungeoneering and die-rolling with a caculating father and a confused sister, but it was a gateway drug to Games Workshop proper, that great and expensive fad of my early teens and one which, though abandoned for the longest time due to school days money and mockery, informs so much of what I appreciate in fantasy and scifi worlds to this day.

HeroQuest led to Space Crusade let to Advanced HeroQuest, which led to Warhammer Fantasy Battles, which led to White Dwarf, which led to Warhammer 40,000, which led to Warhammer 40,000 Epic, which led to not being able to afford clothes, which led to being a lifelong dork who writes about computer games for a living. HeroQuest made me. No HeroQuest and perhaps I’d be a lawyer or a doctor or a builder or someone who has a favourite football team.

Of course this means that my memory of HeroQuest and the reality of HeroQuest are two very different things, and this just-discovered DOS adaptation proves itself a third incarnation of this personal junction-point game entirely. To me, HeroQuest is defined by this boxart:

I studied that image religiously and often, especially on occasions when no bugger would play the game with me. It spoke of such great adventures, such heroism, such delicious carnage, and most of all an alt-universe He-Man who was a stone-cold killer rather than a namby-pamby peacenik with Barbie hair. (I knew nothing of Conan at that point). I also tried, poorly, to emulate its colours on my earliest attempts at miniature-painting, and sadly my skill in that area has not improved a jot in the two decades since.

So I was surprised and disappointed to find that first encounters with Gremlin’s PC adaptation had nothing to do with that art, its explosiveness and immediacy, and everything to with a stodgy backstory told achingly slowly:

Though I must say the music is marvellous. Some agreeably lurid artwork too, but it’s not exactly one for the classic game intros list.

I was even more surprised and disappointed to find that I couldn’t get the mouse to work. This 16-bit DOS game wouldn’t play nice out of the box on a 64-bit operating system, but I’m an old hand at DOSbox and soon had it up and running via that. I then spent almost three hours tinkering, reading forums and shouting at no-one to try and a way to move the cursor with my mouse rather than the Q, A, O and L buttons on my keyboard. I’d almost abandoned all hope when I found someone mentioning that the game’s supposed to offer a setup screen on first play; my copy had not, but deleting the CFG file from its directory should cause the setup options to reappear. They did. I picked mouse. The mouse worked. I stopped shouting, felt guilty for the rude things I’d said about DOSbox in the RPS chatroom and tried hard not to think about my wasted afternoon.

Onto the game proper, then. It necessarily diverges from the source material as the enemies and dungeon layout are controlled by unseen AI, and thus it lacks the sociable enmity of a flesh and blood player assuming the mantle of murderous dungeon master. Hotseat multiplayer of a sort can be had, with each player controlling one of the four heroes – Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf and Wizard – but realistically this adaptation will see a lone player control either a lone hero or the entire squad. No network or online multiplayer see, so if you wanted a sit-down session with friends it simply made more sense to play the actual boardgame. Unless of course you just wanted to show off, which most people with a PC at the time probably did. Bloody expensive, they were.

A digital dice rolls, movement points are assigned, corridors and rooms are stomped to and through, monsters are slain, treasure is found, secret passages are uncovered, traps are wandered into, mazes are solved, spells are cast and potions are drunk. It’s simple but clean rules, with variety and tactics wrung more from the changing dungeon layouts in each level than from the options actually available to players.

The loss of the tactile magic of seeing someone place dungeon tiles and figurines as the heroes explore is a keen one too; here you’re just wandering into fog of war and occasionally, without fanfare, there’ll be an almost static little sprite sat there. HeroQuest lived and died on the cackling of the GM as they set down their orcs and skeletons and Chaos Lords and whatnot, whereas this plays more like an infinitely slower Diablo. A major difference is that there’s an emphasis on finding secret passages, achieved by spending a character’s sole action per turn on searching a room for a hidden door. In many levels, these are the only way to reach the exit; in others they’re for shortcuts or concealed treasures. The dry declaration that a door has indeed been found is perhaps the game’s most thrilling moment, which I’m afraid is damning with faint praise.

I wonder if, at the time, with less expectations from games and being more accustomed to imaginging what was what shown, I’d have been less troubled by HeroQuest PC’s failure to show much combat or any spell effects. Combat has only the briefest animation, then the game simply declares a result, whether your enemy has survived or not (or whether you have if they’re attacking you). No ceremony, no action, just a few words in a silly font. A great shame, for the game structure and systems shine even in this rudimentary electronic form. It’s roguelike to some degree, exploring puzzle dungeons with little to no idea what each new step may turn up, taking gambles on what action to take each turn, and slowly learning what each threat particularly entails. It’s very simple and often very easy (the source game was, after all, aimed at kids), but it’s the kind of setup that with more gloss and pizazz would earn decent attention as a modern indie game.

