Still Many, Many DayZ Until DayZ Enters Beta, Is Done

By Nathan Grayson on January 9th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Some zombies bite. Others scratch and claw. And this one? Well, she pinches, evidently.

People can finally play DayZ’s standalone alpha en masse, and so they have. As of Bohemia’s last count, the still ultra-buggy alpha had fallen into the ravenous hands of 875,000 players, which totals out to 8,750,000 fingers. Even rockstars who crowdsurf at every show can’t boast that. Despite that, the newly reborn undead survivor isn’t even close to finished – or out of alpha, for that matter. Keeping in line with the game’s appropriately shambly development cycle, DayZ’s beta won’t even kick off until the end of 2014. Don’t expect to see this one in any state resembling “finished” for quite some time yet.

The road ahead is a lengthy one, but Bohemia at least has a map. The developer outlined what’s on the docket for DayZ’s next year of development in a blog post. Here are the biggest priorities:

• Server performance, stability and security
  • Animals & hunting
  • Cooking & gathering resources
  • Playable user customizable vehicles
  • Player created constructions in the environment
  • More complex interactions with the environment and crafting options
  • Streamlined user actions and interface
  • Control and animations expanded and improved for fluidity
  • Upgraded graphics and physics engine (including ragdoll, etc.)
  • Support of user mods and more flexibility for user hosted servers and game types

In the short term, expect to see crucial issues like bugginess and server stability get the most attention. The rest will come when the game’s still rickety framework is ready to support it.

Both Rich and Jim have found what’s already in the game to be quite compelling, though also more prone to breakdowns than a fortuitously discovered automobile in a zombie roadtrip movie. How have you been finding your journeys into this melting pot of frightening, heartwarming, utterly human chaos?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Big Murray says:

8.749.999 fingers.

You’re forgetting Barry’s accident.

• RedViv says:

And I imagine this game would be quite liked by DIY people, so this figure really can’t be accurate at all! Only another sign of the horrible nature of games so-called-journalism!

2. SkittleDiddler says:

I suppose once it hits beta Rocket is going to raise the price by $20?

• bstard says:

Happy to pay if this game delivers the concept. I’m afraid Dayz will rise in promise, but die unfulfilled.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Hell, I’d buy it instantly if there were any believable guarantee that the game is going to be substantially improved a year from now.

• puppybeard says:

I’d be surprised if it increased by more than a fiver at each step.
      I know they mentioned Minecraft pricing, but they’ve started off 20 quid higher.
      They’ve pulled in over €20m so far, so DayZ development costs may well be covered, but then maybe Bohemia would like to fund more games and possibly buy some big fancy coats, so we’ll see.

The only guarantee is that there will be tears.

3. Armante says:

Hard to believe this has already pulled in 875,000 x $US30 – Steam’s 30% = well over US$18,000,000

staggering. no wonder Bohemia was happy to let Rocket run with this and give him a team of people.

• sparks50 says:

I think the mod at least doubled the sale of Arma 2 as well.

4. wakham says:

It is unbelievable how much hype this game is still getting. It’s in the news every week even though it has been in alpha for a is making little progress in development. Could we get the next update when something actually happens.

• puppybeard says:

There’s getting hype, and there’s having relevance. I believe DayZ is being covered for it’s relevance.

Even for people who don’t like it, (I love it) I believe there are points to be made about a game with it’s roots in the modding community of a specialist title doing all the things DayZ has done. Leaving to one side the impression it must be making on the business side of games, I’ve never seen a game that still hasn’t had a full release have so many titles that take influence (that’s subjective of course) from it.

Sure, DayZ a month ago and DayZ today aren’t very different as pieces of software, but the context is. Chances are, in two weeks time, a million people will have backed this horse. I haven’t made a game, so I’ve no idea if the development progress is fast or slow compared to relevant titles.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

It might be deserving of the hype. I don’t own the alpha, not usually a pre-order/early-access kinda-guy, but every single time I hang out with my roommate and watch him play, I am massively entertained. Gales of laughter, quiet tense moments, the thrill of discovery. Even the bugs are fun. Last night we discovered that if you blow up a gas pump with a melee weapon, it continues to explode once every minute until the server resets. Sure, it should be fixed and will be eventually, but right now it’s just as gamey as anything else, and there is definitely fun to be had, and in a way that no other games really offer right now.

5. clumsyandshy says:

How many ppl are on the DayZ team over at Bohemia?

• 5318008 says:

There are 5 people on the DayZ dev team, I believe.
      I think some of them are also working on updating ArmA3 too.

Rocket / Dean Hall
      Gralfim
      Matt
      Maruk
      Suma

6. fionny says:

I think it’s unfair to say the game is really buggy, it really isn’t… Crashes? I’ve had none. Hackers? Seen none. Etc. … Bf4 was much worse on full launch.

Now it IS missing lots.. Its bare bones… Its not hard to survive and it easy enough to get good stuff…. So I’m looking forward to all the new stuff to be added.

• smiddy says:

Exactly, why is there all this fuss over something being “finished” these days?

I play finished games all the time, but its no guarantee of polish or stability. Or fun.

DayZ has its problems but it seems to have a lot more happy customers than many AAA titles these days.

• Fatrat says:

It’s a bit unfair to assume that if you have no problems, nobody else does. I’ve tried this on my i7 rig with a 570 GTX and it took literally 2 minutes to change simple graphics settings after hitting Apply. Then crashed shortly after. I upgraded to a 780 and even reinstalled Windows over the holidays and i still can barely play.

I’d like to enjoy it like so many apparently after, but i can’t, yet. I don’t expect polish, but i would like to be able to play, especially when the pricetag for this was quite a premium as far as early access goes (if we ignore Planetary Annihilation and certain other Kickstarter “deals”). ArmA 3 was alpha when i bought it but was more polished than most AAA games, so i guess i was hoping he’d be using the same bar of measurement as his employers.

• fionny says:

My experience isn’t my own alone… Its based on a community of us who play together will no issues. All on a variety of machines and specs…..

Sorry you are having trouble though. Head to their forums and they might be able to help!

• smiddy says:

As a PC gamer with a modest rig I can sympathise my good fellow. But unfortunately in this day and age it seems that a game “Going Gold” is no seal of quality. While there may be a great many issues with an Early Access title I’m surprised when people forget that you can find just as many, even more in a AAA release. DayZ does not run well on my PC, but I believe it will improve. It’s why I was willing to pay for it. Faith, I suppose. If things don’t improve I accept that I will have only myself to blame when I myself become disappointed.

• Donjo says:

Lot’s of problems for me – died for no reason the other day with lots of nice gear, so frustrating to be back on the coast, died falling off small ladders, a friend shot me when I glitched through a wall, constantly refining graphics settings that seem to reset for no reason, etc, etc… HOWEVER – it’s all worth it! An encounter with another player (who doesn’t immediately shoot) is more edge of the seat than any other game I’ve played… not knowing what’s going to happen, having to improvise, interact and react to the situation that could go very wrong at any second… Getting away alive after some ultra tense bartering and turning around to check the other player, who is also checking to see what you do, from the other side of a town is just awesome.

• Darth Grabass says:

What’s your definition of buggy? From my experience (both firsthand as well as watching a lot of youtube), I’d definitely call it buggy. There are numerous repeatable glitches that directly affect gameplay. Items appear and disappear from inventories on a regular basis, you’ll glitch through walls, it’s possible to get stuck inside walls/floors/stairs/etc…

• 5318008 says:

I’ve had probably the perfect DayZ experience, no crashes, no hackers, more than 50% of the people I’ve met are friendly…
      I mean, I’ve got a bad-medium PC that has seen better dayz. However, while I am playing on medium graphics, I am getting far better frames than ArmA2 medium graphics, and they’re better in the standalone anyway.

Perhaps worse PCs run this game better? xD

I’m honestly a big fan of the game and Rocket, but after 50 hours I’m a bit bored, it’s too similar to the default game. When vehicles are brought in it will be a completely different story. I predict a spike in sales when vehicles are put into the game, unless nobody hears about it.

7. RProxyOnly says:

Thought this ‘Hall’ guy was a shady bastard?

Wasn’t there a whole bunch of shit over DayZ originally… Why are people tripping over themselves to support this?

• theblumeanie says:

You might be thinking of the The War Z, which eventually became Infestation: Survivor Stories. It was pulled from Steam and made a lot of people angry, there was a good amount of controversy about it. It seemed to a lot of people like a money grab from the start, trying to ride the coattails of DayZ’s success.

DayZ, and by extension Rocket (Hall), have had a very supportive fan base since DayZ’s initial explosion.

• RProxyOnly says:

Thank you for that clarification.. it was WarZ I was thinking about.

• Slazia says:

They are still updating WarZ / Infestation. I actually logged on today to see what was up. Still really badly coded, the engine takes forever to load. But I still quite like it for some reason. The devs made some bad mistakes when they launched it, but I think they may honestly be still trying to fix it. They could have easily abandonded it by now.

8. trjp says:

Here’s a thing – they claim a LOT of sales but it’s an online-only game and it’s peak daily players is in the mid 40ks…

I find it hard to believe that only 1/20th of the people who bought that game bother to play it in any given 24 hour period – that seems a bit weird to me?

That said – it was the biggest selling game through the entire Steam Xmas Sale which is a first I think!?

There’s also not been much (if any) of a dropoff in people playing ARMA II (on which the mod ran IIRC?) so I guess people are still happy over there?

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Those are concurrent player numbers, not unique player numbers in a day. So only as many 1/20th of the people who bought the game are playing it at any single moment.

9. danijami23 says:

they’ve earned 18million dollars out of us, and it’s not coming out of beta till 2014? Bloody hell, pull you fingers out lads.

10. Hailencte says:

Google is paying 75$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On Sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. Useful site…. http://WWW.BAY93.COM