I’m unfairly applying modern standards I know, but I don’t think this has aged badly so much as it would always have been too rudimentary and passionless, stopping at an awkward halfway house between directly emulating the boardgame and being a lightweight turn-based RPG for a lone player. The not-much-later first Space Hulk adaptation did much better, concentrating more on ethos and tone than on piety to a ruleset. Somehow, despite taking far great liberties, Space Hulk the 90s PC game feels more like Space Hulk the boardgame than HeroQuest the PC game feels like HeroQuest the boardgame.

You know what though, I’m so glad I found it in that charity shop. Never mind how delighted I always am to look back at an aspect of my child through a more inquiring (and often cynical, admittedly) adult mind, it’s such an interesting failure. Not even a failure in truth, just a little too lost to systems at the cost of what gets the blood up. It’s got a cheerfully chunky, proto-Blizzard look to it that I really dig, though. A remake? Oh, I’d love that.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that one song in HeroQuest sounds suspiciously like Golden Brown. Watch on from the harpsichords for a decent sample of how the game plays, too:

Now go, young hero! Voyage to your local charity shop and purchase an old PC you’ve never played before!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. c-Row says:

HeroQuest led to Space Crusade

You should definitely try and find a copy of Space Crusade next, though like most games of that era the music from the Amiga version was much better than from its PC counterpart.

2. Rosti says:

Ah, delightful memories! In many ways this version of HeroQuest was my XCOM and that Golden Brown-alike is written in my bones…

Looking forward to more entries in this series. Premier Manager 3 ought to be lurking in the back somewhere, right?

3. Oozo says:

This is as good an occasion as any to ask something I have been wondering for about 20 years now:
    Was the idea that the Wizard could recharge all of his spells after a dungeon was completed? We never could figure out. Recharging them all would make him overpowered, not recharching them would make him the least favourite character of the lot. (This, and the fact that all monsters only had one hitpoint stroke us as strange even at that low age.)

Well, I guess we used house rules. Lots and lots of house rules. Like the time we glued cardboard wings on an ichtyosaurus figurine to have a dragon. (I did not even know that Advanced Hero Quest existed, mind you…)

Which is all my way of saying: A game that made me as well. Thanks for the nostalgia trip, Alec.

• Reapy says:

Try asking this on boardgamegeek… I’m sure someone will know…it might even be in an FAQ or rule clarification PDF. Any boardgame I get, no matter how old, you can always find supplementary rules and addendum, FAQs and forum answers to common questions that the rules aren’t very clear on.

Also, wish I had known about this game, I probably would have played it a lot. I had the board game (lost though!! ) but only got to play it once with someone, the rest of the time I read the quest book, stared at the pieces and the box art.

The music here is pretty awesome. What is it about that old midi style, must be nostalgia driven I think.

4. Neosubu says:

I thought the title was a cleaver pun meaning HeroQuest was now on Good Old Games.. Searching for the purchase link proved to be quite the quest, and I aint no hero!

5. bill says:

Over the years I found so many great games in charity shops. For a few years they even made steam obsolete..
    I think I got Masquerade: Bloodlines for 1.99 less than a year after release. Score!

I don’t remember what other ones I got, except Hyperblade, which was also a major score.

I tried heroquest PC several times over they years (due to it’s small size and *cough* easy availability on sites that rhyme with randombear. But, like most old games I tried in that way, I didn’t get very involved and never got more than an evening of trial out of it.

• Surlywombat says:

I rarely see PC games in charity shops, but when I do they are always Beasts ‘n’ Bumpkins.

• Alphadrop says:

I got my copy of that from a charity shop.

Shame it’s mostly last years Fifa and other sports games around here, no decent stashes of jewel cased games from yesteryear.

• Necroscope says:

I procured Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection, Total War collection, Grid and Black and White for less than a tenner last time I visited one in my local town. Back of the net!!!

• gaiusimperator says:

I got my first copy of an Elder Scrolls Game (Daggerfall), and my original Dungeons and Dragons Books from an old bookshop. All for a little more than chips…

• Bugamn says:

Hyperblade was the only sports game that I really liked. A shame I can’t play it on modern computers :(

6. roryok says:

I played HeroQuest and SpaceCrusade like a demon, I have three younger brothers and I roped them all into it. Never progressed onto Warhammer stuff though, as we didn’t have a local Gamesworkshop.

Nowadays we make our own variations for each other for christmas though. I just finished making a boardgame about space pirates that ripped off a lot of Crusade but added in lots of other stuff like drinking games, Rock-Paper-Scissors for hand-to-hand combat etc.

7. FunnyB says:

My older brother had this on PC back in the 90′s. He used to play it all the time. Myself, I got the HeroQuest boardgame a few years later. It was really cool…

Watching those videos causes some serious nostalgia for the early 90s midi music in games. I especially remember the music from one of my favourite games, Utopia: The Creation of a Nation. That game was awesome in it’s day!

8. iainl says:

On the bright side, it’s possible to run the game. Half the PC games I see in charity shops are things with online registration codes that are tied to the original owner, so are pretty useless. I can’t blame the volunteer assistants for not having a clue about it, but it does make me rarely bother even looking.

9. Timberwolf says:

Playing the desktop version of Hero Quest lies on a back shelf in the basement of my gaming memories, and on closer inspection much of what’s there has been eaten by rats. I dimly recall it being a pain to get running with everything working back in the day as well, although half the blame for that can be laid at our Amstrad PC2386 and its habit of throwing occasional but consistent tantrums when faced with entirely reasonable software requests.

Most of what I remember was being bored by something that felt extremely stodgy compared to the board game. Something must have been lost in translation, because it was never quite as satisfying a dungeon delver as Hack, or household favourite Eye of the Beholder. I’m pretty sure the reason the gaming memory is confined to being buried behind something else on a dusty shelf is because exactly the same thing happened to the physical copy.

10. Great Cthulhu says:

Oh, that wonderful artwork takes me back… Used to stare at it often in the toy store, back when I was a young lad who had no chance of ever getting the money to buy it.

I never did get to play it. Does it hold up compared to current board games?

• Zekiel says:

Not really. It was glorious when I was 10, but its mainly: Roll dice to move. Roll dice to attack. Roll dice to defend. Occasionally find treasure. Casting spells was kind of fun, although the effectiveness was all over the shop. Incidentally I always felt it was unbalanced in favour of the heroes but as the Evil Wizard player I always had such a great time commanding a small army of minions that I never minded I always lost.

• Alphadrop says:

Not really, it’s sorta boring though very pretty to look at. It’s too reliant on the dice rolls and the balancing is all over the place with the elf being essentially useless compared to everyone else. Still got a half a copy of it stashed away, the dungeon furniture a friend gave away to someone else by accident ’cause he’s a twerp.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I quickly ended up ignoring HeroQuest shortly after I bought it and using all its plastic bits for my Advanced HeroQuest sessions, if that tells you anything.

• MikoSquiz says:

Well, it’s not exactly Arkham Horror.

..I recommend that you play Arkham Horror.

11. Optimaximal says:

If you squint and mentally cut his hair, the Barbarian looks like an angry, topless Patrick Troughton!

12. melnificent says:

I spent many hours playing the board game version and expansions, and played this version on the C64 with a joystick. Such fun.

My best charity shop find was the acclaimed and very overlooked Albion for £1.

13. Themadcow says:

I remember this!

Not very well though… it’s pretty much only the top screen shot (and box art) that holds any memories. That box art reminds me of D W Bradleys ‘Wizards and Warriors’ mixed with a dash of Barbarian.

14. frightlever says:

Great idea for a feature.

15. Jac says:

Haven’t read the article yet but this is a concept most fantastic.

Great first find as well.vWas obsessed with the boardgame when I was a nipper – can’t believe i didn’t know this game existed.

16. Volcanu says:

Though I havent tossed a die in anger or painted a model in many a year, like Alec I have never quite been able to shake off the lure of Warhammer, especially 40k.

I still enjoy the computer games, but cant shake off the feeling that liking it is something of a shameful secret to be hidden from the mockery of the rest of the world. Probably a hangover from high school where I kept my affinity for all things GW related under wraps to avoid becoming a social pariah. Every now and then I pause wistfully when I pass a GW store, but a combination of living in a small london flat, free time being at a premium and the fact I have since lost touch with the friends I used to game with, means I doubt I will ever get back into it. Unless of course I spawn a son one day who I can force into playing. Until then I will eagerly play any (not terrible) computer games in the setting…

• thekeats1999 says:

It’s funny really, at 42 years of age, I have returned to certain aspects of my childhood. One of them being my painfully bad attempts at painting 40K miniatures. This is all with a twofold view of getting my non-existent painting skills up to snuff and also to maybe start an army and try to get back into the wargaming side of things.

But what I had forgotten is how much of a drug this thing is. It isn’t just the miniatures or the rules. It is the somewhat calming and theraputic nature of the assembling and painting of your army (and possibly the smell of the model cement). Of trying to figure out the make up of my army. This is all before I have found a group to play against.

I was never ashamed to admit my hobby. It was just one more stigma (for others to judge me by, not what I actually thought) to have in the 80′s. At 16 I was comic reading, computer game playing, cartoon watching geek. They only ever really died down due to my lack of serious funds until recent years. But it has helped that everywhere I have been there has been someone on hand who also shares the same interests. Whether it is someone who reads comics or plays Magic The Gathering or, as I found recently, somebody who does play Warhammer 40K with his lad.

17. meepmeep says:

I used to play this on the Amiga. The interface was clunky and horrible, even for the time, but the gameplay was surprisingly tactical, figuring out how to complete each dungeon – something of the Desktop Dungeons about it.

18. Syme says:

Wow, I remember getting a floppy disk version of this once as a birthday present when I was about 7 from a friend who had about 6 different computers in home and all that Warhammer type stuff.

As I recall there’s even a “moral choice” element to one mission. Your retrieve some gold for someone and at the end you’re told you can either return it or keep it for yourself. If you return it, this person lets you have a large share of it but if you keep it all for yourself you’re told “you’ll never be a true hero.” But there’s no other kind of punishment or bad ending because of this.

19. JB says:

I fondly remember getting the game on my Spectrum on my 15th birthday. I was in hospital at the time, so I couldn’t play the board game OR the Spectrum game at the time. Had a lot of fun with both though, the board game with friends and the computer version when I was on my own.

Was the DOS version the same as the Speccy one in that the monsters wouldn’t pursue you from one section of a corridor to another? That was my main bugbear with the electronic version really.

20. Jimbo says:

HeroQuest on Amiga was one of my absolute favourites when I was a little tiny child. It’s one of those where I can’t remember too much specific about it, whether it was even a good game, or even what it was called until some recent googling. All I know is that I loved it at that age (6ish I’d guess), and that’s enough. I think playing it again now would probably be a mistake.

The only other game I can think of that I’d put in that category is Iron Lord, which must have been a similar time. Anything much later than 91-92ish and I was into Bullfrog territory and old enough to remember them properly and appreciate that they were genuinely good games.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Me and three friends spent tons of hours with the Amiga version. It was one of the best multiplayer games at the time. Every player had a separate save disk with his character on it and if you died it meant you got no loot or better gear from the level before the group advanced to the next. It was coop in the same way as Munchkin. Someone please do a remake! I don’t care if it’s related to Warhammer or not (or even fantasy).

• RuySan says:

I also played this one to death on the Amiga. The graphical style on the Amiga version is much more appealing to me, even though it seems that it has less colours.

Alec, and if you like the music on the PC version, you should try the Amiga, as it’s much better. That cool song in the PC intro is the in-game music on the miggy (and sounds much better) and there’s another (great) intro song.

• Jimbo says:

I think the Amiga intro music was probably a big part of why I liked it so much. Best ‘I am going on an adventure!’ music ever.

21. Schadenfreude says:

I had the sequel on the Amiga, Legacy of Sorasil I seem to recall was the subtitle. Graphically it was a step up but it didn’t hold my interest very long considering I had recently bought Darkmere; now that was a game with atmosphere.

22. Iscannon says:

I’m off to raid the charity shops of Hove and sell the games to Alec at an exorbitant price, brb.

23. sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

Never played Heroquest (any version), but I do remember that box art. It was everywhere. Everywhere I tell you. And I remember wanting the game but, for some reason, never actually getting it.

24. DrScuttles says:

Though I only ever played Hero Quest a few times at a friend’s house, my older brother did eventually buy Warhammer Quest which was quite entertaining. Especially with some of the additional characters you could buy.
    And I would totally back Transformers reviews. I’d just ask for the photography to verge on the pornographic.

25. skalpadda says:

Just wanted to say I enjoyed this. More of this sort of thing, please.

26. DigitalImpostor says:

Played three version of the game; PC floppy (which I still have), Commodore 64 and the board game.

27. TheTingler says:

Unfortunately the PC and console intro just uses the in-game music, which while good isn’t, well, this: a rock version of the Amiga theme.

Oh, and here’s the remix of the in-game theme too, which is equally good.

28. waltC says:

I love the old games–it’s amazing how many of them I managed to miss, including this one–even though I was an active gamer (Amiga mostly) back in ’91. The things you can do with Dosbox these days…have you tried running DOSbox with a different MIDI setup (or is that FM synthesis?)? Dos box on Windows 8.1 x64 with Coolsoft’s VirtualMidiSynth breathes new life into many a midi-scored game–like Realms of the Haunting, for instance, or Tex Murphy’s Overseer and DOS games. Just thought I’d mention it.

This game reminded me of Dragon Wars, Amiga, to a great extent, at least from the videos of the game play. Thanks for the memories!

29. Palindrome says:

There is almost no chance of a remake as the IP is mired in legal hell, at least a PC remake. Due to the vagaries of international copyright law a Spanish company has acquired the Spanish rights to Heroquest, who will be shipping internationally of course, and has launched a crowd funding campaign (which has already succeeded) http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/heroquest-25-aniversario/necesidades/

This was my first RPG and it is also the first game that I literally spent all day playing. Its not aged very well though.

30. Notebooked says:

My local charity shop has a copy of City of Heroes. Seeing it made my heartstrings twang a bit.

31. strangeloup says:

Due to the state of the case, the angle of the photograph, and having just got up from a nap, I read the tagline on the box as “Computer Adventure in a World of Math”.

Now that would be quite the thing.

32. edwardoka says:

OK, so not one person has said this. I am deeply disappointed in the RPS community that the responsibility has fallen to me, but here goes.

FIRE OF WRATH!

33. Hailencte says:

Google is paying 75$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On Sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. Useful site…. http://WWW.BAY93.COM

34. psepho says:

I did not play HeroQuest and I am now a lawyer. So what you say is almost certainly true.

Although at some level I rather wish I had played HeroQuest…

35. mirdza says:

I remember this being awesome the last time I played it on C64…

36. ZombieFan says:

I played this quite a bit on the Amiga. Good fun but it has its flaws such as the overpowered crossbow. You could use it to shoot bolts from where you were standing into neighbouring sections of the map. Since the monsters only moved if you were in the same section you could quickly move into a section to uncover it and then move out. You were then free to fire bolts into that section without retaliation.

The game gets a bit boring at that point.

37. Bejjan says:

Played this a lot on the Amiga. The trick was to get enough money for a crossbow. Why? Well I realised that monsters didn’t leave the room, so you would just open the door, and then shoot everything inside :)

38. satan says:

Some kid used to bring the board game to school at the end of every year, everybody would queue up to play it, being so dirt poor at the time I used to dream of owning it. Had no idea there was a video game of it!

39. Numerical says:

Hell I had the table-top version of this game until about a year ago when I sold it. Got it in 1990 iirc. Never played the computer version, though. I don’t see how it could be as fun without the co-op play., that was the magic of table-top games which is sadly lost in most gaming nowadays ever since broadband became the norm. Ah, I miss LAN parties! Still have my old network switch connector from those days.

40. Grey_Ghost says:

The only thing I know about HeroQuest is that it was related to why one of my favorite game series (Hero’s Quest) changed it’s name to Quest for Glory… which I really don’t like.

41. UKPartisan says:

On one rather magical day in 2010, I walked out of a Barnado’s with mint fully boxed and complete examples of Grim Fandango, Falcon 4, Civilization 2, Civilization Test of Time and Star Trek’s Armada and Birth of the Federation. All for £2.50 each!

I keep returning to charity shops hoping to find a hidden bounty like that, alas to no avail.

42. Dan Griliopoulos says:

Worth noting, I did a whole Gaming Made Me on Games Workshop back in the day: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/07/gaming-made-me-games-workshop-made-me/

43. CdrJameson says:

Wow.
    Flashback to hours of three-player hotseat Space Crusade on the ST.
    Cooperate on the way in – backstabbing on the way out. Fear me as my Door Controls and Scanner land your marines in it.
    Now I’m stuck with the theme music in my head too.

I have never played Heroquest.

44. jmtd says:

I recall faintly enjoying this, although the maps were identical to the board game campaign so if you had the board game manual you could walk through it easily. HeroQuest 2 always looked nice(r) but I never played that one.

Comment on this story